• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

if you could choose a second Sonic rep - who'd it be?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
based on a similar post on the Simon/Richter thread.

there's 5 main choices here - Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Shadow and Metal Sonic, but some people might want others.

I personally would go with Eggman - with all those years of varied boss battles, there is tons to work with. my second choice, and first choice under certain circumstances, would be Tails, I say "first choice under certain circumstances" because while Tails with a moveset based on Sonic Battle would be cool, it wouldn't particularly interest me in the same way a Tails based on the trilogy of Tails games would. scrap the arm cannons and spin-dashes, give me 10 ton weights, musical instruments and bombs!

SonicMario

Smash Master
I still gotta go with Tails. A 2nd Sonic character likely isn't happening in Ultimate. But I'll still stand by that Tails should be a front-runner for being one of the few sidekicks to hit Luigi big at one point.

If Echo fighters return next time, that leaves the door open for Shadow too. But who knows what happens by the time the next Smash rolls around, considering this one isn't even 2 weeks old at this point.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Knuckles, hands-down. Replace his assist trophy with Tails who would follow you around like he did in the original Sonic games. That or Dr. Eggman as a new assist trophy.

Last edited:

Aussie1024

"Stow your fear. It's now or never!"
Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
My first choice is Shadow because he can be used as an echo for Sonic. I thought he was gonna get in Ultimate (maybe he could thru DLC, but I highly doubt that considering their work on him as an assist trophy), but he could get in if another Smash game is made in the future.

My second choice would either be Tails or Knuckles. If a Sonic character does get in Ultimate via DLC, I could see it being Tails. With him being Sonic's sidekick since Sonic 2, I think that would make the most sense. I don't know what they would base his moveset off of though (a mix of Fighters and Adventure?).

Knuckles would be a fun add, but I'm entirely sure where he would fit in. If Ultimate isn't the last game in the series, I don't really see Sonic getting more than 2-3 characters in future games (including Sonic). Since Sonic is a 3rd party franchise, I can't really see more than that (Street Fighter will probably max out at 2) so the two I'll go with are Shadow (echo) and Tails (potentially as Ultimate DLC, but still unsure)

D

Deleted member

Beat
From Jet Set Radio

Why does it have to be a Sonic Rep HUH!?! Have anything against regular SEGA, DOES IT HAVE TO BE ANOTHER SONIC REP!?!?!?! AGHDUILASGDYAJSFDGWRFTGWSF^YFTGWMYFEFERWTFWIG

(On a more serious note, Tails, just because I like Tails the most)

Last edited by a moderator:

newsuperhackboys

Smash Cadet
Tails is an obvious one. He can easily be an echo of Sonic. He's a very important character since the second Sonic game and he appears in almost every game after that. In fact, he could be more important than Eggman and Metal Sonic due to him being a second banana and the fact that extra third party characters are common. Him being a spirit doesn't mean anything since every fighter in has a spirit too.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Beat
From Jet Set Radio

Why does it have to be a Sonic Rep HUH!?! Have anything against regular SEGA, DOES IT HAVE TO BE ANOTHER SONIC REP!?!?!?! AGHDUILASGDYAJSFDGWRFTGWSF^YFTGWMYFEFERWTFWIG

I get that, there are plenty of non-Sonic Sega characters I love, like the Bonanza Bros. and Dynamite Headdy - that being said, Sonic is one of the most iconic video game franchises in history, probably the 3rd behind Mario and Pokemon - so giving it 1 character is a bit of a disservice in my eyes.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Knuckles.

The OG Rival and the one that could most effectively echo Sonic (outside Shadow, but I'm not a fan of him)

Goesul

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gamejutsu
Beat
From Jet Set Radio

Bayonetta and Joker are SEGA owned technically. And that's the reason why I think the Smash devs don't feel like adding more Sonic characters. They probably think that 3 SEGA characters is already too much. If they add another, that will be 4 SEGA reps in Smash.
So in other words, in Ultimate, they probably decided that it's better to have a variety of SEGA characters, than having like 3 Sonic characters. They think Sonic himself is enough of a rep for the Sonic series. You could argue that this method is really not giving Sonic justice, but I can see where they're coming from.

Shadow would have been so awesome to have, but here we are. No new SEGA reps in the base roster. And it's extreeeeeeemly unlikely we'll get a second SEGA rep in the same line of DLC. And there will probably be no such thing as "waves" of DLC. So with that, all avenues of speculation in these regards are void. No other Sonic characters will be in Ultimate ; _ ; For that, we can only look to the next game. And if there is a next game, it will probably have the same time gap as there was between Melee-Brawl, or Brawl-Smash 4

Last edited:

droid43

Smash Rookie
Mighty quickly rivaled Sonic as my favorite character from the series. He would be a blast to play with in Smash.

I envision Mighty to be a heavier, slower echo fighter with super armor available due to his shell. The slam attack would be fun to work with and could even provide a few frames of knock back a la King DDD or DK's down special.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
Shadow or Silver of course! :D if Scourge was a character from the games he would had been a great echo fighter! :o

Reptillicus

Smash Rookie
Shadow as a semi clone. his up-B would be a teleport down B-chaos spear a few different tilts and Bam, easiest thing in the world if you ask me.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Of course I would like a 2nd Sonic character!

Now in the past, I supported Shadow because he’d be an echo to Sonic (in the same vein as Chrom is to Roy) having Teleport instead of Spring which is great.

But one grinch leak later and the moment has passed. I don’t believe ATs will be playable this game, which leads me to support anothe character now.

There’s two ways about it for me.

Tails:
being the trusty sidekick that he’s been since 1993, basically Sonic’s Luigi.
As far as move set goes, he’d pull an Isabelle if you ask me.

Up+B should have him use his tails as propellers to fly. He’d deal minor damage just like K.Rool’s Up+B.

Side+B, just like Sonic has 2 spinning attacks, Tails should have 2 flying moves. This one would propel Tails forward, and on contact with opponent you enter the same Up+B mode, except you get to carry your opponent anywhere you want until a) he gets tired of b) opponent mashes out (which will be equally as hard as to mash out of Yoshi’s neutral B).

Down+B spin dash

B: Tail attacks: Spins around horizontally using tails as whips. Can be done in place or carrying momentum. (Sonic Adventure 1).

Metal Sonic:
I wasn’t too pro-villains. But I admit I’m opening up to the idea, and In starting to like it.
However, I still want the 2nd Sonic character to encompass the blistering speeds of the Sonic series, and Eggman doesn’t do it for me. I mean, he would have made a terrific WoL boss!

But Metal Sonic fills both quota for me, fast-paced character + recognizeable villain. And he’s been around since 1992.

Although they could be lazy and just make him a Sonic echo, a good Metal Sonic has a lot more to offer.

He could attach with his claws, and for a Fsmash attsck deal a deadly laser finger thrust.
Metal Sonic’s fighting style is just brutal in Sonic the Fighters.

But as far as specials go:
B: Homing Attack (needs to have at least one Sonic move) (Sonic 4, Adventure DX)

Up+B: Black shield. Essentially what you get if you fuse Zelda’s B with Wario’s Up+B (Adventure 2)

Side+B: Forcefield boost, exactly like Flate Blitz except you can slightly rise or descend in mid trajectory. (Trademark move from CD, Mania, Gens, etc)

Down+B: Energy beam (Generations)
Metal Sonic leaps in the air and performs a powerful electrical beam downwards. The beam deals a good amount of damage and can spike. If targeted st the floor, opponents standing nearby will get stunned.
Metal Sonic drops back down in helpless state (like after Flare Blitz as well).

Metal Sonic has been among my top 3 favorite Sonic characters since I first saw his debut. He clashes with Knuckles and Fang a lot, but he’s always been among my favorites, as a Sonic character and as a villain.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Eggman. He has potential for a great moveset and would probably pull off the Mech Archtype that Bowser Jr. fails horribly at. Eggman is the second most important character behind Sonic himself. He's probably just as important even. You can't really have a Sonic game without him, and I can't think of one that he doesn't play a large role in, other than Sonic Heroes where Neo Metal Sonic is pretending to be Eggman through the whole game. I like Tails, but he feels extremely bland in comparison to Eggman or even a unique Shadow moveset. He's even more like Sonic than Shadow is moveset wise.

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Knuckles would easily be my first choice. A heavy hitter with some unique movement options, he'd offer a different spin to his character archetype within Smash. It is too bad they made him an assist trophy but that doesn't mean they couldn't just not allow his assist trophy to appear when he is being played.

There are at least three other characters that I'd like to see from the Sonic games.
To get the obvious one out of the way, Tails. He could be a pretty fun fighter and I'd enjoy him almost as much as Knuckles!
Next would be Mighty. He'd make an excellent 'clone' character to Sonic (like comparing Villager to Isabelle). He could have various attacks or hurtboxes with armor or damage reduction and he'd overall be a heavier and slower Sonic but heftier attacks to boot. Would be a ton of fun!
Last would be Silver. Reason being, I think he'd actually be quite a fun and unique fighter as he makes use of his telekinesis.

NileFRFX

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 6538 5708 0975
Well, as my pfp clearly shows, I would choose Silver the Hedgehog
I know he is almost impossible, but he still is and will be my favorite character ever, and my dream character

He has an incredible moveset potencial with proyectile and psychic moves from both 06 and Sonic Generations, plus, he is not that "unknown" as a character

Anyway, I just want my boy to be in Smash, he's the only character I would drop Sonic for

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Just wanted to do an another Sonic rep, this time it's the G.U.N Truck itself. (Don't ask why but would be hilarious.)
Here's my moveset for the truck below.
Neutral: Sawblades
Side: Truck Ram
Up: Rocket Boosters
Down: Semi Trailer Spin
Final Smash: Mad Convoy Race (Chasing the fighters down in City Escape before running them over.)
Some of the normal attacks invole G.U.N soldiers popping out of the windows firing weapons at other opponents and the grabs done by ramming into others, using sawblades to attack and using the truck's momentum to throw the opponent it was holding.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Probably E-102 γ. I'd also like Metal Sonic and Robotnik to be in it.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Eggman. Knux, Tails, and Shadow would be great, but they'd likely be brawlers. Which is fun and there's nothing wrong with that. But Eggman? The guy could be a super heavy with a float via the Eggmobile, having projectiles, traps, and giant wrecking ball that could kill dummy early. They could keep it balanced by having the Eggmobile fall apart if it takes too much damage, then Eggman has to go without it for maybe ten seconds or so, during which time, he's a lackluster character. Eggmobile respawning would have invul frames like Arsene spawning does. Much more interesting moveset potential than the other potential Sonic characters, imo

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I want Shadow the most as he has so much potential for a moveset he wouldn't have to share one of Sonic's moves (though since they're so similar they probably would). He also has one of the best characterizations in the history of the series, in my opinion trailing right behind Sonic, Eggman and Silver (my personal favorite). He's not very likley for this pass, but I can see it happening in Smash 6.
Eggman is most likely though and a close second want for me. He would be great to have in Smash, FP2 I think gives him a good chance considering Sonic's anniversary is next year.
For after the 2nd rep? Probably one other character of the five who wasn't already chosen, and for a fourth, I want Silver or Blaze. They both have insane moveset potential and are fan favorites, but neither really have much significance to the main plotlines outside of the games they star in (06, Rush, Rush Adventure). Personally I'd go with Silver since he's my favorite :p

Top Bottom