• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If there was a Story Mode like SSE, who would you want to have team up?

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
I didn't see this posted before, so I made a topic about it. One of my favorite things about Brawl was the teams and friendships that grew though the story. Plus, where are you going to see a Pokemon interacting with Solid Snake? Never thought that would happen. Well anyway, who do you want to be paired up and how would you like for their relationship to be?

I'll start with 3 of my own:
  • :ultpokemontrainer::ultness::ultlucas:because the fact that I think The Trainer and Lucas team was awesome and I'd love for him to meet Ness.
  • :ultwiifittrainer::ultwario: because I can see Wii Fit just being angry that Wario doesn't take care of himself and would try to get him to work out instead of eat garlic raw like an apple.
  • :ultduckhunt::ultsonic: because the duck looks a lot like Flippy and I can see Sonic thinking maybe the dog is an enemy?

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
:ultsimon::ultmegaman::ultpit:: Captain N Reunion
:ultsnake::ultcloud::ultrichter:: Playstation 1 Era. I think the trickiest one to get to work is Richter because Snake and Cloud are soldiers.
:ultwolf::ultridley::ultdarksamus:: Space Pirates
:ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultsimon:: These guys at some point have to meet up together. If not :ultbayonetta: then have :ultmario:.
:ultfalcon::ultsonic:: Fastest characters. Plus it'd be interesting to have Sonic race the Blue Falcon.
:ultrobin:ultbayonetta::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultzelda::ultlink:: Magic Users or Medieval Era. :ultganondorf: being the main bad guy of this particular group.
:ultryu::ultlittlemac::ultlucario:: Fighting spirit to the core.

osby

Smash Obsessed
:ultjigglypuff::ultlittlemac:: Best air fighter and best ground fighter
:ulticeclimbers::ultolimar::ultrosalina::ultduckhunt:: Group fighters!
:ultmewtwo::ultlucas::ultness:: Psychic fighters

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
:ultpit::ultsamus: I may have bias not just because of me shipping em, but it's partially because of the franchise sibling ties between them which seems to be something Nintendo is ignoring or not acknowledging much. The Metroid references in Uprising and one KI reference in one of the Metroid games (I forgot which game, but it includes 3 "unknown items" Samus finds, which are revealed once she gets her Power Suit back; this references Pit's 3ST in the original game) also help out.

Last edited:

zmero_

Smash Cadet
I honestly think at this point Luigi and Simon Belmont has to be a thing or else the story mode will suck.

Last edited:

Kingkridley

Smash Rookie
I'd team up with :ultkrool:. Just him. No one else. A duo hell bent on destruction, domination, and bananas.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Assuming that it's another heroes vs. villains scenario, the potential is great, especially for the 4 and Ultimate newcomers. First the villains.

:ultridley::ultkingdedede: Not sure where Dedede would fall, but to see him interact with Ridley would be a neat juxtaposition.
:ultkrool::ultganondorf: I dunno, this just speaks to me.
:ultdarksamus::ultridley: Never got to see them interact in canon, so I feel it could work.
:ultridley::ultkrool::ultbowser:Reptilian antagonists, it would work.
:ultkrool::ultkingdedede: They can both be eccentric.

Now, the heroes

:ultrichter: Any female character. The potential is just too good.
:ultpalutena::ultdaisy: Given their large personalities, some funny moments would definitely occur between them.
:ultgreninja::ultsheik: They just seem to fit.
:ultlucario::ultryu: Seems like another obvious fit.
:ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake: Because Konami.
:ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo: The reveal trailer inspired this, they're both calm and collected. Cool as well.

Heroes and Villains

:ultridley:/:ultsamus:/:ultzss:/:ultdarksamus: Any combination, like maybe ZSS has to face DS to get the Power Suit as a reference to Brawl. Samus and Ridley could be neat, given that they always go straight to fighting, a bit of noncombat interaction would be cool. All 3 of them could also make for an epic scene.
:ultridley::ultpokemontrainer: It's been done to death, but PT assuming Ridley is a Pokemon could be funny.
:ultridley::ultpichu: Given how completely different they are, it could be cute, humorous, or both.
:ultbowser:/:ultkrool:/:ultridley:/:ultsimon: Simon fighting monster like villains just works.
:ultganondorf::ultpalutena: Again near opposites, more room for amusing interactions.

