• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If I made an Original Platform Fighter (character designs)

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
One of the biggest things on my bucket list was to Platform Fighter like Smash Bros. But I don't know squat about game design or coding (trust me I've tried) when it comes to games I've always seen myself as the idea guy rather than the guy behind the keyboard. But if there's one thing I do know it's what makes a balanced and fun platofrm fighting game that could be a decent mix between casual and competitive play.

So just for fun I decided to make a few original character designs and make movesets for them. I might make more for this page but for now I just wanted to share some ideas. Sense I want to become a webcomic artist; any if not all of these characters could be used for future projects.

So these are some characters I would make for an original platform fighter.

Emerald Fallin - One with Nature

"The world can be a dangerous place, and that's what I live for!"

Image: http://hotel-room-ciii.deviantart.com/art/Emerald-Fallin-One-with-Nature-660853814

Emerald Fallin is a young fallin (a species of human, wolf hybrids born with a natural gift of magic and advanced sense) who's always wanted to see every corner of the world. She knows how dangerous it can be, but she just loves adventure. To protect herself; she's trained herself to use the 4 elements: Fire, Water, Air & Forest. She's become a master of these elements to the point where she could manipulate them into stronger variations. Fire -> Lighting, Water -> Ice, Air -> Smoke, Forest -> Earth.

Emerald is a Projectile ranged character like Link, Samus & Snake. So she has very good crown control and has great control over the stage she is in.

She has decent speed and strength due to her experience. All of her standard moves from tilts, air attacks, smashes to grabs use the basic elements while her Specials use their stronger variation. Well except for one.

N. Special: Flame Wheel - even after all of this time, Lightning is the hardest thing for Emerald to control. Instead she has put her flames to use with her signature move the Flame Wheel. Pressed once, she will simply shoot out of single fire ball that will fire like Samus' lowest charged Charge Beam. But like the Charge Beam, Emerald can charge up the fireball and even keep the charge. When fully charged, she will shoot out a spinning wheel of fire that will explode on impact.

Side Special: Ice Trail - A projectile that is affected by gravity. Once shot, it will slice of the ground forming a trail that slides of the stage. If it comes into contact with any one it will crack and then carry the enemy a bit further causing multiples hits. It's not the best for knockback but good for keeping a distance for your opponent and causing damage. But beware, it could easily be reflected, blocked and even destroyed. If used in the air it will go down in an arc but if it hits an opponent it will shatter immediately and cause only a single hit of damage. As you can tell it's better used on the ground.

Up Special: 2nd Tail Smoke - Think of it like Pikachu's Quick Attack mixed with Wolf's Fire Wolf. Emerald will surround herself in smoke and charge in any direction you want her to causing multiple hits. She can do this a second time, which is why I also compared it to Quick Attack, but the 2nd go will be even stronger.

Down Special: Stone Edge - There's not a lot of imagination that went into this one. Basically, Zero Suit Samus' Down Special but with more power sense Emerald's leg will be covered in rocks. She can also flip in both directions now matter which way she's facing.

Final Smash: Lighting Dream - First she shoots a strike of lighting in the direction she's facing to hold everyone still. Then, shoots 4 electric balls from her limbs to cause more damage and hold her enemies. 2 Go under the said strike, and 2 go over. Then she finishes it off with multiple lighting strikes from the sky as the original strike ends and the balls of electricity explode. Attempting to touch Emerald is also suicidal as she will be constantly surrounded with sparks. Ironicly, her body, if any one comes into contact with it, will suffer the most damage and is almost guaranteed death.

Extra notes: She can us vines to grab opponents and edges from a distance, she can perform a Ness like double jump using wind (and yes she can cancel out of it) making her not just a Projectile Ranged fighter but also a Double Jump Cancel fighter, for her down tilt and down air (which is a meteor attack) she will use her tail.

Elizabeth Salem - Metal Guardian of Grace
"This Kingdom is mine and mine alone. No one will tarnish it's name!"

