• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike 2.0.0. - nerfed aethercide

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Up Special - Shortened the meteor distance.

More details on what this really means after some labbing.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I looked into this on the social thread. Ike dies first when using Aether from too high - this happens to be ground level on Battlefield, but he wins at ground level on Final Destination.

Acrete

Smash Cadet
Yeh that’s really not a big deal. Such a situational thing. We’re good here.

Tuxdude

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1908-0573-2312
The fall speed of the victim seems to be a factor. On ground level of BF Jigglypuff actually survives (though she isn't making it back on stage xD) , while Fox plummets down with me, dying first. Mario dies as well, but he wins if it is the last stock.

Worst part is that there is no "last hit" slow down when you win with Aether :(

Edit: Comma is important

Last edited:

h4 Gambiteer

Smash Cadet
Writing Team
I made a video labbing this (most of it focus on chrom since he was nerfed harder but it all applies to Ike as well) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g6IxbRHcl4

Basically, the "meteor" effect is when you launch people up. This was reduced. (so upB oos is not a good kill option)

And the window where Ike wins the aethercide was also reduced, but I'm not really sure that affects much because it's pretty rare you'll want to aethercide high above the stage.

Qualk

Smash Cadet
Writing Team
This was kinda cheap so I think it's a good change. I'm just glad they didn't nerf any of his aerials.

h4 Gambiteer

Smash Cadet
Writing Team
This was kinda cheap so I think it's a good change. I'm just glad they didn't nerf any of his aerials.
Well, I didn't mind the out-of-shield kill potential...which is the main thing that got nerfed.

Banjobeast158

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banjobeast158
And I still won a one stock match with Aethercide
Yeah, it depends on a lot of different variables. From what I've read, it will still KO your opponent first if you are on stage/below stage when using Aether. Also might be character dependent?

Mister.Kim1

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2558-6837-3970
Yeah, it depends on a lot of different variables. From what I've read, it will still KO your opponent first if you are on stage/below stage when using Aether. Also might be character dependent?
I did it against King K. Rool.

Semako

Smash Cadet
I don't think how relevant it is, but the nerf to the meteor distance makes uair follow ups easier when you recover high with upB, hit the opponent at the ledge and he misses teh tech so that he gets launched upwards while you grab the ledge.

Banjobeast158

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banjobeast158
I don't think how relevant it is, but the nerf to the meteor distance makes uair follow ups easier when you recover high with upB, hit the opponent at the ledge and he misses teh tech so that he gets launched upwards while you grab the ledge.
I've noticed that, it makes it much more similar to smash 4. Its previous knockback was kind of absurd. The only thing I'd wish they'd change is if you hit them with the descent ,and they are standing on the ledge, the move does literally 0 knockback but inflicts like 3 damage. Not sure what that is about...

Arrei

Smash Lord
My guess is, the descending hit was given two different hitboxes, a spike that only works on airborne opponents and the little bopping hit that only works on grounded opponents just to lock them in place long enough for the landing hitbox to connect. Otherwise, the move's formerly fearsome spike knockback would just fling them away out of the final hit's reach.

Banjobeast158

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banjobeast158
Ohh ok that makes sense, it is just weird when you hit them with it and nothing happens lol.

h4 Gambiteer

Smash Cadet
Writing Team
Is it possible to tech it? I've never seen anyone do it (I don't spam aether though) but you couldn't tech in smash4...

Arrei

Smash Lord
Not 100% certain but I think it's untechable at a certain distance from the ground but becomes techable when farther. I'm pretty sure I recall seeing an opponent tech my Aether once in a while when I miss them with the final hit due to platform shenanigans, but whenever I get caught by one at the ledge I've never been able to tech it. There have also been times when opponents were able to save themselves from an offstage spike by teching off the stage.

Last edited:

h4 Gambiteer

Smash Cadet
Writing Team
Yeah, you might be right. Perhaps there is some property of the "landing" hit of aether that prevents you from teching out of it, because you can definitely tech on the side of the stage before the final hit lands.
I suspect actually that the final hitbox which sends the opponent upwards actually lands before the opponent hits the ground, which is why if you do aether such that you land on the very edge of the stage (your sword and opponent hover over empty space) you'll get the cinematic telling you the game is over even though the opponent will clearly bounce back up.

This makes me want to test this as a doubles jank with samus's grab to take me out of aether...

Arrei

Smash Lord
Yeah, the final hit does land before the enemy hits the ground, but if you catch an opponent with Aether at the ledge such that they'll bounce off the ground while you grab the ledge, it seems to be untechable at close distance. I believe spike techs having a lower tech-ability threshold than wall techs was a thing in this game, so that could be why, but if the enemy travels a bit longer before hitting the ground, it seems to become techable, just I don't know how much higher they need to be.

Top Bottom