• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

that vid should not be put on the boards. To make everyone feel better here is a vid that kinda remind me of it but funny .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qbc2J0zZr8

If you want to look at it from the perspective that they could not afford the puppies or were not wanted so it would have been more cruel to keep them and not feed them. The alternative was drowning them in a bathtub or something else.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
WIfi messing up? I never would have seen that coming. What a plot twist for the ages. Definitely beats whatever M.Night Shymalan has up his sleeves.

IkeFiend

Smash Ace
Time to minorly take over Ashunera's place. I dislike Ashunera. D< But uh... I'm still mad you guys talk so much. I wish I could join the convo, but too much stuff, ya know...?

:<

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
The Tl;dr version of the convo

Wifi messed up today. Your thoughts?

IkeFiend

Smash Ace
Oh, that's interesting. I think. Considering I haven't brawled since the local tourney last Saturday. Huh. Played my Wii for that matter... Dayumm. That sucks. Lol. ..Yeah. :x

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Wifi sucks thats no surprise. To be honest its better that way.

Meeting up to play >>> playing online as a person. You actually socially interact

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
Wifi is being a nazi. It keeps giving me the everyone offline error, When i add some one i have to go offline and re-connect to see if they're online and then i get the offline error then i have to go offline one more time and when i re-connect for the last time and try to join their game i get disconnected because supposely im not on they're friend list or they aren't online.

Wifi...seriously...Grow a pair.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Random question: who was it that wanted to play my modded doom levels but had a Mac? I don't remember anymore.

I need to get back to editing doom levels.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Guys, I think I had an epiphany. First time playing practice mode and after like 3 minutes, I've learned that I've REALLY underestimated Ike's offstage game, especially since guarding the edge for him is already pretty good. I really want to try to experiment with using aerials offstage more and utilizing double jumps and fast falls. I think it can become pretty dang good!

Hopefully, more to come later.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
I actually tried going for a fast falled bair. To everyone who will try, make sure you have a second jump or Ike will fall so hard he explodes and magically spawns on a floating disc on the center of the stage. Did I mention a ride on the disc costs a stock?

Other things I've tried are Fair to either hit an opponent or get them to stop trying to hit me and Nairs really high enough (I'm talking about don't need no jumps/Aether high enough).

EDIT: @Ussi: That sounds like liking girls in general.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Well.. maybe i should say i'm very open on what kind of girl it is. I'm basically against anything unhealthy and that's about it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Nerds and geeks like girls with glasses who read and stuff? What a refreshing new concept.

Wifi sucks thats no surprise. To be honest its better that way.

Meeting up to play >>> playing online as a person. You actually socially interact
This. I mean it's great and all to have some random moment on wifi and discuss it over chat after the match, but live in person is hilarious. Especially since you're not laughing to yourself looking like an idiot. Something happens, 5-6 people go "WTF?!", share a laugh, have a beer, discuss the big things in life such as recess, and then get back to playing.

Mr. Doom, it wasn't me, considering how I feel the majority of those levels are super uber hard.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
=( I wish I would get surprised more in brawl. If something happens I'm not usually surprised by it. LOL at the nerdy girls comment. I'd be ok as long as they're naturally hot imo. I like girls more with good posture/don't slump and stuff like that.

About offstage gameplay, I became incredibly interested in it when I thought about followups after bthrow-->dash attack at medium-high %s (85-105 after bthrow dash attack), where most of the time, the opponent is thrown offstage. This is the best reliable setup for offstage game, other than random powerful attacks that don't quite kill, but send the opponent offstage. I realize that Ike's offstage game is heavily based on heavy hits offstage where the opponent cannot readily challenge Ike's range. + Ike is one of the few heavies(and fast faller) with multiple strong KOing aerials that's usable offstage.

I've been looking at things like full hop/shorthop fast fall fair (best to wait and fast fall right before the hitbox comes out), and double jump double aerials with short hop and full hop. I'm only thinking more about this now, because at first I assumed a play-it-safe role where one would occasionally whip out a full hop fair offstage or something like that, but I realized that Ike has an great chance at scoring an early offstage kill.

Before all this, I highly recommend setting a shoulder button to jump (I use L), so you can easily double jump and throw out an aerial offstage.

Ike can do 2 aerials with more than enough time to upB which counts as 3 attacks at most offstage.

For 2 Forward Airs where you must buffer jump+fair and make it back with upB

1.Full hop: The latest to fair is slightly after you reach the top of your jump
2.short hop: The latest to fair is very slightly before the top of your jump (which isn't very high)

These same timings also work for 1 fair and a FAST FALL.

if you do your forward air earlier, you can double jump+fair and return as late as an Ike's distance below the stage from the edge.

For 1 fair no fast-fall, you can fair as late as when the middle of Ike is in line with the stage edge.

You can even decide to use double jump + only 1 fair and reach a surprisingly large distance away from the stage.

