• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Frametraps

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
I've been having a lot of fun playing a frame trap heavy style of Ike recently. Nothing too complicated just the classic max spaced fair on shield into jab to catch the opponent hitting a button. So I've been wondering what are some of your personal favorite frame traps you've found with Ike?

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Focus more on landing traps

Frame trap through air dodge timings.

goose32

Smash Cadet
Focus more on landing traps

Frame trap through air dodge timings.
Frame traps are when you leave what appears to be an opening, yet you throw out a move to hit them as soon as they drop their guard. Forcing an opponent to air dodge or get drilled is what the smash community (mistakenly) commonly refers to as a frame trap, but that's not what it means in the broader fighting game community.

I like nairs / fairs into d - tilts, as well as the one you listed, Scruffy. D - tilt comes out fast enough to beat most options if the aerial is spaced correctly.

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
Frame traps are when you leave what appears to be an opening, yet you throw out a move to hit them as soon as they drop their guard. Forcing an opponent to air dodge or get drilled is what the smash community (mistakenly) commonly refers to as a frame trap, but that's not what it means in the broader fighting game community.

I like nairs / fairs into d - tilts, as well as the one you listed, Scruffy. D - tilt comes out fast enough to beat most options if the aerial is spaced correctly.
I hadn't thought of using d-tilt, it's even frame 5 so it has the same start up as jab 1 and it pops them up for an aerial, that's a great idea!

Arrei

Smash Lord
Last I checked, Jab was frame 4 and Dtilt was frame 7. It's Corrin who has the frame 5 Jab and Dtilt.

As far as traps go, I've scored far more kills than I should have by simply landing in front of a shielding opponent into a raw Utilt, banking on them trying for an OoS punish on the aerial they were expecting to hit their shield or trying to prevent a tomahawk by grabbing first.

Last edited:

JTPROG

Smash Rookie
Last I checked, Jab was frame 4 and Dtilt was frame 7. It's Corrin who has the frame 5 Jab and Dtilt.

As far as traps go, I've scored far more kills than I should have by simply landing in front of a shielding opponent into a raw Utilt, banking on them trying for an OoS punish on the aerial they were expecting to hit their shield or trying to prevent a tomahawk by grabbing first.
but any oos options would come out way before the uptilt, even some shield drop options would be faster, so how does this work?

Arrei

Smash Lord
Assuming raw frame perfect reactions, it wouldn't work. But no one can be frame perfect, and on top of reaction time there's also the minute input delay present in the games. By the time they see me coming in front of them, they've already made their next option, but right at the time they execute it, Utilt is coming out. Hence the trap.

JTPROG

Smash Rookie
I forgot about that global 6 frame input lag... yeah that makes things a lot more interesting

Top Bottom