• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike matchup

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I can deal with most swordies. I play footsies with them and outspace them until I can land a grab, pk fire, or aerial string and then I play really aggressively, grab advantage, and don’t give it back all fight. Now that works with most of the FE characters and even Cloud but it doesn’t seem to work that well with Ike. His sword is just so long and if he touches you it’s like 30% and if he’s got platforms to ladder on he can even kill early. I’ll beat Ikes if they aren’t good but if an Ike is a little below my skill level to my skill level I usually lose. That sword is just so long and spaces so well. I’ll get my strings in sometimes but it seems like there’s minuscule opportunity with him. Does anyone else have trouble with Ike? Is he just a really bad matchup or am I playing it wrong?

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
It’s a rough matchup for sure, but here are a few things I’ve found helpful:

If you start to pick up patterns in the opponents jumps, don’t hesitate to anticipate their jump and throw out a move. Your aerials may be smaller but, save for Ike’s bair, your aerials are faster. If they tend to jump when they’re right next you, you can throw out a PKT to chase them or even redirect for a PKT2. That will make them less willing to use aerials right next you, and Ness should theoretically have the stronger mid-range game with his projectiles. Make sure you capitalize heavily on your advantage state since Ike lacks any “get off me” moves and has terrible mobility.

Practicing parrying is important generally, but is even more so against swords. A parry will often be the only way to escape pressure and punish landings.

Edgeguarding Ike as Ness is also pretty strong. Challenge his side b with PKT’s tail or even PK flash, and if he’s forced to use aether, spike him or PK fire him.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
It’s a rough matchup for sure, but here are a few things I’ve found helpful:

If you start to pick up patterns in the opponents jumps, don’t hesitate to anticipate their jump and throw out a move. Your aerials may be smaller but, save for Ike’s bair, your aerials are faster. If they tend to jump when they’re right next you, you can throw out a PKT to chase them or even redirect for a PKT2. That will make them less willing to use aerials right next you, and Ness should theoretically have the stronger mid-range game with his projectiles. Make sure you capitalize heavily on your advantage state since Ike lacks any “get off me” moves and has terrible mobility.

Practicing parrying is important generally, but is even more so against swords. A parry will often be the only way to escape pressure and punish landings.

Edgeguarding Ike as Ness is also pretty strong. Challenge his side b with PKT’s tail or even PK flash, and if he’s forced to use aether, spike him or PK fire him.
Thanks for the advice! I’ll definitely try all of this

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
He can't get down very well against PKT spam. It makes me feel dirty but a win is a win...

Top Bottom