• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you could be any Fantasy RPG class, what would it be?

Cool Trainer Ace

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bleechwiiID
A pretty straightforward question. Nothing is off limits, but if you want to be a specific class from a certain game, make sure to include the name of the game. For fun, list the weapons and spells you would have on you for battle.

For me, I would be a Red Mage.

The red mage is proficient in both healing and damaging magic, making him a very strong ally early game, but not as great late game (in some of his iterations, such as FF1, not sure about his other versions). I would have the classic red mage outfit complete with cape, hat, white pants, and black gloves and boots. I would carry a gilded rapier as a melee weapon, and would have a few basic healing spells, a fire spell, lightning spell, and ice spell to round out elemental coverage. My original choice for a class was cleric until I realized that I prefer a much more aggressive supportive play style: doing damage until a party member needs healing, healing them up, then continuing to deal damage.

So, what class are you?

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Interesting. I've been playing quite a bit of Explorers lately and found myself leaning towards two classes: Black Mage and Machinist.

Black Mage tends to be super strong with the wide variety of high-grade offensive magic, causing elemental explosions everywhere he walks. Firaga, Thundaga and Blizzaga are my mainstays, along with some ailment spells (such as Bio) and Drain spells. The Black Mage outfit might be more iconic, but the Reaper garb looks much more menacing (and has higher Magic buffs). And my weapon is the Stardust Rod, a light-empowered rod crafted in the shape of a falling meteor.

Machinist comes in two flavors, the "gunslinger" type (can unleash barrages of bullets and dual-wield firearms) and the "heavy gunner" type (utilizes artillery for more explosive attacks). Both have their advantages, but the madman in me will side with the heavy artillery. My usual methods would involve raining meteors on targets (Cosmic Dust), launching piercing shells (Buster Cannon), unleashing hailstorms of powerful bullets (Rapid Fire), and dragging my targets to another dimension (Black Hole). Of course, all of that firepower takes time to wield, so it's best to have some evasive maneuvers in the mix like Haste, Invisibility and the like. My attire would be the Machinist's Teknical outfit to maximize efficiency and provide mobility boosts. My weapon of choice would have to be the Railgun, which charges up its shells with lightning as well as the wielder, granting even more movement speed.

Between the two, I'd have to go with Machinist. Guns and explosions for days. And longer, more potent Trances. There's that too.

Ten of Nine

Smash Apprentice
I really like almost all the classes from the FFT universe -

Red Mages are great balanced spellswords
Animists are like OP black mage white mage hybrids
Blue Mages are always the coolest and most versatile mages. Always have high stats and learning enemy spells is just a great mechanic.
Any Paladin type knights that use Holy attacks and auras. The Diablo 2 Paladin is especially interesting.

But......

I'd have to go with Time Mage, if you control time you basically have no equal aside from another time mage.

Last edited:

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Wow. This is actually a pretty tough question. I have a affliction for the lancer (any RPG class that uses a spear), dark mage (specifically FE shaman) and martial artist (used to do martial arts). I find dark magic the most fascinating. But if I'm in a scenario where I have to make myself a generic with these three options, I'd probably have to choose lancer.

Spears are my most favorite weapons out of all weapon types. I preferred them over swords day one and I always prefer being a warrior instead of a mage of any kind. Plus, my #1 favorite character uses a spear, so there's that too.

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
Fire Emblem Myrmidon, definitely. I would be sure to reclass for a bit to gain the Sol skill, and the other four skills I'd focus on would be Vantage, avoid +10, Swordfaire, and Swordbreaker. I'm a sucker for swords

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Whenever I play an RPG, I always find myself gravitating towards the Hunter/Ranger class type first, so I guess that?

Though I do always end up branching out to other classes once I get a better feel for the game.

Last edited:

McChicken

Smash Rookie
I think I'd want to be a mage. Because magic is really strong and cool. Just think of all the possibilities. Especially fire mages, although ice is pretty nice too. I could also imagine being a warlock. I'm probably fine with any kind of magicy magic stuff. Yeah, I think being a shaman would be cool too.
I'll have to change my answer from mage to any magic person.

Jaruto

Smash Cadet
NNID
JarutoATD
Probably Some sort of support class, most likely a cleric from Fire Emblem for me. I don't like to be the center of attention to much

BagrB0y

Smash Cadet
Dwarf Paladin or Orc Berserker, probably- For MT or a secondary tank respectively.
Just what I generally end up going when I Play DnD and such with friends that are new since they don't understand aggro mechanics.
That and being a tank isn't very roll dependant, so even if I am having a bad day and I roll a 1 you are generally safe as a MT compared to other classes.

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Tactician: I'm pretty decisive and have good critical thinking skills and have a good sense of judgment. Probably the tactician class from Fire Emblem.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I would be a bard. I love singing, I come from a family of singers, and I've sung most all of my life. I also aspire to pick up some instruments someday, hoping one day to learn the piano, and the far more portable guitar, to fill the traveling lute bard archetype. To travel the world bringing mirth and music to everyone I come across (and in a fantasy giving mad healing and buffs) would be pretty magical and awesome.

I also like to think I have a sharp wit and humour, and I like the bard sterotype of being a jack of all trades, master of none. Being really good at something is neat, but I'm super interesting in people who are pretty good at a whole lot of things. That's actually a good question on it's own: Is it better to be exceedingly good at a few things, or decently good at a lot of different things?

Basically, strumming, singing, and straggling would fit me perfectly, so I'd be a bard.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Depends on what abilities I have.

It would be WoW style or ES style rogue/thief or ninja if I had access to all the stealth abilities. But if we’re talking like old ff era only style rpgs, where the thief/rogue doesn’t really have any sort of stealth ability to turn themselves practically invisible and are more about blinding speed attacs and pickpocketing and lock picking, then no, i’d probably go with the op and be a red mage, or possibly a black mage.

Last edited:

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
It's always going to be a magic user of some sort. Alchemist in Dokapon Kingdom, Jedi Master in KOTOR 2, Wizard in Gauntlet: Dark Legacy---I don't play anything else. No rogue, no warrior---all mage. I don't play pathfinder, but I was eyeing Lore Oracle when considering it. I like having some other sort of skill, I guess.

1501362579043.jpg

It's interesting that I don't play magicians in fighting games though. I'm more of a rushdown kind of guy somehow, so magic typically being zoning focused doesn't compel me to play them.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Monk.

I just wanna punch stuff in the face, man.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I love rpg classes.
At this point I tend towards jacks-of-all-trades, unless they're too weak. I like to have a little bit of everything if I can. Minstrel in dragon quest is kind of like that. Not very strong though. Armamentalist is very interesting, stronger and uses buffing and debuffing magic. No healing though.

If it's turn-based I might have to go with..
Paladin
because I get strength, defense, and a little bit of everything, at least in some games. or Blue mage, they usually have really good spells and all around good.

But else usually I tend towards faster characters, so it could be Monk too (when they have healing), or Ninja if evasion is really good.

I love the question, but I can't think of only class that has everything I like :p

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Well, from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, I'd go for a mage, although being a thief would be nice. I'd probably choose an Argonian for a blend of thievery and stealth, including Muffle and Invisibility.

paintbucket

Smash Rookie
Probably a Red Mage, although honestly If anything I think being some sort of Summoner class would be awesome.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Healer or one of those classes that are usually called paladin or templar, where they're tanks that focus on self-sufficiency and self-buffing/healing, but might also be useful for the whole team/party.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I've never been into any RPGs really, but if there is a class that has some sort of power over time, that would be for me.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Definitly a White Mage Elf (because long Life) i want to heal its probably less Traumatizing then killing cute Slimes i couldnt do it!

TheExSaltedOne

Smash Rookie
Dread Fighter from FE13 with the sword/axe/tome combo. The mask and the gear are sick plus the class is broken and kinda patches up poor resistance

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I try to remember when I'm not a Cleric. But then I remember it's the class I like the most. I like to help others. So healing works.

Bard otherwise, cause I'm a boatload of information~

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I try to remember when I'm not a Cleric. But then I remember it's the class I like the most. I like to help others. So healing works.

Bard otherwise, cause I'm a boatload of information~
Normaly im a Red or Black mage but if i actually am a Classs in Real Life then of course i want to be a White Mage/cleric i mean what if my Group Fights Soldiers of the Evil Empire i dont want to kill Humans and Slimes and other cute Monsters i probably could only fight to the death with Completly unredeemable Villans that are born Evil
But healing my allies so that the world gets saved im fine with That

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Normaly im a Red or Black mage but if i actually am a Classs in Real Life then of course i want to be a White Mage/cleric i mean what if my Group Fights Soldiers of the Evil Empire i dont want to kill Humans and Slimes and other cute Monsters i probably could only fight to the death with Completly unredeemable Villans that are born Evil
But healing my allies so that the world gets saved im fine with That
Hilariously 9 times out of 10 my Clerics do the worst healing or are the most useless party member. I'm in a campaign right now where my character can barely do anything without being put to 0 HP yet is still the funniest character. But that's cause he's a super optimistic guy who likes Undead in general, and sees everyone as possible to be good or evil, not understanding some are mindless.

Cleric. I think I could be a valuable member of my team without having to be right in the face of danger.
I've seen lots of battle clerics. In a different campaign from the one I mentioned, our cleric was super battle ready. I played the Barbarian... with a strength of 10, who has the worst AC but somehow never got hit, and couldn't hit anything. He was able to pull people out from spike pits either way thanks to Rage, and was more or less a type of HP sponge and cared a lot about his team.

I think that's what makes it most fun. Not just "battle only", but cool ways you can make the team work out.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I tend to like combinations where i can do decent but also be a sub healer. Not the main one, but a helper for that on the side.

Top Bottom