Last edited:

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
I just imagined Red trying to catch Ridley with a Pokeball, it doesn't work, then he is just gonna try even harder getting him even more angry. Then someone jumps in and saves him lol

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
I'm hoping Birdo gets in, that way, Yoshi and Birdo can team up and encounter a sleeping Pichu in a field. Yoshi, knowing he is good with babies, picks up the mouse pup and puts him on his saddle.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultdarksamus::ultganondorf::ultkrool::ultridley:

and

:ultdarkpit::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultwario::ultwolf:

Just picture the first being these villains forming an Masters of Evil type team.

Then the other. Anti-Heroes would just be fun alright. :p

PF9

Smash Lord
The child Smashers - Ness, Lucas, Toon Link, Young Link, Villager and Inkling - should all eventually get together too. (This might end up being a Stranger Things reference).

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The child Smashers - Ness, Lucas, Toon Link, Young Link, Villager and Inkling - should all eventually get together too.
I can only imagine one for all the women. :p

:ultbayonetta: . :ultinkling: , :ultjigglypuff: , :ultlucina: , :ultpalutena: , :ultpeach: , :ultdaisy: , :ultrosalina: , :ultsamus:/:ultzss: , :ultwiifittrainer: . :ultzelda:/:ultsheik:

Perfect example of Femme Fatale.

Last edited:

Kingkridley

Smash Rookie
I might of teamed up with :ultganondorf: and :ultridley:as well, because the're my favorite gaming villains, tied with :ultkrool:.

Team KingKridley:

Me, :ultkrool:, :ultganondorf:, and :ultridley:.

Battiest Badger

Smash Cadet
Some of these are a bit dependent on this being a clean slate, because they'll have met before in Subspace or previous Smash games.

:ultpokemontrainer::ultkirby: - Instead of mistaking Ridley for a Pokemon, how about mistaking Kirby for Jigglypuff, now that regional variants are a thing. PT gets super flustered when Kirby keeps copying his Pokemon.
:ultwario::ultduckhunt: - They may not be true antagonists, but they're definitely instigators.
:ultinkling::ultfalco:- I think these two could be cute because Falco doesn't seem like he'd be able to deal well with kids. They run into some serious situation and he just throws his arm out like a mom in a car like "I'll handle this" then Inkling has to come to the rescue and Falco just has to wonder "What just happened here?"
:ultinkling::ultfalco::ultbowserjr: - Later on, Inkling and Falco fight Bowser Jr, and Inkling and Bowser Jr become paint pals. Bowser Jr asks them to save his dad (who's probably been betrayed by Ganondorf or Ridley or something) and Falco is not having it. Nope. Mario has explicitly stated never to help Bowser under any circumstances. So Inkling and Bowser Jr either A) Give him puppy dog eyes, B) Start crying, or C) Say they'll go without him. No matter how you slice it Falco has to give in. (Apparently I'm very keen on the idea of Falco becoming a babysitter. Who knew?)
:ultmarth::ultrosalina::ultsamus: - In Subspace, Marth was on team sword with Ike and Meta Knight, so it'd be fun to throw him way out of his element with a Goddess and Bounty Hunter from space.
:ultsonic::ultjigglypuff::ultolimar: - There is no way Jigglypuff and Olimar would be able to keep up with Sonic, and he would have to walk so slow to make sure he doesn't lose them, because then he'd be responsible if they got hurt.
:ultdaisy::ultpikachu: - This one I don't have any real reason other than I just think it would work well. Daisy seems like she's got the right spirit to fit in to the Pokemon world and be a pretty good trainer.
:ultzelda::ultness::ultlucas: - Zelda and some psychic children. She kinda becomes a babysitter like Falco, only she knows what she's doing.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Well, a :ultkingdedede::ultkrool: team up would be hilarious.
How ironic considering I made them a team for YEARS lol

Anyone with :ulttoonlink::ultwolf::ultjigglypuff: since those 3 never got a chance in SSE in Brawl

:ultridley::ultkrool::ultbowser::ultganondorf: - who is the most "evil" of them all

:ultsimon::ultmegaman::ultpit: - Nostalgia reasons

:ultyounglink::ultpichu: - something to remind us they've been missing for 17 years

:ultbayonetta::ultwiifittrainer::ultzss: - because why not?

:ultdaisy::ultrosalina: - I'd like for something funny to happen here where Daisy gets excited about being in Smash and Rosalina looking annoyed

:ultshulk::ultlucina:(:ultchrom:) - anime swordsman moment/I CAN SENSE THE FUTURE memes

:ultpalutena::ultcorrin: - goddess and the dragon

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I'd really like to see the Awakening trio, :ultchrom::ultrobin:ultlucina:, team up, kinda like how :ultmarth::ultike: and :ultmetaknight: teamed up for a while back in SSE.

I'd also like to see :ultmarth::ultike::ultroy: team up with the Awakening trio, and then have :ultcorrin: join in sometime later. I wouldn't need anything else.

it'd also be kind of cool if the female cast started to gush over robin and corrin

EDIT: I forgot to add, seeing :ultmario:, :ultsonic:, :ultsnake:, :ultsimon:, :ultryu:, :ultpacman:, :ultmegaman:, :ultcloud: team up would probably be one of the most iconic gaming moments in history. It'd be a bigger crossover than Avengers: Infinity War.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:ultdiddy::ultfox::ultfalco: was a very cool team up in SSE, so I would like to see it again honestly. If only briefly.

It will likely be randomised however, but I do think a few thematic team ups would be real nice.

For example, :ultmewtwo::ultdarksamus::ultridley:; all "mutants" in a way with a serious twisted world view. Mewtwo would likely be the master mind behind them.

:ultganondorf: could control, or manipulate :ultrobin into his "dark side", and you could free him by beating him to sense.

:ultlucas::ultluigi: could team up and overcome their timid character, not sure who else could tag along who fits the charactertistics. Maybe :ultfalcon: for the fun and neccesary machoism. I also think :ultduckhunt: could tag along because Lucas loves dogs.

:ultsnake::ultike::ultwolf: for being mercenaries, all drastically different but still hanging around as a sort of mercenary gang between space and time. :ultcloud: could fit here too maybe?

:ultpokemontrainer: would very likely "team up" with other Pokemon, or downrightely catch them and let them join their team. Early ally could easily be :ultjigglypuff: or :ultpikachu: for example, a later ally would be :ultlucario: or :ultgreninja:. Could get a egg in the story which hatches :ultpichu:?

:ultrosalina::ultpalutena: would likely take interesst in each other, :ultzelda: could also tag along. Goddess lady gang, why not?

:ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultryu: with Wii Fit Trainer serving as both fighter's mentor of sort. :ultdoc: maybe as well?

:ultbowser: and :ultbowserjr: could be seperated somewhere in the story, and :ultbowserjr: would meet :ultkrool: and clamors to him a bit.

PF9

Smash Lord
Back in SSE, Ike, Marth and Meta Knight teamed up, which kind of was like The Three Musketeers. All for one and one for all!

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I’d bring back all the original SSE team-ups.

Team 1- :ultmario::ultpit::ultkirby::ultlink::ultyoshi:
Team 2-:ultmarth::ultike::ulticeclimbers::ultlucas::ultpokemontrainer:
Team 3-:ultsamus::ultpikachu::ultrob::ultfalcon::ultolimar::ultdk::ultdiddy:
Team 4-:ultmetaknight::ultfox::ultfalco::ultpeach::ultzelda::ultsnake::ultlucario::ultgnw:
Team 5-:ultness::ultluigi::ultkingdedede:

Dunno about the villains, Sonic, Jigglypuff, Wolf, Toon Link, and the 4/Ultimate cast but those can be up to anybody.

Bandanna_Waddle_Dee

Smash Apprentice
I made my own little Subspace II scenario quite a while back, so much that I've forgotten most of the context but I do still have the character pairs written down. Also bear in mind that this was written after the E3 reveal (meaning Ridley, Inkling and Daisy were the only confirmed newcomers at the time), and with Echo fighters being a thing I based the plot around characters being cloned. Having said that, I did throw a few newcomers in which were K. Rool, Bandana Dee, Chibi-Robo, Chrom and Dark Samus. I'm pretty content that three of those are now officially in.

Anyway, teams were:

:ultmario:&:ultlink: (who had been kidnapped and cloned), who later escape and are joined by :ultness:&:ultsonic:. :ultpichu: Also joins after being saved from :ultbowserjr:.

:ultcorrin: explores through a series of abandoned castles and :ultjigglypuff: ends up following him. They find :ultinkling:,:ultpeach:&:ultdaisy: locked in cages as trophies.

:ultcloud:&:ultwiifittrainer: join :ultrob: on his journey to track down Chibi-Robo (who's being mass manufactured to power an equivalent to Subspace bombs by :ultbowser:).

:ultdk:&:ultdiddy: try to track down :ultkrool: who's been stealing trophies to clone. End up in a jungle maze where :ultpacman: joins them. They find K. Rool's cargo bay where he's been storing weapons, and :ultshulk: suddenly crashes in to stop him as Dunban and Riki have been kidnapped.

:ultpit:&:ultpalutena: set off to investigate about the clones, given their history with Dark Pit. They find a lone Luma, who's been following :ultolimar: in a search to find Rosalina.

I can't remember much about what actually happens to :ultrosalina: but I know she somehow ends up with :ulticeclimbers:. Rosalina later reunites with Luma, and her and the Icies join Pit's party.

:ultrobin is trying to locate Corrin, and is joined by :ultluigi:&:ultlucas: who are trying to find Mario and Ness respectively. :ultgreninja: secretly follows them.

:ultmetaknight: has once again lost the Halberd, which has a sleeping :ultduckhunt: aboard.

Forgot how :ultzelda:&:ultmegaman: ended up paired but I know they have multiple run ins with :ultganondorf:, and I think Mega Man was a stowaway aboard Samus' ship that escaped via a pod when it was overrun by :ultridley:and :ultdarksamus:.

:ultdoc:&:ultyounglink: are cloned from Mario and Link, and end up falling into a forest and find Bandana Dee with :ultyoshi:, who thinks Doc is the actual Mario. They end up teaming up with :ultmarth:,:ultike:&:ultroy:.

:ultkingdedede: has an underground lair. :ultchrom: investigates, and the two actually seem to be on civil terms. Unfortunately :ultwolf: crashes in, trying to capture them both. :ultwario: was also with him (unbeknown to Wolf), wanting to snag all their trophies once the three duke it out. The entire thing is put on halt when the lair is absorbed in a Subspace bomb. These four later team up and act as Dedede, Luigi and Ness did in Brawl.

:ultlucina: is captured aboard Samus' stolen ship after being mistaken for a cloned Marth, and the baddies plan on multiplying her as mindless cannon fodder for their growing armies. :ultsamus: ends up flying back to reclaim it with the help of :ultfox: and his arwing, along with :ultvillager:. They save Lucina along the way, who was hostage of a monster, which ends up dissolving into :ultgnw: upon defeat just like in Brawl's SSE. The two join the party.

:ultpikachu:, who has seen a captured Pichu, wants to find him. :ultpokemontrainer: tries to constantly capture him, to no avail. He then moves onto :ultlucario:, who joins their party after realising something is wrong in the natural balance of the aura. Red still can't capture anything. Can't remember how but :ultfalcon:&:ultryu: end up joining them.

Also can't remember how but :ultfalco:,:ultbayonetta:,:ultsnake:&:ultlittlemac: were a squad.

:ultkirby: sneaks aboard an aircraft that's holding a trophified :ultdarkpit:&:ulttoonlink:, who have gained the interest of :ultmewtwo:, who's revealed to be behind the whole thing. In similar fashion to Brawl's SSE, Mewtwo isn't the final boss as you'd expect and is also revealed to have just been another pawn for a greater evil.

I spent way too much time on this, but those are the squads that I had imagined. Thought they'd all have some interesting shenanigans and chemistry.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I kinda want this duo :ultridley::ultdarksamus: to show up at every turn in Samus' :ultsamus: path. It'd be funny.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
:ultsimon::ultmegaman::ultpit:: Captain N Reunion
In the comic, Samus would have been part of the team as well, although Simon and Mega Man would have not. Still, combine the cartoon and comic together and you have Samus on your team.

:ultpit::ultsamus: I may have bias not just because of me shipping em, but it's partially because of the franchise sibling ties between them which seems to be something Nintendo is ignoring or not acknowledging much. The Metroid references in Uprising and one KI reference in one of the Metroid games (I forgot which game, but it includes 3 "unknown items" Samus finds, which are revealed once she gets her Power Suit back; this references Pit's 3ST in the original game) also help out.
Metroid and Kid Icarus also used the same game engine. I believe they even had the same team for both. They used a password system. Both games were also produced by the late Gunpei Yokoi. Komaytos (literally "little Metroids") looked similar to Metroids, and the Kid Icarus manual said of them, "A mysterious floating creature. Nobody knows where it came from. One theory has it that it came from a planet other than the Earth. It's a nasty jellyfish monster." So, for those who have only played Kid Icarus: Uprising, this is what Pit was talking about.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
:ultbowser::ultganondorf::ultkrool: - Main antagonists

:ultwolf::ultridley::ultbowserjr::ultwario::ultkingdedede: - Other antagonists hired / recruited

:ultsheik::ultgreninja: - Sneaky ninjas, maybe :ultsnake: too cuz stealth.

:ultryu::ultlittlemac: - Want to see them duke it out tho tbh.

:ultdaisy::ultgnw: - New parasol for G&W to play with

:ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo: - PT trying to capture Mewtwo at some point but he breaks out without one shake of the pokeball, or it's just swatted away.

:ultpokemontrainer: :ultridley:/:ultkrool:/:ultwolf:/:ultgreninja:/ - PT trying to catch some fighters thinking they are new pokemon, or Greninja who IS new (to PT anyway).

And

:ultridley:vs:4charizard:

PF9

Smash Lord
Pikachu and Samus should be together again, Greninja can be part of the group too with his and Pikachu's trainer Ash Ketchum as a BG character (more Pokemon anime references need to be made in the Smash games)

osby

Smash Obsessed
After last update, I want to see Bayonetta and Diddy together.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I really want Ridley and Olimar to be friends. Not just for the size disparity, but because of how much it would remind me of that episode of South Park, where The C.o.o.n befriends Kthulu, and then goes full out 1960s cartoon looney tune in their relationship.

Or, Captain Toad instead of Olimar, since we know Captain Toad rides Dragons

Last edited:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Gimmie the random matchups. I want to see more things like Samus and Pikachu, or Captains Falcon and Olimar.

I want to see the Inklings team up with Ridley. I want to see Corrin partner up with Ice Climbers. I want to see Pokemon Trainer confused at who to toss a pokeball at of the Duck Hunt Duo

TheCrimsonSquid

Smash Cadet
I've always wanted to see Olimar and Rosalina team up and go through a Metroid-themed segment that culminates in a boss battle against Kraid.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
:ultlucas::ultrosalina:

What I want to also see is Rosalina and Lucas meeting each other and teaming up. I can only imagine the mother-son bond they'd develop and one example of it being that supposedly both gets separated somehow and eventually Lucas finds himself at the mercy of Bowser, Bowser Jr., Dark Samus, Ganondorf, King K. Rool and Ridley who are trying to take his spirit but luckily for him that Rosalina finds him in time seeing him in danger and due the motherly feelings she's developed towards him goes all mama bear on the villains saving Lucas.

Also it would be perfect example of character development there.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Besides the "all villains" which is pretty obvious at this point.

I think a :ultwiifittrainer: + :ultwario: + :ultkrool: + :ultkingdedede: pairing would be pretty funny her trying to get these 3 fat mother****ers in shape.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Really liking a lot of the groups people have proposed! If there is a story (which I really hope there is), I hope a lot of these groups happen! Also, unlike SSE, I hope an Ultimate story allows for 4 people to play at once. In addition, I can see 8 player smash being a part of the battles in the story. Would make sense, given how many characters there are.

As for my own groups, it is hard for me to think of some because so many different things can happen in the hypothetical story mode, with some groups breaking up, reuniting, etc. That being said, I do think the starting group should be the original 8.

In Brawl, it started with a match between Mario and Kirby. I think an Ultimate story should start with an 8 player smash between the original 8 (especially since Sakurai mentioned the initial roster will be from the N64 game, so I wouldn't expect Melee or later characters right off the bat).

Since I proposed 4 human players, then you'd have up to 4 characters controlled by humans and the rest controlled by CPUs. At the conclusion of the match, the story really starts and the original 8 would ultimately get separated.

Top Bottom