• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Players I require your assistance

Narelex

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone I'm Narelex. I'm currently running the MK matchup-list for the 3.6b over on the MK forums.

One of my main practice partners who mains Ike has been out of commission for awhile so I haven't been able to get a good feel for the MU between Ike and MK this patch.

Post your thoughts here and I'll take everything into consideration. Let me know things like Ike's grab followups, his edgeguards, his tech chases etc Every little bit helps.

Hope to hear from you all soon.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
I main Ike and go meta knight instead of the Ike ditto because **** that ****... And I do that mu a lot. So lemme just throw out what I think of this matchup.

1) meta knight should Never try to control space, meta knight can't control space well enough to snuff Ike out. Dash dance camping into dtilt is a good approach. if Ike shields the dtilt just jump and try to pressure him and cross him up (As his oos options consists of grab and Wavedash), or just retreat.

2) as meta knight is more mobile then Ike, Ike will likely be playing more passively, he'll be spacing hard and likely won't want to approach. You can approach this by rushing him down, or baiting him to throw out some move

3) Ike shouldn't recover against meta knight. If he recovers low, just ledge drop and throw out a rising nair. This snuffs both quick draw and aether, although for aether you'll likely go deep. This sounds hard but once you get the timing done, gimping Ike is cake. When recovering high, meta knight should not commit, just stay on the ground, near the ledge and react. If he stalls to the ledge, grab ledge, if he tries to recover on a high platform, get there ASAP. Gimping Ike when he recovers high is far harder, but it is doable.

4) mixup your own recovery. Ike needs one read to get you killed on your recovery. Rarely go for the same thing twice and try to recover high. Side b is ass on Ike because it doesn't auto grab ledge and Ike can fsmash you. Nadoing to a high platform is good from what I've seen, but don't if you're close enough to the ground to get fsmashed

5) Ike can get some good **** off a grab off stage. Like all ff, if you jump right after being thrown offstage... Ike can dair you. Just wait a second, and don't get flustered

Essentially, you both kinda try to grab each other by the balls and never let go, but meta knight has better pressure and offstage tools.

Last edited:

Narelex

Smash Journeyman
I main Ike and go meta knight instead of the Ike ditto because **** that ****... And I do that mu a lot. So lemme just throw out what I think of this matchup.

1) meta knight should Never try to control space, meta knight can't control space well enough to snuff Ike out. Dash dance camping into dtilt is a good approach. if Ike shields the dtilt just jump and try to pressure him and cross him up (As his oos options consists of grab and Wavedash), or just retreat.

2) as meta knight is more mobile then Ike, Ike will likely be playing more passively, he'll be spacing hard and likely won't want to approach. You can approach this by rushing him down, or baiting him to throw out some move

3) Ike shouldn't It recover against meta knight. If he recovers low, just ledge drop and throw out a rising nair. This sniffs both quick draw and aether, although for aether you'll likely go deep. This sounds hard but once you get the timing done, gimping Ike is cake. When recovering high, meta knight should not commit, just stay on the ground, near the ledge and react. If he stalls to the ledge, grab ledge, if he tries to recover on a high platform, get there ASAP. Gimping Ike when he recovers high is far harder, but it is doable.

4) mixup your own recovery. Ike needs one read to get you killed on your recovery. Rarely go for the same thing twice and try to recover high. Side b is *** on Ike because it doesn't auto grab ledge and Ike can fsmash you. Nadoing to a high platform is good from what I've seen, but don't if you're close enough to the ground to get fsmashed

5) Ike can get some good **** off a grab off stage. Like all ff, if you jump right after being thrown offstage... Ike can dair you. Just wait a second, and don't get flustered

Essentially, you both kinda try to grab each other by the balls and never let go, but meta knight has better pressure and offstage tools.
Thanks for the input, If you had to put it in a list what category would you say? I currently have it listed as a slight edge for MK (favourable) on my list.

Luckily I didn't seem to not know any of this information from my time playing against Ike in 3.5 so that's good to see.

Last edited:

Narelex

Smash Journeyman
Yeah 60:40 sounds about right
favourable on my list is the equivalent of a 55/45 for MK (kinda)

I'm not a big fan of using numbers for the list yet since its so early any number other then 50/50 would sound like it was made up due to the lack of data we have about PM match-ups in general.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
If you go by that scale, it's likely only favorable. I see 60:40 as a slight advantage and kinda think 55:45 as essentially even, but numbers mean different things here.

Also remember, my perspective in this mu is an Ike player who uses meta knight against Ike. It's only one perspective, and I rarely have the inverse happen to me.

Last edited:

Narelex

Smash Journeyman
If you go by that scale, it's likely only favorable. I see 60:40 as a slight advantage and kinda think 55:45 as essentially even, bit numbers mean different things here.

Also remember, my perspective in this mu is an Ike player who uses meta knight against Ike. It's only one perspective, and I rarely have the inverse happen to me.
Understood, but I've also played the MU and it sounds like its basically the same as always, so I'm not just going off the opinion of one person so DW.

Last edited:
Top Bottom