• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If You Could Make 3 Changes to PT...

Father Kelso

Smash Cadet
what would they be?

Mine are:
1. Slightly nerf Flare Blitz, improve frame data of Tail Whip (or possibly other frame data improvements). Right now Charizard is too much of a 1-hitter-quitter. Being a 1-hitter-quitter is fine, it's his job, but I think he could be rounded out a bit better.
2. Vinewhip more reliably grabs the ledge offstage. Honestly I think it should only go through the ledge when you do the drop down from ledge to up b to regrab thing. As it is now, sometimes it goes through the ledge even when I'm quite far from it, leading to my death too many times.
3. Squirtle can cancel withdraw slightly sooner. Either that or slightly buff kill power in general. I get that he's not supposed to be a finisher, but his kill power at the moment is just pathetic, possibly the worst in the game (although I guess someone has to have that title).

Last edited:

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
I would:

1: Make it so Charizard's fair autocancels from short hop.
2: Increase the size and duration of Charizard's nair hitboxes.
3: Change Ivysaurs dair so that the sourspot now launches the opponent horizontally but the sweetspot deals more damage and knockback.

I would also love if squirtles f-smash actually matched its animation and if Zard's d-tilt had head intangibility.

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
1: Charizard f-air autocancel
2: Charizard flare blitz always grabs ledge if hitbox is no longer active
3: Slight Squirtle run speed buff
Ivy d-air sourspot is much weaker

Wnyke

Smash Cadet
1. Charizard's Dthrow got more hitstun.
2. Flareblitz had more shield damage.
3. Nair fire in tail Hitbox were bigger

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
1. Charizard f-air autocancels from short-hop
2. Zard n-air actually worked the way it used to regarding hitboxes
3. MOST IMPORTANTLY, fix male and female trainers' facial animations right after their victory animation. *UGH*

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
1. Make squirtle a bit faster, he is supposed to be this aggresive rushdown-ish character yet he lacks the speed. He is like third lightest character but his mobility on ground is average and he is not fast at all in the air. Making his running speed 1.85 ish or his air speed like 1.1, this would make wonders to his excelent moveset.

2. Make charizards nair hitbox bigger and autoancel on sh.

3. Make charizards upthrow kill earlier.

With those changes, we would get the speed to deal with heavy zoners that actually causes problems to PT and the power from zard to have confirms and even better edguarding.

Gemba Board

Smash Apprentice
1. Increase hitbox size on Charizard jab1 2 and 3.
2. Increase hitbox size on Charizard nair.
3. Increase Charizard air mobility.

Or something like that. PT is unstoppable if Charizard becomes viable.

Jgod

Smash Cadet
Increase zards air accel
decrease zards jab 2 faf frames.
let zards fair autocancel from sh

Rizen

Smash Legend
1 Bring back Squirtle's hydroplaning from Brawl.
2 Give both trainers completely different voices.
3 Make bullet seed aimable like flamethrower so it's not useless.

Last edited:

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
1 Bring back Squirtle's hydroplaning from Brawl.
2 Give both trainers completely different voices.
3 Make bullet seed aimable like flamethrower so it's not useless.
Number 3 would be the perfect way to help that move, even if it was only like 15° in either direction so I could cover platforms better.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
1) Bring back squirtle's hydroplaning
2) make squirtle's up smash look visually similar to its iteration in brawl.
3) Improve charizard's startup frames for his attacks (at least for his dtilt)
or
alt 3) give charizard his glide from brawl.

on a side note, why does everyone seem to hate Ivy's nuetral special? It may be a bit situational, but it has decent start up, suck opponents in on the initial hit, does about 14-25% damage, can be used from the air, and it send the opponent in the air so you can continue juggling them. I can regularly land a full Ivy nuetral with no issue for the full 24% where as in anytime I try to do any of charizard's moves, I feel like I'm taking a gamble. IDK, I feel like most players are sleeping on this move because the overall power of Ivy's kit.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
1) Bring back squirtle's hydroplaning
2) make squirtle's up smash look visually similar to its iteration in brawl.
3) Improve charizard's startup frames for his attacks (at least for his dtilt)
or
alt 3) give charizard his glide from brawl.

on a side note, why does everyone seem to hate Ivy's nuetral special? It may be a bit situational, but it has decent start up, suck opponents in on the initial hit, does about 14-25% damage, can be used from the air, and it send the opponent in the air so you can continue juggling them. I can regularly land a full Ivy nuetral with no issue for the full 24% where as in anytime I try to do any of charizard's moves, I feel like I'm taking a gamble. IDK, I feel like most players are sleeping on this move because the overall power of Ivy's kit.
It's not like bullet seed is terrible but you can't use it OoS and it seems like there's always a safer option. I never see pros using it. The strait up hitboxes are kind of awkward, especially when Ivy has a crazy Uair.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I get that, but it does have a starting hitbox on Ivy's left and right side that sucks the opponent in . This means Ivysaur can use it as a mixup approach option to unsuspecting opponents for a respectable amount of damage. this move can land even if you are angled about 45% degrees above them, allowing Ivy a different arial approach option.

USAnyan

Smash Cadet
1 give charizard a bunch of quality of life buffs(frame data In particular, but I’ll take literally anything). Getting tired of him just being the recovery/high percent/ finish the deal slave.

2 make razor leaf and bullet sees angleable: not as big of a deal for me honestly, the latter winds up wiffing a lot tho and would be nice to hit better since it’s a good mixup. Formers not a big deal either, it’s just be nice.

3 OP never said it’d have to be realistic, gen 8 trainer alts. (Or just more alts in general) I’d PAY for those.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
To change Pokemon, you press A+B at the same time (it was a waste designating A+B as yet another Smash attack option). This frees up a 4th special move

Each Pokemon gets a unique Final Smash depending on the on-point Pokemon

Squirtle's Down Smash looks like it did in Brawl; where it ****ing SLAMS THE GROUND so hard it creates dual water geysers, instead of this lame gentle "raises it fin and water rises" animation :thumbsdown:

Last edited:

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
To change Pokemon, you press A+B at the same time (it was a waste designating A+B as yet another Smash attack option). This frees up a 4th special move

Squirtle's Down Smash looks like it did in Brawl; where it ****ing SLAMS THE GROUND so hard it creates dual water geysers, instead of this lame gentle "raises it fin and water rises" animation :thumbsdown:
That is actually up smash, but your point still stands lol

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
I can see this change messing up recoveries so easily (instead of switching an aerial comes out etc.)
Cool, but antithetical to the whole design. You're "playing as" the Trainer, thus the final smash should incorporate all three at once. Plus Triple finish is siiiick and has a bunch of subtle nods to mechanics in Pokemon.
Maybe if there were an option to play as each individually I could see it work.

Father Kelso

Smash Cadet
I've decided to change my changes. Here they are:

1. I'm stealing this from someone else, but a + b is now used for switching. I don't know what squirtle and Ivy's new down b's will be, but we all know Zard's would be rock smash.

2. Water gun now deals damage similar to Greninja's Hydropump.

3. Bullet seed removed. Replaced with Giga Drain. Giga Drain launches a large green projectile that behaves very similar to PK Freeze/PK Flash. Does not do a huge amount of damage or knockback, but if it lands will heal Ivysaur for a small amount.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
1. Each Pokemon gets a down b.

Squirtle get a counter, he retreats into his shell and when struck lets out a blast of water. Shouldn't be a kill move, and more of a way to help squirtle get in against certain MU's like Pika and Wolf.

Ivysaur gets petal dance, its a similar motion as his forward tilt, except it hits on both sides and is chargeable. Off-stage it gives him a little extra horizontal recovery.

Charizard gets Rock Smash.

2. Zard's fair auto cancels.

3. Zard's nair tail hitbox becomes larger.

This would probably make the character broken though.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
1. Allow each pokemon to be 'solo' playable with a full moveset. Whether this means changing the button/s needed to swap or making 'echo' fighters of PT's different pokemon.

2. Allow Squirtle to more easily get back down to the stage by having a faster fast-fall.

3. Give Squirtle more KO power by increasing knock-back growth of d-tilt.

BigRedMonster07

Smash Cadet
1. Increase the recovery distance on :ultsquirtle: up B. It always seems to go just not far enough
2. Make :ultivysaur: neutral B an actually useful move, possibly allowing it to be tilted like :ultpit:neutral B. Yes I know it's meant to be an anti air option but he has a good up air and up B.
3. Be able to switch through the queue, i.e. from :ultsquirtle:to:ultcharizard:, :ultivysaur:to:ultsquirtle:or:ultcharizard:to:ultivysaur: by rapidly tapping down B twice. I see no reason why you have to stick to this rotation

Top Bottom