• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Ike Boards Bi-Weeklies Thread ~ Come in and discuss ideas! ~

Would you like to see the bi-weeklies start up again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Also, a little note to you Nysyarc, using a Xat won't be a good idee if there will be a lot of Ike's, b/c a Xat can only hold up to 20 people, and I think about the CP's that PS2 should not be on it and Pirate is doable, but that's me.
The Xat will work okay, it was fine for our try-out event we held here last year. I don't think we'll be getting over 20 people at each event, there aren't even that many regulars at the boards here let alone regulars who are also Ike mains. We may get more than 20 people in total each season, but I doubt everyone will be able to show up to every tournament. If we do get more than 20 people we can always use one of the AiB tournament chat rooms...

Another thing of course is that while two people are having a set they can leave the main Xat and have a private conversation until they're done. That would be better anyways so the main Xat doesn't get flooded.

PS2 is controversial I agree, but not many people will be picking it... only Niddo really and maybe some others for lols from what I've gathered. Besides, it's dittos. All that matters is stage knowledge since we're all the same character.

I'd like to have Pirate Ship but the matches there would be very campy and would likely take a long time to finish. Better to have sets be as quick as possible so people can play everyone.

Edit: I got ninja'd. See RedX's post if mine is tl;dr.

:034:

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
-----|-> Season 1, Tournament 1 <-|-----

So, I figured why wait when we can kick off the series this week-end! Sign-ups begin right now and will run until Saturday night at midnight. The tournament itself will be Sunday afternoon (see below for all exact times). Remember to try and be there on time if you've signed up, the sooner everyone arrives the more matches we can get done! If you have signed up but can't make it at the last minute, try and send me a PM/VM to let me know so we aren't waiting around for you.

Sign-ups end Saturday, June 12th (early morning of the 13th) at:

12:00 am PST
1:00 am MST
2:00 am CST
3:00 am EST

The tournament will begin Sunday, June 13th at:

12:00 pm PST
1:00 pm MST
2:00 pm CST
3:00 pm EST

~ Sign Up List and Statistics ~

Nysyarc / 4769-3806-0431
Wins: 0
Losses: 0
Updated the post after OP with this, you guys can start signing up now if you think you'll be able to make it this Sunday. Once I get an appropriate Xat up, which I'll start on now, I'll link it in a new post and the OP.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Looks like a good idea, but I can't join because:
1) My Wii sucks and dad refuses to send it for repairs/buy a new one.
2) Connection sucks anyway. Every online game I've played on Live that makes me host lags everyone terribly.
Hope you guys have fun!

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Updated the post after OP with this, you guys can start signing up now if you think you'll be able to make it this Sunday. Once I get an appropriate Xat up, which I'll start on now, I'll link it in a new post and the OP.

ah excellent, i shall enter, also i've got a dead wifi clan *dodges more lol wifi comments* that can be used for the ike boards needs

name: G.P (<-what i prefer to be referred to as)
friend code: 4855-1584-8900

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
If you guys would prefer more statistics to be kept than just raw wins and losses I could use Collapse tags for each person like Metroid did with the Ike Profiles thread. I'd be willing to keep track of each persons wins/losses against each other player and the number of matches they played in those sets. All it would require is you guys to quickly let me know after you finish a set:

How many matches were played and who won.

I would record all the statistics and add them to the OP after each tournament, then they would be reset at the end of the season, so it wouldn't get too cluttered over time.

Here's an example of what I imagine it would look like:

[collapse=Nysyarc / 4769-3806-0431]Total Wins: 3
Total Losses: 3

Vs. YagamiLight
Wins: 1
- Won 2-1
Losses: 2
- Lost 0-2
- Lost 1-2

Vs. Nidtendofreak
Wins: 2
- Won 2-0
- Won 2-1
Losses: 1
- Lost 0-2[/collapse]I'm a statistics freak (as you know from the MU ratio thread) so I wouldn't mind doing that at all. It wouldn't take too long anyways... mostly just all the color tags would take awhile.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
If you guys would prefer more statistics to be kept than just raw wins and losses I could use Collapse tags for each person like Metroid did with the Ike Profiles thread. I'd be willing to keep track of each persons wins/losses against each other player and the number of matches they played in those sets. All it would require is you guys to quickly let me know after you finish a set:

How many matches were played and who won.

I would record all the statistics and add them to the OP after each tournament, then they would be reset at the end of the season, so it wouldn't get too cluttered over time.

Here's an example of what I imagine it would look like:

[collapse=Nysyarc / 4769-3806-0431]Total Wins: 3
Total Losses: 3

Vs. YagamiLight
Wins: 1
- Won 2-1
Losses: 2
- Lost 0-2
- Lost 1-2

Vs. Nidtendofreak
Wins: 2
- Won 2-0
- Won 2-1
Losses: 1
- Lost 0-2[/collapse]I'm a statistics freak (as you know from the MU ratio thread) so I wouldn't mind doing that at all. It wouldn't take too long anyways... mostly just all the color tags would take awhile.

hmm, sounds good, though i can expect a pretty poor win-loss ratio for me XP if it isnt putting you out that is

theeboredone

Smash Legend
PS2 on wifi is the dumbest thing someone can do to another opponent -_-. It's bad enough that stage is annoying offline, but toss it into lag fi, and you got ppl dieing left and right on accident.

