• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If there are 7 total newcomers (5 unannounced), what do you think/hope they will be?

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
I don't want to overestimate newcomers, so I've been thinking to myself what a reasonable number would be, and I thought 7 would be a nice, safe guess. So if you could only add 7, which do you think would be good? Off the top of my head I'd say

• Inkling
  • Ridley
  • Celica
  • Elma
  • King K Rool
  • Bandana Dee
  • Someone from Arms
With Impa from Hyrule Warriors as a runner up.
Tricky question for me...let’s see...

- Lana (Hyrule Warriors)
- Decidueye

Inkling and Ridley are already in so that would leave me with 3 spots...

- Ashley
- Rex & Pyra
- Chrom

I could see Chrom becoming an Ike’s Echo Fighter. Same with Eliwood becoming Roy’s Echo Fighter.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Hope:
  1. Linkle.
  2. Sora. All he needs is the greenlight from didney, and he's good to go.
  3. Twintelle or Lola Pop.
  4. Tharja or Camilia. Gotta get those non-swordfighter Fire Emblem reps in somehow.
  5. 2B or Aloy.
Think:
  1. [Spot reserved for Sakurai's troll character]
  2. Probably someone from XC2, since I've been hearing a lot of hubbub about that game, albeit for... reasons that would be more fitting for Smash 4 than for Ultimate. But hey, better late than never.
  3. Spring Man and/or Ribbon Girl, because they're the Ryu of ARMS.
  4. Chrom's probably going to be put in. I'm not going to particularly care for him, but I'll live. Called it.
  5. Apparently there are are rumors of Simon Belmont. Called it.
  • Gandalf the Grey
  • Gandalf the White
  • Monty Python & The Holy Grail's Black Knight
  • Bennito Mussolini
  • The Blue Meanie
  • Cowboy Curtis
  • Jambi the Genie
  • Robocop
  • Terminator
  • Captain Kirk
  • Darth Vader
  • Lo Pan
  • Superman
  • Every Single Power Ranger
  • Bill S. Preston
  • Theodore Logan
  • Spock
  • The Rock
  • Doc Ock
  • Hulk Hogan

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Not counting echoes, I assume.

Think:
  • Sora
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Mimikyu
  • Ashley
  • Spring Man
  • Sonic character
  • Paper Mario

Hope:
  1. Sora
  2. Travis Touchdown
  3. Elite Beat Agents
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Viewtiful Joe
  6. Buzzwole
  7. Raiden

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I guess we could have 10 newcomers total.

1 - Inkling
2 - Daisy
3 - Ridley
4 to 10 - ???

7 newcomers to go. Let's see... we got a Mario newcomer and a Metroid newcomer so far.

4 - Donkey Kong newcomer - King K. Rool
5 - Zelda newcomer - Impa from Skyward Sword as an Echo Fighter
6 - Yoshi newcomer - Yarn Yoshi as an Echo Fighter
7 - Kirby newcomer - Bandanna Waddle Dee
8 - Pokémon newcomer - Meowth Gen 7 Pokémon
9 - Third-party newcomer - Simon Belmont
10 - Third-party newcomer - Banjo-Kazooie

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
With Metroid and Mario both having newcomers, and the next main Mario character already confirmed as an Assist, I don’t think they’ll be any characters from those series.

I also don’t think that Pokémon will be getting reps, seeing as how we have two veterans back, making a total of eight Pokémon characters with no clones amongst them.

Also, I don’t think LOZ will get more newcomers, due to Young Link’s return, who apparently is no longer a clone.

So, with all that said, here is my list:

Elma (Xenoblade)- With the success Xenoblade has become, I think a new rep is inevitable. While many people think Rex will be the one to join the roster, I disagree; Looking at past Smash games, characters making appearances from the previous consoles got in the game. Little Mac, Shulk, Rosalina, Toon Link, Wii FIT Trainer, and Olimar are all prime examples of this. While there are exceptions at times, I think Elma will get in due to this.

Qbby (BOXBOY!)- Some people may not take me seriously after this, but I think Qbby actually has a figting chance. We have yet to see an eShop rep, Qbby is the only eShop rep to have his own amiibo, and Hal Lab. has gone on record to say they want Qbby to gain popularity. Plus, he has quite a bit of moveset potential and Sakurai loves to find quirky characters for his games. If any eShop character would arrive in Smash, it’d be Qbby or Dillon, but at the moment, I think Qbby has a higher chance, thus why I excluded Dillon from my list.

Ashley (Warioware)- Ashley is a very popular character from an underrepresented series. Her abilities would provide neat moves and a cool fighting style. In the last game, she was an assist trophy, so Sakurai definitely knows of her existence.

Bandana Dee (Kirby)- Bandana Dee is part of the main squad in the Kirby games. Being the first spear user, he’d be a bit unique and practically has a moveset laid out for him. And with Kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight all together, no one is in the way to keep Bandana Dee from stepping into the spotlight.

Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)- Shovel Knight is quite the popular series. It’s no strange to Nintendo consoles, even getting an amiibo. He’d have a very inspired moveset, being able to pogostick with his shovel and the simple fact that he has a shovel as his weapon! He feels like an obvious pick, and I’d be surprised if he wasn’t represented in Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
you left out Daisy so i assume you're not counting redundant clones echo fighters?

1. K. Rool, since Ridley's finally joining the party lets bring in the other fan-favorite villain request too!
  2. Decidueye/Lycanroc/Mimikyu/whoever. pokemon is the only series that's had a new fighter in every smash bros, even mario can't say the same. even with all the past characters returning i expect some new blood in the pokemon lineup, it's just a matter of who.
  3. Elma? Rex and Pyra? i guess xenoblade's a big enough deal that they'll probably add one more.
  4. Simon Belmont. weren't a lot of leakers saying he was gonna make it? we now have a pretty, uh, big reason to put stock in leaks like that so i'm counting on him turning up.
  5. Bandana Dee. he'd be a good fit and lots of people really want him.
honorable mention goes to Dark Samus since Samus' blue-black costume has mysteriously disappeared, but i have a bad feeling she's gonna be stuck as an echo fighter instead of having her own powers used for their full potential.

my ideal scenario: in a shocking twist Krystal, Midna, Ghirahim, and Takamaru's assist trophies were all in fact proof-of-concept for characters they were working on for the final game! then Lycanroc jumps in to bring it up to 7 brand-new characters. but i'm not exactly counting on that.

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
Not counting Simon Belmont (assuming that one leak is real and he's one of 6 unannounced newcomers), remembering the likely results of the Fighter Ballot, and going by the plans for Ultimate dating back to December 2015, here's the entirely new characters I'm expecting the most:
  1. King K. Rool - He rivals Ridley in terms of fan demand, so relevancy shouldn't be a problem this time.
  2. Bandana Dee - Like Sakurai would pass up the chance to give his own series another rep, especially when so many fans want it.
  3. Decidueye - If not, then perhaps Lycanroc or Mimikyu. I figure there's gonna be SOME Gen 7 rep in the game...
  4. Elma - Everyone wants Rex and Pyra, but considering how their designs were finalized well after Sakurai's initial plans, they have a better shot at being DLC later. Elma, on the other had, has a better shot at being a new Xenoblade rep in the base game.
  5. Geno - Sakurai's been wanting him for years. With Square still on board by allowing Cloud to come back, I'd say he has a decent shot this time.
Honorable Mentions: Paper Mario, Dixie Kong (she might be included as an Echo Fighter), Chorus Kids, and Jibanyan

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Sure, let's take a shot at this, the 5 who I think are the most likely:

1. Simon Belmont: The leak is probably real, and Snake is back, and Bomberman is an AT, AND Castlevania is a very iconic series, so this one makes the top of my list here.
2. King K. Rool: I, unlike many others, don't particularly care for this guy. He sat very highly in the ballot, got a Mii costume and he has a lot of moveset potential. I want my boy Funky a lot more, but the more DK reps the better.
3. Rayman: After his odd appereance as a trophy in Smash 4, and the Omni leak, his placing in the ballot might've been pretty high. Ubisoft is a big supporter for Nintendo, and their recent collaborations together with Mario+Rabbids and the exclusive Star Fox content in StarLink give this guy really high hopes.
4. Shadow: Thing about this guy is that I feel that he will only get in as an echo fighter. Which is a bit off since his abilities are different enough from Sonic's. But I'll be fine with that either way.
5. Geno: The least likely out of all of the other 4, but my most wanted on this list. He got the Mii costume, he's been highly requested since Brawl and many people want him in, Sakurai wants him in, I want him in... and Cloud is back, so I think it's time for this good wooden boy to shine once again.

HM. Paper Mario, Ashley, Elma, RH rep, Pokemon Gen 7 rep, Kirby rep.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
I don't know about echoes, but for unique newcomers: King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Elma, Mimikyu, Chorus Kids, Simon
Honorable Mentions: Bandana Dee, Ashley, Geno

Jetmann

Smash Apprentice
Just gonna put what I want:

1. Dixie Kong
2. King K. Rool
3. Simon Belmont
4. Banjo & Kazooie
5. Isabelle or Impa

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I've long since stopped believing in prediction posts, so I'm just going to post my spitballing newcomers who I think have a shot for one reason or another, and that I would like. Could happen, could not happen. Smash 4 really killed any "expectations" about predictions.

1. K. Rool. Seriously. Please. Sakurai I really can't do this waiting thing anymore.
2. Ashley
3. Simon Belmont
4. Elma
5. Bandana Dee

Echoes I think might be picked, though I have no estimates on # or likelihood (because no one has estimates. We're not Sakurai): Dixie* (Now, I obviously don't think Dixie deserves to be an Echo fighter at all. She's way more important than that. But my ideal situation is to get both her and K. Rool and finally have some justice for DKC in Smash. But I also could see us not getting anymore semi-clones, and Diddy has potentially lost his only move that used his tail. So...) ,Dark Samus, Funky Kong, Shadow, Hilda, Impa, Ken, Chrom maybe.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I expect

King k rool
Retro rep
Simon Belmont (if that leak holds up)
A Japan wanted newcomer (probably Ashley from Warioware)
A WTF character

Last edited:

Eagle

Smash Lord
I am expecting:
Geno
King K. Rool
Gen 7 Pokemon - Zeraora (I'm calling it.)
Something Random Nobody Wants - Cooking Mama (Or whomever Sakurai cooks up this installment.)
3rd Party - Rayman (Or Simon if the leak is true, but I'd rather Banjo Kazooie)

Additional Echos / Semi-Clones:
Dixie
Impa
Shadow (I'd much rather my boy Tails)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Five eh? Very reasonable and a good guess?

What I want
King K. Rool: My most wanted newcomer if he's in I promised myself I'd main him. No matter his tier. Plus the deranged croc needs in due to fan demand.
Decidueye: Owl archer with unique look and potential need I say more.
Bandana Dee: Need him in fear the Dee, plus another Kirby character.
Spyro: The other purple dragon, with attitude and fire- power doubt he gets in.
Isaac: The sun will rise again on him.

What I expect
Elma: Good strong female character from Xenoblade Chrinicles X. I say yes.
Simon Belmont: Why not? Character with a whip? Seems likely.
Ribbon Girl: Anyone from Arms should be her.
Shadow: His assist trophy is gone so why not he'd be an Eco fighter but could use the chaos control for a final smash.
Jibanyan: Yo-Kai Watch character no one would expect, plus I still adore, the series So I wouldn't mind.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
If we're not counting echos and there's 7 newcomers:

1) Ridley
2) Inklings
3) Simon Belmont - The leak is seeming pretty legit
3) King K. Rool - DK needs his villain rep
4) Dixie Kong - 2 DK reps may be a lot for one game, but the series is lacking in representation, and Dixie is a classic Nintendo character
5) Ashley - AT trophy is missing, on the rise in popularity
6) Banjo-Kazooie - Microsoft and Nintendo are close now. I really think it's happening
7) Bandanna Dee - Kirby needs that 4th rep, plus he's pretty big now

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Who i think will get in
1.Ashley
2.Springman/Ribbon Girl
3.Celica
4.Elma
5.Dixie Kong
6.King K. Rool
7.Simon Belmont

Who i hope will get in
1.Medusa
2.Ayumi
3.Shantae
4.KOS-MOS
5.Mona
6.Mipha
7.Sophie(Style Savvy)

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
The 7 Characters I Hope That Will Get In Smash Ultimate
Rayman
Geno
King K Rool
Dixie Kong
Elma
Chorus Kids
Lip

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
What I want:
5. Sash Lilac(Freedom Planet) (I think she can easily be incorporated into the game. Pretty simple design and abilities. And Freedom Planet is one of my favourite games)
4. Adeleine(Kirby 64) (I think her ability to bring her painting to life could make for some good references)
3. Infernape(Pokemon) (Pretty much the Goku of the series. Just look up Blaze Infernape and you'll see what I mean. Which means this is the closest thing to Goku in Smash. Nuff said really. Not to mention the most developed character in the Pokemon Anime)
2.Tails (Sonic) (I really want Sega to put Tails back in some action again and not just on the sidelines. Maybe putting him in Smash will wake up their eyes. Not to mention we could make the fated Mario and Luigi Vs Sonic and Tails battle finally happen if he got put in)
1.Sora (Kingdom Hearts) (This is just too perfect. Sora travels to different worlds in Kingdom Hearts so they could easily incorporate that for a trailer or even a possible Story mode. Plus he has SO MANY abilities. We're talking Flowmotion, Magic, Normal Combo Attacks, The new Disney Rides(for his Final Smash maybe), Drive Forms(Which he can easily use for palette swaps. Not to mention Final Form could also be used as another Final Smash), D-Links and Trinity Limit(Once again another option for a Final Smash). Plus Kingdom Hearts III comes out one month right after Smash. You cant tell me this isn't the perfect chance)
What I'm Expecting:
5. Geno (Sakurai wanted him since Brawl and 3DS/Wii U. And since Nintendo and Square's relationship has patched up recently I'm expecting him to finally join)
4. Bandana Dee (Since Kirby is Sakurai's creation and the fact that the series didn't get any new characters in Smash 4, I'm expecting the new rep to be Bandana Dee considering ever since Kirby's Return to Dreamland he's appeared in most games)
3. Decidueye(Pokemon) (Since Eevee's still a Pokeball assist I'm expecting a Gen 7 Pokemon to appear)
2. Spring Man(Nintendo's newest IP and a fighting game at that. I'm expecting Spring Man to join since Nintendo would want to advertise it)
1. Rex and Pyra(I'm expecting Nintendo to try to advertise Xenoblade. Plus we could use more Xenoblade reps)

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
I'm a little confused about the question being asked, as what do you think/hope, as well as which do you think would be good, can all be rather different questions with varying answers. That said, the aspect of the question involving 7 newcomers is actually what I'm currently expecting... not including Echo Fighters. Now I've only the looked at the forum creator's list, I'm trying to be as blind with these suggestions as possible.

So let's try and work out who I think is most likely, with two spots having already been taken:
1) Inkling
2) Ridley
3) King K. Rool/Dixie Kong/Bandanna Dee/Ashley/Isabelle
4) King K. Rool/Dixie Kong/Bandanna Dee/Ashley/Isabelle - To explain slots 3 and 4, I feel that of the 5 characters I've suggested, at least 2 of them will be playable as completely original newcomers. They are all near equally likely in my eyes, though some (unfortunately) have the chance of being an Echo Fighter as well.

5) Dillon/Karate Joe (Rhythm Heaven)/Mallo (Pushmo)/Qbby/Isaac - If Inkling represents a new series from the console side of things, then I expect a new series added to SSB that can represent the handheld side of things. The Nintendo Switch does combine Nintendo's console and handheld markets after all.

6) Balloon Fighter/Lip/Excitebiker - I'm still expecting a Retro/older series addition and I feel these are currently the top choices.

7) 3rd Party (Rayman)/Vince (Art Academy) - Now this is an odd slot, which I'll sum as either the 3rd party or unusual character slot. Rayman is the 3rd party I think is most likely, though I keep hearing others mentioning Simon Belmont because of some leak, but I've yet to look into that. If not a 3rd Party, then I'd fill in the 7th slot with what others term a 'WTF' addition. In my case, I went with Vince from Art Academy, as Art Academy is one of the few core IPs of their more... Casual (I hate that term, but it's the easiest to describe it) series without much representation in SSB. I considered Style Savvy as well, but don't know of a good representative for the series.

So then... I guess I need to decide on precisely who I think is most likely versus who I'd want. Here we go:
Expected
1) Inkling
2) Ridley
3) King K. Rool
4) Isabelle
5) Dillon
6) Balloon Fighter
7) Rayman

For the Expected list, I feel it's so close that you can't really judge for a lot of the choices. I just listed the ones I think are a tiny fraction more likely. For instance, I am fairly confident Isabelle will be playable, I'm just not sure if she'd be an original fighter or an Echo Fighter of Villager.

Want
1) Inkling
2) Ridley
3) Bandanna Dee
4) Ashley
5) Dillon
6) Lip
7) Yuri Kozukata (Project Zero) - The only one not in my expected ramblings at the start; though I feel she has a decent chance.

To be clear with my want list, it was tough to exclude King K. Rool and Dixie because I feel they deserve to be in SSB so much, but looking at things from a purely self-interest perspective, I personally prefer Bandanna Dee and Ashley.

Last edited:

Cantplaythesolo

Smash Rookie
  • Inkling
  • Ridley

• King K Rool
  • Simon Belmont
  • Arms Character
  • Shovel Knight
  • Rayman or Rabbid character
Two of my picks were confirmed!

Inkling
Ridley
King K Rool
Simon Belmont

Arms Character
Shovel Knight
Rayman or Rabbid Character

I feel like Banjo might have a chance now, since they'd need a big reveal to finish off with and while Shovel Knight and Rayman would be big, they don't have quite the nostalgia factor Banjo does.

Last edited:
Top Bottom