• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you could change any character's default costume, what would it be?

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
So, originally this thread was going to be called "if you could give each series the "Zelda treatment" which costumes would you pick", but then that would leave the series with only one character out in the cold.

So basically the premise is that you change their default look to be anything other than their most recent and up to date look, but the rule is that it has to be the default look from another game, this isn't an alternate costume thread, so nothing like the shirt and shades from Mario Sunshine. Preferably, if you do this to one character, you do it to the rest of the characters from that series. And to keep things interesting, you can include newcomers you want.

If you can't stomach the idea of the characters in a series not having a uniform look, or their up to date design, then just pretend your picking an alt.
Just don't list a character at all if you wouldn't change them.

Hard mode: You can't leave any characters using their look from the same game.

Right then, i'll start with my own picks.

Luigi - Mario & Luigi, with the red and white striped socks
Peach - Super Princess Peach, with Perry as her umbrella
Bowser - Early Super Mario 64 renders, always loved his golden muzzle and red-orange body.
Yoshi - Yoshi's Island, I never really liked his design from Yoshi Story onward

Kirby - Superstar style, with the smaller eyes and the little red lines on his cheeks instead of the ovals
King Dedede - Kirby 64 style

Fox - Star Fox Adventures style
Wolf - honestly I'd just go back to how he looked in Brawl, they nailed it.

Pokemon Trainer - Based on the actual gen 1 instead of Fire Red
Pikachu - Base it on the official artwork where Pikachu has that super round head, instead of the anime. It's weird how most in game models of Pikachu look like the anime pikachu, but the official art gives it that round head or makes it fat like the old days.

Link - Honestly, if it were up to me, he'd be based on classic Link, like the skin from Hyrule Warriors, but I get why it's BOTW Link.
Shiek - Shoulda kept her Twilight Princess Style imo, since TP is no longer represented on the roster.
Young Link - Majora's Mask style sword and shield, kinda weird that they didn't do this to begin with

Snake - Metal Gear Solid 1 sneaking suit
Sonic - I want those SOAP shoes

EDIT: This was meant to be posted in general discussion, oops. I have too many tabs open.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I just want bearded Ganondorf back. I really don't care for the OoT design for him.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Change Villager's design to the taller New Leaf version. The City Folk design makes them look too pudgy.
This. I'm baffled as to why Villager hasn't been updated to his new design that has been used for New Leaf, Amiibo Festival, Happy Home Designer, Pocket Camp, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, especially when he's being contrasted with Isabelle. Plus him and the girl version are cuter in those games. All of his alts are hideous.

Also:
  • Ness with purple instead of blue
  • Wolf with red jacket
  • Mega Man 11 inspired Mega Man
  • Classic King K. Rool design

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm so glad you're not in charge, most of your ideas would have really annoyed me.

Only things I'd change are maybe let Link keep green as default

And Maybe let Samus have a different Varia suit, Prime or Samus Returns.

Although I do agree with Young Link

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
This. I'm baffled as to why Villager hasn't been updated to his new design that has been used for New Leaf, Amiibo Festival, Happy Home Designer, Pocket Camp, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, especially when he's being contrasted with Isabelle. Plus him and the girl version are cuter in those games. All of his alts are hideous.

Also:
  • Ness with purple instead of blue
  • Wolf with red jacket
  • Mega Man 11 inspired Mega Man
  • Classic King K. Rool design
Yeah, those are literally all the most recent games and we're still stuck on a design from 10 years old just because that's what Smash 4 had. The City Folk design makes Villager look like they're hardly even 10 years old. If we're supposed to believe that they're old enough to move to a new town and live in their own place, the New Leaf look makes that more believable.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
:ultwario: - I'd switch his plumber getup to his default and make Warioware his alt, just makes more sense to me. *shrug*

That's really all.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Aside from making Female Corrin the default Corrin, I'd make Hooded Robin the default Robin, with him unhooded as his other 4 alt costumes.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I would personally make:
-Female Corrin the default Corrin (I think people recognize it more)
-Radiant Dawn Ike the default Ike (looks wayyyyyyyyyyy cooler IMO)
-Famicom R.O.B. the default R.O.B. across all regions (instead of sometimes NES R.O.B. being the default)

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Why is this in Newcomer Speculation instead of General Discussion?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Link: Tunic of the Wild
Wario: Yellow and purple regular outfit
Ike: Radiant Dawn as regular

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'd love for Ganondorf to have his Hyrule Warriors look as his Smash Default honestly. It's a design I like a lot.
I didn't even think of that one. I change my wish to that design. He looks so tough and menacing in Warriors.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Here's mine for my pretend game Smash Bros. Eternity:
-Ganon get's his CD-I design from Faces of Evil
-Wario has his yellow and purple overalls as default (With his new move-set from Wario Land series)
-I agree with Villager's taller version from New Leaf
-Bowser with his wedding tuxedo
-Cube Kirby (From April Fools)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
:ultcorrinf:- Female Corrin is pretty much treated as default option now.
:ultike:- Path of Radiance version is good but I feel like his older design better sets him apart.
:ultgunner:- New one is cool, but I'd give her back her old hair color, just a nitpick.
:ultbayonetta1:- I like her new design better but the classic one is everywhere and more iconic, it easily can be default.

I'm fine with pretty much all defaults, though.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Well, not Wario - duh, Biker for life.

with that aside, Villager's female alt, not only because of bias but also because AC has always been marketed by Nintendo prominently to a female audience

a sort of amalgamation of Ness' US and JP designs, the proportions of the JP design, but the colours, hat, hair and eyebrows of the US design

I'm in the minority on this one, but Mr. Game and Watch should have eyes for all animations - it'd be more accurate.

swap PP's pipe and pot alts - not colour wise, just design wise.

EDIT: somehow forgot Classic Sonic

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
WW Ganondorf is my favourite version, but he wouldn't work with Ganondorf's existing attack animations
I'd like ROB to have the famicom design as default in all regions
I want Young Link to take his Majora's Mask look: they're small differences, but I don't like how he has the Korkiri sword/Deku shield
Finally, I like Villager as is: maybe it's just nostalgia, but I prefer the shorter model

newsuperhackboys

Smash Cadet
:ultcorrinf:: As you see on the left, she would use her female costume at default.
:ultdaisy:: Would use her Tank Top she wears in the sports games.
:ultbowserjr:: Would wear his bandanna at all times.
:ultvillager:: Would use their designs from Mario Kart 8 (and yes, I know that's not where the design originated but that's the easiest one I can point to).

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
i agree that plumber wario and female corrin should be the defaults, idk other than that, maybe classic sonic

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
:ultcorrinf: - a better design and more acceptable default character
:ultwolf:- give him his Assault design. That one was perfect imo
:ultpikachu:- less of the round cheeks on him. Anyone noticed that every Smash game, his cheeks get bigger? It feels funny for me
:ultfox: - Melee design. ****ing best of the series and Brawl made me felt slapped in the face
:ultfalco: - See Fox
:ultbowserjr:- Add the bandanna on him

UserKev

Smash Champion
Can Peach please have her ponytail? It doesn't even need to be default.
Little Mac's pink sweat suit would be his default.
Fox's would keep his Melee default.
Yellow and purple jumper Wario.

TennisBall

Smash Journeyman
:ultganondorf:-Hyrule Warriors design
:ultsamus:-Power Suit
:ulttoonlink:-Design at the beginning of Wind Waker, maybe not his default, but you know
:ultbowser:-Needs to look more like his cartoony Mario design, I love Bowser, but he's got more personality that what he currently has.
:ultmario:-Cappy should be more visible. Not changing anything, just a little bit more flare.

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
Wario's default changing to his overalls would make him more consistent with Mario, Luigi, and hypothetically Waluigi if Sakurai decides to throw him a bone.
Link using his blue tunic makes sense this time around, but I would change his default back to his green tunic in the next game.
Dr Mario has the wrong color pants in all his Smash appearances.
Agree with Female Corrin and New Leaf Villager.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
:ultmetaknight:-Fat obese version of himself
:ultmario:-Boxer Shorts (Bonus points if there's a cowboy hat.)
:ultridley:-Omega or either his appearance in Brawl
:ultolimar:-Louie (or either an echo)
:ultkirby:-Kirb (Meme)
:ultyoshi:-Fat Yosh (Meme)
:ultkingdedede:-Handsome Dedede (From the episode Cartoon Buffoon, Right back at ya.)

Last edited:

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
:ultcorrinf: Female
:ultganondorf: Hyrule Warriors
:ultlink: Hyrule Warriors
:ultike: Radiant Dawn
:ultdarksamus:Metroid Prime 2
:ultwario: Overalls
:ultzss: I know its part of her move set, but I hate the shoes

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
:ultlink:-Oracle/Link's Awakening, or Link to the Past
:ultsamus:-Samus Returns (2017)
:ultluigi:-Same, but with the red socks from Mario & Luigi
:ultdoc:-An semi-open white shirt with a black undershirt and a tie (think of Dr. Wily's design from MM11)
:ultmarth:-A mix between Awakening and Mystery of the Emblem
:ultyounglink:-Majora's Mask
:ultganondorf:-Hyrule Warriors
:ultpokemontrainer:-Closer to Gen 1, somewhat like Pokémon Masters
:ultkingdedede:-A slight hint of Kirby 64
:ultrob:-Famicom design (I like that a bit more)
:ultwolf:-Maybe...Starlink?
:ultvillager::ultvillagerf:-New Leaf, with the City Folk ones as alts

Minor changes:
:ultmario:-Cappy as a more prominent visual detail

Last edited:
Top Bottom