• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If only 30 characters returned...

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Ever since that bombshell of an interview yesterday, it seems a lot of people are thinking about the direction the next Smash game will take. Particularly, veterans seem to be the centre of the conversation, as it seems less and less likely that "Everyone is here!" will be a consistent thing. Many people have theorized that the next game will be a pseudo-reboot and do away with much of the roster. While I'm not entirely sold on the idea, it does make for a fun conversation piece. Let's assume the worst case scenario: for this hypothetical Smash reboot, only 30 characters return from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Who do you think would be the ones to make the cut and why? Feel free to share rosters and rational.

To start, here's my 30 veteran roster:
30 Roster.png

-I don't think I need to explain the original 8. They all lead some of Nintendo's most iconic franchises and are still very popular to this day.
-:ultluigi: is a no-brainer. He's the number 2 in Nintendo's biggest series. Plus, he's been around since day 1.
- Much like how Luigi is Nintendo's main sidekick, :ultpeach: and :ultbowser: are Nintendo's leading lady and villain respectively. It would be weird to not have them hanging around.
- Seeing how DK is a major seller for Nintendo, it would be weird to leave him stranded as a singular character like in the Melee days. As such, it only made since that :ultdiddy: would return. I guess I could've brought K. Rool back instead, but it would feel weird to have him without DK's little buddy.
-:ultwario: is the star of two separate series, along with being a mainstay in the Mario cast. While it may seem a bit excessive to have this many characters associated with Mario in such a small roster, Wario simply feels too important to leave out.
-I choose :ultlittlemac: and :ultduckhunt: as the retro reps, simply because I feel their games have had the greatest impact in the Nintendo legacy among the NES bunch. This was a difficult decision, as all the NES characters bring interest move sets to the table. However, I felt leaving it to the 2 most iconic characters would leave enough room to fill out the rest of the roster while respecting Nintendo's past.
-Seeing how The Legend of Zelda is Nintendo's 3rd biggest series (well, 4th if you count the Wii brand, but still pretty important!), it only felt right to bring back another character from this series. Much like with Diddy and DK, it would feel weird to choose a character that wasn't :ultzelda: for this position, especially since her name is in the title of the series! Plus, she adds some nice girl power to the roster.
-Admittedly, :ultganondorf: made my list by the skin of his teeth. I probably could've left him out for something like another retro character or maybe even the Mii Fighters, but I felt that Zelda was important enough to get a third character instead. Plus, something just feels good with all 3 pieces of the Triforce being present.
-After all the effort it took to get :ultridley: in the game, it would be a shame to see him go so soon! Metroid is definitely large enough to justify having two veterans and I'd much rather see Ridley return than Zero Suit or Dark Samus, seeing how he's more unique and important to Metroid than those two.
-It was tough choosing between Dedede and Meta Knight for who would rejoin alongside Kirby. However, I ultimately ruled in favour of :ultkingdedede: for being generally more important to Kirby and having a more unique moveset.
-Sakurai likes himself some Kid Icarus, so :ultpit:'s return was another no-brainer. It's a little sad to see him as an only child again though, but keeping things at 30 required some brave sacrifices.
-Speaking of no-brainers, :ultness:. He's been with the series since day one, he's got a unique moveset, a large fanbase, and Earthbound seems to only be getting more and more popular as time goes on.
-Animal Crossing has proven itself to be more than that weird Japan-only N64 game it started as, it's become one of Nintendo's most prolific franchises. That, combined with his extremely unique gameplay, more than justifies :ultvillager:'s return.
-Some may call it cheating to bring :ultpokemontrainer: back as a complete entity, but I'm gonna do it anyway. :ultsquirtle: and :ultcharizard: are iconic and popular enough to rival Pikachu himself! And what :ultivysaur: lacks in the iconic status, he more than makes up for with a unique moveset. I also brought :ultmewtwo: back for a similar reason. He's iconic, well-liked, and has a unique playstyle.
-If you had to have one Fire Emblem character, it's going to be :ultmarth:. He's the face of the franchise and his name has become synonymous with both his own home series and Smash Bros. Plus, his playstyle is consistently popular across all the entries he appears in.
-Choosing only one of the 6 remaining Fire Emblem characters to return was tough. It got even tougher once I narrowed it down between Ike and Robin. Ultimately, I went with :ultrobin:, as he has the most unique playstyle of the group and he is from the series' most popular entry.
-It's not a Smash Bros game without :ultfalcon:. F-Zero may be dead, but Falcon is still one of the most popular fighters of the bunch. There's just no way to proceed without him.
- :ultolimar:,:ultshulk:, and :ultinkling: all fall under the same justification. These three hail from some of Nintendo's most recent successes at creating new IPs. Their series continue to only grow and gain significance as time goes on. Plus, they all have one-of-a-kind playstyles that would be sorely missed.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
For starters, people would riot in the streets if only 30 fighters returned. I'm sure that won't happen, and Nintendo will give Sakurai a lot of leg room to design the next game (gotta hate Japanese work ethic).

