• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you were in charge of roster picking for an upcoming Smash!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
The toads defensively and instinctively release out spores when struck, like the Toadstool subspecies of actual fungi.
The idea of Peach pulling a Toad out of hammerspace, much like her Sand Wedge, Frying Pan, and Tennis Racket for this is more reasonable for Smash than her just not being harmed by the hit and blowing a kiss that somehow counters the damage.
That was a neat little fact about the toads and I give you credit for it, but I still disagree that it's more reasonable to be able to pull out a full character than blowing powder into someone's face. Sports equipment is easily carried, Toads really aren't.

I get it though, you all don't like my idea, and it was out of place to try and throw my ideas onto someone else; but please let's not act like in a game where characters double jump, pull **** out of nowhere, and where swords somehow clank with feet, that blowing a kiss that blows powder to distract the opponent from finishing their attack is somehow unreasonable.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I think this is the most realistic Super Smash Bros. 5 roster. Any criticisms?

2 new mario characters is a little much, Takamaru shouldn't be there for the same reason he wasn't in 4, 6 fire emblem characters is too many, I'd say either Lucina or Roy would get cut. Greninja would be cut, bomberman, snake and rayman are all unlikely and ridley...well, that's on Sakurai

Burruni

Smash Hero
2 new mario characters is a little much, Takamaru shouldn't be there for the same reason he wasn't in 4, 6 fire emblem characters is too many, I'd say either Lucina or Roy would get cut. Greninja would be cut, bomberman, snake and rayman are all unlikely and ridley...well, that's on Sakurai
1) Takamaru wasn't in Smash 4 because people outside of Japan didn't know him. By virtue of being an assist trophy, he's known now. Marth's games were not localized until after Brawl but he was still known due to Smash.
2) Why would Greninja be cut?

For a dream roster, not bad - covers quite a few bases for a lot of fans. As far as being realistic, though, I think it has too many characters. Just considering the transition from Melee to Brawl, the latter game only had 39 characters and yet 5 of them from Melee couldn't make it back. So, the likelihood of Smash 5 bringing back all 50+ characters from SSB4, as well as adding 20+ new ones, is not looking the highest.

If one is setting out to create a realistic, Sakurai-style roster for the next Smash, cuts have to be given similar consideration to new additions. There's just so much to bring back and to introduce, there's no way they can have it all.

There's nothing wrong with your character choices other than the fact that there are too many to be realistic. I'd like to see you narrow it down to just your favorites, or the ones you think would have the best impact on the final result. So, here's a challenge if you'd feel like doing it: Pick, say, 5 of the returning SSB4 characters that you would allow to be cut if they had to (cutting the lunchbreak clones like Lucina and Dark Pit doesn't count), and then narrow down your newcomers by about half. I think it would make it look a lot more realistic.

Btw, I applaud your variety in picking cuties like Chibi-Robo, big bads like Ridley, and semirealistic warriors like Takamaru. Smash has to keep that kind of thing going.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

My only complaint about this roster is that it seems too realistic. Sakurai never seems to follow the most realistic path possible, he always has a couple of shake-ups here and there. I think you pretty much nailed it though.

BrickGenesis

Smash Rookie
For me I'd keep most of the roster from smash Wii U including DLC While removing a few clones like lucina and dark pit and make them costumes (Dr.Mario can stay.) for newcomers I'd add King K Rool if he isn't already DLC, An Inkling, Daisy, Kiddy kong and Dixie kong combo and if they want some easy characters maybe add Ninten and tails.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

I don't find it very realistic...
Snake and Bomberman are probably not happening because Konami...
Wonder Red is probably not happening because The Wonderful 101 was not critically or commercially successful at all...
We will probably see Lucina and/or Roy cut before a new FE character is introduced...
And I'm extremely iffy on Chorus Kids and Jinbanyan.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
1) Takamaru wasn't in Smash 4 because people outside of Japan didn't know him. By virtue of being an assist trophy, he's known now. Marth's games were not localized until after Brawl but he was still known due to Smash.
2) Why would Greninja be cut?
As of right now, from a realistic perspective, Greninja is one of the most likely cuts for smash 5. It could change if they were to keep pushing him but right now, who knows?

Burruni

Smash Hero
As of right now, from a realistic perspective, Greninja is one of the most likely cuts for smash 5. It could change if they were to keep pushing him but right now, who knows?
But... why? Of the cut veterans, :popo::icsmelee: :ivysaur::squirtle: technical limitations and :mewtwomelee::drmario::roymelee::lucas::wolf: time constraints have been cited as reasons for cuts.

This makes it seem more likely to see characters like :4drmario::4lucina::4drmario::4feroy::4lucas::wolf: being trimmed off late in development instead of someone who doesn't have anything particularly against him.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Greninja is a borderline character imo. He was released without anyone knowing who he really was, and hasn't really grown a huge fanbase since. Definitely a character I can see becoming a victim to "time constraints" next time around, with whatever new Pokemon taking precedence.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
But... why? Of the cut veterans, :popo::icsmelee: :ivysaur::squirtle: technical limitations and :mewtwomelee::drmario::roymelee::lucas::wolf: time constraints have been cited as reasons for cuts.

This makes it seem more likely to see characters like :4drmario::4lucina::4drmario::4feroy::4lucas::wolf: being trimmed off late in development instead of someone who doesn't have anything particularly against him.
Smash 5 will most likely have characters cut due to time restraints too and Greninja is probably first off the chopping board, I agree with Lucas Wolf and Roy being up their too but they could very easily keep Dark Pit, Lucina and Doc wit little to no changes

smash5.jpg

I slapped one of these together a while back, since I know a lot of you appreciate a visual aid. I'm just now getting around to posting it; might as well now, before the ballot characters are revealed and make me change my mind.

The characters being introduced are, in reading order, Mario Maker, Dixie Kong, Tetra, Ridley, Mach Rider, Pikachu Libre, Muddy, Isaac, Chibi-Robo, and Inkling.

The characters I've opted to leave out of the base game are Bowser Jr., Palutena, Falco, Jigglypuff, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Lucina, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu. I want to stress that it does not mean I dislike any of these characters; in fact, I adore each one.

Realistically, the next Smash will include several characters who don't currently exist, but I can only work with the information I have. I refuse to fill up the above image with placeholder squares.

The first thing I suspect people will say is: why only fifty characters? Well, it is a satisfying number to be sure. I actually consider that to be the upper limit of characters in the base game, though. The number of characters isn't what blows up development time; the number of unique character pairs that must be balanced is what to really look at. Fifty characters results in 1,225 matchups to balance. It's basically a massive round robin where each round takes weeks. Even with all of Namco's help, SSB4 cranked out 45 characters (not counting the costume clones or the Mii fighters), so I didn't increase that expectation by much.

Note: Isaac (which uses Smashified's art) is the only character I just sort of slapped in there to appease others. Other candidates were Mallo, Dr. Kawashima, or something from Rhythm Heaven, but my indecision is crippling. Maybe consider Isaac more of a "wild card" square for an undecided character.

Share with me your opinions on this gathering of intellectual property.

View attachment 76121

I slapped one of these together a while back, since I know a lot of you appreciate a visual aid. I'm just now getting around to posting it; might as well now, before the ballot characters are revealed and make me change my mind.

The characters being introduced are, in reading order, Mario Maker, Dixie Kong, Tetra, Ridley, Mach Rider, Pikachu Libre, Muddy, Isaac, Chibi-Robo, and Inkling.

The characters I've opted to leave out of the base game are Bowser Jr., Palutena, Falco, Jigglypuff, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Lucina, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu. I want to stress that it does not mean I dislike any of these characters; in fact, I adore each one.

Realistically, the next Smash will include several characters who don't currently exist, but I can only work with the information I have. I refuse to fill up the above image with placeholder squares.

The first thing I suspect people will say is: why only fifty characters? Well, it is a satisfying number to be sure. I actually consider that to be the upper limit of characters in the base game, though. The number of characters isn't what blows up development time; the number of unique character pairs that must be balanced is what to really look at. Fifty characters results in 1,225 matchups to balance. It's basically a massive round robin where each round takes weeks. Even with all of Namco's help, SSB4 cranked out 45 characters (not counting the costume clones or the Mii fighters), so I didn't increase that expectation by much.

Note: Isaac (which uses Smashified's art) is the only character I just sort of slapped in there to appease others. Other candidates were Mallo, Dr. Kawashima, or something from Rhythm Heaven, but my indecision is crippling. Maybe consider Isaac more of a "wild card" square for an undecided character.

You cut Bowser Jr and Jigglypuff, and added second Mario and second Pikachu instead?! Why?

You cut Bowser Jr and Jigglypuff, and added second Mario and second Pikachu instead?! Why?
My concept for "Mario Maker" is fully fleshed out, so I was a little zealous about adding him. The DLC stage that came out since then makes me reconsider the character, but I don't feel like messing with the image anymore.

My thought about Jigglypuff is that it is somewhat expendable to the whole product, but people would be more than willing to buy it as $4 DLC. That may sound unethical, but that's what DLC is all about anyway.

I want to point out that I didn't necessarily decide which characters to cut or to replace, but I decided which ones to keep. So, you pointing out that I've cut Jigglypuff for Pikachu Libre is actually a new realization to me.

My concept for "Mario Maker" is fully fleshed out, so I was a little zealous about adding him. The DLC stage that came out since then makes me reconsider the character, but I don't feel like messing with the image anymore.

My thought about Jigglypuff is that it is somewhat expendable to the whole product, but people would be more than willing to buy it as $4 DLC. That may sound unethical, but that's what DLC is all about anyway.

I want to point out that I didn't necessarily decide which characters to cut or to replace, but I decided which ones to keep. So, you pointing out that I've cut Jigglypuff for Pikachu Libre is actually a new realization to me.
I see.... Would like to hear your explanation on Pikachu Libre, why did you add her instead of other, different Pokemon?

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
View attachment 76121

Game and Watch, R.O.B., and Bowser Jr. cut? I can get the rest of the cuts, but... those three?

:007:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
May I ask why you came to the conclusion Jigglypuff was more expendable than say Lucario or Greninja? While she admittedly isn't up to par with the other members of the original 12 she's still more iconic than Greninja, is catch-able in every main handheld game (surprisingly Pikachu doesn't), and has additional seniority. I understood why you made most of the decisions you did but I'm just really puzzled by that one.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
May I ask why you came to the conclusion Jigglypuff was more expendable than say Lucario or Greninja? While she admittedly isn't up to par with the other members of the original 12 she's still more iconic than Greninja, is catch-able in every main handheld game (surprisingly Pikachu doesn't), and has additional seniority. I understood why you made most of the decisions you did but I'm just really puzzled by that one.
A lot of people just don't like Jiggs. I've come to my peace with it, but it seems like every time I see characters cut, Jiggly was at least considered to be involved.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I'd like to know how Lucario, one of the most iconic and important Pokémon of today, is more expendable than a Pokémon who's hey day is long gone. And no "original 12" is not a reason. I'll agree though that Greninja is more expendable.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'd like to know how Lucario, one of the most iconic and important Pokémon of today, is more expendable than a Pokémon who's hey day is long gone. And no "original 12" is not a reason. I'll agree though that Greninja is more expendable.

It IS a reason though. Just because you don't like the reason doesn't make it not a reason. And just 'cause Puff isn't as popular now as she was then, doesn't make her insignificant. She helped launch Pokemon to the status it is today, by being a the mascot to the series in Japan back in the day. Much more important than being the best character in meh generation, if you ask me.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

Lucario is more popular and more relevant than Jigglypuff, however he still isn't as iconic
Smash popularity.png
Not to mention Jigglypuff has a 82% like ratio inside the smash fanbase as opposed to Lucario's 69%, she's less popular outside of Smash, but still more popular inside Smash according to the reputable source gaming.

Now obviously, Lucario being below Jigglypuff in terms of priority is still very debatable, but you can at least see where I'm coming from now, right?

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I already put mine a couple of pages ago, but updated it a bit and put it what i think would be worthy alternate costumes

Alternate Costumes:

Mario: Dr. Mario
Luigi: Mr. L
Marth: Lucina
Snake: Big Boss
Ryu: Evil Ryu
Pac-Man: Mrs. Pac-Man
Little Mac: Hooded Mac/8-Bit Mac
Fox: James McCloud
Bayonetta: Bayonetta 1 Style
Ganondorf: Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf
Link: Hyrule Warriors Link
Zelda: Hyrule Warriors Link
Olimar: Alph
Bowser Jr.: Koopalings
Inkling: Male Inkling
Pit: Dark Pit
Robin: Hooded Robin (Grima) for both Male & Female
Lucas: Claus
Captain Falcon: Blood Falcon

Thank you for the responses, everyone. Just got off work so now I can reply.

I see.... Would like to hear your explanation on Pikachu Libre, why did you add her instead of other, different Pokemon?
Always liked the cosplay Pikachu, but Libre in particular has the ironic combo of being tough and adorable, and its role in Pokken offers a reason to choose it over the other four. (I would also be content with the cosplay Pikachus simply being costume swaps for the regular Pikachu, but the prospect of doing electric luchador moves is just too good for me to pass up.)

Game and Watch, R.O.B., and Bowser Jr. cut? I can get the rest of the cuts, but... those three?

For R.O.B. and G&W, it's mostly because their universes have no growing room and have met dead ends. Sure, the characters could keep appearing anyway, but once you're reaching red-alert levels of having too many characters to bring back, they are the one-character universes most easily dropped. Can't give you a reason for Bowser Jr. other than when I was thinking of which characters playstyle's needed to return to constitute a fleshed-out Smash, he was one of the last ones I thought of, and it was after the cut-off point.

My reasoning is that, besides Pikachu, the most popular Pokémon that stay in most trainers' teams are the starters and the legendaries, which I felt secured Charizard, Greninja and Mewtwo. Lucario is mostly back because of his starring role in Pokken, but I guess there's no telling if he will still be popular in time for SSB5. Jigglypuff seems to keep narrowly avoiding the axe in Smash games and I think she's going to get it eventually.

A lot of people just don't like Jiggs. I've come to my peace with it, but it seems like every time I see characters cut, Jiggly was at least considered to be involved.
I actually love Jigglypuff, and she's one of my secondaries for SSB4 (I used to consider it and Little Mac to be my two mains). However, if characters are going to be cut, it's got to be somebody's favorite.

---

Regarding cut characters, I feel that it's a little easier to do it now, with the prospect of them returning after retail release via DLC. To sell the main game, they have to include quite a few new faces, even if that means some painful cuts to make it all happen in time. But, being cut from the base game no longer has to mean they're gone forever. That was in my mind as I decided to exclude classics like Jigglypuff, Falco, and G&W from the starting lineup.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace

Okay, here's my MORE realistic roster. Lol. I made it less fan-servicey with an emphasis on characters from the Wii U and 3DS generation.

Newcomers:
Captain Toad
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool
Takamaru
Impa
Ridley
Fire Emblem Rep.
Pokemon Rep.
Isaac
Animal Villager
Chibi Robo
Elma
Chorus Kids
Wonder Red
Inkling
Rayman
Jibanyan

Removed characters (from my previous roster):
Dr. Mario
Paper Mario
Dark Pit
Roy
Waddle Dee
Krystal
Snake
Bomberman

Burruni

Smash Hero
1: He didn't cut Toon Link.
2: The cuts he did make were perfectly fine.
3: While the ICs exclusion baffles me too, he probably has a reason for it.

The only real issue with his roster is how small it is.

I admit, I messed up on TL.

But namely the cuts of Sheik and ZSS are what come off as "wrong," and TL to a slightly smaller extent.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
View attachment 76639

This would be my FULL roster (I think there are 72, in that case I would remove Geno and Lip)

:4darkpit::4drmario::4lucina::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::4alph: They would all be Alt costumes.

Any thoughts?
Seems decent for the most part; the biggest problem that I have with it is that adding both Sceptile and Deoxys seems a bit much. One or the other is fine, but I'm not sure if both need to be included. Lip and Prince Sable seem like odd choices to me, but I'm not familiar with Prince Sable's game, so maybe he could work and I just don't know it.

EDIT: Actually, looking into it, For Frog the Bell Tolls is a Zelda style adventure game, so it could work. Still not sure about Lip, though - I've played games similar to hers, like Pokemon Puzzle League, and it doesn't seem like a style of gameplay that would transfer well to Smash Bros.

Last edited:

TikiFan

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
It's obvious I'm in the minority for not really caring about the DK / Metroid "under-representation."

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Most of these fan rosters look fantastic and so well done. Loving your roster the most Bebe Mignon Bebe Mignon since it has Jibanyan (Yo-Kai Watch FTW), Takamaru, and Elma.

Good thing a certain pal of mines told me about Roster Maker a long time ago and I would like to show my updated roster later this week. :)

Chase

Smash Ace

Another update to mine. I've tried to be both hopeful and realistic.
CUTS: :4drmario::4darkpit::4lucina::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4sheik:(replaced with Impa) :4zss: :4ryu:

This is a roster with both my predictions and my hopes on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom