• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike movement option

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
Hey all, I've been experimenting with a FH>Quickdraw movement option that has allowed me to approach easier against projectile characters. I'm not sure how practical it is in many MUs, but it seems like a good mixup. But if you Quickdraw right out of full hop you don't have landing lag and I've been able to hop Link's boomerang and perfect shield an arrow or anything and it puts Ike right up in Link's face. Let me know if this is a terrible option or if can be useful. I'm not around much so if you've discussed it before tell I'm dumb and ugly and call me names because I deserve it.

D

Deleted member

[deleting]

Last edited by a moderator:

McKnightlíght

NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
I don't think name-calling is necessary? Yeah, that's a pretty good option as long as you don't get predictable with it. Like anything else, it has it's place in Ike's gameplay.
Do we know if Quickdraw ledge cancels?

D

Deleted member

[deleting]

Last edited by a moderator:
NNID
Redwalker
3DS FC
2423-3213-8820
Hmm, I've never tried this before. I have a very annoying Tink in my meta. I usualy do a shallow hop right over the boomerang then shield. Maybe the QD might get me in there quicker. But like mirror said, just as long as you don't get predictable.

Also keep in mind, the Fair and I think Nair will eat Ryu's Hadoken. I like to SHFF Fair if I'm close enough and cut through the Hadoken to hit Ryu. Also, Ike's Dash Attack will cut through the Hadoken as well.

McKnightlíght

NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
Hmm, I've never tried this before. I have a very annoying Tink in my meta. I usualy do a shallow hop right over the boomerang then shield. Maybe the QD might get me in there quicker. But like mirror said, just as long as you don't get predictable.

Also keep in mind, the Fair and I think Nair will eat Ryu's Hadoken. I like to SHFF Fair if I'm close enough and cut through the Hadoken to hit Ryu. Also, Ike's Dash Attack will cut through the Hadoken as well.
See I've tried using aerials against the likes of Link and Villager and such but never felt good about it. This allows you to hop the projectile and act out of it immediately. I'll also been experimenting with FH>QD on stage to ledge trump>bair. It's really hard to get the spacing down w/o killing yourself, but it could be useful every once in a while.

Rebel13

Banned via Warnings
It's also worth using SHAD (short-hop air-dodge) to get over projectiles, since Ike can buffer it and have no landing lag from air-dodging near the ground. I like to cross up projectile users with it once you get closer, since they generally try to either roll away or throw out a fast move when you get to them, and then you end up either following their roll or dodging the hit.

Last edited:

BanGaRanG

Smash Rookie
I like to think of FHQDC as a "zone of control extender". if you think of all the available space Ike can control, it's limited basically to the reach of fair, ftilt, and dtilt at the most extreme points. the QD cancel allows you to control more space as you can cover and pressure your opponent more effectively with it if used correctly as has been stated before while extending your control over the stage.

If you think about it that way instead of "how can I get in my opponent's face" it will clarify when and when not to use this tech as a mixup or even as an approach.

Rochefortt

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rochefortt264
Not to mention this can be a really fun mix-up off-stage. If you really get familiar with getting it to cancel at any height, you can give your opponent a 50-50 chance to read exactly how you'll be coming back. I usually like to start QD really high up off the stage to watch and see where my opponent is going to try and stop me. If I see them getting closer to the edge than I can cancel it on the other side of the stage. If they are trying to read where you'll cancel on the stage, you can just wait it out and catch the edge. Of course getting careless with this can be an unnecessary stock so, again, being extremely comfortable with how long it needs to be charged relative to what height you're trying to cancel makes all the difference.

Sorry if this was off the topic of approaching projectile characters I just thought it was worth noting.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Do we know if Quickdraw ledge cancels?
From my quick testing, it looks like it doesn't. There's this skid animation that doesn't let him slide off. If you do it from a full hop then it looks similar to a ledge cancel, but it really isn't.
Also, is it really called FHQDC?

McKnightlíght

NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
From my quick testing, it looks like it doesn't. There's this skid animation that doesn't let him slide off. If you do it from a full hop then it looks similar to a ledge cancel, but it really isn't.
Also, is it really called FHQDC?
Yeah technically it doesn't but it's irrelevant since there is no end lag anyway. FHQDC is a lot of letters for something so simple. Let's just call it "The Evan" and go on with our lives :secretkpop:

Top Bottom