Image: http://hotel-room-ciii.deviantart.com/art/Unnamed-knight-character-660853816

Our Sword fighter with a rather special gift. She's a dual wield user but can use telekinesis to use to smaller knives. When she attacks the knives will perform their own attacks. However; they can be broken and cannot be regenerated until you lose a stock. But fret not, you don't need them to win, they're just a good asset much like Nana is to Popo.

N. Special: Cyclone Knife Throw - She will push one of her knives forward and only go 3 ft in front of her as they perform a multi-hit spinning attack. If the knife hits anyone before it hits its farthest range it will execute the move sooner. While the first knife is out she can use the Special move again to send out the second knife. However; she can't do it again until at least once of them comes back. The move can easily be guarded and reflected and is useless when both blades are destroyed.

Side Special: Zantusken - A chargeable move much like Ike's Side Special but with more on the lines of of movement. The move charges in power and distance and once released she will zoom forward faster than the speed of sound, performing a powerful slash attack. But the attack is more powerful in the middle as she will slash through them. The moment you see her almost disappear is when the attack is being released. However; she could leave herself very wide open for other attacks when the move is over since she puts a lot of energy into it.

Up Special: Blitz - Much like Link's up special she will spin upward performing multi hits of damage. During this her knives will give her more range. One the ground it's like the Whirling Fortress up special Bowser has. And it will have the same effect as well. The knives do the same thing do they before; give her more range.

Down Special: Hurricane Counter - Much like Corrin, this counter can't hit from both sides, but is more powerful in the direction she is facing. Once hit, she will spin around 2 times performing 2 powerful slashes from her blades. The Knives will do the same but will go father around Elizabeth's swords to give the attack more range.

Final Smash: Sword Rain - Think Ness & Lucas' Pk Star Storm but with giant swords falling from the sky. Powerful, during the phase Elizabeth will be given a temporary power up in strength and speed.

Extra Notes: Much like Mewtwo her grabs are based on telekinesis. She walks and runs like Cloud & Palutena. Her Dash Attack uses the ends of her dress as she spins around in a few circles. This is to show her grace and elegance!

Trivia: I base the 2 knives aspect on the boss fight between Sora & Roxas in Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix where Sora could temporarily use a similar move.

Sheldon Reiser King - The Engineer with a Vengeance
"Zis is my greatest creation and your greatest downfall!"

Image: http://hotel-room-ciii.deviantart.com/art/Unnamed-Armadillo-Mech-Character-660853821

Sheldon is a robotics engineer known for creating pieces of machinery originally to aid people who had suffered loses. Metal arms for those who had to be amputated, artificial organs for those in need of transplants, but the one thing he couldn't create was artificial emotion that felt human. You see, his lover left him for another man and he was left with a hole in his heart he couldn't repair. But he found out that he couldn't create love. So instead of trying to find someone else and focus on his work helping others; he decided to take his anger out on others but creating machines of war only he could use. "If I cannot find love, zen none of you should either!"

N. Special: Armo-Tank Mini Gun - The mech will crouch down on all fours as it will charge and shoot multiple bullets from the shoulder mini-guns. These don't cause too much knockback and are only used to rank up damage. But like King Dedede's Down Special, the longer you use it the more damage you could receive. Think of it as a mix between King Dedede's Down Special and Bayonetta's Neutral Special.

Side Special: Armo-Tank Charge - The Armo-Tank will charge forward with jets behind it causing a really powerful crash into any character he runs into. But the more it's used the less powerful it will become and it will even go less far. It can be used as a decent recovery attack as well. During his charge he will have super-armor to weak attacks like tilts and air attacks, but NOT to specials and smashes. Using a dash attack against the move will merely stop the mech in it's tracks while giving the damage of the attack, leaving it open to an opponent's attack.

Up Special: Armo-Tank Ball - His mech will get into a ball as jets on the back push him the in direction you choose. The distance isn't that great but it is a pretty powerful attack. It will unleash multiple hits for every 1/4th of a roll he makes. Using it on the ground can even result in extra rolling time.

Down Special: Armo-Tank Shot/Reload - When first used; Sheldon's mech will perform a 2-3 second animation that has to be completed. This is the Reload special and it's only purpose is prepare the Armo-Tank Shot! The Armo-Tank Shot is a powerful exploding projectile attack with great speed and power. After using the attack he will be left open for a short period of time.

Final Smash: Armo-Tank Air Strike - Using nearly all of it's power, almost making it meltdown, Sheldon makes the mech fly into the back as it shoots multiple large missiles from the back of the screen to where ever you aim. Think Snake's Final Smash but from behind the stage and with missiles. The move will finish with the mech crashing into the ground (where ever you choose as well) causing a mini nuclear explosion known as the Armo-Tank Nuclear Slam the most powerful attack from the mech.

Extra Notes: Like Bowser Jr, he receives more damage when you actually hit his body rather than the mech. Crouching at the right time has a chance of either destroying or even reflecting a certain projectile. Crouching also lets him suffer less knockback from explosions but he still will suffer the same damage. When crouching and using a shield his mech will get into a ball like in his up special.

Romaz Wolfgang - Bringing the Heavy Beats!!
"Even if I can't sing, I can't still play insane music. Using YOU as an instrument!"

Image: http://hotel-room-ciii.deviantart.com/art/Romaz-Wolfgang-654950671

(This image was made in January 2nd 2017)

Romaz is our Brawler fighter, so he's great with combos and up close attacks. He's always to get into the music business, but there was one problem. He can't sing! So he instead takes his passion to a different route being high beat music such as techno, dubstep & more. He's sort of the Skrillex of Platform Fighters.

N. Special: Thrusting the Bass - A very powerful Falcon Punch like move that uses multiple hits. Another thing that's different between this and the Falcon Punch is the range. Circular sound-waves spew from his gauntlets. Also his attack can be activated sooner by pressing the button again before the full attack is released, but this would make the attack weaker and have a smaller range.

Side Special: Zeus' Dubslammer - Romaz will leap forward in the air, flying in the direction you're facing. If you meet an opponent in the air, Romaz will cling on to them performing a powerful punch, much like Diddy Kong's side special move. But if you press the special button when NOT clinging on to any one; Romaz will clap his hands together to send a small sound-wave out. Breaking shields, destroying physical projectiles like arrows and harming his foe.

Up Special: Chorus Act - Romaz will perform a strong uppercut attack, but if you hit the special button again, you'll make him crash down into the ground. Think if Captain Falcon's Up special merge with Cloud's Up Special. But be warned, when crashing downward, you will not be able to grab any ledge, much like Cloud's already mentioned up special. The upper cut on it's own is pretty powerful one it's own and should mainly be used for kills. His second attack should be used to rank up damage or for meteor attacks.

Down Special: Heavy Metal - Think DK's Down special, but you actually have to time each button press for each attack. If you mess up the timing once or twice, that specific slam would activate sooner but much weaker than what it could've been. If you mess up too much, the move will causing damage on Romaz's body. Feeling the rhythm is important with this fighter!

Final Smash: Encore Performance - If Romaz is facing anyone and activates his ultimate move, they will become victim to multiple powerful punches he'll throw! You could easily let the combo based finisher go on it's own, but if you want to cause more damage and more knockback; use either the standard or special attack button and time their presses just right to go with his punches. Every time you hit the button perfectly; that specific punch will be stronger.

More is on the way! Being something I like to call a Slidy character. But with that being said, what are your thoughts? Would you want to play as Emerald, Elizabeth, Sheldon & his Armo-Tank or Romaz?

Last edited:

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Jesus Christ can someone tell me how to upload images?
I linked my image of Emerald in the image URL thing but it didn't work

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
4 characters added: A projectile ranged fighter, sword fighter, heavy fighter & a brawler!

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
These are awesome! Where can I see more of your art work?

I just wish my friend @CORY was here to see sheldon's A.R.M/O. specials.

Top Bottom