• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If Melee is on the Switch VC, would you want things to be changed?

If Melee is on Switch VC, should changes be made to it?

• Yes

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 66.7%

• Total voters

DPKdebator

Smash Apprentice
Considering the fact that Melee may get ported to the Nintendo Switch's Virtual Console, would you like to see aspects of the game changed/added onto (i.e. new stages, character balance)?

Raycu

Smash Apprentice
I want G&W l cancel, and Roy buffs. This may not be the most popular of opinions, but I feel like balancing out some low tier characters really would improve the melee meta game.

JFB (JurgaBurgaFlintines)

Smash Apprentice
Melee should not be changed. If anything, gamebreaking glitches (see the Pokemon Stadium glitch) should be fixed and that is it. I would rather preserve the integrity of Melee rather than add other things to it. It's just a port and nothing else.

Acryte

Smash Ace
All buffs no nerfs... or no changes. Online regardless and player ranks/matchmaking.

TheBoyFromNowhere

Smash Rookie
I want G&W l cancel, and Roy buffs. This may not be the most popular of opinions, but I feel like balancing out some low tier characters really would improve the melee meta game.
really they need to look at SD remix and do that.

Spurdo

Smash Apprentice
I wonder how people would react if Fox was made worse than Donkey Kong.
The salt from Melee players would be hilarious, and then everyone would just ignore the new version and go back. Even if Fox got the slightest nerfs there would be so much rage and butthurt. Fox has been around for so long that even putting the words "Fox" and "nerf" in the same sentence is total heresy.

Even if there are no changes, Melee players aren't likely to use it. Remember, we still need to play on CRTs to get those frame perfect inputs, so unless through some kind of miracle Nintendo rectified this issue, a Switch version will be ignored no matter what.

Last edited:

Smash Apprentice
Remember, we still need to play on CRTs to get those frame perfect inputs, so unless through some kind of miracle Nintendo rectified this issue, a Switch version will be ignored no matter what.
I wouldn't quite say that. As long as Nintendo correctly emulates the game so that there is very little to no additional input lag, we can hook the Switch up to an Asus or BenQ gaming monitor. Sure it won't be as lagless as a CRT, but it gets extremely close, to the point where it's hard to notice a difference.

Spurdo

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't quite say that. As long as Nintendo correctly emulates the game so that there is very little to no additional input lag, we can hook the Switch up to an Asus or BenQ gaming monitor. Sure it won't be as lagless as a CRT, but it gets extremely close, to the point where it's hard to notice a difference.
BenQ monitors are pretty pricey, though. Those can't exactly be the most efficient for larger tournaments. What makes CRTs so used today is that you can pick one up at a thrift shop for like 20 bucks, and they've got shelves of them.

Charmilio

Smash Apprentice
Nothing, as soon as you introduce balance changes, you're going to schism the melee community even more than netplay does. 'Melee HD' needs to be 1:1, no new stages, characters, any of that ****. If it does anything outside of upping the texture res and adding some antialiasing, **** will hit the fan so fast in the tourney circuit. I can promise you're going to see 2nd placers John super hard saying "Oh, I'm not used to old Melee/Melee HD is too different!" and contest placings, and then events/TOs might start making one mandatory over the other and all of a sudden you have a PAL v NTSC debate but on a MUCH larger scale, and if the big N spots the scene not using it, there goes all the 'support' they were offering (not that I think we need that in the first place, as far as I'm concerned Nintendo's support is something we haven't needed since they decided to ban us from Evo) and we look a lot less appealing to advertisers on the whole. Melee HD as a concept is stupid anyways, Dolphin exists and will look exponentially better than ANYTHING Nintendo could put out outside of completely remaking textures. New stages are arguably the only thing that would be welcome, and even so that still feeds into the previous issue I mentioned.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
I feel like cosmetic changes would be cool, but any mechanical changes would be unwelcome

Smash Apprentice
BenQ monitors are pretty pricey, though. Those can't exactly be the most efficient for larger tournaments. What makes CRTs so used today is that you can pick one up at a thrift shop for like 20 bucks, and they've got shelves of them.
While I do agree with you on the fact that CRTs are significantly cheaper, they are much more of a hassle to ship since they are so huge and heavy. On top of that, CRTs don't last forever and are being thrown out frequently. Though this probably matters less, the input lag for the same flatscreen monitor is more consistent than 30 different CRTs. Finally, being able to use regular monitors would open up a door for a sponsorship from BenQ or Asus for tournaments. For national tournaments, this would work. For locals and regional, however, CRTs still reign supreme.

Last edited:

JasonKaroshi

Smash Apprentice
I agree with changes, but only game-breaking ones that interfere with the game. Like the invisible ceiling glitch or people clipping through PStadium.

Top Bottom