• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If You Were To Nurf One Character.....

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
If you were to nurf one character in Smash Ultimate, who would it be and why? Don't forget to include how you would nurf said character without harming its core integrity and viability. For example, making Pichu hurt itself just WEEEEEE bit more, or maybe taking away Wolf's forward tilt. Snake's Nikita, even.

Anyway, what are your takes on this? Personally, I'd prefer to buff bad characters than to nurf good characters, but let's just assume buffs don't exist and only nurfs do..... what would be your decision in the shoes of Nintendo?

THIS IS NOT A DEBATE THREAD OR FLAME THREAD. Learn from what people have to say and keep open ears and minds, instead of shutting down a different opinion because you play a different character or matchup and can't see what another player sees.

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
The Mii swordfigther's forward b attack could stand to be nerfed in distance without being to detrimental to the fighter. I've seen too many people spam that thing to one side of the stage to the other. In a 1v1 it's easy to avoid, but in an all out brawl it's a pain to deal with.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I don't play as them, so I don't know the name. It's the one where they fly through the air while spinning like Sonic. Online play I see people excessively use that and it's probably easy to punish on a 1v1 setting, but on free for alls or possibly even teams it's a bit more difficult when you can't just concentrate on them.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
R.O.B.'s Arm Rotor. It has way too much knock-back and kills early off-stage. Not only that, the attack would leave R.O.B. in a helpless state, resulting in it's own death.

Dishonorable mention
Donkey Kong's up special in terms of heavy armor or what it is he has.

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
I'd nerf Bayonetta so that she isn't able to upB infinitely, along with making the move SDI-able.
(yes, there is a feature that allows her to upB as much as she wants, and it can't be SDI'd out of.)

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I would nerf Little Mac into the ground, obviously. He's too stronk and has an amazing recovery that isn't easily gimped or anything.

But nah, I'd probably nerf Pokemon Trainer or, at the very least, change up Ivysaur by adjusting some of the hitboxes on his moves.

Love Tap

Smash Cadet
Ness. Those aerials are oppressive, but I'd be happy if they just nerfed PK thunder. It's really hard to cancel out with a hitbox unlike Snakes nikita, so if you don't main a character that has a reflect or an aerial hitbox with good enough range like a sword to cancel it out, you just get juggled to death the moment you're in disadvantage state. It's dumb. PK fire isn't actually that bad, I don't think. You just can't blindly rush him down and you'll be okay.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Overall I find the game to be quite balanced and don't have a lot of complaints, but there is one thing that vexes me a bit.

Make Wolf's projectile interact with others in-game rather than passing through everything else such that you can block his projectile with your own to protect your approach.

Grie

Smash Apprentice
Remove the armor on incineroar’s up B, this one thing is more annoying than doing 60 with one move.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd probably say make Pichu fall at a slower speed, but that's more of a mixed blessing than an actual nerf; your overall recovery gets buffed, but at the same time, your endurance against vertical knockback takes a hit (which is made even worse if the fighter has a high gravity value).

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Probably change Megaman's Leaf Shield so it's more escapable, then buff something else of his that's not so great in turn. I don't think it's OP and needing a nerf persay, just beyond frustrating to get stuck in it. This is my very subjective opinion just because I hate it a lot.

Then there's recoveries in general. This is probably my one true wish tbh. I hate edgeguarding the Inklings, the electric rats, the Greninjas, the teleporters, the ROBs, etc of this game 45 times just for them to come back regardless. ROB needs a little less gas in the tank, Inklings should maybe have their up B based on how much Ink they have left, Pichu's should maybe damage him more, so you have incentive to only use the single version over the double sometimes. It's frustrating that there are characters who aren't even that great onstage, then they also have a crap recovery to boot, while a lot of these already great characters can also recover from the bottom corner blastzones for free.

Last edited:

Omnos

Smash Cadet
Nerf Ness' yoyo so doesn't hang over the ledge. Such a broken edgeguard that requires no thought at all.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Seeing the knee-jerk reactions here on nerfing characters makes me glad that most people in the community don't have input in the balancing of the game. There is a reason why the backroom is made up of people who actually know what they are talking about.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Seeing the knee-jerk reactions here on nerfing characters makes me glad that most people in the community don't have input in the balancing of the game. There is a reason why the backroom is made up of people who actually know what they are talking about.
This is clearly just for fun. Lighten up.

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
I personally wouldn’t like to nerf anyone because I would rather see buffs for characters who need them, but instead buff the characters who need them, but if I had to pick one character to nerf, it would be Olimar. I would either nerf his grab range or make it to where up throw had less KO power. Not both, but one or the other.

Personally, as long as they don’t nerf my boys Yoshi and Pac-Man, I am good for the next update.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I personally wouldn’t like to nerf anyone because, but instead buff the characters who need them, but if I had to pick one character to nerf, it would be Olimar. I would either nerf his grab range or make it to where up throw had less KO power. Not both, but one or the other.

Personally, as long as they don’t nerf my boys Yoshi and Pac-Man, I am good for the next update.
Funny thing is he already has a built in nerf, since his smash attacks don’t have damage or knockback scaling, even if he charges them fully. I might be a little more scared of Olimar if they fix that.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Is Olimar better in this game then Smash4? I hardly saw anyone use him on 4 and he is nonexistent online for ultimate. At least as far as my match ups go. I feel like out of all the characters, he's the last one deserving a nerf.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Olimar has an extremely high skill floor, but apparently those who actually know how to use him absolutely dominate with him. It sounds like he's a dedicated tournament guy, not something you'll see casual players attempting. So lack of players online =/= bad character.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't really saying he was a terrible fighter. I was just curious where his standing was because I haven't seen many use him, so I really wouldn't be able to give a concrete answer if he needed or didn't need a nerf. I've tried using him a few times, but his style wasn't for me probably.

I did play one match with friends where his small size made them miss a lot of their attacks whereas if I was one of my other main go tos I would had been hit. I hear that's the case with Pichu to.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
There isn't much that I can say about Olimar, but even back in Brawl, his learning curve is highly advanced when compared to most other fighters. You have to know the pros and cons for each Pikmin, but those who can overcome that ordeal can potentially be rewarded for it.

With that said, even if he is a top tiered fighter, Olimar is not someone whom you can learn to use right off the bat. And as such, he can end up feeling distasteful to those who prefer to use a fighter with an easier learning curve.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Olimar is 100x better in Ultimate. He now has transcendent priority on his aerials, meaning his Pikmin don't clank with other attacks, they will take priority and go right through. This wasn't the case in S4 and it was easy for him to take hits that he probably shouldn't have. His usmash combos into itself, and does insane damage. He has a kill throw. He's a lot faster than he was previously. He has a tiny hurtbox. He can play campy AND rushdown.

He's just stupid good. It's just no one plays him who didn't play Olimar in previous games. He really isn't that fun to play unless you're into the nuances of micromanagement that come with the character.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Olimar is 100x better in Ultimate. He now has transcendent priority on his aerials, meaning his Pikmin don't clank with other attacks, they will take priority and go right through. This wasn't the case in S4 and it was easy for him to take hits that he probably shouldn't have. His usmash combos into itself, and does insane damage. He has a kill throw. He's a lot faster than he was previously. He has a tiny hurtbox. He can play campy AND rushdown.

He's just stupid good. It's just no one plays him who didn't play Olimar in previous games. He really isn't that fun to play unless you're into the nuances of micromanagement that come with the character.
I guess the main thing that could hurt Olimar would be to make all of his Pikmin attacks clang with other hitboxes again. Other than that, there's not much else that I can say.

D

Deleted member

Nerf Lucas, more specifically his PK Freeze, because I HATE how everyone associates us Lucas mains with only PK Freeze Spammers, and I'm tired of it. Nerf it so basically no one uses it, or as often!
As someone who mained him since Brawl, whenever I go play Lucas in Ultimate, literally everyone expects me to just be a PK Freeze spammer, and I want it over with.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I just did a spirit board battle where three Lucas cpus were supposed to be the legendary bird Pokemon and literally two of them just pk freezed the whole time. It doesn't help when cpus also spam the attack as it is the most viable option. I'm not just referring to Lucas or Ness cpus but any cpu figther. I've found they all favor using one attack over all the others.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Maybe make it where Wolf's forward tilt doesn't have more range than Shulk's. Shulk's.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Nerf Lucas, more specifically his PK Freeze, because I HATE how everyone associates us Lucas mains with only PK Freeze Spammers, and I'm tired of it. Nerf it so basically no one uses it, or as often!
As someone who mained him since Brawl, whenever I go play Lucas in Ultimate, literally everyone expects me to just be a PK Freeze spammer, and I want it over with.
I mean at least it’s a useful move now.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Ness will gladly take it off your hands

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean....

Make it so that Snake's Up Smash doesn't follow me up to heaven.

I'd like that very much.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ironically, some fighters can completely shut down that kind of strategy; Fox says hello. But yeah, you know when a certain fighter is being hated when people are complaining about him/her having something that's being abused a lot.

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
Ironically, some fighters can completely shut down that kind of strategy; Fox says hello. But yeah, you know when a certain fighter is being hated when people are complaining about him/her having something that's being abused a lot.
Out of every 500 PKfreeze tossed at me, I get hit by 1 and only offstage when my double jump is gone

Nubby

Smash Cadet
Personally I think making it where Pikachu and Yoshi don't have as many good safe on shield attacks and making it where the two can be punished alot more would be a good nerf.

Top Bottom