• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If Smash debuted this year, what would be your roster of 12?

KickleCubiclist

Smash Apprentice
I’m gonna make another because my other one wasn’t that good.
:ultlucario:(Stage: Sinnoh Stadium), :ultsonic: (Stage: City Escape) :ultmario: (Stage: Mushroom Kingdom), :ultpikachu: (Stage: Kanto Stadium), :ultkirby: (Stage: Halberd), :ultfalcon::ultlink::ultinkling::ultness::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultmegaman: (IDK stages for these people tbh)

osby

Smash Obsessed
  1. Mario
  2. Link
  3. Kirby
  4. Pikachu
  5. Samus
  6. Donkey Kong
  7. Villager
  8. Marth
  9. Inkling
  10. Yoshi
  11. Lucina (clone)
  12. Luigi (clone)

UserKev

Smash Champion
You have to be careful because this is the Smash that can't go wrong. Its very fragile. I'm even undecided but this can be my default.

Mario, Bowser, Yoshi, DK, Samus, Link, Captain Falcon, Kirby, Pikachu, Mewtwo, Olimar, Inkling

I didn't add Luigi to make it more interesting and still keeping it Smash like. I honestly feel like Diddy Kong is forced. I want him in but its complicated. People that has Peach, Ridley and Wario on their roster is also fascinating. Marth to an extend.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
First Smash game today probably would be a Mario fighting game spin-off.

1. :ultmario:
  2. :ultluigi:
  3. :ultpeach:
  4. Toad
  5. :ultyoshi:
  6. :ultdk:
  7. :ultwario:
  8. :ultbowser:
  9. :ultdaisy: (Unlockable)
  10. Waluigi (Unlockable)
  11. :ultbowserjr: (Unlockable)
  12. :ultrosalina: (Unlockable)
Stages
  1. Mario stage = Mario Land
  2. Luigi stage = Luigi’s Mansion
  3. Peach stage = Peach’s Castle
  4. Toad stage = Double Cherry Palace
  5. Yoshi stage = Yoshi’s Island
  6. Donkey Kong stage = Kongo Jungle
  7. Wario stage = Kitchen Island
  8. Bowser stage = Bowser’s Castle
  9. Daisy stage = Sarasaland
  10. Waluigi stage = Mario Tennis
  11. Bowser Jr. stage = Isle Delfino
  12. Rosalina stage = Gateway Galaxy
  13. Secret stage = Mushroom Kingdom

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
:ultmario::ultpikachu::ultlink::ultdk::ultkirby::ultvillager:
:ultyoshi::ultwario::ultsamus::ultfox::ultinkling::ultluigi:

Best selling franchises basically. Fire Emblem and Luigi(Mansion 1 + 2, Luigi U) have around the same sales, so I just picked who I prefer of the two. Sorry Marth.

(Yes this is in order of best selling. Technically Wii Fit Trainer or the Miis should be on, but I feel they'd be questionable choices on a roster so small)

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultfox:
:ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultvillager::ultinkling::ultchrom:

Assuming no other differences in this timeline (Fire Emblem still took off in the West despite Melee never being a thing, etc.), this is how I'd handle it. Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and Fire Emblem replace Mother (Ness) and F-Zero (Captain Falcon) as priority series to represent, with the third filling in for Jigglypuff. Hardest exclusion for me would be Bowser, since I think there should be at least the most iconic Nintendo villain, but Luigi is arguably more beloved than Mario himself, so he takes that spot instead. Disagree with those that say Fox would be low-priority. Recent success or not, Star Fox is still an IP that Nintendo frequently promotes as part of their "core" lineup, so I think Fox would and should stay. Chrom would probably debut in place of Marth as the basic Fire Emblem "mascot" with the basic but unique sword-based moveset.

Last edited:

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
The original roster was pretty close to being spot-on already (as of 1999); Jiggs could be replaced with Marth or possibly Pit, but that'd be the only change.

For a 2018 roster, it'd be a little different.

:ultmario::ultlink::ultdk::ultsamus:
:ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultvillager::ultinkling:

And the unlockable four...

:ultmarth::ultyoshi::ultfox::ultmegaman:

I tried to get 12 different series in there for maximum variety.

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Gonna do stages too, 1 for each, I tried creating new stages instead of picking existing ones:
:ultmario: - Fossil Kingdom
:ultyoshi: - Clawdaddy Beach
:ultbowser: - Bowser's Castle (Mario Kart)
:ultpikachu: - Alola Pokémon League
:ultlink: - Hyrule Field (BOTW)
:ultkirby: - Castle Dedede
:ultolimar: - Garden Of Hope
:ultfox: - Meteo
:ultchrom: - Ylisse Castle
:ultinkling: - Arowana Mall
:ultshulk: - Colony 9
Isabelle: Town Plaza

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
:ultyoshi::ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultmarth::ultsamus:
:ultvillager::ultolimar::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultfox::ultinkling:

Unfortunately cut Ness and Capt. Falcon due to being in dead franchises. Cut Puff because the anime popularity is long dead and Luigi because might as well have one rep per franchise. Add Olimar, Villager, Marth and Inkling for current big Nintendo franchises.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
:ultmario::ultlink::ultdk::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultpikachu:
:ultfox::ultmarth::ultolimar::ultvillager::ultinkling::ultbowser:

I'd swap Villager with Isabelle but she doesn't have a character icon (yet?) so he'll do for now.

Every series is iconic and relevant to modern Nintendo, everyone stands out from one another, and a wide array of genres are represented.

keleyeemoh

Smash Apprentice
Original eight:

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultmarth::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu:

One rep each from what I feel are the eight most well-known Nintendo franchises at this point.

Unlockables:

:ultgnw::ultvillager::ultinkling::ultsonic:

I wasn't sure whether to put Villager in the original eight or here. Inkling for a rep from a newer franchise that Nintendo would want to promote, even though it's already very popular. And then one retro rep and one third party rep, of which Sonic is the most obvious.

lexpic17

Smash Rookie
:ultmario::ultkirby::ultlink::ultsamus::ultdk::ultpikachu:
:ultlucina::ultinkling::ultfox: :ultolimar: (Isabelle) (Elma)

If I was somehow able to sneak six more in....
:ultpit::ultyoshi::ultness::ultwario::ultfalcon::ultbayonetta:

The games after that would start adding in supporting casts and villains

Mark Helsing

Smash Rookie
Starting:
:ultmario::ultpeach::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultvillager::ultinkling:
Unlockable:
:ultbowser::ultpit::ultlucina::ultshulk:

Reasons:
Star Fox is dead
Jigglypuff has been lost in a sea of a million other Pokemon
Captain Falcon needs no explaination
Fire Emblem is great but I doubt Marth would be the one they'd add with the influx of Awakening love
Shulk takes Ness's place as the JRPG character
Animal Crossing and Splatoon are in, waaaaaay in
Who needs semi-clones like Luigi in a roster of 12?
Yoshi and DK are basically just Mario characters, let's be real, so I added Peach and Bowser instead
Also Pit is there

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
FOR ME!
:ultmario::ultlink::ultpikachu:(+ :ultpokemontrainer:)
:ultdk::ultyoshi::ultkirby:
:ultsamus::ultmarth::ultinkling:
Hidden:
:ultbowser::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo: (Moreso Team Rocket)
DLC:
:ultsonic::ultpacman::ultmegaman:
The movesets would be drastically different from current game.
Mario would be a 1/2 player with Luigi, Link would cycle through weapons and magic, Pikachu would be a part of the battle with Pokemon Trainer (but would be mostly Pikachu, with a few assist flash-summons of the original starter trilogy), Team Rocket would use Meowth until it gets enough power to unleash Mewtwo.

This is already a thread
But as I said previously,
:ultmario::ultbowser::ultdk::ultkrool::ultlink::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultridley::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo:
6 heroes, 6 villains.
Hmm ... 6... +... 6.... =.... 14?

Last edited:

B1urp

Smash Rookie
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultlink::ultkirby::ultfox::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultpikachu::ultmarth::ultvillager::ultinkling:
I feel like the starting roster is mainly fine except Captain Falcon and Ness both seem irrelevant in comparison to other characters. Jigglypuff I dont feel is needed just because Pikachu is so much more recognizeable.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
FOR ME!
:ultmario::ultlink::ultpikachu:(+ :ultpokemontrainer:)
:ultdk::ultyoshi::ultkirby:
:ultsamus::ultmarth::ultinkling:
Hidden:
:ultbowser::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo: (Moreso Team Rocket)
DLC:
:ultsonic::ultpacman::ultmegaman:
The movesets would be drastically different from current game.
Mario would be a 1/2 player with Luigi, Link would cycle through weapons and magic, Pikachu would be a part of the battle with Pokemon Trainer (but would be mostly Pikachu, with a few assist flash-summons of the original starter trilogy), Team Rocket would use Meowth until it gets enough power to unleash Mewtwo.

Hmm ... 6... +... 6.... =.... 14?
WHOOPS
Remove Pikachu and Mewtwo

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultkirby::ultsamus::ultpikachu:
:ultbowser::ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultkingdedede::ultridley::ultmewtwo:

Each a hero and anti-hero/villain from the same franchise. Removed Yoshi and Fox since the former is from the same franchise as Mario and the latter hasn't been as popular as he used to be.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hmm, tough decision, but my roster would probably be something like this.
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultpikachu::ulticeclimbers::ultkirby: (Rex & Pyra) :ultinkling::ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultsimon:
I was torn between DK and Star Fox, but went with DK seeing as a lot of people don’t really seem to like Star Fox a whole lot lately.

Choose Ice Climbers as a Retro rep because Smash seems to like including Retro reps in all of its games.

And finally I had to choose between Snake, Cloud, or Simon, but decided to go with Simon.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
If Smash debuted this year history would be entirely different. Fire Emblem would have never been released in the West and the series would have probably died.

A lot of other things would be different too. Who know what state Nintendo might be in if Smash never existed until now?

I can tell you one thing. Pikachu and Pokemon would not be in it. The Pokemon series was still young when Smash 64 came out so The Pokemon Company had yet to be invented and their super restrictive policies on what, where, and when Pokemon can be used wasn't in full force. Back then they were more willing to let developers do things with the IP. Now? Not so much. The Pokemon amiibos don't even work for most Nintendo games because of how restrictive they are. The only reason Pokemon is still in Smash today is because it was there all along.

So Pikachu wouldn't be in, that's for sure. Marth? No. The series would be dead. Not Ness either. Or Falcon. And without Smash being one of the first Nintendo games to be taken seriously in the competitive scene, who knows if more competition based Nintendo games would have ever been made, like Splatoon.

Top Bottom