But, if only 30 fighters returned....
Original 8 (8/30):
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu:
Iconic sidekicks/bosses/characters:
:ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultridley::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer:(The game counts PT as 1 fighter) (19/30)
Characters to rep other series:
:ultfalcon::ultness::ultwario::ultmarth::ultpit::ultvillager::ultshulk::ultinkling::ultolimar: (28/30)
Third party guests:
:ultsonic::ultsimon: (30/30)

UserKev

Smash Champion
The original 12, Bowser, Peach, Falco, Marth and Ganondorf, Game and Watch, Pit, Wario, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Olimar, Wii Fit, Little Mac, Shulk, Inkling, Ridley, Isabelle, and K. Rool all stay.

Pokémon Trainer, Bowser Jr. and Lucas are the most obvious to be removed. I can see Dedede and Meta Knight fighting for a sloth but I still went with King Dedede because he's more unique. I can see Zelda being removed, honestly. Wolf is easily out. There is no third party in a Smash reboot.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I don't know the validity, but I heard SSBU was either everyone returns, or a roster cut by a third. If we have 75 characters (not including echo fighters and treating Pokemon Trainer as one person, rather than one set), then a third of the roster would be 25 characters. One could only dream! The only problem is that I suspect non-Mario characters would get shafted. Well, the original 12 would probably return, leaving us with only 13 characters left. If it had to be this way, then I'd settle for the following.

Mario
Donkey Kong
Link
Samus
Yoshi
Kirby
Fox
Pikachu
Luigi
Captain Falcon
Ness
Jigglypuff
Marth
Pit
Bowser
King K. Rool
Ganondorf
Ridley
King Dedede
Wolf
Mewtwo
Black Shadow
Porky
Medeus
Medusa

BowserKing

Smash Lord
So I take it that there will be no newcomers

Here is my choice

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultyoshi::ultlink::ultzelda:
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultinkling::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultwolf:
:ultsamus::ultridley::ultolimar::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultpit::ultcorrinf::ultduckhunt::ultsonic::ultmegaman:

It was a tough choice, but they will be the returning characters, unless DLC prevails.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
For me, it'd look like this:

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultyoshi:
:ultwario::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultolimar::ultinkling:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultridley:
:ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultfalcon::ultlittlemac:
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultfox::ultness:
:ultmarth::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultshulk::ultpit:

The Mario series characters are a given, so there's no need to really elaborate there. Donkey Kong himself is also a given, though I was debating on whether Diddy or K Rool should be the second one. I went with Diddy because I feel he's more iconic. Olimar and Inkling also both represent popular ongoing franchises (though the latter moreso than the former).
Link, Zelda and Ganondorf are also a given, as is Samus. I decided to keep Ridley because he's very popular, iconic for his franchise, and a villain, which is good enough to keep him.
The Kirby trio also feels like a given to me, though I'll admit that between Dedede and Meta Knight, one or the other could realistically not make it. Captain Falcon is in a way one of Smash's mascots, so he honestly belongs in any kind of Smash game, reboot or not. For Little Mac. . . I admittedly don't have much of a reason.
Now, Pokémon. Pikachu is, once again, a given. Mewtwo is probably one of the most popular ones that are playable right now. Lucario meanwhile is, in my experience, the most popular Pokémon from later generations, so of course it would stay. It helps that those three would have a small, big and medium height dynamic going on between them. Fox is the sole representative of his franchise because he covers it pretty well, and no one else besides him is really needed, in my eyes. Ness I could see being very likely to cut in a situation where even the original 12 are not off-limits, but he does stay because of that status.
Now, for Fire Emblem. . . Marth is a given. He's essentially FE's mascot, besides Anna. Robin and Corrin are there for gameplay variety, although I could see Corrin being exchanged for Ike to represent more eras of the series. Shulk is pretty much Xenoblade's equivalent to Marth, and his series is steadily growing, so he stays (also grouped with the FE character because of gameplay similarities). Lastly, Pit, because he was probably the most well-included retro character that was ever put into Smash.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
To narrow it down to 30 is... hard, to say the least.

