• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If assist trophies could become playable, who would your top 5 be to get converted?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
1. Midna.

**** the rest, that's all I need.

newsuperhackboys

Smash Cadet
5: Nintendog (Nintendog series):
It would funny to see a realistic dog as a playable character doing dog stuff. Somewhat similar to Duck Hunt but they uses moves from the Nintendog games. Nintencat as an echo?
4: Waluigi (Super Mario Bros. series):
As much as I think he's a little overrated, he could an interesting character, especially seeing the Brawl mod with him.
3: Hammer Bro. (Super Mario Bros. series):
Dude, I would dig this! I could see some decent potential here.
2: Ashley (Wario series):
Wario has like, 1 representative. Plus, Ashley is pretty iconic character and magic is cool. I think this could lead to more WarioWare like attacks.
1: Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight series)
His ability of magic and his shovel should be good reasons. I was disappointed on how his assist trophy role lacked the magic part but they do have the digging.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Now that the full list is here, here are my revised choices (in no particular order):
1. Squid Sisters: Each one would be their own fighter, so I guess that's 2 fighters from one AT (is that cheating?)
2. Skull Kid
3. Waluigi
4. Spring-Man
5. Shovel Knight

Honorable mentions:
Lyn
Isaac
Chef Kawasaki
Ashley
Takamaru
Knuckle Joe
Midna
Alucard

R O F L

Smash Ace
1. Thwomp
2. Moon
3. Color TV-Game 15
4. Flies & Hand
5. Nintendog

In all seriousness, I would want Shovel Knight.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Clearly the best options would be all of them. As a transformation fighter. A character that transforms between 59 different characters and they all share the same icon on the roster select.

But in all seriousness, based on what they do as Assist Trophies, the coolest ones would be Isaac, Knuckles, Shovel Knight, Alucard and Nikki. I feel like these five have the most tools currently in their disposal.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In order of how much "Awwww, man" seeing them unplayable filled me with

5. Shadow
4. Isaac
3. Ashley
2. Shovel Knight
1. Krystal

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
It would be absolutely wild if they made Andross into a playable character. I cant even imagine how they would decide his player mechanics. Does he stay in the background like the assist trophy or do they decrease his size and make him a character that walks (or i guess he would float) around the stage. So many possibilities with that character. They could come up with something really creative for him...

SNinjaStudios

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1881-9214-4032
1) Bomberman
2) Isaac
3) Shovel Knight
4) Ashley
5) Midna

Honorable Mentions: Spring-Man, Krystal, Lyn, Skull Kid

NGW

Smash Cadet
1. Krystal
2. Skull Kid
3. Midna
4. Alucard
5. Spring Man

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Midna
2. Skull Kid
3. Isaac
4. Bomberman
5. Shovel Knight

There are too many great options for playable Zelda characters that are stuck with Assist Trophy status.

H0L0CENE

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5048-8462-1228
1. Bomberman
2. Sukapon
3. Skull Kid
4. Vince
5. Sablé Prince

I thought it would be easy to choose but there's actually a ton of really interesting characters as assist trophies.

D

Deleted member

1. Shovel Knight: I really enjoyed Shovel Knight when it came out, so having any sort of reference to the game in Smash would be a dream come true for me. While I was slightly dissapointed by Shovel Knight being an AT, I'm just happy to have him in the game at all right now. Having him as a Playable Character on the other hand, would bring me indescribable amounts of joy.
  2. Tingle: Unlike most suggestions for a new Zelda character, Tingle has appeared in more then one game, and now plays a major role in the series. I honestly would love to see him playable with all of his weirdness.
  3. Bomberman: Just like Shovel Knight, the second Bomberman turned to be just an AT, I was somewhat dissapointed. As soon as I saw him I just thought that he was playable character, and I feel it would it would've made a lot of sense too. Bomberman is one Konami's biggest franchises, and Hudson Soft has worked with Nintendo on multiple occasions (Mario Party is a major example), so it's about time Bomberman gets his time in the spotlight!
  4. Zero: A mix of Gun and Sword based attacks could create a unique character. I would love to see a Mega Man X rep, and as Zero is more unique then X I'd prefer to have Zero in General.
  5. Chef Kawasaki: Give him the line "I'd be glad to cook for you!", and I instantly have a new main.

KickleCubiclist

Smash Apprentice
5: Squid Sisters (Splatoon is my favorite game of all time so I had to)
4: Spring Man (He would have such a unique play style)
3: Dr. Kawashima (See above)
2: Zero (Also see above)
1: Starfy (cause he’s cool)

Eric2625

Smash Cadet
1:Waluigi:He's such a fun character with a lot of personality plus the reaction to him being an assist makes me believe hes most likely to get upgraded
2: Bomberman:He's iconic and would bring some cool attacks with him!
3:Krystal:She was pretty well known during the brawl and wii u days and she would be a star fox character who doesn't use a blaster.
4:Knuckles: Mods showed just how fun of a character he would be
5:Isaac:He has one of the biggest fan bases with some of the biggest dedication!

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Waluigi
Starfy
Tiki
Alucard
Shovel Knight

Honorable Mentions go to Vince and Arcade Bunny.

I couldn't really care less for the others to be honest.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
5. Ray (Custom Robo)
4. Waluigi
3. Takamaru
2. Isaac
1. Bomberman

That is pretty much the list from me.

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
1. Alcuard: Even Sakurai originally considered Alucard over the Belmonts, and while he would definitely be a liked character among most players, it does make more sense to chose a Belmont as a fighter first to better represent the series. But anyway, Alucard's AT is already on the stronger, more versatile end, and he even has dialogue in Richter's Pit & Palutena chat. I wouldn't rule him out of becoming playable in a future Smash Bros title, or even in a theoretical Season 2 of DLC for SSBU. He has a lot of options as a fighter, although hopefully if he ever was included in the roster, he wouldn't become overpowered.

2. Shadow: At this point, I think the Sonic franchise could use another rep. It's been the most consistent third party franchise in Smash Bros to date, and at this point I don't even see Sonic going away from Smash unless relations between Nintendo & Sega to back to how they were in the 90's. If Shadow was playable, I hope they make him a semi-clone of Sonic at most, since at this point him and Sonic have diverged a lot as characters. I would make his B Special one of his weapons from Shadow the Hedgehog or Chaos Spear, his Side B the Fire Somersault from Sonic Adventure 2, and his Up B being Chaos Control as a sort of teleport that leaves behind a small time slowdown effect where he previous was (both him and Sonic share their Down B Spin Dash). Of course, I could see Shadow being a slightly slower, but stronger version of Sonic, which at first sounds far, until realizing that Sonic is so insanely fast compared to the rest of the cast. Sonic's run speed in Ultimate is 3.85, and even if Shadow's was 3.35, that would still be nearly a full point ahead of speed compared to the game's current fastest, Captain Falcon. A version of Sonic with actual projectiles and better kill potential could easily be broken, so hopefully like Alucard, if Shadow ever did upgrade to playable, he would be balanced, yet not an echo fighter.

3. Bomberman: Honestly one of the few Assist Trophy reveals that somewhat bummed me out. Everytime I summon Bomberman as an AT if I'm playing Classic mode or more casually with friends, I always can't help but think, "Yep, it's him, Bomberman, going around placing bombs everywhere. Really wish he was playable." Maybe it's asking too much of Konami to have three franchise reps since we currently already have Metal Gear & Castlevania. Super Smash Flash 2 showed how Bomberman could work, although hopefully if he was included in an actual Smash Bros game, he wouldn't be a rushdown character like in SSBF2, but more of a tactical bomb placer instead. Also Bomberman Heroes was my most played N64 growing up, so I do like the character and his franchise a lot too as a bias factor. He's iconic enough, and his many games in the franchise do show moveset potential, and I'd like to see him get promoted to playable one of these days.