So would this be for the whole weekend or just Friday? Quite frankly, I don't feel like spending one whole night doing this.

Also, it should be top 5, not top 8. We only have like...6 players normally contribute here anyways. Mr. Doom isn't even participating so that would leave...

San, Bored, New York Shark, Red-X, Light, Niddo, Brett, British Boy, Ussi, and Slaps. Those are the usuals. Then we have the new arrivals such as SmashKing (AiB), Sauron, and Jam. I'm not fond of taking people who don't post here, and just want to join this thing cause it's a ranking system. Basically, we have anywhere from 13-20 people. Top 5 should be reasonable.

EDIT: If there is gonna be like 20 ppl on some days, then it's pointless to have a round robin. Just make a bracket with people seeded accordingly. I am not playing the other 19 Ike ppl here in a set. Hell, I say 14 or above should have a bracket.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
PS2 on wifi is the dumbest thing someone can do to another opponent -_-. It's bad enough that stage is annoying offline, but toss it into lag fi, and you got ppl dieing left and right on accident.
Well, most people agree with that so not many people will really be CPing it. I'm leaving it in for Niddo's sake mostly, lol. If you can beat someone on another stage you can beat them on PS2. There's actually nothing about PS2 that would make people SD randomly unless you don't know how to handle the conveyer belts at all. It's lame in some MUs but in the ditto it makes little difference.

So would this be for the whole weekend or just Friday? Quite frankly, I don't feel like spending one whole night doing this.
Lol, L2 read OP. It's gonna be on Sunday, possibly Fridays for later events if Sunday turns out to not work too well, but I think it'll be fine. The rules also state that unless everyone in attendance agrees to keep going, the tournaments will end after 3 hours, so you don't have to worry about spending all afternoon.

Also, it should be top 5, not top 8. We only have like...6 players normally contribute here anyways. Mr. Doom isn't even participating so that would leave...

San, Bored, New York Shark, Red-X, Light, Niddo, Brett, British Boy, Ussi, and Slaps. Those are the usuals. Then we have the new arrivals such as SmashKing (AiB), Sauron, and Jam. I'm not fond of taking people who don't post here, and just want to join this thing cause it's a ranking system. Basically, we have anywhere from 13-20 people. Top 5 should be reasonable.
I considered top 5, but top 8 allows us to have an even bracket number for a quick playoff tournament at the end of each season. We'll be taking anyone who wants to join, one of the goals here is to get newer forum goers and Ike mains to come out of their shells a bit and practice against experienced Ike players first hand.

EDIT: If there is gonna be like 20 ppl on some days, then it's pointless to have a round robin. Just make a bracket with people seeded accordingly. I am not playing the other 19 Ike ppl here in a set. Hell, I say 14 or above should have a bracket.
I know it seems like a lot to do, but you won't be required to fight everyone who's there, just as many as you can until the 3 hours are up. All that will be considered in the end for the PRs is the win/loss ratio and total wins, so you can pick and choose who you want to fight at each tournament as well. I'd obviously prefer if you played everyone or as many different players as you can, but if you're not feeling like playing any new guys one time, feel free to just play the regulars who are there.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well you also better consider the level of competition people face. For all we know, I could just go pick on Niddo, Slaps, and one other kid and go undefeated.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
This sounds fun, I'd really like to get some experience. I might not be able to be there for the first half of the tournament though, because I have a violin lesson. Is it still alright for me to sign up?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Well you also better consider the level of competition people face. For all we know, I could just go pick on Niddo, Slaps, and one other kid and go undefeated.
You could, but keep in mind that total number of wins count just as much as ratio, so you'd still be lower on the PRs than someone with like, 7 wins and 4 losses if you had 3 wins and 0 losses. Plus I'll be keeping a record of who you beat and how many matches were played in each set, and putting that information in your viewable stats.

I won't use things like that to factor into the PRs unless two people have the exact same win/loss record, but basically everyone will be able to see if you're only picking on the same people over and over
:p

This sounds fun, I'd really like to get some experience. I might not be able to be there for the first half of the tournament though, because I have a violin lesson. Is it still alright for me to sign up?
Because there's no bracket I guess it's alright if you show up late; provided you let me know first, which you have.

So yah, I'll sign you up. You do realize it's Ike-only though right? Your main shows Pikachu, so I'm just making sure.

Edit:

Nysyarc said:
~ Xat Chatroom Link ~

This is a link to the live chatroom we will be using for the tournaments. In the event that more players arrive for a tournament than can fit in the Xat, we will use an All Is Brawl tournament chatroom, which I will provide a link for if it becomes necessary.

http://www.xat.com/chat/room/99028889/
The Xat is now up. I don't remember how I named the last one so this one is currently nameless. If one of you guys knows how to change the name I'm open to suggestions on what to name it.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Glad Pirate Ship was removed. I'm fine with water camping but it's just going to be very tedious if people pick Pirate Ship as their "pocket CP" and try to water camp instead of actually fight. I can definitely see people just hoping for a lucky break on Pship or something of that nature and choosing it consistently.

That said, both Sunday and Friday work for me. I foresee myself having a lot of work put off till Sunday later on in the year so it might be a bit risky for me to have a Brawl tourney then, haha. But we'll see.

Also, sign me up for the tournament, haha. That goes without saying. Great job on the topic, Nysyarc. This seems like it could become a good Ike boards tradition.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Because there's no bracket I guess it's alright if you show up late; provided you let me know first, which you have.

So yah, I'll sign you up. You do realize it's Ike-only though right? Your main shows Pikachu, so I'm just making sure.
Yeah, I second Ike. I read the OP :)

Name: global-wolf
FC: 3567-2663-3523

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Also, sign me up for the tournament, haha. That goes without saying. Great job on the topic, Nysyarc. This seems like it could become a good Ike boards tradition.
Thanks! And good stuff, I've got you signed up. I definitely agree on the Pirate Ship thing too. If we'll be doing a round robin the last thing we need is 7 minute water-camping matches every second set.

We'll do Pirate Ship in doubles friendlies once the tourney is over
:laugh:

And Summit. Lolslidingfsmash.

Yeah, I second Ike. I read the OP :)
Awesome, I've already got you signed up so no worries.

And to anyone else who could make it sometime after 3 pm EST but before 6 pm, you are welcome to sign up and arrive a little late (as long as you let me know). There's no bracket, so you can just play as many people as you can when you arrive. We will wait to start until everyone who said they'll be on time gets there... or until like 15 minutes have gone by. So basically don't take it for granted, please let me know if you'll be late.

Iofsauron

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna post my friend code, just in case if ya need it, and also for fun whenever im on after this, or for a challenge. Want to play exp. players be4 MLG Raleigh :p
3050 8914 0666

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I'm gonna post my friend code, just in case if ya need it, and also for fun whenever im on after this, or for a challenge. Want to play exp. players be4 MLG Raleigh :p
3050 8914 0666
So you're signing up for the event this Sunday? Just making sure cause you were kinda vague there, lol.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Excuse me, I need to stab bored with a rusty pen knife.

brb, finding teleporter.

Besides, PS2 is legal in most places. Better get used to it.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
0002-0484-8419

I'll answer any questions and give tips, too.

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
yo nysyarc hows it goin

XLR8 1633 3870 2523

TX7Killian

Smash Apprentice
Already over or can I still sign up? Even if it's wifi, I would love to fight some of you guys

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
San, I need advice. Which is better? red dress shirt with black tie or blue with black tie?
Lmao, I guess you should have been more specific San.

And sign ups are going on until Saturday evening, so I'll sign you up for it TX7. Be sure to check the OP and the post below it for the Xat chatroom link and the time of the tourney.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
San, I need advice. Which is better? red dress shirt with black tie or blue with black tie?

Even though red's like one of my favorite colors, can't do nothing to stop the niceness of the blue, tbqh.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Lol san. I might sign up for this but i dont want to sign up and not be there.
If you can make it for just the last two hours or something like that it's fine too, as long as I know before hand. There's no bracket so it's not imperative that you arrive at the start.

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
I would sign up except I'm back at home, which means parents don't want me to play. But I could probably play if it were Friday evenings (for the summer at least), since they won't be home then.

RiverDB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiVerDB
I'll be joining this, even though i'm not sure if i'll be there the full 3 hours.
RiVer: 0559-8377-0672

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
There's not a bracket or a round-robin style tourney?

It's just... play a few people and go by that?

I'm not going to lie-- that seems like a pretty terrible idea. =\

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
There's not a bracket or a round-robin style tourney?

It's just... play a few people and go by that?

I'm not going to lie-- that seems like a pretty terrible idea. =\
Man, you Texas Ikes and your negativity, lol.

Technically it is a round robin, just not a particularly strict one. I'm actually thinking I can get rid of the 3 hour time limit thing. People can stay as long as they need to finish all of their sets (I don't mind hanging around), and anyone who has to leave early can do so, since there isn't a bracket so they aren't required to stay. Obviously not playing all of your sets (or as many as you can) means others who stay and finish may have an edge on you for the PRs.

The way I see it there are four main goals to these tournaments:

- Help new Ike players get experience and see how the better players do it first hand.
- Provide a consistent competitive atmosphere for Ike mains who do not have consistent local smash scenes.
- Increase positive activity here in the boards, and improve the quality of input in our discussions from all members. The more we learn from each other about Ike from doing this, the easier we can all communicate.
- Build relationships between everyone on the boards so we're one big happy family. :bee:

I'll admit, the goals are more focused on the newer members, but that doesn't mean we can't all have some fun Ike dittos every couple weeks.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I would sign up except I'm back at home, which means parents don't want me to play. But I could probably play if it were Friday evenings (for the summer at least), since they won't be home then.
you said 'dont want you to play' so surely that means you still can and they can't do ****, besides, i really doubt theyre gonig to banhammer you for palying a game...

Top Bottom