But such a small roster would open up to a possibly more balanced roster, so it's not like we're only losing.

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultyoshi:
:ultwario::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultolimar::ultrob:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultridley:
:ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultfalcon::ultlittlemac:
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultinkling:
:ultfox::ultmarth::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultpit:

Now obviously some of these are personal picks, but honestly, trying to chop a roster in half is going to make no one happy. So I went with personal picks, but without being too biased.

I also believe that theres some options to make some characters alternate costumes. Like Peach and Daisy. Or Pit and Dark Pit.

Last edited:

KingDoop

Smash Cadet
to begin, I would start with major protagonists and their villains

:ultmario::ultbowser::ultlink::ultganondorf::ultdk::ultkrool::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultsamus::ultridley::ultfox::ultwolf:

then, add popular single rep characters and heroes with no villians

:ultinkling::ultvillager::ultmarth::ultfalcon::ultness::ultpit::ultshulk:

Following this, add in notable secondary characters, leaving us with:
:ultmario::ultbowser::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultyoshi:
:ultlink::ultganondorf::ultzelda:
:ultdk::ultkrool::ultdiddy:
:ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight:
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff::ultgreninja:
:ultsamus::ultridley:
:ultfox::ultwolf:
:ultmarth::ultike:
:ultinkling::ultvillager::ultfalcon::ultness::ultpit::ultshulk:

What I was going for is kind of a back to basics approach. Took out anyone with a meter or some kind of gimmick. Though inkling sort of fits that description, I gave them a pass since their Nintendo's newest icon. Also wanted to make sure lots of unique playstyles are still available... particularly among the swordies. My last spot was between ZSS, sheik, and greninja. Went with greninja only cause he's his own character while zss and sheik are alternate samus and Zelda

Last edited:

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Ever since that bombshell of an interview yesterday, it seems a lot of people are thinking about the direction the next Smash game will take. Particularly, veterans seem to be the centre of the conversation, as it seems less and less likely that "Everyone is here!" will be a consistent thing. Many people have theorized that the next game will be a pseudo-reboot and do away with much of the roster. While I'm not entirely sold on the idea, it does make for a fun conversation piece. Let's assume the worst case scenario: for this hypothetical Smash reboot, only 30 characters return from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Who do you think would be the ones to make the cut and why? Feel free to share rosters and rational.

To start, here's my 30 veteran roster:
View attachment 224561
-I don't think I need to explain the original 8. They all lead some of Nintendo's most iconic franchises and are still very popular to this day.
-:ultluigi: is a no-brainer. He's the number 2 in Nintendo's biggest series. Plus, he's been around since day 1.
- Much like how Luigi is Nintendo's main sidekick, :ultpeach: and :ultbowser: are Nintendo's leading lady and villain respectively. It would be weird to not have them hanging around.
- Seeing how DK is a major seller for Nintendo, it would be weird to leave him stranded as a singular character like in the Melee days. As such, it only made since that :ultdiddy: would return. I guess I could've brought K. Rool back instead, but it would feel weird to have him without DK's little buddy.
-:ultwario: is the star of two separate series, along with being a mainstay in the Mario cast. While it may seem a bit excessive to have this many characters associated with Mario in such a small roster, Wario simply feels too important to leave out.
-I choose :ultlittlemac: and :ultduckhunt: as the retro reps, simply because I feel their games have had the greatest impact in the Nintendo legacy among the NES bunch. This was a difficult decision, as all the NES characters bring interest move sets to the table. However, I felt leaving it to the 2 most iconic characters would leave enough room to fill out the rest of the roster while respecting Nintendo's past.
-Seeing how The Legend of Zelda is Nintendo's 3rd biggest series (well, 4th if you count the Wii brand, but still pretty important!), it only felt right to bring back another character from this series. Much like with Diddy and DK, it would feel weird to choose a character that wasn't :ultzelda: for this position, especially since her name is in the title of the series! Plus, she adds some nice girl power to the roster.
-Admittedly, :ultganondorf: made my list by the skin of his teeth. I probably could've left him out for something like another retro character or maybe even the Mii Fighters, but I felt that Zelda was important enough to get a third character instead. Plus, something just feels good with all 3 pieces of the Triforce being present.
-After all the effort it took to get :ultridley: in the game, it would be a shame to see him go so soon! Metroid is definitely large enough to justify having two veterans and I'd much rather see Ridley return than Zero Suit or Dark Samus, seeing how he's more unique and important to Metroid than those two.
-It was tough choosing between Dedede and Meta Knight for who would rejoin alongside Kirby. However, I ultimately ruled in favour of :ultkingdedede: for being generally more important to Kirby and having a more unique moveset.
-Sakurai likes himself some Kid Icarus, so :ultpit:'s return was another no-brainer. It's a little sad to see him as an only child again though, but keeping things at 30 required some brave sacrifices.
-Speaking of no-brainers, :ultness:. He's been with the series since day one, he's got a unique moveset, a large fanbase, and Earthbound seems to only be getting more and more popular as time goes on.
-Animal Crossing has proven itself to be more than that weird Japan-only N64 game it started as, it's become one of Nintendo's most prolific franchises. That, combined with his extremely unique gameplay, more than justifies :ultvillager:'s return.
-Some may call it cheating to bring :ultpokemontrainer: back as a complete entity, but I'm gonna do it anyway. :ultsquirtle: and :ultcharizard: are iconic and popular enough to rival Pikachu himself! And what :ultivysaur: lacks in the iconic status, he more than makes up for with a unique moveset. I also brought :ultmewtwo: back for a similar reason. He's iconic, well-liked, and has a unique playstyle.
-If you had to have one Fire Emblem character, it's going to be :ultmarth:. He's the face of the franchise and his name has become synonymous with both his own home series and Smash Bros. Plus, his playstyle is consistently popular across all the entries he appears in.
-Choosing only one of the 6 remaining Fire Emblem characters to return was tough. It got even tougher once I narrowed it down between Ike and Robin. Ultimately, I went with :ultrobin:, as he has the most unique playstyle of the group and he is from the series' most popular entry.
-It's not a Smash Bros game without :ultfalcon:. F-Zero may be dead, but Falcon is still one of the most popular fighters of the bunch. There's just no way to proceed without him.
- :ultolimar:,:ultshulk:, and :ultinkling: all fall under the same justification. These three hail from some of Nintendo's most recent successes at creating new IPs. Their series continue to only grow and gain significance as time goes on. Plus, they all have one-of-a-kind playstyles that would be sorely missed.
That roster looks about right, replace Diddy with K rool and you've got yourself a deal.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Melee Roster minus pichu, roy, and mr. game and watch.
The other characters would be Pit, Wario, Waluigi, Nes, Shulk, Sonic, and Pac-Man.

IF there was ever a short roster. Also while Sakurai does work very hard... Unlike Melee --> Brawl or Brawl --> Smash 4 a lot of elements from Ultimate have been recycled from Smash 4 so I'm sure his time with producing the game has been significantly reduced. Its very clear the movesets are the same for many characters with some slight changes here and there, the real focus for Sakurai is the new characters.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Only 30 veterans?

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultwario:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:
:ultpikachu::ultcharizard::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultgreninja:
:ultdk:
:ultmarth::ultroy::ultrobin:
:ultkirby::ultfox::ultshulk::ultinkling::ultvillager::ultolimar:
:ultsonic::ultpacman::ultmegaman::ultryu:

Extra stipulation: all Echo fighters come back.
:ultdoc: gets recloned, alongside :ultdaisy:, :ultchrom:,:ultlucina:, and re-cloned :ultfalco:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Where's my boi Falcon or Roy
Captain Falcon was considered, as with Ness, Jigglypuff and Marth (with Roy most likely being an alternate costume), but they will most likely be DLC or in the next game

FWI, here are the bonus fighters (in case there is time)

Newcomers: Fawful, Midna, Lugia, Adeleine, Muddy Mole and Shantae
Echoes: :ultdaisy:, Dark Bowser, Dixie Kong, :ultyounglink::ultpichu:, Octoling :ultfalco::ultdarksamus: :ultdarkpit: and Shadow

DLC: :ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultness::ultjigglypuff::ultbowserjr: and Krystal, with :ultlucina: and :ultlucas: being DLC echoes

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
Captain Falcon was considered, as with Ness, Jigglypuff and Marth (with Roy most likely being an alternate costume), but they will most likely be DLC or in the next game

FWI, here are the bonus fighters (in case there is time)

Newcomers: Fawful, Midna, Lugia, Adeleine, Muddy Mole and Shantae
Echoes: :ultdaisy:, Dark Bowser, Dixie Kong, :ultyounglink::ultpichu:, Octoling :ultfalco::ultdarksamus: :ultdarkpit: and Shadow

DLC: :ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultness::ultjigglypuff::ultbowserjr: and Krystal, with :ultlucina: and :ultlucas: being DLC echoes
Just have all of the similar fire emblem characters be on one slot and each alternate costume is a different character and the echoes you said could be the same way so you have a lot more characters

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ultimate Roster.png

Reasoning:

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff:

I'll always have the original 12 here, and not just because they're the originals, but also because I think from a gameplay standpoint they're incredibly important. I think the first nine of them are nailed on regardless, while Ness and Captain Falcon are really popular characters for novice players, as well as being the front figures for their respective franchises. When we're that far then we might as well put Puff in there as well, who I still think can carry her weight in this due to her unique yet simple moveset, even if she isn't important in Pokémon anymore she still gives a lot to Smash.

:ultmarth::ultgnw::ultpit::ultolimar::ultvillager::ultinkling:

These are the reps for other Nintendo series. Marth is the original FE Lord and has one of the most popular movesets in Smash history, AC and Splatoon just have to be in there, while Pit and Olimar are my picks for wider series representation. I think we need at least one out there character representing Nintendo's history as I feel those characters have always been widely appreciated and add a lot of flavor, and G&W does it the best imo.

:ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultwario::ultike::ultdiddy::ultpokemontrainer::ultkingdedede::ultridley:

Secondary characters/villains, most of which are self-explanatory. Pokémon Trainer over other Pokémon characters since he gives bang for buck and is super unique, and while it hurts not having K. Rool, I think Diddy just naturally takes priority. Ike over other FE characters due to popularity both within his own franchise as well as in Smash, I did briefly have Robin there for some new-age FE representation, but I think Ike is ultimately the better choice regardless of when he was made.

:ultsonic::ultmegaman:

Sonic just has to be there, and I've picked Mega Man for his close ties to Nintendo. I did consider Pac-Man, and even Cloud due to his huge popularity, but overall I'm happy enough with just these two as 3rd parties.

In general I've favored simpler characters as I made this under the assumption that any reboot would bring with it drastic gameplay changes, as such I think it's best to start out with a lot of basic characters and just a select few complex ones, and it also serves as a good base to build on later, whether through new installments or DLC. Little Mac, Mewtwo and Wolf were all battling for the last spot, but I ultimately went with Olimar.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Ooh this is a really tough one!

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultwario:
:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:
:ultsamus::ultridley::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultolimar:
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultincineroar::ultmarth::ultrobin::ultshulk:
:ultpit::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultvillager::ultinkling:

Here's my picks. Some VERY tough choices to make and it wasn't easy!

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
Ever since that bombshell of an interview yesterday
What interview are you referring to?

Personally, my main concern is whether Yoshi is in the game. So long as Yoshi is in the game (as a playable fighter), I like the game. Although Yoshi is my main priority, having Pikachu in the game is a priority as well.

In terms of which 30 would return, I'd say the original 8 and original 12 would return. Wii Fit Trainer would not return.

My 30-character roster:

:ultmario: :ultlink: :ultsamus: :ultyoshi: :ultpikachu:
:ultfox: :ultkirby: :ultdk: :ultness: :ultjigglypuff:
:ultluigi: :ultfalcon: :ultcharizard: :ultsquirtle: :ultivysaur:
:ultbowser: :ultbowserjr: :ultkrool: :ultsonic: :ultincineroar:
:ultlucario: :ultduckhunt: :ultgreninja: :ultisabelle: :ultdiddy:
:ultfalco: :ultpacman: :ultkingdedede: :ultpiranha: :ultridley:

If the roster was 35, the following 5 would be included as well:

:ultpeach: :ultcorrin: :ultgnw: :ultganondorf: :ultmewtwo:

Note that I list Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon as separate individual standalone fighters, with the Pokemon Trainer himself eliminated (similar to how Charizard was a standalone fighter in Smash 4). I would make Dr. Mario an alternate of Mario, and I would make Toon Link & Young Link alternates of Link (similar to how the Koopalings are alternates of Bowser Jr.) Note also that this roster is of characters already in the game, and does not include potential newcomers who have never been playable in the game, such as Waluigi, Birdo and Tails.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Not an easy task, but one I will try nonetheless. By the way, if the OP can bring back characters which can transform, I will too.

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultdk:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultmarth::ultike::ultrobin:
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer:
:ultgnw::ulticeclimbers::ultsamus::ultpit::ultness::ultfox:
:ultvillager::ultshulk::ultinkling::ultsnake::ultryu::ultsonic:

Being brought back from Smash Brawl, Zelda can transform into Sheik and vise versa. She will be using Down Taunt for this function in order for her to keep both Phantom Slash and Bouncing Fish. Likewise, Samus can transform into Zero Suit Samus and vise versa. This happens automatically through her two Final Smashes, but it can be canceled by holding the B Button as the Final Smash is ending.

Pokémon Trainer doesn't use the Generation I starters (Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard) anymore. Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo are all from Generation I and are in this game. Because of that, I think it is best if Pokémon Trainer represents starter Pokémon from some of the more modern Pokémon generations so not everything is older content. He/She will be using Greninja, Incineroar, and the (so far) unnamed final evolution of Grookey. He/She will be using Left and Right Taunt for this function in order for all three Pokémon to keep their respective Down Specials.

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I’ve actually thought about the idea of a reboot before, so I think I’ll do this topic then give out my actual list of new and returning.

Returning:
:ultmario::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultluigi:
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultlucario:
:ultinkling:
:ultvillager::ultisabelle:
:ultmarth::ultlucina::ultike:
:ultolimar:
:ultyoshi:
:ultshulk:
:ultmiifighters:

As for what I actually think the roster will be, I believe it’ll be a 3rd of the one we have now, but each character gets an all new move set.
:ultmario::ultbowser::ultluigi::ultpeach:
:ultlink: (Ganon) :ultzelda:
(Ash & :ultpikachu:) (Team Rocket & Meowth) (Gen ? Pokemon)
:ultinkling:(Octoling)
:ultmarth::ultlucina:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Original 8 (will always be in any list I make)
:ultmario::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultlink:

Original Hidden characters
:ultluigi::ultfalcon::ultness:

Melee
:ultgnw::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultzelda::ultmewtwo::ultmarth::ultganondorf:

Brawl (Counting Pokémon Trainer as 1 character)
:ultpokemontrainer::ultkingdedede::ultpit::ultmetaknight::ultwolf::ultdiddy::ultike:

Smash 4
:ultrobinf::ultshulk:

Ultimate
:ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
My 30* Character Roster
:ultmario::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultwario:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultpit::ultlittlemac::ultsamus::ultfalcon:
:ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultfox::ultisabelle::ultinkling:
:ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultmarth::ultrobin::ultness::ultshulk:
:ultgnw::ulticeclimbers::ultrob::ultduckhunt::ultwiifittrainer::ultmiifighters:

This is assuming Mii Fighters and Pokemon Trainer as one each. If not, add Luigi and Mewtwo back in.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Here's mine:
8::ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu:

16::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ulticeclimbers:

24::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultdiddy::ultfalco::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultrob:

30::ultbowserjr::ultrobin::ultmewtwo::ultpalutena::ultwario::ultryu:

Veteran Changes:
-:ultganondorf:gets his CD-I design
-:ultmario:uses Cappy as his side special
-:ultkirby:has more Copy Abilities (like Parasol or Jet with Whip as a tether)
-:ultyoshi:his Neutral Special is Egg Roll with Side changed to Egg Throw (his tongue is a tether, The Egg Roll is like Jigglypuff's Neutral but faster and controllable)
-:ultkingdedede:Side Special is his hammer spin (from the Masked Dedede fight in KSSU)
-:ultwario:New moveset to represent the Land games

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultkrool:
:ultyoshi::ultlink::ultganondorf::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultridley:
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpokemontrainer:
:ultfox::ultwolf::ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultness:
:ultfalcon::ultpit:( I ) :ultlittlemac::ultinkling::ultmegaman:

If echoes are not counted as characters, then this is actually 34 characters because of Lucina, Chrom, Dark Samus, and Dark Pit.

So the perfect attendance crew (or original 12 if you prefer it) are all back for very obvious reasons. They’re the foundation on which Smash was built and have earned their places. I tried to give franchises representation in equal proportion to their relevance so Mario, being what it is, gets four representatives while Splatoon, being a smaller and much more recent franchise, only gets the one. I also prioritized villains over secondary protagonists, which is why you’ll see I chose K. Rool and Wolf over Diddy and Falco. People like villains. I gave first-party franchises priority, Mega Man being the exception because he’s been on so many Nintendo consoles that he may as well be their property. The (I) icon stands for Isaac, because he should have been in a long time ago, let’s be real.

I’m pretty happy with this roster. If (God forbid) there were ever to be a thirty-character limit, I think this would be the perfect lineup.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Also, I’m just realizing. A 30 character roster means that we’ve cut 52 fighters (our roster size will be 82 at the end of the Fighter’s Pass)...

That’s actually an absurd number of cuts when you think about it and I don’t think there’s a way a future Smash will not be heavily criticized for dropping the roster soooo low. I don’t think a future Smash game will get away with cutting even half the roster, or at the very least, I don’t see them dropping it so low given Smash’s reputation. 40 sounds a lot more reasonable and is at least only half as opposed to 2/3rd. I know the idea was derived from Sakurai’s 1/3rd comment, but let’s be realistic, Sakurai has always been wrong about the limits of Smash in the past (though I think Ultimate is probably the true one after nearly 20 years of saying Smash was at said limit haha).

I’ve commented many times on this issue, but realizing just how kind of absurd 52 cuts sounds kind of hit me once I realized we have 80 characters haha.

D

Deleted member

Heres my roster

:ultmario::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
:warioc::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultkirby:
:ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultfox::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo:
:ultlucario::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultike::ultgnw::ultpit:
:ultpalutena::ultlittlemac::ultshulk::ultmegaman::ultsimon::ultbayonetta:

I'll write my reasoning on another day lol

Edit: Wario's moveset reflects his real line of games the Wario Land series and Megaman X is the one that gets in smash. And i feel like almost all of my choices are self explanatory except for 5 of them

:ultgnw: - Imo there needs to be one oddball character, especially in a game like smash

:ultlucario: - Gen 4 bias

:ultfalcon::ultfox::ultwolf: - Amazing franchises that only suffer because of Miyamoto

Last edited by a moderator:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultsamus::ultfox::ultolimar:
:ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo::ultlucina::ultrobin::ultbyleth::ultinkling::ultness:
:ultpit::ultfalcon::ultvillager::ultgnw::ultrob::ultwario:

No 3rd parties, mix between old and newer characters who've remained popular. And a few retro characters for the legacy.

BigRedMonster07

Smash Cadet
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultfalcon::ultness::ultjigglypuff:: original 12
:ultbowser::ultganondorf::ultwario:: iconic villiains
:ultpokemontrainer:: unique moveset
:ultgreninja:: most fitting rep of modern pokemon (I am no filthy gen 1er)
:ultdiddy:: almost as iconic as donkey kong
:ultzelda:: we need the complete triforce
:ultmarth:Legacy character

:ultrobin:: unique fire emblem character (who the heck asked for Corrin?)
:ultgnw:: oldest series in smash
:ultisabelle:: more of an animal crossing mascot than villager
:ulticeclimbers:: wobbling and chain grabbing
:ultmiifighters:: the wii was a eureka moment in Nintendo history
:ultmetaknight:: brawl dominance
:ultpit:: hard to picture ssmb without

BigRedMonster07

Smash Cadet
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultfalcon::ultness::ultjigglypuff:: original 12
:ultbowser::ultganondorf::ultwario:: iconic villiains
:ultpokemontrainer:: unique moveset
:ultgreninja:: most fitting rep of modern pokemon (I am no filthy gen 1er)
:ultdiddy:: almost as iconic as donkey kong
:ultzelda:: we need the complete triforce
:ultmarth:Legacy character

:ultrobin:: unique fire emblem character (who the heck asked for Corrin?)
:ultgnw:: oldest series in smash
:ultisabelle:: more of an animal crossing mascot than villager
:ulticeclimbers:: wobbling and chain grabbing
:ultmiifighters:: the wii was a eureka moment in Nintendo history
:ultmetaknight:: brawl dominance
:ultpit::ultfalco:: hard to picture ssmb without

:ultsonic::ultpacman:: iconic and famous 3rd party

BigRedMonster07

Smash Cadet
I’ve actually thought about the idea of a reboot before, so I think I’ll do this topic then give out my actual list of new and returning.

Returning:

As for what I actually think the roster will be, I believe it’ll be a 3rd of the one we have now, but each character gets an all new move set.
Ash is an anime character and probably won’t make it in smash (I prefer Red myself).

BigRedMonster07

Smash Cadet

Returning:

Ash is an anime character and probably won’t make it in smash (I prefer Red myself).

Firox

Smash Master
Man, 30 characters is pretty brutal. Personally, I'm gonna have to go with each of the most iconic heroes and their villains, followed by fully original movesets. I'm assuming that echos are included and don't count towards the 30:

:ultmario::ultbowser::ultwario:
:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:
:ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo::ultgreninja:
:ultmarth::ultrobin:
Super Iconic/Originals: :ultsonic::ultsnake::ultcloud::ultmegaman::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultinkling::ultness:
Assumed echos: :ultdoc::ultyounglink::ultdarksamus::ultpichu::ultlucina:

Yeeeeaaaah, if the next Smash looked like this, I'd be sticking with Ultimate until further notice.

:ultfalcon::ultfox::ultwolf: - Amazing franchises that only suffer because of Miyamoto
I saw this and just had to agree. Absolutely love Starfox and it has so potential but, mother of ****, Nintendo needs to put someone competent over the next one. It really isn't that hard to make a cool sci-fi flight sim. I mean, freaking Starlink did Starfox more justice than Zero did.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
:ultmario::ultlink::ultdk::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultsamus::ultfalcon::ultsonic:
:ultluigi::ultzelda::ultdiddy::ultkingdedede::ultpokemontrainer::ultridley::ultness::ultmegaman:
:ultpeach::ultganondorf::ultkrool::ultmarth::ultjigglypuff::ultfox::ultvillager:
:ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultrobin::ultmewtwo::ultfalco::ultolimar:

That's my ideal 30 character roster. Not too bias and mostly iconic characters that are also important to their franchises. But oh sweet lady Palutena, Banjo & Kazooie, and Meta Knight I will miss y'all so.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu:
:ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff:
No questions there. You can't just exclude them.

:ultbowser::ultdiddy::ultganondorf::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultlittlemac::ultmarth::ultmetaknight::ultgnw::ultolimar::ultpeach::ultpit::ultcharizard::ultshulk::ultvillager::ultwario::ultwolf::ultzelda:

For :ultmetaknight:, :ultkingdedede: could come in. Not really sure here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom