• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you could change any character's default costume, what would it be?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
All the Zelda cast would be based on their Hyrule Warriors designs.
Ganondorf looks like a beast, Link still keeps his classic tunic with a dash of BotW blue with the scarf and Zelda actually looks battle ready.

:ultpokemontrainer: would keep as he is, but I really think they missed a trick to not have Ethan, Brendan and Hilbert as alts.
:ultpokemontrainerf: would keep as she is, but I think they missed a trick to not have May, Serena and Dawn as alts.
:ultsquirtle: with the Squirtle Squad sunglasses as default for either :ultpokemontrainer: or :ultpokemontrainerf:.

:ultpeach: Should have had Perry instead of that pink umbrella. It's pretty disappointing Peach doesn't get any reference to her own game at all in her Smash appearance.

:ultbowserjr: Wearing his bandana over his face to try and look intimidating.

:ultcorrin: to :ultcorrinf:. Fire Emblem Warriors has just made me think Corrin's default should be the female to balance Robin's male as the default.

:ulthero: to Eight. Just personal preference.

:ultdaisy: to her sports gear. Yes, none of her moves would make sense, but they don't really at current anyway. She's never been shown to have Peach's floating ability before and she's certainly not in charge of the Toad population. Screw it at this point, might as well get even more weird with her.

:ultluigi:Just visably carrying the poltergust on his back at all times.

:ultmario: Strong agree about making Cappy more visable.

:ultpit: Classic Pit. I feel like I'm in the minority that prefered his original design to Sakurai's one.

:ultridley: To have the face of Brawl's boss. Just a better design IMO.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
:ultwario: - I'd switch is plumber getup to his default and make Warioware his alt, just makes more sense to me. *shrug*

That's really all.
This all day man. Shouts out to PM♡.

I would love if Young Link had a combination of Hylian and Mirror Shield skins. Don't think anyone would really miss the Deku Shield since we have OoT Ganon. I would probably have Link's Tunic be his initial costume as well.

I wish Ridley's design took more inspiration from Brawl. I miss his crazy bugeyes. Dude looks a little less alien and a little more dragon-like in my opinion.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
:ultcloud: - I would make Advent Children Cloud the default. It’s just such a good design.

:ultroy: - I really wanted to see some Awakening aspects in Roy’s design. Mix Awakening Roy with Smash 4 Roy and you have the perfect fiery boy.

:ultrichter: - Richter being Smash brings me unprecedented joy, but I really wish they had went with Symphony of the Night’s design instead of Ryu Belmont. You could replace the redundant blue color with the Rondo design and maybe replace another with DXC Richter.

:ultwolf: - Just go back to Brawl Wolf. He looks so much better in blue.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
What do you mean, part of her moveset? She didn't have the dumb heels in Brawl and she doesn't need them now. I'd be happy to see them gone.
I meant its literately part of her moveset in this game, like her Up B and Forward Smash. But I would also would prefer them gone, like in Brawl

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
In Majora's Mask, Young Link has a Hylian Shield instead of a Deku Shield. And in some art (albeit for the remake), he even has the Mirror Shield.View attachment 239986View attachment 239988
It looks a bit like it, but it's not really the Hylian schield. In French it was called 'le bouclier du Héros', 'Hero's schield'. Probably because the story takes place in Termina, so when Link looses his shield and has to buy a new one, he couldn't find an item explicitly connected to Hyrule, that would be weird.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Zelda: Bring Back Twilight Princess Zelda.

Ike: Make his RD version his default costume.

Wolf: Make his brown alt be his canon design

Wii Fit Trainer: Remove Male Wii Fit Trainer, whens the last time anyone used him lmao?

Oddball

Smash Lord
Link's default look needs to be in green with a hat. I'm not picky which one, but that's what everybody thinks when they think Link. You can leave his Breath of the Wild as an alt look.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Link's default look needs to be in green with a hat. I'm not picky which one, but that's what everybody thinks when they think Link. You can leave his Breath of the Wild as an alt look.
It would be cool to have that. I can't stand the Hero of the Wild green tunic with his booty shorts. I know it's a reference to the original Link, but I don't like how it looked in BotW or in Smash. I would pay money for alts such as Twilight Link or Ocarina Link.

Roy's design has literally been stated to be a mix of Awakening and his Melee appearence
I thought it was all Awakening, which was a design made specially for that game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd just prefer Link to have his Classic Design for first. I get why, being BOTW focused now.

Other costumes I find fine.

Laniv

Smash Lord
:ulthero: Make Erdrick the default
:ultike: Make Radiant Dawn the default
:ultridley: Make the membranes on his wings orange
:ultwario: Make overalls Wario the default

Ice-N-Space

Smash Apprentice
But if she has the tanooki outfit, she would need the tail and the power-up that goes with it, otherwise that would be weird. And then it's not an alt anymore.
Post said make a default costume not a alt costume plus Peach can already float anyway.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Post said make a default costume not a alt costume plus Peach can already float anyway.
Post said change, not make.

That said, the world won't end because of anything posted here. Interpret it however you like, have fun. My opinion: it would be extremely weird and unfitting for Peach's DEFAULT costume to be anything but her standard pink dress. Alt costumes can be whatever, tanooki included.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
MarioMeteor MarioMeteor

Looking at the three I see him wearing Melee's armor and hair but with Awaking's bandanna, belt, gauntlets, pants color, and torn cape.

1569866035702.png
1569866093737.png
1569866149174.png

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
:ultsamus: prime suit
:ultganondorf: hyrule warriors or go back to twilight princess
:ultzelda: botw or twilight princess, make her albw version the secondary
:ultcorrinf::ultpokemontrainerf::ultrobinf::ultvillagerf: female the default, make the male versions the secondary

Oddball

Smash Lord
Also, as far as Hero goes, I prefer the white and blue Erdrick Armor look, but at least we got that s a Mii costume.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
:ultcorrinf::ultpokemontrainerf::ultrobinf::ultvillagerf: female the default, make the male versions the secondary
Why?

I dunno about the other three, but the male counterpart has more history and prevalence in the Pokemon series. Conversely, the female Inkling appears in more promotional material for Splatoon than her male counterpart, so it makes perfect sense for her to be the default.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
:ultyounglink: Replace the Kokiri Sword and Deku Shield with the Razor Sword and Hero's Shield. That way he can properly represent Majora's Mask.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Majora's Mask is my favorite video game of all time, and I like that Link has the Deku Shield. It's visually obviously different from other Link shields from any distance, unlike the Hero's Shield. It suits Young Link.

The Razor Sword is super cool looking but would look weird because you never use it in Majora's Mask. Like, ever. Anybody. Gilded would be fine and I wouldn't mind YL having a little more range as a result. But I'm also totally fine with Kokiri. Again, it suits him.

Young Link has never really been a Majora representative as he doesn't have anything at all mask-related in his moveset. No Fierce Diety final smash, not even a taunt. Nothing.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Majora's Mask is my favorite video game of all time, and I like that Link has the Deku Shield. It's visually obviously different from other Link shields from any distance, unlike the Hero's Shield. It suits Young Link.

The Razor Sword is super cool looking but would look weird because you never use it in Majora's Mask. Like, ever. Anybody. Gilded would be fine and I wouldn't mind YL having a little more range as a result. But I'm also totally fine with Kokiri. Again, it suits him.

Young Link has never really been a Majora representative as he doesn't have anything at all mask-related in his moveset. No Fierce Diety final smash, not even a taunt. Nothing.
Well, there is the fire arrow and the hookshot that he only uses as a child in Majora... But you're not wrong, and I agree about the uniqueness of the Deku shield. That said, I used the Razor Blade quiete a lot... the very first time I played the game. Give him a Majora costume anyway, AND a Fierce Deity FS !

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The only ones I'd really change are :ultwario: to the classic overalls, :ultcorrin: to :ultcorrinf:, and :ulthero: to Eight (or alternatively Erdrick).

Speaking of which, why don't Erdrick, Eight, and Solo have Smashboard icons when we have other alts like the Koopalings and gendered alts?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The Razor Sword is my preferred MM weapon too. Sadly it breaks after a while.

Yeah, the Fire Arrows kind of count, but only on a technicality. Hookshot otherwise does too, but that's still the OOT design anyway. Young Link(who according to the Trophy is believed to be the one in the first Zelda game. Very questionable if that's just a weird US translation, though) also cannot use a Bow in OOT either. Fire Arrows were just yet another plausible variable change to help separate them a little in abilities. But overall, despite the abilities only being relevant in MM, he still uses OOT assets anyway. My guess is that it's just the clone factor but they possibly took inspiration from MM.

"Link's younger incarnation is often considered to be the true Link: he was a young boy in the very first Legend of Zelda game, and he has appeared as a youth in most of the subsequent games. Since his debut on the original NES in 1987, Link's appearance has changed over and over again, each time adding to the mystique of his incomparable story." is the trophy text. It actually only lists Zelda 1 as his "appearances". I don't have any data on the Japanese version, which might shed some light.

I do agree making him with MM designs would be neat, though~

D

Deleted member

:ulthero: really should be Erdrick. DQ 11 is widely well received and the marketing is sensible, but Erdrick's the dude who pretty much made DQ into what it is today.

Otherwise, I pretty much love all the default designs.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
:ulthero: really should be Erdrick. DQ 11 is widely well received and the marketing is sensible, but Erdrick's the dude who pretty much made DQ into what it is today.

Otherwise, I pretty much love all the default designs.
Don't mention that Erdrick leak before Hero came out.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
:ulthero: to any other Hero, as Eleven is the one I play the least. Still like him though.

:ultcloud: A brighter purplish blue to his default costume, so it looks more like his original PS1 model.

:ultsonic: Classic Sonic. Not that it’s going to happen, but I’d love to see the version that got me into Sonic represented in Smash.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
:ultcorrin: to :ultcorrinf:

The obvious choice.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
:ultyoshi: Get rid of Yarn Yoshi, and bring the black Yoshi palette back.

:ultzelda: Looks like a little girl. Bring back that strong, tough Twilight Princess appearance from Brawl.

:ultgnw: Ugly colours. Why is there no bright cyan palette anymore? It was his best one. Take any of the three varying green/yellow palettes and put this one in.

:ultfox: Melee Fox.

:ultkirby: His last alt is grey, not white like in Melee. I want Ghost Kirby back.

:ultcloud: His costumes are really boring. At least give us a spicy palette.

:ultwiifittrainer: Remove male and give us more colours. Green is good and all but I wanted like...orange, cyan, purple, burgundy, turquoise. Unique colours.

:ultwolf: Brawl Wolf.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
:ultzelda:: I would give Zelda her Skyward Sword attire as her default.

:ultlink:: I would give Link his Ocarina of Time attire as his default.

:ultganondorf:: It would still be his Ocarina of Time attire, but I would give him longer hair as he did have longer hair in his battle with Adult Link in Ocarina of Time.

:ultwario:: I would Switch his Warioware attire with his Wario Land attire as his default alt and make the Warioware attire his alternate alt instead.

:ultsheik:: I would give Sheik her Ocarina of Time attire as her default. Basically it's pretty much the same except without the ponytail.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Give Wolf his brown leather jacket alt as his main costume, and swap the current default, purple costume to an alt. This would put his appearance closer in line to how he looked in all of his most recent appearances in Star Fox Zero and Starlink, as well as Star Fox 64. Not sure why they basically made Fox and Falco look almost identical to their newest main series game, but took such creative liberties on Wolf's costume.

link2702

Smash Champion
I’d simply make link’s default his classic armor set.

Although botw is amazing, and I know why they went with his hero shirt or w/e it’s called since it is iconic...for botw..., something that is FAR more iconic is his original green tunic and hat. Link simply doesn’t quite feel like link if he’s not wearing those.

Top Bottom