This is only for forward air, too. I think all of Ike's aerials except for nair have unique uses offstage, especially since the long range and power of the attacks ~90+% means non-heavy opponents need to avoid these attacks. Combined with aether, which can immediately reach high levels above Ike where you used your aerials to hit/bait your opponent and make them use multiple recovery options like double jump, aether can be a useful tool. You can also easily time it so you can return to the stage with aether without grabbing the ledge.

when someone is slightly below offstage and you wish to attack them, I think walk offs are inferior to jumping, throwing out fair/upair/dair, and then timing a fast fall right before the hitbox comes out. When using upair offstage, it's best to face away from your opponent because the hitbox extends the most behind you. this leaves you with a nice option for possible bair too if you were originally planning on upairing someone. It's also best to fast fall upair and time the extension of the hitbox at a specific point with a fast fall.

The good thing is that Ike has decent enough air speed, where few characters are fast enough in the air to get past the range of Ike's aerials easily when overcoming Ike's own decent air speed, especially when spaced defensively (fair thrown from a good distance away of where they could possibly be if they held forward). This means that adequate amounts of pressure can be put on a variety of characters. Retreating double jump + fair is also very potent because it can be used at many points, especially at surprisingly low points below the stage. The good thing is that even if you miss 1 or 2, we still have aether, and by that point, we should have successfully made the opponent exhaust a few recovery options.

Fun fact: Ike can full hop fair, counter (to face the other way) jump+bair and return to the stage. At first, this seems kind of useless because Ike will be too low, but on stages with platforms where you can jump higher, it has a possibility of having a use slightly beyond a lol.

tl;dr paragraph

Ike can fall fast, he can use many long range aerials with good amounts of kill power (especially after bthrow-->dash attack) offstage for a surprising duration, utilizing the vertical distance of his upB, because you don't need to go too far offstage (even though you can) because the aerials more than make up for it. I think exploring offstage game (and recovery!) will help us in a lot of ways, because it seems pretty unexplored as far as I know (seeing some things sometimes but thinking we should do certain things more)

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
I myself throw out a couple of double jump fairs to land KOs. Ask Yamato, I'm pretty sure I KO'd him that way once or twice. I even managed to KO with double jump fast falled Uair on a friend (wish I could have saved it, but no hacks means no replays 3+ mins). I agree that offstage is something we should explore, just be careful not to SD or get gimped.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Intense offstage play is for those who already are comfortable enough with Ike's recovery options that rarely get gimped by non-MKs.

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
I'd like to practice my ike a few times too, I feel like i really rusted.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Yeah, a cool little thing you can do is this: Short jump or do a full jump(usually better, and I'll explain why) off stage, then use a midair jump toward your offstage opponent. You can either fair and then move back to aether to the stage like san already said, OR you can do nothing and Side B back to get to the edge quickly. From there, depending on the character and how they recover, you can ledge drop, wait for them to get within range, midair jump, then bair/dair the opponent, and Aether back to the ledge/onto the stage(depending how long you wait before midair jumping).

What's REALLY nice about this, is that when you use the the full jump off the stage, then midair jump out to an opponent, getting just within fair range. At this point, you actually have about a quarter of a second to see what the opponent will do.

If they airdodge, quickly side b to the ledge. From here, they'll most likely be recovering from VERY low because of that airdodge, so there's a nice opportunity for a dair spike.

If they try to use an aerial, throw out an fair(while holding backwards toward the stage to alter your momentum) and tell them to GTFO(obviously when you initially jump out to them, make sure you only get close enough for fair, and not within range of their aerials as well, lol). Then as they're flying away, aether back up to the ledge.

If they just try to jump over you, then side b to the ledge, then either quickly stand up from the ledge or do a ledge jump up and continue trying to edge guard them. At this point, they'll most likely just airdodge though because they've used up their second jump. So you can actually try to bait them to airdodge, then punish THAT, which would probably lead to their death, lol.

Obviously this won't work on every character. Like Falco, who can just side b right through you and spike you in the process... Definitely wouldn't risk going out that far for an MK, of course... >_>

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Random question: who was it that wanted to play my modded doom levels but had a Mac? I don't remember anymore.

I need to get back to editing doom levels.
I believe it was craysyn.

@san, so fastfalling fair offstage would also keep ike safe from opponents' aerials i'm guessing, since ike won't be able to airdodge at all in the midst of his two aerials jumps.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Ike falls faster than most characters so it can be a good idea to fast fall+fair or dair, even backwards-facing upair if you wish to try to kill them too (the same can be said for recovering and you're high above the stage), but against some characters, it's more rewarding to stay onstage or relatively close some of the time. It definitely takes a good perception of when to do what. I am only advocating looking at the possible options we can do offstage more.

@coyala Usually when I use my double jump though, I double jump back towards the stage so I never thought about any of that. Much easier with L as jump though, and it's tougher if you wish to jump out to farther distances.

Most of the time, I advocate hop fair, double fair, or double jump back fair. Bair too, but it's much harder to hit with, but you get much more out of it. Upair and dair kill a little higher %s at that position. Fast falling aerials and things like that are definitely for opponents who you think are at kill %s close enough to the blastzone though (80+%), where the rewards for hitting are definitely worth it.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Huh, I just found something kinda interesting. Doesn't seem too useful right now, but who knows, maybe we'll find some use for it in the future.

Well, you know how one of the final hits on fair sends the opponent flying behind you? Well with L-trigger set to jump, it is extremely easy to do full-hopped retreating fairs. That, after doing a RAR, lets you hit tall-ish opponents with the part of fair that sends them behind you.

But like I said, it doesn't seem so useful. There's one little trick I noticed though against Snake and other tall characters. If they're shielding near an edge, you can run up to them, RAR, and hit them with the part of fair that sends them backwards. They get the shield knockback, slide off the side of the stage and are in position for you to spike them with dair(fair ends by the time they're sliding off the edge)

So yeah like I said, not really useful.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
well, RAR bair would do the same thing for you and more quickly too (last part of fair comes out at frame 21 while bair comes out at frame 7). one difference is that RAR bair would hit tall people only while this can hit characters of any size.

i'm thinking one nice use for this would be abusing it's disjoint below ike.

hmmm... frame 21 actually is really good for punishing a spot dodge.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
lol offstage f-air's used to be my best (a.k.a only) method of killing. i find walkoff and shorthop fairs are more effect than a fullhop fair because at the height of a full hop, an opponent is willing to try and challenge you, or even just aridodge, whereas lower down the majority of characters cant afford to do so.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Mr. Doom, it wasn't me, considering how I feel the majority of those levels are super uber hard.
Aww, Bored. Not all my levels are that ridiculous. Let's see...

[collapse=List of Mr. Doom levels]*Level 01 is just a straight out destroy or be destroyed.
*Level 02 introduces the Metroids. >_> there is a trap at the end of the level if you hit the wrong switch.
*Level 03 is straight forward, with an easter egg at a secret area.
*Level 04 is also straight forward.
*Level 05 introduces the Super Spider. Pretty much you just have to take out the enemies and you'll be fine.
*Level 06 introduces Ganondork and Roy; you're running through an inferno, here.
*Level 07 introduces the super fat Mario.
*Level 08 introduces the Voodoo Doll Effect (where you can telefrag yourself.) 1st BS level
*Level 09 takes place in a linear palace.
*Level 10 takes you back to level 01 with an added twist.
*Level 11 is Ultimate Doom's E3M8 Dis on steroids.
*Level 12 is on top of a plane. You can get swarmed here.
*Level 13 is the first of the two mazes.
*Level 14 is in a laboratory. Though you can face big bosses early on.
*Level 15 takes place in the second linear palace. A secret lies here.
*Level 16 is in a compact level with little room for error.
*Level 17 takes place in the third palace.
*Level 18 pits you in an arena.
*Level 19 puts you in a familiar castle.
*Level 20 takes place in the fourth palace.
*Level 21 is the second maze that will kill you if you take one wrong turn.
*Level 22 puts you in the fifth palace.
*Level 23 puts you in a really huge castle that will take forever if you go through all the rooms.
*Level 24 puts you in an 11 story building.
*Level 25 brings puts you in a Metroid replication center.
*Level 26 is in the sixth palace.
*Level 27 puts you near a huge tower you'll have to scale.
*Level 28 is in the final palace. Really, really, long. Don't get lost.
*Level 29 puts you in an amalgamation of all the previous levels.
*Level 30 pits you in the final battle, where things can get ugly real quick.
*Level 31 is a secret castle found by entering the secret exit from one of the levels.
*Level 32 is a free-for-all boss fight.
*Level 33 puts you up against Mr. Doom.
[/collapse]
The only levels you've seen are the BS levels that I mentioned: Level 08 and Level 21.
This one's okay.
Part 1
Part 2
Of course, going through the whole level might put you in there for about 30 minutes...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Espy has a really good Zelda, but I feel one on one it ain't so bad as opposed to doubles (San would know). K'Prime's Jiggs can be seriously annoying though. Almost makes me want to rage quit everytime I play it. I'm not sure how the format of this crew battle is gonna work, but I see Polt and K'Prime having the most success. Xyro and Lee for the other team.

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
Espy has a really good Zelda, but I feel one on one it ain't so bad as opposed to doubles (San would know). K'Prime's Jiggs can be seriously annoying though. Almost makes me want to rage quit everytime I play it. I'm not sure how the format of this crew battle is gonna work, but I see Polt and K'Prime having the most success. Xyro and Lee for the other team.
Is it just his jiggs? I swear most jiggs are pretty easy when against Ike. Not to mention shield break = insta stock loss after I think 35% was it

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Is it just his jiggs? I swear most jiggs are pretty easy when against Ike. Not to mention shield break = insta stock loss after I think 35% was it
Not San's jiggs. And that insta KO with shield break, I think it KOs jiggs at any percent as long as there is no platform for it to hit on the way up/someone to footstool jumps it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Not sure how San's jiggs plays, but K'Prime plays defensive hardcore and the matches usually go for like 6-7 minutes. Last LT tourny I played him in, all our matches were around that length. One almost timed out. I can be patient, but taking up to 20 minutes for one set can get me to rage, especially if I lose.

Top Bottom