• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If You Were in Charge of the Super Smash Flash 2 Roster

Pupp135

Smash Lord
While we have threads about what we would’ve done if we were in charge of the SSB series roster, I think it would be fun to do a similar topic with one of the most famous SSB fangames (SSF2)

Below I’ll show pics of the current roster and one of the older ones.

Current Version
Super Smash Flash 2 / Characters - TV Tropes

Early Version
1650731947711.png

Rules:

1. The number of characters must be the same for each demo (note transformation parts count as separate characters, e.g. Zelda and Sheik are two separate fighters)
2. You do not need to worry about clones.
3. The characters must exist a year or two before the demo that they are added in.
4. You need to have at least 3 non-video game characters and 7 other third party characters.
5. The original 8/12 does not need to be used if you don’t want it to.

Here is my take:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultfalcon:
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultcharizard::ultkirby::ultmetaknight:Bandana Waddle Dee:ultsamus::ultzss::ultfox::ultfalco::ultmarth:
:ultness:Isaac:ulticeclimbers::ultpit::ultpacman:Lloyd:ultsnake:Bomberman:ultsimon::ultmegaman::ultryu:Rayman
:ultsonic:Tails, Knuckles,:ultcloud:Tidus:ultsora:Goku, Luffy, Naruto, Ichigo

Demo 0.1 (4) (2007)
Mario, Kirby, Sonic, Goku

0.3 (1, 5 in total) (2008)
Mega Man

0.4 (1, 6 in total) (2009)
Link

0.5a (1, 7 in total) (2009)
Pikachu

0.5b (1, 8 in total) (2009)
Cloud

0.6 (1, 9 in total) (2010)
Snake

0.7 (6, 15 in total) (2011)
Samus/Zero Suit Samus, Bowser, Pit, Sora (Unlockable), Naruto

0.8 (5, 20 in total) (2011)
DK, Yoshi, Fox, Isaac (Unlockable), Tails

0.9a (6, 26 in total) (2013)
Peach, Zelda/Sheik, Ichigo, Bomberman, Ness (Unlockable)

0.9b (3, 29 in total) (2014)
Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, Lloyd

1.0 (10, 39 in total) (2017)
Luigi (unlockable), Jigglypuff (unlockable), Marth, Meta Knight, Wario, Pac-Man, Ryu, Knuckles (unlockable), Rayman (unlockable), Luffy

1.1 (1, 40 in total) (2018)
Tidus

1.2 (6, 46 in total) (2020)
Ganondorf, Simon, Mewtwo, Bandana Waddle Dee, Mr. Game & Watch, Falco

1.3 (1, 47 in total) (2020)
Charizard

0.1: Nintendo’s mascot, one of Smash’s main players, the most requested third party at the time, and a well known anime character.
0.3: A requested third party
0.4: Another member of SSB’s big four
0.5: Rounding out SSB’s big four and adding a character from a notable franchise.
0.6: Adding the other Brawl third party newcomer
0.7: First female with her gimmick from Brawl, the most notable Melee newcomer, a notable Brawl newcomer, a popular third paty and another anime character
0.8: rounding out the original 8, an additional Sonic character, and a character from a Nintendo franchise without a playable fighter at the time (still without one today).
0.9a: adding some more Melee starters, another anime character, requested third party, and our first SSB secret fighter
0.9b: Adding the other SSB secret fighter who was a Melee starter, the remaining Melee starter, and a requested character from a less popular franchise.
1.0: Adding the remaining SSB64 fighters, the first Fire Emblem fighter, the remaining E3 2006 fighters, a few notable/requested third parties, another Sonic character, and the last leading Shonen Jump protagonist.
1.1: I think that I’d probably want to at some point add another Final Fantasy character.
1.2: Some SSB staples, a well missed cut at the time of Brawl, and two requested characters.
1.3: I like the idea of Pokemon Trainer but with it being a complex thing and Charizard being solo in For, I’m fine having Charizard here.

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
My take
First release: Mario, Samus, Kirby and Pikachu
First Update: Sonic
2009 Update: Bowser (for .4), Lucario (for .5) and Link (for .6)
2010 Update: Donkey Kong
2011 Update: Fox, Peach, Yoshi, Lugia and Megaman (.7), Knuckles, Olimar, Meta Knight, Captain Falcon and SpongeBob (.8)
2013 Update: Luigi, Zelda, Bomberman, Pit and Marth
2014 Update: Isabelle, Ness and Godzilla
2017 Update: Ray-Man, Inkling, King Dedede, Mr.Game & Watch, Shantae, Shulk, Falco, Ganondorf, Issac and Wario
2018 Update: Stewie
2020 Update: Incineroar, Simon, Fawful, Krystal, Midna, R.OB and Min-Min
That’s was a mouthful

