• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If Young Link is in Project M, what happens to Toon Link?

BlazingFireOmega

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jesse-BFO
3DS FC
1693-0474-5023
I've been playing my cousins copy of Melee, and after playing as Young Link for around 150 matches, ( I'm trying to get up to 700.) I keep thinking : "Project M's Toon Link = Young Link. Wonder what they would do to Toon Link if they add Young Link back...but I doubt that would happen. I hope it does though... "

In my opinion, I think that it would be a great opportunity to make Toon Link his own character, with his own unique attacks, traits, and other stuff, while young link could be what he is, ( A faster, weaker link.) but with small differences. (Like the difference between Marth and Roy, or Fox and Falco.)

What do you guys think they should do?

BlazingFireOmega

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jesse-BFO
3DS FC
1693-0474-5023
That's true, but most of his attacks are pretty much young link's, and doesn't it feels sad to see a clone copy a clone. Toon Link's still fun though.

BlazingFireOmega

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jesse-BFO
3DS FC
1693-0474-5023
Fox has two semi-clones, why can't Link? (Yet again, Wolf is not much of a semi-clone. He's more of his own character now.)

steakhouse

Smash Apprentice
But Link, Toon Link and Young Link are all three sword-and-shieldmen wearing the same clothes

At least the spacies are all wildly different. They have personalities and backstories for example, which differentiates them a lot. Link and TL are the same dude from a different time. Diversity is nice.

BlazingFireOmega

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jesse-BFO
3DS FC
1693-0474-5023
That's true, but the three Links are all from different time lines. Link is from Twilight Princess, TL from Wind Waker, and YL from Ocarina of Time / Majora's Ma- Wait a minute, what does personalities and backstories have to do with gameplay anyway? Just cause one is a fox / falco / wolf doesn't mean the're different. The're still semi-clones.

BlazingFireOmega

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jesse-BFO
3DS FC
1693-0474-5023
But I do understand where your coming from, so don't think I'm against you or anything. Just saying.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
That's true, but most of his attacks are pretty much young link's
Aside from Specials, Dair, Uair, and Dsmash they are no where near close being anywhere to being like Young Link (who basically had a ported Link moveset) and even then the Specials still function quite differently when you get down to it.

BlazingFireOmega

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jesse-BFO
3DS FC
1693-0474-5023
True, so the real question is what they will do to young link to make him more different from link & toon link. Right?

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
or download a young link skin from brawlvault for toon link
now you can play like you're the real thing!

BlazingFireOmega

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jesse-BFO
3DS FC
1693-0474-5023
There's a mod called "toon young link". it's cool, but weird at the same time. I hope project m does something to represent young link, like adding back the great bay or something.

BlazingFireOmega

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jesse-BFO
3DS FC
1693-0474-5023
Temple? That's a level so big. Anyways, what I'm saying is that I wish they did something to atleast represent :younglinkmelee:. :toonlink:'s down taunt is the only thing referencing :younglinkmelee: sadly.

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
why would they need to do so much work to represent a character who frankly will never get into Project M?
just mod your mod till youre happy.

AndrogynousOkami

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-2412-4203
They can't add him as an alt like magic because the proportions are so drastically different. Young Link looks like a normal child and Toon Link is more like a chibi. His giant head throws things off.

BlazingFireOmega

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jesse-BFO
3DS FC
1693-0474-5023
I could imagine that : A :younglinkmelee: with a HUGE head would be funny.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is what that would they do to represent him? ( New Character, Alt. Costume, Level, Ect, SOMETHING!.)

steakhouse

Smash Apprentice
The only way Young Link would be cool is if he was heavily based off Majora's Mask, a sooper transformation character (down B is Goron, neutral is deku, side B is zora, upB is spin attack, final smash is fierce diety) which would be sooper hard to balance and would consume an astounding amount of work hours that would add 4 new characters to an already over-representend series

BlazingFireOmega

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jesse-BFO
3DS FC
1693-0474-5023
My idea was that they give him some fresh, new, and original moves and mechanics , not turn him into a pokemon trainer...but other than that, nice idea!

BlazingFireOmega

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jesse-BFO
3DS FC
1693-0474-5023
The only way Young Link would be cool is if he was heavily based off Majora's Mask, a sooper transformation character (down B is Goron, neutral is deku, side B is zora, upB is spin attack, final smash is fierce diety) which would be sooper hard to balance and would consume an astounding amount of work hours that would add 4 new characters to an already over-representend series
Not sure if anyone is still here, but I had a weird dream. In my dream, I was playing PM, and I noticed that all of :toonlink:'s CSSs showed four links with each recolor swapping tunic colors. I decided to play as him, and I saw four links following each other like the Ice Climbers, and each Special item was given to each link

B : 1st Link uses the bow

Side B : 2nd Link uses boomerang

Down B : 3rd Link uses bombs

Up B : 4th Link grabs his teammates and uses the magic cape.

Like the Ice Climbers, if the leader dies, they all die, and are stronger when in one group. Their Final Smash is where they transform into one OP :toonlink: with all items for 10 seconds (similar to :sonic: or :bowser2:'s FS.)

That was some wiked dream...

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
For those who say that Young Link should not come back because we already Toon Link and it's pointless, I just want to say no. It's not pointless. We already have 3 Fox semi-clones and yes I understand your points saying that they are different characters, let me remind you that the Link's are also very different characters. They are not just same green sword wielding Hylian who saves hyrule. I do agree with the idea of giving Young Link the mask but maybe instead of having him transform, what about he wears the mask and gains a certain ability from the mask. Example, neutral B, he puts on the deck mask and spit out a bubble, the move acting similarly to ZZS Lazer gun, Side B Zora Fins, Down B Goron Roll, Up B Spin attack. And with the release of Hyrule Warriors, PM could give Young Link his Two Handed Kokiri Sword and make him a cross between Ike and Link but just make him faster.

Just say.

I really what Young Link back in Smash Bros.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
No. It is pointless.

Falco isn't Wolf who isn't Falco and neither of which are Fox.

Toon Link is just another version of Link who is an older (in terms of gaming years) different version of Toon Link and both are just different versions of Young Link.

It is completely unnecessary to have a 3rd incarnation of the same character (a different character made clone, in which in the case of Wolf is completely inaccurate anyway as he doesn't even fit the semi-clone thing because of his radically different animations compared to Falco/Fox and radically different play-style and while Fox and Falco have similar animations they still play nothing alike really making the clone thing a stretch, but that is besides the point as the clone aspect has nothing to do with it but rather the character aspect of it).

I mean, hell, even Ryu only has one direct character copy of him that can truly be-called a Ryu (Sure, he a **** ton of other clones of him called Shotas but only one of those clones is the same character).

I'd rather have Tingle as a clone of Toon Link then have a 3rd Link. We do not need 3 of the same character.

BlazingFireOmega

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jesse-BFO
3DS FC
1693-0474-5023
It all depends on what Project M could do. Heck, they made Roy a semi-clone of Marth, and I thought that was impossible.

IMO, if he get's added, good. It would be great to have my main back. If he doesn't, I got Roy, Sonic, Mario, and Toon Link himself to keep me company.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
they could do it if they wanted but honestly, but i dont want to see young link in PM. only if he were an alternate costume would i be fine with it. toon link is already based a lot on young link from melee (dair, uair, bombs, ftilt, utilt, dsmash) as well as smash 64 link, and brawl toon link as well. if they brought back young link, they couldnt make him into melee young link, nor could they draw inspiration from 64 or brawl, so they would have to develop an entirely original link. and thats just obnoxious and redundant. i just dont see the point for it. an alternate costume would by far be the best option, but if they cant do that due to character model issues, then i think it best to just forget him.

BlazingFireOmega

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jesse-BFO
3DS FC
1693-0474-5023
And with the release of Hyrule Warriors, PM could give Young Link his Two Handed Kokiri Sword and make him a cross between Ike and Link but just make him faster.
Actually, that could work. He would have some one-handed attacks (Probably his combo-ing strategy) mixed with some of the new two-handed attacks (To deal strong blows.) and his specials could be his OoT slingshot (a full charged shot could stun the enemy) a bombchu, and his standard boomerang. I actually wouldn't mind a Link & Ike styled character.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Actually, that could work. He would have some one-handed attacks (Probably his combo-ing strategy) mixed with some of the new two-handed attacks (To deal strong blows.) and his specials could be his OoT slingshot (a full charged shot could stun the enemy) a bombchu, and his standard boomerang. I actually wouldn't mind a Link & Ike styled character.
Thanks man. Glad some one likes my idea. :)

2Hands

Smash Rookie
I've been playing my cousins copy of Melee, and after playing as Young Link for around 150 matches, ( I'm trying to get up to 700.) I keep thinking : "Project M's Toon Link = Young Link. Wonder what they would do to Toon Link if they add Young Link back...but I doubt that would happen. I hope it does though... "

In my opinion, I think that it would be a great opportunity to make Toon Link his own character, with his own unique attacks, traits, and other stuff, while young link could be what he is, ( A faster, weaker link.) but with small differences. (Like the difference between Marth and Roy, or Fox and Falco.)

What do you guys think they should do?
just get a young link skin? probably about the same shape

DethM

Smash Apprentice
This is rather dumb tbh.

Tink is already his own character. He doesn't equal Yink at all.

They have like 3 similar moves, I guess? That's about it.

McLefty

Smash Rookie
the "M" in Project M stands for Melee. And the project was to add all Melee elements including, gameplay, items, and characters. Since Young Link is in Melee, he needs to be added. They should make toon link what he is. Hero of wind. And for young link's final smash, they should do what hyrule warriors did. He puts on the fierce deity mask and goes insane. They need to change toon links move set, and give it BACK to young link. They honestly should just drop toon link entirely, or make a pack with young link, and one with toon link. problem solved. END OF STORY!

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
lol I know Y. Link doesn't match Toon Links body shape, it's just that by Mcleftys logic all Melee characters should come back and be playable but Dr. Mario is a costume so that logic is disproved X)

Oh and that pic is probably from Project M plus, this mod a guy made awhile back where he got the clone engine to work with Brawl EX so he brought back Young Link and Pichu

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
lol I know Y. Link doesn't match Toon Links body shape, it's just that by Mcleftys logic all Melee characters should come back and be playable but Dr. Mario is a costume so that logic is disproved X)

Oh and that pic is probably from Project M plus, this mod a guy made awhile back where he got the clone engine to work with Brawl EX so he brought back Young Link and Pichu
Oh, sorry. I just seemed like that is what you meant. My apologies.

Hm, I will need to get that then when Project M is release on PAL.

Top Bottom