4. Isaac: Just realized he's the first non-third party rep I've added to this wishlist lol. Anyway, I think Isaac as a character could add a lot to Smash Bros and he wouldn't be no generic sword fighter. In the Golden Sun games, Isaac uses Venus Psyenergy, making him use a lot of nature-based attacks like rock spires, thorny vines, tremors, and several other earthly techniques as well, which aesthetically pleases me since I'm a huge fan of earth-based powers. Sadly nothing is being done with the Golden Sun series for now, and I know he might seem too irrelevant for Nintendo and Sakurai to make a playable character for. His best time to have gotten into Smash Bros would've been during Melee, and unless Golden Sun gets another game again soon, I don't see him having a window of opportunity unless the Golden Sun fanbase starts getting extremely vocal and persistent for their efforts of getting him in. He has my support of becoming playable, although I wouldn't mind if he went with his Dark Dawn design since he older character would also fill in some niche roles as well.

5. Ray MK III: Oh boy, I know this one's definitely got a lot against him, especially since he hasn't even been an Assist Trophy since Brawl, and Nintendo hasn't even bothered renewing their trademark on the Custom Robo series. It's a shame really, I think a small robot character would be a nice fun addition for Smash Bros. A small gunner character, one could argue that he's now best represented through a Mii Gunner wearing a costume based off him. While this is true, the real deal I think would be a far more important figure to have added in Smash Bros. Sadly like Isaac, Ray MK III suffers from having a currently irrelevant franchise, and I don't see Nintendo doing anything with Custom Robo anytime soon, but a man can wish to see this lil' robot become playable one day.

Honorable Mentions
Akira - Good Virtua Fighter rep, would bolster his series.
Samurai Goroh - Would allow for F-Zero to finally get another character to represent its series.
Knuckles - If not Shadow, I wouldn't mind seeing him become playable either.
Rathalos - Would be absolutely hilarious, especially if he's not even scaled down that much. Perhaps Smash Bros could take some liberties and use a younger Rathalos as the fighter rep, but another dragon-based character is always cool.
Zero - Would also be a nice representative to Mega Man, and is a highly popular character in his franchise as well.

OnePerson

Smash Rookie
1.- Shadow the Hedgehog: Honestly the only one that I cared about and assumed he was in because he deserves it, he debuted along with Sonic in Brawl and both of them have been an staple since then. (I never asked for him during Sm4sh)
2.- Isaac: After the last direct I learnt about Isaac fans, and I thought that they went through too much bs as much as what happened with Shadow, so, I know your pain guys, I support you!
3.- Waluigi: Too much time people asking for him and there's literally no reason for him to not being playable, we already got Daisy and even when I understand the logic of not including Waluigi, it always seemed off seeing Wario without Waluigi, it's a waste of potential.
4.- Spring Man: Smash has been worked as advertisement, so, it feels wrong that it doesn't advertise Arms that is a new ip
5.- Do what you want with this spot, I give it to you.

Honorable Mentions:
-Knuckles: I LOVE the Sonic franchise and its characters, and sure I would like from Eggman to Blaze to be in the roster to rival the Mario roster. However, even if I am a Shadow fan, I'm just keen on his inclusion because he has been since Brawl, if Tails, Knuckles or Eggman were instead of him, I would've supported any of them. Since Knuckles just debuted now, I would like other people to get their most beloved characters first.
-Bomberman: I don't see anything wrong with him being an assist trophy, but, yeah, he is a classic, I understand you guys.
-Zero: I think he is cool, but, I don't know, it would be weird having him before X and Dr. Wily.

Also, guys...

Have you heard about the #AssistAlliance? we are a twitter movement that is united in order to show our support to our beloved characters that were turned into Assist Trophies! It's not about harassing neither annoying developers, it's just showing support!

If you are interested, please join our discord!
https://discord.gg/CA8SgGH

Last edited:

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
This is going to be difficult to limit my selection to just five, but I will try. Here are my choices in no particular order

1. Devil - Yes. i know that there isn't much except for the screen moving mechanic, but every time I see this guy, I wonder what he'd be like as a playable character. Also Devil World was co-developed by Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka.

2. Prince of Sable - With the return of a transitional character, being Pokemon Trailer, he could work the same way and alternate between human, snake, and frog forms with different stats. Snake moves faster, but Frog jumps higher, but Human weighs more. Richard would be an alt with different voice clips.

3. Skull Kid - What's to say about him that hasn't been said already. I imagine his Final Smash being a rendition of the time's up game over sequence. It'd be a cinematic where the characters impacted are blown away like Young Link was.

4. Takamaru - While we do have several sword characters, his pinwheel attack is unique. Plus, if he got in, we'd have a Murasame Castle stage. I like the music we have in Ultimate based on his game, but can't seem to fit them in any stage.

5. Krystal - The playable StarFox characters have very similar moves. It'd be nice to have a character that is different. Her moveset could be based on the spear moves seen in StarFox Adventure. Plus, she's worn various outfits in her appearances. Default would be Adventures. Other alts would be Assault with the different color variants, Command, and "Kursed".

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
5. Samurai Goroh - It’s sad how forgotten this character is. I remember when he was at the forefront of requests back during Brawl, and early Smash 4 speculation. Now he’s just some Assist Trophy that hasn’t shown any signs of being more than that in over ten years. Personally, I feel that F-Zero could use some more love, even if the franchise is dead. I imagine he would play like you’d expect a samurai to play, but has mobility and animations similar to Wario. Where he glides in the air, and sort of seems like he’s missing certain frames to his attacks.

4. Alucard - Casltevania has more than enough already. However, Alucard is dope as ****. Just picturing all of the different weapons and items he could utilize, in addition to his movement and animations. This is the sort of character that I just imagine would be an instant favorite of mine in Smash. Plus, it would be nice to have a Castlevania character that I can play as without everyone hating me.

3. Shovel Knight - This boy is objectively made for Smash. He’s got a unique weapon, plenty of relics that would make for good specials, easy palette swaps, and all of the charm. Shovel Knight is easily one of my favorite games of all time. It‘s the best Mega Man and Castlevania game without being a Mega Man or Castlevania game. Everything it does is so beautiful and really exemplifies how proficient indie developers often are. He would fit like a glove in Smash.

2. Waluigi - Can you imagine the reactions? If after all of the memes, Waluigi still somehow manages to sneak his way into Smash...people would lose their minds. I’m dying to see that. Plus, he’s an incredibly iconic character, is recognizable amongst casuals, and could have a gorgeously wacky play style. I’m ready.

1. Isaac - Moveset potential, I’ve wanted him since Brawl, Golden Sun deserves some recognition, moveset potential, we could get hype ass Golden Sun music, and moveset potential. The dude‘s got earthquakes, vines, healing magic, monster summons, big old hands, in addition to control over all four elements. You could make like fifteen characters out of him.

Also, if we’re allowing assists from past games, Ray, Saki, and Excitebiker are big wants for me. Robots are underrepped in Smash, S&P is the best thing, and the thought of a character in Smash that’s attached to his bike is awesome.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Well, realistically speaking based off of moveset potential:

1. Lyn
2. Alucard
3. Shadow
4. Spring Man (BUT as DLC later on)
5. Chef Kawasaki

Honorable Mentions:
Knuckles
Tiki
Ashley
Frog Prince
Takamaru
Mother Brain
Nikki

Waluigi can go die in a hole. And Nightmare, how on God’s green abominable EARTH did your own creator make you suck so much as an Assist Trophy? Heck, I wouldn’t even mind if, by some miracle, he became playable to atone in future games. My one wish is that he can at least use his own moveset as an Assist Trophy.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
I said this once on my Twitter, but why not spread my joy here?

D

Deleted member

• Bomberman
  • Zero
  • Shadow
  • Isaac
  • Shovel knight
Honorable mentions: Skull kid, Ashley, Spring man, Midna, Prince of sable, Squid sisters, Takamaru

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
5 Black Knight, Some REAL armor in this game would be great.
4 Springman, #GiveARMSbettercoverage
3 Waluigi, Look I just want the chaos lord, I don't care if he's trash
2 Ashley, More magic users would be amazing
1 Midna, Zelda is in need of more reps and I like Midna more than Skull Kid.

Top Bottom