• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you had spent all your time with something else instead of Melee?

Ten of Nine

Smash Apprentice
Now this isn't meant to be depressing or discouraging, just what I consider an interesting question.

As we all know SSBM consumes a lot of time, and we all spend that time (which goes by way too fast) in this lovely game because it's so much fun. Studying data, theorycrafting, reading and responding on here and reddit, watching VODs/Streams, analyzing those VODs, practicing, Tech etc. But if you think about it from a productivity or "job" POV it is probably one of the most inefficient uses of time. For instance if you consider even top players that have sponsors and place at nationals the amount of time they have put in so far would probably not even equal out to minimum wage yet. Still though I consider it much better than time spent with random games (new or old) where no contiguous skill is accumulated.

So what if you could somehow transfer that motivation, enthusiasm, and fun to any other hobby/studies instead, perhaps something productive? What would those be?

For me it'd be learning Japanese, mastering Apple programming languages (Cocoa and Obj-C), and playing Guitar.

If I could magically transfer the massive amount of time I've spent with Melee into those fields I'd probably be a an expert at all and earning 6 figures. But maybe I'd be miserable :teeth:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I spend a few hours a week doing Melee related things and I can't really say I regret it. I've met a lot of cool people through smash and have had a lot of fun, it's sort of like any other hobby.

Suzukipot

Actual Mother trash
NNID
em12498
3DS FC
0404-9964-5652
Honestly, if I wasn't spending what little time I spend on Melee already doing something else, I'd probably be putting more effort into Smash64 or Sm4sh.

Ten of Nine

Smash Apprentice
Oh I never even thought of that. I've tried all the other smash games, none ever appealed to me to the addictive degree Melee does. I guess Smash 64 would be my 2nd choice though if Melee didn't exist.

Or maybe DDR if I had to chose a game to spend the time on; it's a lot of fun, has a competitive scene still and is great exercise.

Ezlo

Smash Cadet
honestly, Melee gave me a work ethic, so if I didn't play Melee I might not be as good at, say, trombone, as I am now.
That being said, assuming I worked as hard, I'd probably be a better musician and be better at puzzles :3

Top Bottom