• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If I’m in Elite Smash how good am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo Popo

Smash Cadet
I really don't understand why people are so quick to write off Elite Smash, other than they can't get it and it makes them feel better denying it means anything. Back in the day Brawl's online was total garbage and the people who won the online tournaments were the same people winning the real tournaments. Fast forward to today and the input lag is barely noticeable in comparison. If you ask me, people were ready to dismiss elite smash before they even played the game. As a smasher that had to deal with the horror that was Brawl's online, I can't believe how ungrateful players are towards Ultimate's online and ranking system. The communities' stubborn unwillingness to accept it honestly ruins what could be a great system. If we organized a thread to keep track of the highest GSP values and who had them, the ranking system could actually be meaningful.

Put it this way. If you have elite smash, you might not be winning any tournaments, but if you can't get elite smash, you are definitely not winning any tournaments.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I really don't understand why people are so quick to write off Elite Smash, other than they can't get it and it makes them feel better denying it means anything. Back in the day Brawl's online was total garbage and the people who won the online tournaments were the same people winning the real tournaments. Fast forward to today and the input lag is barely noticeable in comparison. If you ask me, people were ready to dismiss elite smash before they even played the game. As a smasher that had to deal with the horror that was Brawl's online, I can't believe how ungrateful players are towards Ultimate's online and ranking system. The communities' stubborn unwillingness to accept it honestly ruins what could be a great system. If we organized a thread to keep track of the highest GSP values and who had them, the ranking system could actually be meaningful.

Put it this way. If you have elite smash, you might not be winning any tournaments, but if you can't get elite smash, you are definitely not winning any tournaments.
Try this discussion.

Anyone know what the current highest GSP is?

Lets keep this post updated as you spot them.

NOTE: This thread is NOT about your personal best GSP, unless your personal best GSP is also the highest GSP you've ever seen for that character.

NOTE 2: For the current GSP required to reach Elite Smash, go to http://www.elitegsp.com/

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
Not entirely true. I'm just outside of Elite Smash and I can still win a few handful of online tourneys. I've also seen many ppl who I play very often with (who are also not in ES) in tourneys, too, and sometimes they can even come out on top.

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
Not entirely true. I'm just outside of Elite Smash and I can still win a few handful of online tourneys. I've also seen many ppl who I play very often with (who are also not in ES) in tourneys, too, and sometimes they can even come out on top.
I think the fellow meant locals and above. Not online tournaments. Those are a joke.
Also, didn’t you say you purposely stay out of elite smash so you can plays more modes then 1v1. You’re not the most telling of examples since you literally hold back your own potential.

Last edited:

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
I think the fellow meant locals and above. Not online tournaments. Those are a joke.
Also, didn’t you say you purposely stay out of elite smash so you can plays more modes then 1v1. You’re not the most telling of examples since you literally hold back your own potential.
Ok well I haven't been completely honest. To tell the truth, it is not that I am purposely staying out of Elite Smash, but actually, I've never really made it into Elite Smash, despite having 9 months to try for it (I do have friends who have several characters in ES though). I might have said I preferred FFAs and team battles, but that doesn't mean I don't do 1 v 1s. I've just played 8 1 v 1s back to back and I only won 3 of them. I'm still working on my 1 v 1 game.

NNID
Marsalis
Switch FC
SW-5740-6547-7308
Ah... The "How good am I if i'm in Elite Smash" question. Ok hear me out:

"Elite Smash is determined by GSP which is defined as: "Global Smash Power", or GSP as it is commonly known, is a number that shows how much better you are at a character, game mode, or part of the game than other players in the world.
*Definition*: For example, if you have a GSP of 450,000, that means that you are better than 449,999 other people that play this game. The bigger your GSP rank, the better player you are. " (https://dotesports.com/fgc/news/what-is-gsp-and-how-does-online-work-in-super-smash-bros-ultimate )

With that being said GSP is supposed to be used as a ranking system to match you against players of "similar" skill level.

My Experience: I was granted Elite Smash about a week after the game came out, so I've been dipping in the Elite cool-aid for awhile now. In my experience if you can make it into Elite Smash, you aren't necessarily a"good" player, but you are "great" at something. I have over 550+ hours in the game, and have been playing consistently since the N64 (I just mention this for validity, nothing more)

1. Getting into Elite requires consistent wins, requiring a reliable strategy: It's no mystery that GSP calculations for 'W/L' can be harsh if not completely random at times. Yet despite these complications there still exists an "Elite" bracket. Many fighters found in Elite in my experience come into the fight with a "pre-determined" strategy, plan, or gimmick. Examples include: DK throwing opponents against the stage to gimp recovery, or luring opponents to the edge, Ness with good PK thunder mix-ups, or Joker's who focus on gimping. While i'm not saying these are "NEW FOUND" strategies, or ground breaking news, i'm saying that most players if not all of them in the Elite threshold have an -idea- of how they intend to kill your stock.

Personally: I'll mentally go into games and my -rough- plan is to gimp at ledge early by using Smash/Jump. My strategy changes based on the character i'm fighting as it's not a *static* strategy. If my opponent was Jigglypuff, I would change to Buster/Smash for an early kill instead of a gimp. The rest of the match would then develop off my initial strategy, and the opponents counter.

2. Requires game experience, match-up knowledge, and good attitude: There's no way to get around this one, but simply need time to gain experience with the game. One has to consider that many diverse people are playing smash, and that the skill differences will reflect that. You have many players that are new to the Smash Bros. scene, and many that have been playing since the N64. Some players come from other fighting games causing a "less severe" learning curve, some players are building careers off this game, and some people are simply playing for fun.

Despite any of this you will not improve without SUFFICIENT knowledge of the game, your character's match-up's, and having a good attitude. If you simply dismiss Elite, GSP, or such things (as that it is 'ok') you will have a difficult time maintaining Elite. ff you rage quit after every loss, every disadvantage, or every a** whopping, then you are simply watching your GSP, and tracking your 'status'. It will be difficult to track, and target where your play-style needs work, if your only focused on numbers as a determination of your *skill*. 5 million GSP doesn't tell me how i'm good, but losing to a Samus with Shulk at 5 million GSP and watching the replay "will" lead me to a better conclusion.

Personally: I have dipped in and out of Elite many times since the games release. It sucks honestly, it's a huge emotional hit when I see that Elite status icon disappear because I went for a gimp, and got gimped (hahaha). Hubris is the failing of men, but seriously if you are unable to keep a cool head while in Elite or against any opponent who can, you will outplay yourself. I have done it, and have watched opponents do it. Keep a cool head, re-strategize, and leave em bleeding, or pull something out your a**. If your using a non-ranged character, and your opponent is utilizing range as a deterrent, try and get some perfect shielding in to advance, practice your aerial game, or trying something unorthodox to confuse them or bring them in. There's more than one way to skin a cat, take that how you will.

Becoming proficient at this game simply takes time, even if you "feel" you should be better because of hours invested, friend's skill levels, or tournament comparison, your simply as good as where your at now, it's no reflection of your caliber as a human being, simply an indicator on where you need to improve *in this particular video game (SSBU), at this specific game type (Quickplay).*

3. Dynamic character, or character mastery: The final indicator I have noticed "personally" is the Characters that are displayed in Elite. Despite noticing that many characters in Elite are common among players (Mario, Zelda, Yoshi, DK, etc.) what separates them from less skilled players is the understanding they have of their character. Many players in Elite know their character well, as it's normally a main or experienced character. These players can usually pull of tech, maneuvers, and combo's you wouldn't readily expect from a 'typical' player. This gives advantage over a player that may not be as familiar with ONE character. This allows for players to maintain this status due to a very small % of players being readily able to pull off a particular tech, or combo. Think of it like Darwinism or survival-of-the fittest, The more mastery you have over a character and their tech, the more it will prove to be advantageous especially when fighting in Elite.

Personally: I have lost to players that have a better understanding of their character than I do, despite skill difference. If i'm only slightly familiar with a character and I go out too far to gimp, then the other player having a better understanding of their character wouldn't need to do anything other than bait me. The more versatile a character is, the more viable that said character is. You will notice that many characters that are considered top tier either: Do one thing REALLY well (:ultlucina:), or provide a good degree of mix-ups to stay viable (:ultyounglink:). As a player one should consider this when picking a main, but to stay viable in Elite, based on my experience you will need to find what advantages you personally have with a specific character and build on that. Stay creative and think outside the box.

So how good am I if i'm in Elite? I didn't come here for a story dude!:
Right, right yeah I get it. So how good am I if i'm in Elite?

Honestly I think that any player that makes it into Elite is... nothing special. A few good games, some skewed rules, or some cheap tricks will get you there by the end of a day, enough said.

Yet any player that is able to "Maintain" Elite is at least tournament viable. When playing Smash Bros. competitively you need to think of it as a sport, well it is... an Esport.

How good am I then?: I would say your pretty decent or even the coveted "Good". You have:

1. A higher grasp on the fundamentals that make the game work

2. You are able to keep a consistent attitude during fights

3. You know a character, gimmick, or combo REALLY well

4. Your able to mix-up gameplay, provide counters, and maintain a "neutral" game

5. Simply being able to read your opponent proficiently, and induce emotions consistently (this is called being a troll...)

6. Much Love for the game, and play to win or lose

Summary,

While it's hard to say for sure how good you are if your in Elite, I'd consider you better than average. While i'm not saying GSP, or Elite are a determination of skill, i'm saying that the road to maintaining Elite will require discipline, practice, and a true objective analysis of self. Just like any sport, you won't always be at your top game, and that's ok. If you lose, take a break. If you don't want to break, try a different character. I practiced Marth to learn spacing for Shulk, and Joker for Movement. There are way more than one way to skin a cat. Stay creative, stay humble, and most importantly stay hungry!

Solo Popo

Smash Cadet
You are correct. I meant real tournaments organized by the community offline.

Last edited:

Spoonfish

Smash Rookie
I've been in a limbo for months now, where one match gets me into Elite, I immediately lose, and get back to regular. I move back and forth every other game. This pretty much disables rematching for me. I can not rematch anybody, because the Elite prompt throws you back to the online menu screen.

Why is this not just invisible and part of the regular ranks?

TennisBall

Smash Journeyman
I've always seen Elite Smash as an endgoal, an objective to work towards. Now Quickplay is kind of broken so not everyone can even play it properly, but that's my view.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I've been in a limbo for months now, where one match gets me into Elite, I immediately lose, and get back to regular. I move back and forth every other game. This pretty much disables rematching for me. I can not rematch anybody, because the Elite prompt throws you back to the online menu screen.

Why is this not just invisible and part of the regular ranks?
I had that happen for a while. I'd get into Elite and then it was like I entered super hard mode and would lose immediately. I remember the first time I actually managed to win in Elite I was super excited. Eventually I'd start winning occasionally, maybe get 1-2 wins in deep, then lose and get knocked out. Now, most sessions I stay in and go about 50/50, and at any given time I'm usually about 5-10 wins deep into it, and it takes a pretty severe loss streak for me to get kicked out. Still happens though, especially if I start getting angry.

The barrier there certainly is difficult, especially because to get back in, you have to win like 75% of your matches, as one loss brings you like 3 wins away from the cutoff.

Last edited:

Love Tap

Smash Cadet
Yeah, that part sucks. It takes one match to get kicked out when you make it in but you have to win three or four to make it back.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
If it's good enough for Sakuri it's good enough for me. Since "good" is inherently subjective it seems to me to be a good a metric as any despite the plethora of cheap caviats and exploits that may be used by some to achieve it (you know who you are). Are you pro player good? Not by any strech of the imagination, but I would wager you wouldn't find yourself going 0-2 at most locals (at least in my region). Be proud of that achievement as it's still roughly the top 3.5% of that character, but understand that the majority of people who also go to irl tournaments are also in elite smash, so it's probobly the minimum expectation for somone to think their good as it wont hold much clout at a real tournoment.

Dilan Omer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dildry
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
Its bad now lol 6% and its so sad even at high elite you can farm these low elite players

It may have been sth legit in the past but now its a joke

Last edited:

Super Toaster

Smash Cadet
Its bad now lol 6% and its so sad even at high elite you can farm these low elite players

It may have been sth legit in the past but now its a joke
Top 6% is pretty good. 8.1.0 update only decreased it by .2 mil back to where it was a week before 8.1.0.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Getting into Elite Smash means you are consistently good at winning.

The question is, how are you winning? Through legit attempts of competitive gameplay? A gimmick that only works when no one has seen it before? Cheesing through lag? The answer is something only you can know.

Regardless, I say getting into Elite Smash means your skill is above average. Noobie Smashers don't magically waltz in there and if you have a gimmick that works well enough to get into Elite, then you obviously know enough about the game to develop that gimmick.

So... while Elite Smash may not show that you're good, I'd say it shows you're not bad.

Last edited:

Darkwarrior4789

Smash Rookie
Hello,
I’ve just joined and never posted on a gaming forum ever so please be kind!
I was brought up on Nintendo and was the best among my friends at Melee spending many many hours battling in Hyrule Temple. However I haven’t played any game since I owned a GC, until I bought the Switch.
I’ve reached Elite mode with Link and Cloud who’s my main and have had them there since Christmas.
How good are the Elite players? Some Reddit research implies its the top 3.5% but I doubt its that high? Sometimes I do get whipped so thinking I can’t be that good or
Hello,
I’ve just joined and never posted on a gaming forum ever so please be kind!
I was brought up on Nintendo and was the best among my friends at Melee spending many many hours battling in Hyrule Temple. However I haven’t played any game since I owned a GC, until I bought the Switch.
I’ve reached Elite mode with Link and Cloud who’s my main and have had them there since Christmas.
How good are the Elite players? Some Reddit research implies its the top 3.5% but I doubt its that high? Sometimes I do get whipped so thinking I can’t be that good or should I quit my job, enter the nearest tournament and take this on full time?? JK

Thanks friends,
Con One
I’m pretty sure elite smash entry is top 5% based on https://www.elitegsp.com/ and it does mean something as long as your rule set is legal, it means your good at online play and the game in general. Getting my hero into elite smash was a grind and I matched into good opponents so if your in elite smash your at least in the top 5% of gsp

Donkay

Smash Rookie
I'm not in Elite Smash with my main (Donkey) yet.

Took Bowser once for fun. The last time I played with him was in Brawl. I was lazy and relied on my foward smash dropkick most of the time. Somehow so many walked in there. So I fought my way to Elite Smash with Bowser in one session.

Depending on which players you fight on the way to Elite Smash, it is easier or harder.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I'm not in Elite Smash with my main (Donkey) yet.

Took Bowser once for fun. The last time I played with him was in Brawl. I was lazy and relied on my foward smash dropkick most of the time. Somehow so many walked in there. So I fought my way to Elite Smash with Bowser in one session.

Depending on which players you fight on the way to Elite Smash, it is easier or harder.
To be fair, getting to Elite isn't just about the players, but the character itself that you're playing. Elite seems to calculate your GSP based on the average performance of all other people that play that specific character. For example, I'm fairly good with Wolf but I had to STRUGGLE to get into Elite because of the sheer volume of people that also play Wolf well. Joker and Cloud have similar problems climbing with each win only offering a few hundred points once you get close to Elite. On the flip side, a much smaller percentage of competitive players use Ridley, so I was able to climb into Elite after just 5 or so easy wins as opposed to Wolf's required 10+ win streak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom