• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If Palutena's Guidance does not return, what do you think would replace it?

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Many have requested that Palutena's Guidance returns in the upcoming Smash complete with updated info so they could talk about any players that were DLC in Wii U/3DS.
If it doesn't return, what would you want to take its place?
Some ideas include Biff from Arms or the Squid Sisters from Splatoon.

It may be easier to get Biff or Callie & Marie so they could do specific guidance on EVERY fighter INCLUDING the future DLC fighters if they come. Biff's commentating would only require one voice actor if he talks and the Squid Sisters speak in gibberish clips that can be reused.

Last edited:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I would say the Squid Sisters, but you bring up a good point about the gibberish. So far the dialogue has all been voice acted, which helps so you can listen while still playing which is something you wouldn't be able to do if you had to read the dialog.

I'd like for Snake to come back, although I don't have much hope for that, and I wasn't a big fan of Kid Icarus Uprising, so... I don't know?

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Squid Sisters with "translated" voices would be pretty cool. They could even revolve between Pearl, Marina, Marie, and Callie.

Zelda from BoTW works assuming they want to use a popular tie in, maybe use the various Champions.

They could use a Wario Ware mini game (the interview one) and have it where the characters describe themselves briefly, which would be awesome due to variation/different voices/different ways of speaking (sassy Bayonetta pls).

Speaking of Bayonetta, having her be a profile-narrator would be purely magical.

Perhaps Xenoblade 2 shenanigans? Assuming they replace Shulk with Rex.

WFT and Coach (Lil Mac's coach) would be pretty fun too.

There's plenty of options. Maybe using a mix of them would be fun. Personally, I'd put Bayo at the top of my list because her way of speaking is just gr8 out of 8.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Biff's commentary for an ARMS stage would rock, especially if they got they guy who voices him in the trailers instead of his Simlish.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Ever since Mac was announced for Smash 4, I've wanted Doc Louis' take on the fighters similar to how he talks about who you're fighting against in Punch-Out Wii, I always referred to it as "Doc's Advice" and I'd love to see it happen, although I doubt it would after not seeing it in Smash 4. I'd be down with Biff commentating, though, that'd be pretty fun.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
I don't see why we couldn't have both Palutena's Guidance and another codec-style easter egg. The only reason we only had Palutena's Guidance in 4 is because Snake got cut.

It's tough to say if Nintendo would be willing to make one for the Squid Sisters when you have to look at the words to know what they're saying. You wouldn't be able to listen when you're fighting. If they don't do the Squid Sisters, it'll probably be the Champions from BOTW.

Crazy456Rhino

Smash Rookie
Assuming Paper Mario got in, maybe Goombella (I just like her more than Goombario) could use her Tattle ability and that could be the Codec. Of course, Paper Mario wouldn't be able to talk back, but maybe other party members would talk instead? Idk, I just think it would be cool.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Noting would compare
But I guess Biff from arms
I’d rather have Callie and Marie playable

Last edited:

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
i'm a zelda guy so the champions and/or zelda sound good to me. revali might comment on falco's resemblance to the rito, or daruk could mention wanting to challenge bowser himself. mipha seems the type to gush over how soft and adorable kirby is, and based on some of her dialog from botw, i could see urbosa having some scathing words for ganondorf... although, part of the fun of snake's codec calls and palutena's guidance was the character interaction. the champions just talking at you might not feel the same :/

then again, since there's no way we're losing pit any time soon, i'd have no argument against just leaving it in palutena's capable hands. edit: oh heck wait whoops, that not happening was kinda the point of the thread. never mind

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Didn't Melee, Brawl and Smash 4 all have the Star Fox characters have a codec too?

I'd root for Doc Louis's advice. Palutena's Guidance was obnoxious and didn't capture the charm of Snake's codecs, and the difference between "give me intel on this character" vs "let's tell wacky jokes that might pertain to a character" was probably why. I can see boxing advice being a lot closer to the codecs; it'll always pertain to their fighting style, there'll always be some useful information and you can have understated, dry jokes.

If it has to be a third party character, then I'd like to see a custom results screen between Ryu and one other fighter when on the Street Fighter stage where the winner says a line insulting the loser (think "Go home and be a family man!"). So if Ryu wins, he has a line directed at one other player ("Your range is one jump-punch short!"). If Ryu loses, the winner has a line directed at him ("Thank-a you so much for playing my game! Bye-bye!"). These wouldn't necessarily need to be voiced; they could be text only like the original SFII.

Top Bottom