• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If Smash debuted this year, what would be your roster of 12?

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
Exactly what the title states.
No other titles exist. Just the debut Smash game and it comes out this December. What are your twelve selections.

Me:
:ultmario::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultdk:
:ultlink::ultkirby::ultsamus::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultinkling:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I really don't think the original twelve would change much at all, other than removing Falcon and Ness due to a lack of relevancy in the last decade and a half and replacing them with newer things synonymous with Nintendo, like the Inklings or Marth. The original Smash 64 roster are more or less the staples of Nintendo.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I really don't think the original twelve would change much at all, other than removing Falcon and Ness due to a lack of relevancy in the last decade and a half and replacing them with newer things synonymous with Nintendo, like the Inklings or Marth. The original Smash 64 roster are more or less the staples of Nintendo.
I dunno about Jigglypuff though. She isn't really that safe anymore if it was 2018 instead of '99

So for my guess?

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultbowser::ultmarth::ultpit::ultinkling::ultmewtwo:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultluigi:
:ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultmarth:
:ultsamus::ultbowser::ultinkling:
:ultpit:

I suppose Inkling and Pit are wildcards, but I never really put much thought into it; wanted some kinda way to get Pit in there. I suppose Marth got lucky in my eyes because of that sudden surge of FE popularity... but yet, I would've replaced him with :ultwario: or :ultfox: despite me not recalling Fox having much relevance lately (I could be wrong).

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultmarth::ultvillager::ultshulk:

Star Fox isn't as big as it was in the 90's and F-Zero/Earthbound are all but dead (well more so Earthbound). None of which I see having priority on a 12-character roster.

Animal Crossing is a huge IP for Nintendo and would likely get in easily. Fire Emblem exploded in popularity in the 2010's and Xenoblade looks to do the same though I don't think it would necessarily be Marth/Shulk as the representatives.

Had to decide between Mewtwo and Lucario but I went with Mewtwo because he's much more iconic as a character. Well that and bias lol. Of course that role might be filed by a more recent Gen PKMN though.

EDIT: Crap baskets I forgot about Splatoon lmao! I guess :ultinkling: replaces Luigi on this roster. Maybe Luigi ends up being DLC in this scenario.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:ultluigi::ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultpit:
:ultmarth::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultshulk:

Less biased edition:

:ultluigi::ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultvillager:
:ultolimar::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultinkling:

If I were in Sakurai's shoes, I doubt :ultfalcon: or :ultness: would've even crossed my mind, since F-Zero and Mother haven't been active franchises in the past while. I suppose :ultjigglypuff: could've gone either way, though, since they were made in 64 using Kirby's assets.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State

I "cheated" and didn't decide which Xenoblade character to add, because I haven't finished XC yet.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultmarth::ultkirby:
:ultpikachu::ultshulk::ultvillager::ultinkling::ultryu::ultsonic:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Princess Peach’s Castle
Kongo Falls
Great Plateau Tower
Frigate Orpheon
Arena Ferox
Fountain of Dreams
Pokémon Stadium
Guar Plain
Smashville
Moray Towers
Suzaku Castle
Green Hill Zone
Random

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I dunno about Jigglypuff though. She isn't really that safe anymore if it was 2018 instead of '99
To my knowledge, Puff is still very popular in Japan for merchandise and general advertising, though maybe I'm behind on the times.

Wouldn't hurt to replace her with Charizard or Mewtwo to round out Pikachu's "pocket" with one of the two most recognizable "monsters".

j.method()

Smash Rookie
NNID
HannahFaces
Starting roster
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultinkling::ultpikachu:

Hidden Characters
:ultluigi::ultmarth::ultshulk::ultbayonetta:

The starting 8 except inkling for Fox, because Splatoon is popular and the Star Fox series is questionable at best.
Fire emblem and Xenoblade each would get a rep, maybe not Marth and Shulk, but someone.
F zero and earthbound aren't recent series.
Bayonetta seems like the next most relevant series that hasn't been represented so far.

I think that covers all the series with a switch game (or announced title) currently except Sonic.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
:ultmario::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultvillager::ultchrom::ultinkling:

-Fox is out due to not having a notably successful release since the N64.
-Chrom is in over Marth due to Awakening's greater noteriety with international audiences (plus I like him more).

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Oh I like this idea...

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultmarth::ultkirby::ultwario::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultvillager::ultinkling:

This is really agonizing... Do you better represent the more established series, or add more variety? I kinda put Fox in there just to stop myself from adding more Mario or Zelda characters lol. I guess Star Fox Zero wasn't too long ago even if it wasn't great...

KickleCubiclist

Smash Apprentice
:ultfalcon::ultyoshi::ultsonic::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultlink::ultmario::ultluigi::ultsamus::ultfox::ultinkling::ultmarth:Decided to put in CF as the “Hey, remember me! I’m used for nostalgia!” character.
The rest I shouldn’t need to explain.

Lazer Tuna

Smash Rookie
Characters with two stages each:

1. Mario
-Delfino Plaza and Mario Galaxy
2. Link
-Bridge of Eldin and Gerudo Valley
3. Pikachu
-Kalos Pokemon League and Spear Pillar
4. Samus
-Brinstar Depths and Frigate Orpheon
5. Ike
-Arena Ferox and Castle Seige
6. Shulk
-Gaur Plains and Satori Marsh
8. Fox
-Aero Assault and Venom
9. Kirby
-Great Cave Offensive and Fountain of Dreams
10. Inklings
-Moray Towers and Saltspray Rig
11. Olimar
-Forest Navel and Garden of Hope
12. Duck Hunt Duo
-Duck Hunt and Balloon Fight

KickleCubiclist

Smash Apprentice
Characters with two stages each:

1. Mario
-Delfino Plaza and Mario Galaxy
2. Link
-Bridge of Eldin and Gerudo Valley
3. Pikachu
-Kalos Pokemon League and Spear Pillar
4. Samus
-Brinstar Depths and Frigate Orpheon
5. Ike
-Arena Ferox and Castle Seige
6. Shulk
-Gaur Plains and Satori Marsh
8. Fox
-Aero Assault and Venom
9. Kirby
-Great Cave Offensive and Fountain of Dreams
10. Inklings
-Moray Towers and Saltspray Rig
11. Olimar
-Forest Navel and Garden of Hope
12. Duck Hunt Duo
-Duck Hunt and Balloon Fight
Hey, you can’t do stages! That’s unfair!
Just kidding, you can do what you want. Very cool stage choices. I would LOVE to play on Saltspray Rig!

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Great list! However, I’d say Villager would fit better than Isabelle, and Luigi more than Wario, but still good!
Thanks. I went with Isabelle because, while she isn't the player character, she's pretty much the mascot at this point. Also, since Wario is more of a standalone franchise mascot, similar to DK or Yoshi, I went with him over Luigi to diversify things a bit more.

Replace Marth with Chrom, and it’d be more believable.
I thought about going with Chrom, but ultimately decided to go with the OG FE lord instead. Not as popular as Awakening, I know, but you gotta pay the original his dues, haha.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Also did 2 stages each
*: Unlocks

1. Mario
-Mario Galaxy & Mario Maker

2. Link
-Great Plateau Tower & Hyrule Castle

3. Pikachu
-Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2

4. Kirby
-Green Greens & Fountain of Dreams

5. Samus
-Brinstar & Frigate Orpheon

6. Takamaru*
-NES Remix 1 & 2

7. Anna
-Colliseum & Castle Seige

8. Villager
-Town & City & Tortimer Island

9. Mii*
-Wuhu Island & Tomadachi Life

10. Inkling
-Moray Towers & Octo Canyon

11. Kos-Mos*
-Gaur Plains & New LA

12. Sonic*
-Green Hill Zone & City Escape

Last edited:

NintenEdgyMan

Smash Apprentice
Due to smash not existing, there would be no reviving of Fire Emblem, Kid icarus, F-zero, and Earthbound, they would be gone.

:ultmario::ultlink::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultsamus::ultdk:

The 6 icons need to be there

:ultvillager::ultsonic::ultmewtwo::ultpacman::ultmegaman::ultluigi:

I chose Villager due to Animal Crossings new popularity, the 3rd parties because they are icons, Mewtwo because he is arguably not popular than Pikachu, and Luigi because he is very popular.

Top Bottom