• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you had to remove one character

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Threads like these exist everywhere but if I had to choose one fighter to remove, definitely Corrin.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Piranha Plant. Easiest decision of my life.

No other character comes close to what a complete abomination and waste of development time this thing was.

Pretty much single handedly ruined Ultimate's roster for me (and that’s saying A LOT, a character pick would have to be downright ATROCIOUS to be able to ruin a roster with every veteran returning). What a complete insult to every other more qualified character that could have made it in.

And it's so heartbreaking since Ultimate is likely the last game in the series that will be able to bring everyone back. Now if any future newcomers make it in a future game, they wouldn't be able to fight every single veteran from previous games, but a Plant would. The very thought makes me want to vomit.

Last edited:

GhostM

Phantom
I would go with Piranha Plant. For me personally I’ve never thought about PP being a valid smash character nor have I ever had a thought in mind to request that character for Smash. Would’ve been better for them to remove this character to allow other characters to have a chance.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Isabelle. All the rest fit easily into a fighting series easily(nobody feels like their personality clashes with the idea of being a violent character in comparison. So she does stick out like a sore thumb to me compared to the rest, though she's still fun to use. Could be way more unique/actually focus on her own abilities instead of being Villager 2.0).

But she's the only one who directly fits better with her Assist Trophy role, as it did an amazing job at representing her character, imo obviously. Though to be fair, I don't see being an AT as an insult in any way, and it'd still do an amazing job with AC representation, even with Villager as the only character. AC still feels perfectly represented as it has the most logical AT. I do miss Resetti as an AT though. That said, Cap'n felt shoehorned in and wasn't a very interesting AT to begin with. Just felt there for the sake of having one. Resetti should've came back with Isabelle's promotion, really.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Easy. Bye bye, Daisy. Probably the worst voice in the game.
If echo characters are not a valid answer, I say Corrin should leave.

Dan

Smash Lord
Woah... for once I actually agree with the majority regarding Smash, or I'm among my people: Corrin first and Piranha second. In theory it should be a clone, but for Smash, I value who the character is more than their moveset... it really shouldn't be that way, but it is.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Bayonetta without a second thought, imo she is unquestionably the most out of place character in the entire roster and I would genuinely rather ten more generic moons be playable over her, actually I would love that. Her entire existence in smash being that of essentially lie certainly doesn’t help her case either if you ask me

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
:ultcorrinf: without a doubt. Probably the most forced addition to Smash.

Honorable mentions: :ultincineroar::ultpiranha::ultbayonetta:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Why Corrin of all characters? :yoshi:
Well, I just find nothing appealing about the character. For a lot of others, it's mainly the fact that she took one of the 7 DLC slots in Smash 4 and that put a huge amount of salt in the wound for a lot of people. Since before hand Fire Emblem got Lucina and Robin as newcomers in base and than they got back Roy shortly before Corrin. So Corrin is almost the reason people are tired of seeing Fire Emblem characters in the roster.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I've never played Fates but everyone I know who has told me it's mediocre.

But the real issue is that nobody wanted Corrin in Smash to begin with and they were incredibly forced into the game. Especially in the West, where the game wasn't even out yet. Not to mention Fire Emblem as a series has some fat to trim, so Corrin is the prime candidate.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Her inclusion was forced, because they had to promote her game somehow. Almost nobody likes her, pretty sure if you ask any Fire Emblem fan to pick a different rep to replace her, they'll give you a dozen better choices.

The only "good" thing about her, is that she's kinda cute, I guess. And I believe people think that too, since I still haven't found a Male Corrin player online.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I see a lot of people saying “lol Corrin was forced” and while I can see where they’re coming from, this isn’t the first time this has happened (eh, Roy?).
Nobody ever said they wouldn't remove Roy if they were given a second option.

Also understand that Roy's game was the first to be brought to the west so people would obviously like him more than a mediocre game on the 3DS.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Nobody ever said they wouldn't remove Roy if they were given a second option.

Also understand that Roy's game was the first to be brought to the west so people would obviously like him more than a mediocre game on the 3DS.
Roy's father's game was the first to be brought to the west. Not Roy. Roy only makes a tiny cameo at the end.
Roy's main FE entry is STILL not officially released in English, so he would be completely Japan Only aside from that cameo if not for Smash and spin offs like Fire Emblem Heroes and DLC.
That's why he always spoke Japanese in Smash until Ultimate, because it wasn't til the mobile game was released that he had a FE English voice actor.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Roy's father's game was the first to be brought to the west. Not Roy. Roy only makes a tiny cameo at the end.
Roy's main FE entry is STILL not officially released in English, so he would be completely Japan Only aside from that cameo if not for Smash and spin offs like Fire Emblem Heroes and DLC.
That's why he always spoke Japanese in Smash until Ultimate, because it wasn't til the mobile game was released that he had a FE English voice actor.
I'm not well versed in Fire Emblem history but my point still stands.