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
I'll start with some basic/big ones that still show that it's different from Smash
2007: Mario, Link, Sonic, Cloud Strife
2008: Samus Aran
2009: Kirby, Pikachu, Mega Man
2010: Crash Bandicoot
2011: Donkey Kong, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Zelda, Ganon, Little Mac, Pac-Man, Master Chief, Popeye
2013: Fox McCloud, Captain Falcon, Ness, Marth, Ryu, Scorpion
2014: Lucario, King Dedede, Simon Belmont
2017: Yoshi, Mr. Game & Watch, Pit, Wario, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Ridley, K. Rool, Yorgle (Adventure [Atari 2600]), James Bond
2018: Lara Croft
2020: Inkling, Eggman, Bomberman, Solid Snake, Astro Boy, Captain N

Didn't have room, but I would eventually want to include these, or sometimes swap some of the ones I had with these
Ice Climbers
Diddy Kong [possibly w/Dixie], Meta Knight, Ike, Olimar, ROB
Greninja, Robin, Dog & Duck, Shulk, Bayonetta
Banjo & Kazooie, Hero [or Slime], Terry, Steve, Kazuya, Sora
Toad, Isaac, Chibi-Robo, Sandbag, Tails, Knuckles, Black Mage, Rayman

Sheriff or Space Firebird, Frogger, Space Invaders, Q*Bert, Darth Vader, Spider-Man, Superman
Sukapon, Bill Rizer, Ryu Hayabusa, Battletoads, Tetromino, Carmen Sandiego, TMNT, Homer or Bart Simpson
Aran Ryan, Lip, Chun-Li, Morrigan Aensland, Fulgore, Zeke (Zombies Ate My Neighbors) or Sam & Max, Bad Mr. Frosty, DOOM Slayer
Ray MK III, Akari Hayami, Paper Mario, Skull Kid or Tingle, Jill Valentine or Nemesis, Gordon Freeman, the Rock [sure], Tony Hawk, Pepper Roni
Alexandra Roivas, Quote
Chandelure, Nikki (SwapNote), Maxwell, Travis Touchdown, Professor Layton, Chell, Red (Angry Birds)
Abraham Lincoln (Code Name: STEAM)
Frisk or Sans or Undyne (Undertale) or Kris or Suzie (Deltarune) [roll 5-sided dice for this]

Okay, this list is too long, you probably couldn't feasibly include all of these. Don't worry about it. I could probably even think of more later, but this is already too much.

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
My different SSF2 roster

0.1: Mario, Sonic, Kirby, Samus
0.3: Cloud
0.4: Pikachu
0.5a: Mega Man
0.5b: Ryu Hayabusa
0.6: Sora
0.7: Scizor, Agumon, Ness,Yoshi ,Tails ,Link
0.8: Fox, Zelda ,Donkey Kong ,Wario ,Bomberman, Gardevoir
0.9: Lara Croft, Marth ,Meta Knight ,Captain Falcon ,Knuckles ,Snake ,Peach
0.9b:Ridley ,Mr.G&W ,Diddy Kong
1.0 Beta: Wolf ,Bowser ,Luigi ,Marco Rossi ,Ike ,Chibi-Robo ,Rayman ,Lucario ,Conker ,Waluigi
1.1 Beta:Scorpion
1.2 Beta:Ryu ,Villager ,Inkling ,Bandana Waddle Dee ,Doomguy ,Ganondorf
1.3 Beta:Isaac

i believe that the roster is not very complete,the same as SSF2 which is still in Beta,so let's wait when the game is complete

Last edited:

ᑐᑌᑎᑕ

Smash Cadet
0.1: Azrael, Azrael, Azrael, Azrael
0.3: Azrael
0.4: Azrael
0.5a: Azrael
0.5b: Azrael
0.6: Azrael
0.7: Azrael, Azrael, Azrael, Azrael, Azrael, Azrael (Unlockable)
0.8: Azrael, Azrael, Azrael, Azrael, Azrael (Unlockable)
0.9a: Azrael, Azrael, Azrael, Azrael, Azrael, Azrael
0.9b: Azrael, Azrael, Azrael
1.0: Azrael, Azrael, Azrael, Azrael, Azrael, Azrael, Azrael, Azrael, Azrael (Unlockable), Azrael (Unlockable)
1.1: Azrael (Unlockable)
1.2: Azrael, Azrael, Azrael, Azrael, Azrael, Azrael
1.3: Azrael

game's fixed, it's got That Person in it 47 times.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Demo 0.1 (4) (2007)
Mario, Pikachu, Sonic & Mega Man

0.3 (1, 5 in total) (2008)
Link

0.4 (1, 6 in total) (2009)
Kirby

0.5a (1, 7 in total) (2009)
Pac-Man

0.5b (1, 8 in total) (2009)
Samus

0.6 (1, 9 in total) (2010)
Donkey Kong

0.7 (6, 15 in total) (2011)
Luigi, Bowser, Yoshi, Fox, Tails, Spider-Man

0.8 (5, 20 in total) (2011)
Captain Falcon, Ness, Peach, Zelda, Goku

0.9a (6, 26 in total) (2013)
Lucario, Jigglypuff, Wario, Bomberman, Black Mage, Batman

0.9b (3, 29 in total) (2014)
Ganondorf, King Dedede, Ridley

1.0 (10, 39 in total) (2017)
Marth, Pit, Mr. Game & Watch, Toad, Bandana Dee, Mewtwo, Isaac, Chibi-Robo, Sandbag, Villager

1.1 (1, 40 in total) (2018)
Inkling

1.2 (6, 46 in total) (2020)
Pichu, Waluigi, Diddy Kong, Knuckles, Shadow, Darth Vader

1.3 (1, 47 in total) (2020)
Mr. Incredible

My SSF2.png

My roster:
Start:
Mario, Link, Pikachu and Samus

0.3:
Kirby

0.4:
Sonic

0.5a:
Donkey Kong

0.5b:
Pacman

0.6:
Fox

0.7:
Luigi, Bowser, Yoshi, Megaman, Tails, Goku

0.8:
Captain Falcon, Ness, Marth, Peach, Zelda

0.9a:
Ganondorf, Wario, Snake, ROB, Cloud, Mickey Mouse

0.9b:
Lucario, Ridley, King Dedede

1.0:
Pit, Mr. G&W, Daisy, Bandana Dee, Mewtwo, Isaac, Olimar, Chibi-Robo, Villager and Shulk

1.1:
Inkling

1.2:
Sora, Diddy Kong, Scizor, Knuckles, Dr. Eggman, Superman

1.3:
Captain N

The Smash Nerd II.0.

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Flash 2: No fourth party's allowed roster:

• 0.1 (Released 12/25/2007): :ultmario::ultlink::ultkirby: and Lloyd
  • 0.3 (Released 8/15/2008): :ultsonic:
  • 0.4 (Released 1/1/2009) :ultpikachu:
  • 0.5a (Released 6/10/2009): :ultness:
  • 0.5b (Released 7/22/2009): :ultmegaman:
  • 0.6 (Released 6/13/2010)::ultcloud:
  • 0.7 (Released 1/1/2011): Black Mage :ultpeach::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultwario::ultsamus: and Tails
  • 0.8a (Released 12/26/2011): :ultfalcon::ultdk::ultfox::ultjigglypuff::ultyoshi:
  • 0.9 (Released 7/24/2014): Bomberman:ultmetaknight: Chibi-Robo:ultzss::ultmarth:
  • 1.0 (Released 5/29/2017) Bandana Dee:ultbowser::ultfalco: Isaac(Golden Sun):ultluigi::ultgnw::ultpacman::ultpit: and Sandbag
  • 1.1 (Released 7/29/2018): :ultpichu:
  • 1.2 (Released 2/14/2020): Krystal :ultlucario: Rayman :ultryu::ultsimon: and Waluigi
  • 1.3 (Released 12/20/2020): :ultganondorf::ultmewtwo:
My Smash Flash 2 (No fourth party's allowed) Roster.png

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I think that, if I were in charge of the Super Smash Flash roster, I'd probably not want to have too much personal bias in the matter. My own way of handling most of the inclusions would probably be through polls on the McLeodGaming forums or something of the like, and whilst I'd limit the amount of non-video-game characters included, I'd also be sure to include some cool suggestions that didn't get as many votes, as well as a couple of my own personal picks (probably Beat from Jet Set Radio and maybe Michael Jackson), but for the most part I'd basically ensure the original 8 are at the very least in and then work from there with as much audience engagement as possible.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
here is my take on SSF2 roster
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach: Moveset based on Super Princess Peach:ultyoshi::ultwario: Moveset based on Wario Land:waluigirose::ultdk::geno::ultgnw:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf: Completely Unique:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo:Grovyle (PMD):ultrob:
:ultsamus::ultridley::ultfox::ultwolf::ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth:IsaacSukaponBomberman
:ultsonic:TailsKnucklesShadow:ultmegaman:Zero:ultpacman:Lloyd:ultcloud:Black Mage
Crono
:ult_terry:
Mr. IncredibleRaymanNarutoInuyashaGokuRandom
tbh since SSF2 is a pixelated game i would probably throw in a character such as Tetromino, Space Invaders, Bejeweled due to simplicity sprite wise and easier to finish

Last edited:

DreamyMystX64

Smash Cadet
Premium
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Yoshi
Wario
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Link
Zelda (no Sheik)
Ganondorf
Tingle
Kirby
King Dedede
Waddle Dee
Meta Knight
Samus (no Zero Suit)
Ridley
Fox
Wolf
Pikachu
Mewtwo
Marth
Lyn
Pit
Ayumi Tachibana
Captain Falcon
Mach Rider
Ness
Olimar
Isaac
Chibi-Robo
Shulk
Inkling
Spring Man
Mr. Game & Watch
Sonic
NiGHTS
Mega Man
Ryu
Pac-Man
Lloyd
Simon
Bomberman
Cloud
Sora
Rayman
Crash Bandicoot

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Actually, I've come back to this with one thought in mind. I know I've already given my piece so I'll keep it short:

I wouldn't want to be limited by Smash Bros.'s own content. Like, if a veteran character is getting in, and they would benefit from being reinvented or changed in any way, I'd totally love to do that. It may sound like an odd thing to say, but when people mention characters like Sonic and the like not really feeling great, I'd want to reinvent that sort of style in order to make them more approachable overall. Sure, Smash is a great place to start, but if other interpretations would be better or more unique (IN A GOOD WAY), I think it'd be fun to experiment with them. And hey, maybe we could just have the Smash moveset as a sort of alternate selection (imagine it like the Shadow clones in Persona 4 Arena or something like that) so that people could still use that if they wanted to.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Here is a roster of someone who don't remind played the game in their life.

:ultmario:
:ultluigi:
:ultbowser:
:ultpeach:
:ultyoshi:
Kamek​
:ultwario:
(WarioLand/Ware mixup)​
:ultdk:
:ultgnw:
:ultrob:
:ultlink:
(OoT/TP mix)​
:ultzelda:
:ultganondorf:
(Canondorf mostly)​
:ultkirby:
(Reinvented)​
:ultkingdedede:
:ultmetaknight:
Bandana Waddle Dee​
:ultpikachu:
:ultmewtwo:
Blaziken​
:ultsamus:
(Reinvented)​
:ultridley:
:ultfox:
:ultness:
:ultlucas:
:ultfalcon:
:ultmarth:
Lyn​
:ultryu:
:ultmegaman:
Dante
(DMC3)​
:ultsonic:
Dr. Eggman​
Saber​
:ultcloud:
:ultsephiroth:
Crono​
Heihachi​
Lloyd Irving​
Hayabusa​
:ult_terry:
Sol Badguy​
Gintoki
(Gintama)​
Simon
(Gurren Lagann)​
Goku​
Lupin III​
Spiderman​
Random​

Not a big fan of add 4th parties ngl, but it's part of the requirements so....

Last edited:

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Like my last update, this isn't a return; as a matter of fact, something did happen after said update, but I'm not gonna go into detail here.

Back on topic, I randomly stumbled across this on Google and figured it'd be a fun creative exercise. Even then, I'm fine with the roster as is, so cuts like Waluigi, Meta Knight, etc. can easily be reinstated. Same for my SSF1 and Crusade rosters.
  • Demo 0.1 (2007): :ultmario::ultkirby: Lloyd :ultmegaman: (or X)
  • 0.3 (2008): :ultsonic:
  • 0.4 (2009): :ultlink:
  • 0.5a (2009): Spider-Man
  • 0.5b (2009): Bomberman
  • 0.6 (2010): Black Mage
  • 0.7 (2011): :ultpeach: Shadow :ultwario: Quote :ultsamus: Goku
  • 0.8 (2011): :ultyoshi::ultdk::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultfalcon:
  • 0.9a (2013): :ultzelda::ultkingdedede::ultpichu::ultness::ultmarth: AVGN
  • 0.9b (2014): :ultpit:Chibi Robo :ultgnw:
  • 1.0 (2017)::ultluigi::ultbowser:Bandana Dee :ultfalco::ultlucario:Isaac :ultvillager: Sandbag :ultpacman: Mordecai & Rigby (yes, I'm that biased)
  • 1.1 (2018): :ultganondorf:
  • 1.2 (2020): Rayman :ultjigglypuff::ultridley::ultryu::ultsimon: Toad
  • 1.3 (2020): James Bond

While deciding the rosters wasn't too difficult or time consuming, that's not to say that a LOT of characters ended up on the chopping block, thanks to roster limitations. However, like AlRex AlRex 's alternatives, characters can certainly be swapped out between the three rosters.
  • :ulticeclimbers:
  • :ultshulk:
  • :ultwolf:
  • :ultsteve:
  • :ultbayonetta:
  • :ultkrool:
  • :ultgreninja:
  • :ultkazuya:
  • :ultsora:
  • :ultwiifittrainer:
  • :ult_terry:
  • :052:
  • Austin Powers
  • Mr. Incredible
  • Marty McFly
  • Andy/Sami
  • Doraemon
  • Scrooge McDuck
  • TMNT
  • Ganon
  • Popeye
  • Eric Cartman
  • Lyn
  • Homer Simpson
  • Doomguy
  • Professor Layton
  • Naruto
  • Ichigo
  • Natsu
  • Edward Elric
  • Luffy
  • Mickey Mouse
  • Spyro
  • Shovel Knight
  • Joanna Dark
  • Tetromino
  • Batman
  • Godzilla
  • Darth Vader
  • Wreck-it-Ralph
  • Conker
  • Scorpion
  • Dixie Kong
  • RED Team (any member)
  • Marco Rossi
  • Harry Potter
  • Bill Rizer
  • Impa (reuses :ultsheik:'s moveset)
  • Battletoads
  • Chun-Li
  • Mai Shiranui smash is for good boys and girls
  • Edd (Eddsworld)
  • Anyone from Resident Evil
  • Skull Kid
  • Yoda
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Slime
  • Ian Hawke (yes, really)
  • Sophia 3rd
  • Sir Arthur
  • Jibanyan
  • Dante
  • Alucard
  • Strong Bad
  • Nightmare
  • Reimu
  • Maxwell
  • Axl
  • Castle Crasher
  • Super Meat Boy

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Like my last update, this isn't a return; as a matter of fact, something did happen after said update, but I'm not gonna go into detail here.

Back on topic, I randomly stumbled across this on Google and figured it'd be a fun creative exercise, even if I wouldn't change much about the actual roster. I was gonna do a visualised version with Roster Maker, but my computer crashed before I could complete it, so rip.
  • Demo 0.1 (2007): :ultmario::ultkirby: Lloyd :ultmegaman: (or X)
  • 0.3 (2008): :ultsonic:
  • 0.4 (2009): :ultlink:
  • 0.5a (2009): Michael Jackson/Spider-Man (I love both ideas, so credit where it's due)
  • 0.5b (2009): Bomberman
  • 0.6 (2010): Shadow
  • 0.7 (2011): :ultpeach: Black Mage:ultwario: Goku :ultsamus: Quote/Travis Touchdown
  • 0.8 (2011): :ultyoshi::ultdk::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultfalcon:
  • 0.9a (2013): :ultzelda::ultkingdedede::ultpichu::ultness::ultmarth: AVGN
  • 0.9b (2014): :ultpit:Chibi Robo :ultgnw:
  • 1.0 (2017)::ultluigi::ultbowser:Bandana Dee :ultfalco::ultlucario::ultolimar::ultvillager: Sandbag :ultpacman: Mordecai & Rigby (yes, I'm that biased)
  • 1.1 (2018): :ultganondorf:
  • 1.2 (2020): Toad :ultjigglypuff::ultridley::ultryu::ultsimon: Rayman
  • 1.3 (2020): James Bond
As you can see, I'm kinda torn on some of the choices. Huge shoutouts to Zero, Scott Pilgrim, and everyone else from the OG game, all of which I unfortunately couldn't fit in. I also considered:ultbanjokazooie:, who, if you really want them to, can feasibly go over one of the third or fourth parties. Maybe in the future, I'll do Smash Flash 1 and/or Crusade, but who knows?
I like your roster input (James Bond is a pretty interesting choice given that he was 6th/7th on Smash 2 poll when Goldeneye was popular). I hope everything is going well right now.

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Super Smash Flash 1 (this is super cursed, also R.I.P. Mr. Incredible):

Keeping Blue and Blade because I have kind of a soft spot for them and there unfortunately wasn't room for them on my SSF2 roster. Otherwise, they can be taken out for SpongeBob and Falco. Shoutouts to Nazo and Seelkadoom by the way, who can also take their places if we're sticking to fanmade characters.

Super Smash Bros Crusade:

I like your roster input (James Bond is a pretty interesting choice given that he was 6th/7th on Smash 2 poll when Goldeneye was popular). I hope everything is going well right now.
Thanks, though to tell the truth, something pretty big happened recently. Not gonna go in-depth here, as the thread is for fun, but maybe I'll discuss it in the future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom