• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If we were to have a 2nd FF character, who would you like to have?

Who is your character of choice?

• Total voters

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Although unlikely seeing as how Final Fantasy is being handled in Smash, if we did end up with a 2nd one, who would you rather see?
Edit: Added Sephiroth, Black Mage(I added Vivi there as well) and Other options.

Last edited:

startmirca

Smash Rookie
I would like to see Noctis for the following reasons:

- I enjoyed the character (he’s not a brooding teenager despite what others may think)
-He brings awesome moveset potential with him (Armiger, Warp-Strikes and Elemancy are pretty much guaranteed to make him unique and stand out from the sword users in this game)
- Yoko Shimomura did an awesome job with the OST (APOCALYPSIS NOCTIS and Veiled in Black are my faves)
-Awesome alt costume potential (especially with Kingly Raiment and his older self)
-Ray Chase is an awesome voice actor and seeing him fight Roy (since Ray is likely to voice him) would be fun

I would like to see Bartz if I can't have Noct then, Bartz would be great with the job system.

I would be hyped to see him but I shouldn’t expect a 2nd FF character anyways.

Last edited:

Graf von Tirol

Smash Cadet
There's two that I would realistically see playable: The Black Mage (of the Light Warriors, heck to most non-Cloud FF protagonists, this is one of the first to come to mind) and Terra (reflecting FFVI's massive success when it was initially released in Japan; it took until VII for the series to really catch on in the US, but she's well-regarded here too these days)

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
>no ramza

The man throws pebbles at people and yells a lot.
How could you not like him?

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
Why no villain options? Surely Sephiroth deserves to be an option on the poll.

Obvs voted for Terra because FF6 is the best, but still.

StormC

Smash Hero
Zidane is my favorite FF protag, but it should probably be Terra, objectively speaking... although I feel like Kefka is more iconic than Terra.

Oddball

Smash Lord
In order of preference ...

1. Cecil ... while I admit He's not the best choice for a rep, he's my favorite choice. I have very fond memroies of Final Fantasy IV back when it was still Final Fantasy 2.

2. Terra ... much like Cecil, she represents the classic era of Final Fantasy and is honestly a better design with more move potential... I'm just not as attached to the character.

3. Black Mage ... it's harder to get more Final Fantasy than a Black Mage. He gets knocked down a few points for not being a actual character but a class, still he's more iconic than pretty much any of the people on this list and would fit well into Smash's lineup.

4. Yuna. Not exactly a favorite character of mine, but plenty of move potential and an interesting look. Ideally she'd draw on moves from both X and X-2.

5. Squall. While I hated a LOT about FF8, there was still something likeable about it's cast and Squall has a nice sturdy design to him and an interesting weapon.

6. Zidane is fun. Really fun and possibly one of the best main heroes Final Fantasy ever did. He's just lacking a bit in the iconic status.

7. Warrior of Light ... if you mean the big point helmet redesign Final Fantasy hero, then No. He doesn't belong on the list at all. If you mean the red Fighter character, he could be decent, even though he's rather generic.

8. Sephiroth just really doesn't seem like he'd fit into the series at all. He almost feels like the exact opposite of what a Nintendo character would be. He ranks eighth place because everybody lower on the list I either dislike or just don't care about.

9. Onion Knight. Cute but bland.

10. Bartz. Bland without the cute.

11. Vaan .... anime Aladdin here didn't even belong in his own game. He really doesn't belong in a collection of all stars.

12. Noctis. I have no opinons whatsoever about Noctis.

13. Lightning. She always struck me as Square trying a bit too hard and not coming up with anything interesting.

14. Tidus. Winner of the MOST Annoying RPG hero ever award and still the character I use as an example when i talk about poorly designed JRPG characters. There's not even names for the stuff he's wearing. Seriously. Try describing his outfit. A quarter of a hoodie with rubber overallcorset and detachbale shorts leg lenghtiner?

15. Firion exists.... and that about all you can say about the guy.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Black Mage might be the best choice but I chose Terra because she can transform and reps the best of Final Fantasy on Nintendo. I wouldn't mind Zidane though since he would play pretty similar.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Among that list I find Cecil the most interesting and Noctis the most likely due to being the most recent protagonist, but I'd go the mascot route and vote for either Moogle, Chocobo or dare I say both as 1 character. Why? Because I'd find it unexpected yet possible at the same time.

000000.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Tifa. For two very big reasons.

She's badass and would fit nicely in a fighter like Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Chocobo if Mario’s stead can be playable so can Clouds.

Now I’m going write a draft for an Epona support thread

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I can't believe no one has mentioned Zack yet. He seems like the ideal Cloud echo.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Terra! Final Fantasy VI is the most popular and most praised of the Nintendo Final Fantasy games and it's considered one of the greatest in the entire series alongside VII. Also, Terra as a female character and a dedicated magic user complements Cloud really well.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
I absolutely don’t want another as geno is my pick, but if he just doesn’t make it then I’d rather it be someone who made their start on Nintendo, so black mage, cecil, or terra.

As much as tidus and zidane are my favorite ff characters, I just can’t support them getting in over the others.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I think i'd want something broad that can represent several games like a Moogle or a Chocobo from mystery dungeon, or even a Black Mage ( with a Vivi alt ).

slambros

Smash Ace
I voted for Zidane, just to be different.

If I didn't have an overwhelming desire to vote for someone that was one of the choices on the survey, I would've voted for 'other', not for any protagonist, but for the Cactuar enemy. It'd be fun to play Smash Bros as a cactus.

:131:

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Black Mage. Iconic, fun, Nintendo ties, represents classic FF, and could have a Vivi alt.

Personal non-Black Mage preference would be Terra or Squall, but Zack, Tifa, or Sephiroth would also be welcome additions.

Last edited:

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
I think it would be a good idea to separate Black Mage and Vivi on the poll. Even though they both are actual Black Mages, the two are not the same characters. Black Mage is probably more known to the smash community with him being playable in SSF2, but I'm going to have to say that Vivi is the more fitting choice to be for Smash.

Plus Square has been adding him in other FF related games over the years, and he'll be coming to Dissidia NT in the future so it looks like Vivi is the more preferred and iconic Black Mage from Square. A Black Mage alt color would be nice to see for Vivi though.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don’t think we would ever get a generic Black Mage, just like we wouldn’t get a generic White Mage, Black Belt, or Thief. It would either be Vivi to represent the archetype and design, or Warrior of Light to represent FFI.

Swade

Smash Apprentice
Aww, I don't see Sir Auron on this list, dude's my favorite FF character.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Tifa, Zack or Sephiroth makes the most sense.

Tifa: Because she's the second face of Final Fantasy after Cloud
Zack: Work perfectly as an echo for Cloud
Sephiroth: He's the most recognizable FF villain and arch-nemesis of Cloud

Chrono.

I like Noctis, so him.

After him I'd have to go with Vivi or a Black Mage.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
My vote is for Mog from FF6. He was my favorite from that game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Squall without a doubt. I love the Gunblade.

That said, a Chocobo/Moogle combo would be fun, but so would Black Mage(not necessarily Vivi, but either could work). They're fun secondary options. It would depend entirely upon how you would want to represent FF in general. A specific game's magic/mechanics? Go with Vivi/Squall. Just general magic? Black Mage. Things like dancing/mini-games? Chocobo & Moogle.

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
I voted for Vivi but i also support Kefka,Zidane,Terra,Bartz,Cecil,Squall,Gilgemesh,and Vincent :D

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I originally supported Black Mage as a way to represent the Final Fantasy series in general without showing outright bias to any particular game, buuuuuut :ultcloud: pretty much threw that out the window, so...

I gotta go for my girl Terra. Truth be told, she was always my preferred FF rep, and I still think she’d make an amazing foil to Cloud in Smash, and not just because of how iconic their games are.

Plus with Terra, I would also want to see Kefka as a Smash boss.

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
I picked Terra mostly because Final Fantasy VI is the only Final Fantasy game I played. Also, she was apparently considered for Smash 4 at one point which could be revisited again if the smash devs want another ff rep.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I don’t think we would ever get a generic Black Mage, just like we wouldn’t get a generic White Mage, Black Belt, or Thief. It would either be Vivi to represent the archetype and design, or Warrior of Light to represent FFI.
Yeah. A lot of people who aren't familiar with modern Final Fantasy and modern Square Enix aren't aware of how "iconic" Black Mage actually is in the modern era. If anything, it would be Vivi with a Black Mage alt.

Top Bottom