People are simply more attached to Roy than they are Corrin. That's why just about everyone would jump the gun on Corrin first.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
User was warned for this post; trolling
I'm not well versed in Fire Emblem history but my point still stands.

People are simply more attached to Roy than they are Corrin. That's why just about everyone would jump the gun on Corrin first.
Well that's simply cause Roy was added in a Smash game earlier.
Wasn't really a diehard fan of Corrin to begin with either, alongside Incineroar (and they'd probably be a very distant 2nd or 3rd choice), but there are still smaller reasons I could still tolerate them. Obviously there's another character far below either of them that I really can't believe isn't being 100% universally agreed upon in this thread (or at least a plurality/majority). What is wrong with you people? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Wasn't really a diehard fan of Corrin to begin with either, alongside Incineroar (and they'd probably be a very distant 2nd or 3rd choice), but there are still smaller reasons I could still tolerate them. Obviously there's another character far below either of them that I really can't believe isn't being 100% universally agreed upon in this thread (or at least a plurality/majority). What is wrong with you people? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Lemme guess-Piranha Plant? Can we PLEASE be civil about this?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Obviously it's piranha plant, as evidenced by your post history.

The reason people aren't picking Piranha Plant is because not everyone share's your opinion that the plant was some abomination to the roster that ruins the game and was a waste of time. You know, it's pretty rude to imply that there's something "wrong with people" just because they have a different opinion than you.

I don't know about other people but I enjoy Plant because it was a nice surprise, similar to R.O.B. or Wii Fit trainer. It wasn't another anime swordfighter or a clone of, well, anyone. Piranha Plant's moveset is in a class by itself and plays like no other fighter. While I have no doubts that Plant will remain a low tier, it's still really fun to play as and I would be disappointed to see it go. Not to mention, who's more recognizable: An anime character with hair that looks like the Sydney Opera House, or the enemy that appears in practically every Mario game ever? Piranha Plant is a testament to how overlooked some characters are. I wouldn't be unhappy if we got more generic enemies like Dry Bones or a Lizalfos.

ze9

Smash Ace
There's a lot of characters I don't really like, but Corrin is the only one I'd remove without feeling any hint of remorse.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
:ultdarkpit:, :ultdaisy:, or :ultbayonetta:

As forced as :ultcorrinf: was, she is probably one of the most unique and fun FE characters to play, so cutting her over the many clones and semiclones FE has feels questionable for me at least. I would cut :ultchrom: or :ultlucina: in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I mean, I'd gladly keep Corrin over Roy, Lucina or Chrom. At least Corrin does something ****ing different.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Lemme guess-Piranha Plant? Can we PLEASE be civil about this?
>Thread about removing characters
>Being civil

Pick one

Obviously it's piranha plant, as evidenced by your post history.

The reason people aren't picking Piranha Plant is because not everyone share's your opinion that the plant was some abomination to the roster that ruins the game and was a waste of time. You know, it's pretty rude to imply that there's something "wrong with people" just because they have a different opinion than you.

I don't know about other people but I enjoy Plant because it was a nice surprise, similar to R.O.B. or Wii Fit trainer. It wasn't another anime swordfighter or a clone of, well, anyone. Piranha Plant's moveset is in a class by itself and plays like no other fighter. While I have no doubts that Plant will remain a low tier, it's still really fun to play as and I would be disappointed to see it go. Not to mention, who's more recognizable: An anime character with hair that looks like the Sydney Opera House, or the enemy that appears in practically every Mario game ever? Piranha Plant is a testament to how overlooked some characters are. I wouldn't be unhappy if we got more generic enemies like Dry Bones or a Lizalfos.
Sure, not everyone has to share my opinion and I have the right to criticize those I disagree with.
Goku and Batman are recognizable characters, doesn’t mean they should be in.

If I had to choose between cutting Corrin and the Plant I’d cut the Plant in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
You do got a point.
If you’re going to participate in a thread made purely out of spite, you might as well go all out.
The “abomination” comment was a little bit of a hyperbole, but hey, “when in Rome”.... ;);););)

I was just surprised this thread lasted as long as it did. Usually they implode in on themselves like the time bombs they are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom