• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ideas towards a new 3D Sonic game (previously a Forces rant)

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So, in Sonic Mania you have three main collectables-rings, medals, and Chaos Emeralds. By collecting rings, you can endure a single hit and get a pass into Blue Sphere stages at checkpoints, where collecting every blue ball gets you a silver medal, and collecting all rings in those stages plus the blue balls equals a gold metal, which is five silver ones. These can unlock neat prizes like the &knuckles cheat or infinite time. The medals serve as a side collectible for Mania, something without as much weight as the other two but still kind of fun to get. To get Emeralds, you must find the hidden Warp Rings, where you play a fun as heck Catch The UFO stage. Winning nabs you one of seven Chaos Emeralds. There are many Warp Rings, since they can be often hard to find and difficult to beat. And when I say they are hidden, I MEAN they are hidden WELL-cleverly and with thought towards the player. By collecting every Emerald, you can play as Super Sonic (who is much faster than Sonic and invincible) as well as the true ending of Mania. This is, IMO, a perfect web of collectibles. I don’t ever feel discouraged to get anything, and I WANT to get it all.
In Forces, you still have rings, which increase your score on the level. The better your end level score, which depends on speed, amount of times you died, and rings-the higher of a rank you’ll get. S rank is the highest, and this nabs you some clothes to put on your Sonic OC. But see, the clothes do nothing for you. James The Cat may look neat in high tops and a slick jacket, but is James’ power improved by the clothes? Do I feel like James has powered up? No, he just looks neat. There is no incentive to get an S rank, other than to ‘get it’. Which is the same basic incentive of Clicker-type games. Of course there are Red Rings. There are five hidden in about every level. And when I say they are hidden, I MEAN they are hidden POORLY-taking the rail that is second to the right doesn’t make the player feel smart or accomplished, just because there HAPPENED to be a Red Ring on that one. All they think is ‘oh, I guess I have one more of those things now.’ They are not fun to collect, at least to me. Keep in mind this is all subjective. Anyways, what are these annoying things used for? They get you new ‘hidden stages’. These aren’t meant to move along the story like every other level in this game-they are just an extra challenge. Which might’ve been cool if Sega didn’t just fill them with a million things to get hit by. It might sound like I’m nitpicking, but that’s because this game deserves it. I am not tediously replaying levels and collecting stupid Red Rings just to have my a** kicked seven times in a row on a new stage. So, what happened to Super Sonic, in the months of downtime between Mania and Forces? Oh, Sega didn’t work him or the Emeralds into the plot or even just the game itself (like they did in Lost World, which I actually liked way more than Forces), so they slapped Super Sonic (and Classic Super Sonic) on for 1.99 DLC. Never in my LIFE have I been more insulted as a gamer, as a Sonic fan, as a PERSON. They even put a GAMER hat in the game, so everyone can know I’m a GAMER, but they want to insult my being a GAMER? They made SS free, thank God, but there is still no reason it should’ve happened in the first place! After playing as SS, I can confirm that he doesn’t make Forces a better game. There are other reasons why Forces sucks (lackluster writing and mostly boring level design, just to name a few) but this is the main one.

At the end of the day, Forces, and other games like it, suffer from poor design choices made by a company who wants to appeal to seven-year-olds and 40+ year-olds, casual and diehard series fans, gamers of all kinds. It’s proof that Sega needs to get their priorities in check-addressing the player as a person and not a test subject, making the game fun above all else, and focusing on canon, established characters (sorry, Sonichu fans). I’m not saying I hate every part of this game-it has some genuinely good stages and fun moments in the story. Not to mention character interaction itself has been the best in the series since, like, 06. But as it stands, 3D Sonic needs a masive overhaul. I don’t care how long it takes-if that means we have to wait five more years for a decent game, then let’s freaking wait. I refuse to buy another Sonic game of this quality.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Meh, I personally don't find the 3D Sonic games to be that bad. Some could be better, but the likes of Unleashed HD, Colors and Generations were fun to me, especially Unleashed HD's daytime stages being a blast. I do agree with the character thing, but overall, it is gameplay that matters the most to me. I just want to have fun with these games, and so far, I am having it.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Meh, I personally don't find the 3D Sonic games to be that bad. Some could be better, but the likes of Unleashed HD, Colors and Generations were fun to me, especially Unleashed HD's daytime stages being a blast. I do agree with the character thing, but overall, it is gameplay that matters the most to me. I just want to have fun with these games, and so far, I am having it.
Then good on you. If you’re having more fun with these games than I am, then I’m happy for you. And I do like the games you mentioned above and had fun with them. I just find them boring sometimes because I don’t feel encouraged to explore the branching paths.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Then good on you. If you’re having more fun with these games than I am, then I’m happy for you. And I do like the games you mentioned above and had fun with them. I just find them boring sometimes because I don’t feel encouraged to explore the branching paths.
That is to say, there are still problems to be solved, or at least some areas to improve upon to make the 3D games much better. I can enjoy any 3D Sonic game, but that is to say, I can't afford to make myself look foolish by lying about and ignoring the faults the games have. That would be suicide as a Sonic fan on my part. The character interaction AND development need serious improvement.

So, what do you prefer 3D Sonic games to be in terms of gameplay?

Can't say the disorientation of the loops and corkscrews here would be worth it, but at least the alternate paths like these, and perhaps the extra freedom, would be actually sweet.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
That is to say, there are still problems to be solved, or at least some areas to improve upon to make the 3D games much better. I can enjoy any 3D Sonic game, but that is to say, I can't afford to make myself look foolish by lying about and ignoring the faults the games have. That would be suicide as a Sonic fan on my part. The character interaction AND development need serious improvement.

So, what do you prefer 3D Sonic games to be in terms of gameplay?

Can't say the disorientation of the loops and corkscrews here would be worth it, but at least the alternate paths like these, and perhaps the extra freedom, would be actually sweet.
I think Sega/Sonic Team can do a few things when it comes to 3D Sonic’s possible improvements:
1. Cut down on story. I don’t see a reason that Forces needed a plot comparable in complexity to your average superhero movie. Something like Colors or Mania would really help it. Adventure 1&2 worked because they stayed consistent, but with all the lore maintaining consistency would be difficult for the story team a this time.
2. Gameplay is key, but that doesn’t mean you need to change Sonic himself (Forces didn’t need a whole new engine, the one in Generations worked great.) The problem isn’t Sonic, I believe the problem is the world he is surrounded by.
3. The environment. I’ve seen fan projects like the video you put above, and I do believe Modern Sonic could use something like that, but maybe not all the time. For example, in Uncharted 4, most of the game is linearly designed, but some parts are open-ended for exploration purposes. I would love to move in more directions than side to side and up and down (I know that’s a common complaint even by non-fans, but it does ring true a lot of the times.
4. Make the Red Rings worth something. Maybe getting a certain amount of them gets you a key you can use to unlock an Emerald Stage found in the hub world, with amounts of Red Rings needed to get an Emerald Stage key increasing over time (1st stage 10 needed, 2nd stage 20 needed...).
5. Finally, a hub world would actually make Mobius (or Earth, or wherever it is) feel interconnected, instead of just telling us it is.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I see and understand your points, but still, I believe a more complex story can work for Sonic. It just has to be done well.

In terms of gameplay, can I show you some ideas I have for improving the gameplay, like the boost?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
That sounds awesome! I’d love to hear your ideas.
Personally, I just don’t want to run in long, narrow hallways for most of the game, as that’s a big part of why I find 3D sonic not as fun as some others.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Let me show you a few to start off with.

1st Idea.

In 3D sections, on structures such as loops and corkscrews, the sections would be semi-automated, and would require the player to hold forward to keep Sonic running or else they would fall off, like in Sonic Adventure 2. The loops would be momentum based as well, so that once running through them, Sonic would effectively run at that speed through such structures, which means moving at low speed means Sonic will possibly fall off. Also, Sonic can move left and right while automatically running on the loops or corkscrews as well, making him able to collect rings and other items on the structures (like loops and corkscrews) or jump off to get off the loop or jump onto platforms and alternate routes in between loops and corkscrews and the like. Furthermore, in 2D sections, the loops, corkscrews and other similar structures would be exactly like they were in the classics, with no automation. At the same time, Sonic can run on loops, corkscrews, walls and hills that have branching paths while Sonic is still moving automatically bu turning onto those paths.

2nd Idea:

Some of the red ramps, as seen in Sonic Unleashed, Colors and Generations, would come in groups, meaning there would be three or more ramps in certain areas in stages that each lead to a different route. Whether or not there is one or more of these red ramps, these would be momentum based, so that whatever speed Sonic is running at when he hits these ramps, they send him flying at that speed, which can create challenges in reaching some higher areas. As for the springs, the springs would be less automated, and the player can move in different directions while moving in the air after hitting a spring, and even homing attack other springs and other objects as they are moving through the air.

3rd Idea:

In levels, there would be alternate routes that would lead to alternate goal rings like at 3:08 here.

These goal rings would not only finish the level, but lead to a different act or level other than what the main goal ring leads to. This would effectively be like Shadow the Hedgehog's (the game) branching paths, except they would not change the story like in that game, and there could be more levels to explore that are found through these alternate goal rings in these alternate routes. Some of these may be well hidden, or hard to reach.

4th Idea:

With the boost, Sonic would accelerate to a high speed. Not a maximum speed, but high enough. Sonic would accelerate instantly when using the boost, and he'd maintain the same speed as long as he is boosting. He could also reach that high speed by hitting a dash pad.

However, for running to build up speed, and rolling, and perhaps spin dashing, that is a different story. The following applies to building speed or even rolling, especially down hills in the case of the rolling. When Sonic builds up speed, the player will notice accelerating effects seen as Sonic runs forward through the level. This acceleration would not be noticed when the boost is used. When Sonic reaches max speed, he can run as fast as he can in boost mode. But when running or rolling down ramps and hills, either way, Sonic would accelerate quickly as he runs down them, like how the rolling worked in the classic games. Sonic will not only accelerate faster, but when he is going down those ramps and hills, he can even speed up to a speed faster than the speed Sonic goes while boosting!

What do you think of these?

EDIT: 5th Idea:

Using one of the control sticks on the gamepad, or some of the buttons on the right side of the pad, Sonic can adjust his Sonic Drift from Sonic Unleashed to make the turning radius smaller or larger. This could be useful for making turns that have more than one path branching out of them, so when Sonic makes a turn, he can make tighter or larger turns to turn into the path that is branching out from the main turning pathway. With that said, Sonic could easily reach newer paths with this mechanic, and reach new areas that can only be accessed by using this, all while maintaining speed and not stopping just to turn into that path way he wants to go to.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
1st idea:

I like the idea on the semi-auto loops/corkscrews. This is a nice balance between being able to run through them without touching a button, and falling off track because of high speeds. I also like the idea of falling off due to low speeds-it would make sense to punish the player for not doing what Sonic is meant to do-go fast.

2nd idea:

I totally agree with you that these items-boost pads and springs-should be less automated. That’s been a recurring issue in 3D games that I really have not noticed until now. Maybe the automation isn’t a problem, but I agree that by making them more manual, the game is more in the player’s control, like how the games were before the formula changed. I’ve felt this partly in boost games-like how you can clear a large part in Sunset Heights by boosting in the air-but they are too few and far between.

3rd idea:

This is a really awesome idea! Not having a set path for clearing levels just makes so much sense for Sonic, especially for the game you’re painting, where it is much more in the player’s control of how fast they go and where they are going. Maybe to access one of these rings, you would have to gain a large amount of speed in a short amount of time in order to get enough height on an upcoming boost pad.

4th idea:

I love what you said here, but in order to make these momentum-gathering sections more meaningful, boost would need to be more limited than it is now. In the past games, I felt like I could boost all the time because of how often I would defeat enemies/get boost wisps. In this hypothetical game, think of the boost meter like a Magic Meter from Zelda, or ability meters in Mega Man: you have to put a lot more thought into how you use the limited supply, but it can be refilled occasionally throughout the level

Overall, it seems like what you’re thinking of is a momentum-based, highly replay-able Sonic game that seems to have even more player choice than Sonic Adventure. I enjoyed reading your ideas, and to be honest, it’s likely better than anything I could’ve come up with. Thanks for telling me your thoughts!

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Thanks! Did you see my fifth idea in the same post? If not, here t is again.

5th Idea:

Using one of the control sticks on the gamepad, or some of the buttons on the right side of the pad, Sonic can adjust his Sonic Drift from Sonic Unleashed to make the turning radius smaller or larger. This could be useful for making turns that have more than one path branching out of them, so when Sonic makes a turn, he can make tighter or larger turns to turn into the path that is branching out from the main turning pathway. With that said, Sonic could easily reach newer paths with this mechanic, and reach new areas that can only be accessed by using this, all while maintaining speed and not stopping just to turn into that path way he wants to go to.

What do you think of this?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
(EDIT: I added on to the list of ideas you had so that we could have both our ideas for the series in one place).
5th idea:

Honestly, I think Sonic Drift is key if we want to have more open 3D Sonic, and at the same times have speeds greater than they were in Adventure. I think it was used smartly in the Shadow fight from Generations, but it would also work great in a larger space. I can really see your ideas going into a new 3D game.

6th idea:

You’ve talked a lot about Sonic, but not a whole lot about the terrain he runs on. I have no idea really how “his world” could work. When it comes to zones, I think Sonic should have the choice to go through different intersecting paths, with the game rewarding the player for staying on the top path, just like the Genesis days. Due to the high speeds you described it would be possible to reach, Sonic would either have to slow down and risk having a lower rank, or speed up and go for a better rank, however it would be more difficult to stay on this top path. There would be many twists, turns, loops, corkscrews, basically enough stuff to keep any player entertained and moving fast. There would occasionally be boost pads and springs placed on lower levels, as a chance to redeem yourself.

7th idea(kinda):
The one thing I cannot figure out are the badniks and enemies. They aren’t much of a problem already in the more recent 3D titles, so how in the world do you think they could be as much of an obstacle as they were in 2D games as they will be in this hypothetical, larger, more free-roaming game? Or do you think enemies should be sidelined completely to focus on speed and momentum? It might be best to put enemies throughout the level, but place some flying that you can homing attack to reach areas not normally attainable with a jump and boost. Grounded badniks would be easily boosted through or just outright avoided. Also, the player should have the ability to turn enemies off for speed running purposes-maybe beat the campaign first to unlock this option? I’m curious to hear what you have to say about obstacles in this game.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
(EDIT: I added on to the list of ideas you had so that we could have both our ideas for the series in one place).
5th idea:

Honestly, I think Sonic Drift is key if we want to have more open 3D Sonic, and at the same times have speeds greater than they were in Adventure. I think it was used smartly in the Shadow fight from Generations, but it would also work great in a larger space. I can really see your ideas going into a new 3D game.

6th idea:

You’ve talked a lot about Sonic, but not a whole lot about the terrain he runs on. I have no idea really how “his world” could work. When it comes to zones, I think Sonic should have the choice to go through different intersecting paths, with the game rewarding the player for staying on the top path, just like the Genesis days. Due to the high speeds you described it would be possible to reach, Sonic would either have to slow down and risk having a lower rank, or speed up and go for a better rank, however it would be more difficult to stay on this top path. There would be many twists, turns, loops, corkscrews, basically enough stuff to keep any player entertained and moving fast. There would occasionally be boost pads and springs placed on lower levels, as a chance to redeem yourself.

7th idea(kinda):
The one thing I cannot figure out are the badniks and enemies. They aren’t much of a problem already in the more recent 3D titles, so how in the world do you think they could be as much of an obstacle as they were in 2D games as they will be in this hypothetical, larger, more free-roaming game? Or do you think enemies should be sidelined completely to focus on speed and momentum? It might be best to put enemies throughout the level, but place some flying that you can homing attack to reach areas not normally attainable with a jump and boost. Grounded badniks would be easily boosted through or just outright avoided. Also, the player should have the ability to turn enemies off for speed running purposes-maybe beat the campaign first to unlock this option? I’m curious to hear what you have to say about obstacles in this game.
Again, thanks.

And I see what you mean in terms of terrain. In my ideals, reaching alternate paths, some of the paths should be done by building up momentum, maybe rather than the boost. To make things interesting, in areas you happen to come across that you can't access without slowing down, there would be springs and dash pads, bumpers or other objects to use to redirect your velocity to the other area quickly. I do believe I have an idea on alternate paths, if you want to see it.

For the other thing, which is about badniks, I can see badniks and enemies being more reflex based to make things more challenging. Like taking advantage of Sonic's speed, which means if Sonic is not going fast or slow enough, he could get hit by the enemies easily, or make some enemies attack you if you take a wrong turn and have to stop or something. I can also see changes in speed and especially direction, like the quick step or drift or whatever, be something that could be needed to feint an enemy or get around their defenses to attack them. I have another idea for using momentum on enemies if you want to hear it.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Of course I want to hear what you have to say! I really think you’re on the verge of something big for 3D Sonic, like how Christian Whitehead was for 2D Sonic.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
For the first idea, about loops in corkscrews, there would be branching loops and corkscrews like in Sonic Heroes and Seaside Hill in Sonic Generations, which lead to alternate routes, and the player can choose which alternate route from these branching loops Sonic can go through as they go through the level. There would also be some sections you could drift into while on these corkscrews and loops, and others where you can quickstep onto another part of the loop or corkscrew, usually for collecting items like rings. This is semi automated, but can be done without falling off. In the case of some other terrain, Sonic can interact with some structures via bounce or stomp, allowing him to tilt the structure. It may take a few hits for some, but Sonic could then run or boost up the structure to get to higher ground. If a path Sonic is on is spinning, Sonic can keep on running to stay on the path, and on some loops and corkscrews, there would be curved ramps that would redirect Sonic to other areas of the level, with Sonic righting himself in mid air before landing. If Sonic quicksteps onto a path perpendicular or oblique to the loop or corkscrew, he will spin and face the direction of the path he turns onto before running onto it. Also, to make things fun, there would be obstacles like mines or springs or terrain that slows Sonic down that he will have to avoid.

Also, a little idea, some paths begin flat, but if Sonic runs or boosts on them, he can make them extend horizontally and vertically, causing them to rise and expand so he can reach higher areas.

For this idea, Sonic's strength when he runs through walls and breaking them would depend on his speed. As his speed gets higher, his strength in breaking things get higher, all without the boost. He can thus roll, spindash or use boost mode to break through things with the magnitude of his speed, and perhaps if he reaches a high enough speed, he can break through some steel. It is risky, as it can be close to uncontrollable in terms of control for Sonic. This could help reach alternate routes or plow thorugh some very strong enemies in one hit, when they may take more than one hit otherwise. It is possible to use the boost at the right time to increase the strength of impact with a simple tap alone, but Sonic still has to gain momentum first. At the same time, to go with the terrain idea, Sonic can use high momentum strength to topple large structures to create new paths.

One last idea.

this idea makes it so that you don't need to hold down the boost button to maintain momentum. Just press the boost button, let go, keep holding forward and you'll still have momentum and speed as you go along. This allows for running through loops and on walls or down hills (provided they aren't scripted), all without the boost. It would also be possible to gather and maintain momentum without the boost altogether, but should you press the boost button, you don't need to constantly hold it down to keep your momentum, thus you can do momentum based stuff like in the classics without constant boost. You might go faster without the boost even if you are skilled and able to maintain momentum while avoiding obstacles. You obviously don't get the invincibility with the boost, by the way.

What do you think?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So why you’re saying about the boost reminds me of Mario Sunshine, in a way: you don’t need FLUDD (not sure how to spell that) to beat the game, but it is very useful and a kind of crutch to fall on when there platforming doesn’t go so smoothly.
On the subject of Sonic going at speeds to break walls and powerful enemies, I think it sounds promising-with one worry on my part. How would it be distinguished if the player wants to run up a wall or plow through it? Should some be marked for breaking, others for running up? Personally, I think Sonic should be able to run up any wall, except for parts of a wall with cracks in them. Those would be the ones Sonic runs through. What do you think of this idea?
I like how you expressed movement for the loops and corkscrews as well. It really makes sense how you’ve designed them.
I also would like to hear your input on how Sonic gets from zone to zone. A hub world, like 06? A world map, similar to Colors? Or should everything be interconnected-Green Hill Zone connects to Emerald Hill, which connects to Seaside, you can take a highway road to Sunset Heights, and there you can find several sewer pipes that drop Sonic into Chemical Plant, take the Tornado to the Death Egg-you get the idea. You can run around in these interconnected zones, just having fun as Sonic, but you can press a button to start the actual level.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
For the momentum strength idea, let's just have a speed meter on screen that changes color when Sonic's momentum gets stronger as he runs faster, with red possibly being the strongest.

For the transition, I like the hub world, but I like the word map better. I actually like the interconnected part you mentioned the best. Maybe have transition areas to connect them like in Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric? Yeah, that was a poor game, but if done properly, it could work. For some areas that can't use those parts, have the Tornado be used to get around, perhaps in free roaming sky areas with some Sky Chase like sections like in Sonic 2 and Sonic Adventure.

As for the boost thing, I do think it can work. But I do believe there are ways to not have to use the boost all the time to do things, you know what I mean?

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I like the meter idea. So, I guess to run up walls instead of breaking them, slow down? That does makes sense. Or maybe Sonic can only break walls when he is in a ball (which is activated with a single button press) so that way, Sonic runs on walls when he’s normally running, but if you want to break walls you have the option always available to you. Or maybe it would look weird, for Sonic to be running at top speed and then suddenly run straight up a wall. I don’t really know how to solve this issue, to be honest. And yeah, I know what you mean by the boost thing.
So, where do you think this game should go in terms of story? I’m not really sure where to even start, since Sonic stories have really been all over the place.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I like the meter idea. So, I guess to run up walls instead of breaking them, slow down? That does makes sense. Or maybe Sonic can only break walls when he is in a ball (which is activated with a single button press) so that way, Sonic runs on walls when he’s normally running, but if you want to break walls you have the option always available to you. Or maybe it would look weird, for Sonic to be running at top speed and then suddenly run straight up a wall. I don’t really know how to solve this issue, to be honest. And yeah, I know what you mean by the boost thing.
So, where do you think this game should go in terms of story? I’m not really sure where to even start, since Sonic stories have really been all over the place.
He could pretty much only break through walls if he spins or boosts. He could also run up walls if there was a curved ground for Sonic to run on that leads up the wall. As for story, to avoid the risks of bad complex stories, I'd go with simple stories like in the Genesis days, or for at least a while before they could do an Adventure type of story. By the way, can I show you more ideas?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
He could pretty much only break through walls if he spins or boosts. He could also run up walls if there was a curved ground for Sonic to run on that leads up the wall. As for story, to avoid the risks of bad complex stories, I'd go with simple stories like in the Genesis days, or for at least a while before they could do an Adventure type of story. By the way, can I show you more ideas?
Of course! Just wanted to share some thoughts I had on bosses, then I’d love to hear what you have to say.
Bosses in 3D Sonic seem to always be a chase, where Sonic boosts until he’s in homing attack range. A neat idea, but it’s been copied and pasted so many times now. How about we turn the tables-Sonic is the one being chased, and he has to make to the end of a boss section in time, or else he loses. This would probably be an early fight with Eggman in his Eggmobile.
Some other ideas for bosses:
The classic Eggman wrecking ball fight, but reimagined in 3D, and it has a second stage where Eggman tries to escape, and Sonic must catch up to him to succeed
A battle between the Tornado and The Death Egg, which would end in a not-so-subtle reference to A New Hope.
An arena fight between Sonic and Metal Sonic, which would be similar to Sonic: The Fighters (obviously it wouldn’t have the exact same gameplay).
A dogfight, between the Tornado and the Egg Robo(which can fly now). I think the Tornado should be Sonic’s secondary form of movement in this game, so it should have a boss fight or two.
So yeah, let me know your opinion on these, and then I’d love to hear some more of your ideas!

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Those could work. I agree, there are too many boss sections where chasing is a thing. I think it could even work in an arena like area where the boost is disabled for the fight. Anyway, here's the idea.

In 2D Sections, there would be sections where Sonic can quick step into the foreground and the background of those sections without going 3D. With that said, The player can also use the drift button and up or down on the c-stick in certain sections where Sonic goes into different sections of the 2D sections, all of each are 2D, while some of them are curved or looped paths, This would add a more 3Dish perspective in 2D sections, where Sonic can go closer or farther from the screen or run towards or away from the screen, all while maintaining the 2Dness in those paths.

Here is this other idea of mine.

This is in regards to the Double Boost from Sonic Forces. It would function with Sonic alone and be called the Hyper Boost, unless he is with another friend, which makes it the Double Boost. With the Hyper or Double Boost, Sonic can run through heavier, larger and more durable objects, though they might slow him down some. There would also be more bottomless pits, alternate routes and even obstacles to deal with, like a faster version of the daytime Sonic Unleashed HD levels, and kinda like the mach speed sections in Sonic 06. Also, if Sonic hits a wall, he will stop dead and thus lose a life in the Hyper or Double Boost sections, like in the high speed sections in Sonic Lost World, Wii U.

For this other idea, it would have switches that make turning, twisting paths appear, for a short time, anyway. With that said, Sonic would be able to walk on certain switches that would create twisting and turning pathways that he has to run through (and are not really automated) quickly to get to the other side. If he doesn't make it in time, the path will disappear, and Sonic will fall to a lower route or down a bottomless pit. For an example, look at this from 5:31 to 5:42.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsbjGaUYunM

And 6:16 to 6:29 in the same video above. Sonic does not automatically start rolling fast in this case. Rather, he needs to spin dash, boost or build momentum up first to make it across. If he can't make it in time by the time the path disappears, he will fall, perhaps to his doom.

What do you think of all this?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I knew what Sonic X-treme was, but I have never seen footage of it. It actually looks pretty neat, despite the fact that I would have gotten motion sickness playing it.
I do like the platform thing, it seems like it could work well considering the game we’re imagining. I think these sections should be semi-automated-Sonic should have control over his speed and momentum, it not his movement.
I really like the double/hyper boost idea.The Mach sections of 06 were really fun when they weren’t broken. But, are these speeds going to be faster than the max speed Sonic could normally obtain? And if so, it could lead to problems in way of control, as above you mentioned Sonic would be hard to control at his fastest speed alone. So, separate stages made for hyper boost? Or set apart a certain part of the stage for them?
I can see where you’re going with the 2D idea. I like games that have the background and foreground available to explore, but never have I played one with more than 2 sections to swap between. But there is always a first time for everything. That being said, we want this game to NAIL 3D, and it should be the first priority. 2D should be improved compared to previous games, but I think the first thing to fix is Sonic’s physics in these sections. Plus if there are more than 2 sections, the player may get confused on where Sonic is, and which path he’s on.
The next thing to consider would be zones. Obviously Green Hill would be first, maybe some other returning stages could be Rooftop Run and Planet Wisp. I chose these because I think they could work really well in this 3D format. Treetop Panic, Ice Cap, and Mushroom Hill could also be potentially great stages. I honestly don’t know what the new ones could be. Let me know if you have any ideas!

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Sorry for the long wait. The hyper boost would be faster than max speed. I understand the 2D idea can be confusing. Maybe highlight the path Sonic is on? I understand you want them to nail 3D first, bu the way.

As for zones, you would not believe how many zone ideas I have come up with. What is Treetop Panic, by the way?

Say, can I show you this other idea of mine?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I just looked it up-I was thinking of palm tree panic from CD.
I’d also love to hear what you have to say on zones and that other idea of yours.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Alright! Here is one I made long ago,

Arcade Avenue Zone

This takes place in a whole city around nighttime. There are lots of lights to be seen in this lit up city. However, this is not a casino city at all. Rather, it is an arcade like city. That's right! This is an arcade themed city you're in! Sonic will have to make his way through this city on his adventure to stop Eggman. This does look like a rather fun place to be in, but with Eggman on the loose, chances are, there will be trouble you have to deal with.

in this zone are in the form of air hockey tables, pool tables, ping pong tables, basketball tables and Foosball tables, all that have objects that can knock Sonic around or even harm Sonic if he is not careful! There may be some puck or ball Sonic will have to watch for. Sometimes, Sonic can exit these roads by getting to the goal area on the other side of the road. Sonic can interact with the pool balls on pool tables.

Many of the roads here are made of arcade levels, and you get to see some beat 'em up, platformer, shooter and other kinds of games to be seen. There are some things that do not actually hurt Sonic, but some other things can actually do so and cause the blue blur to lose rings if he is hit. There are plenty of elements from different games that include level gimmicks and such, and you might even see some streets modeled after some games made by Sega, such as Golden Axe and Jet Set Radio.

Sonic also finds him around various redemption games that he can interact with. There are whack a mole like games Sonic can play to win rings. There are also skeeball games Sonic can optionally play in a chance to win some rings. Sonic also goes through a "Dance Dance Revolution" like game with falling arrows, which Sonic will have to use as platforms to get to other areas. There are also air gun games that shoot Sonic from a blaster onto a target, with Sonic gaining rings in accord to what part of the target he hits.

There are arcade games Sonic can play in. These games have a coin slot thing similar to the slot thing of the pinball-slot machine areas in Casino Night area. Sonic must jump through these slots to play, and they usually cost about five to ten rings. Once Sonic jumps through the slot of these games, he can go into the arcade machine and play those games and try to win some rings in the game. There are also special, green rings Sonic can obtain, and they can be used to open rooms that serve as alternate routes or rooms with lots of goodies. The special rings can only be obtained by playing games. Sonic can lose these like he does with normal rings so of you get hit, you must try to get your rings back before they disappear.

The games themselves come in different forms. They come in many forms such as Tetris like games, racing games, shooting games. and such that Sonic can play, though not all of them give free rings to Sonic if he completes them. Sonic would have to dodge objects, avoid enemies or break things to get points, and he may win a certain amount of rings based on how many points he has obtained. The games sometimes have a time limit, but can be much longer, and can stop by pushing a special button around the arcade machine to press should the player want to stop for some reason. The games are like Frogger, Breakout, Pong, Invaders, Tempest, Tetris, Asteroids, Centipede and more.

And here is a rather new one of mine.

Access Assembly Zone

In this zone, Sonic and friends go through an area where there are lots of doors, windows, locks and keys being made. It is kinda like the door area in the business place in the movie, Monster's Inc. There are many doors to go through here, and many locks to unlock, and needless to say, many keys to be found to unlock the place. Sonic and friends must stop Dr. Eggman from trying to steal a specific key.

In this zone, there are many doors, like ones that open that will try to suck Sonic and friends in and if they do, they will suck them to an area they were in before. There are also locks that can be unlocked by buttons, but lock other areas when the same button is pressed at the same time. Sonic and friends find many keys to be collected, some of which are guarded by robots that will chase the heroes. There are window where bombs will fall out of and will try to hit the heroes.

There are also speed meters in which if Sonic and friends go through one or more at the right speed, they will unlock other areas. There are timed sections that, if a certain time passes, will become locked and unable to be accessed. Some doors try to block the way, but can be destroyed by a homing attack, spin dash or boost. There are also plenty of locks that can be destroyed in a few hits to get through certain doors. There are also windows with items in them that come out after the heroes hit a lever to open them, and there are buttons linked together that must be pressed in the correct order to continue, with each number hinted at areas of sections before.

Now the idea. It is about automated sections other than loops and corkscrews. Like flat paths and circular paths. If they must be automated, they should be fewer, semi-automated and limited to places where it could be hard to maintain speed easily. However, the most important part is to make them more interactive. For example, having multiple paths in automated sections that the player can tilt the control stick left or right, and maybe backward to reach. Take a look at this at 0:54.

Here, Sonic runs down a spiral pathway, which seems semi-automated. As an example, the player can tilt the control stick in order to make it so that they keep going in a certain direction rather than continue down the ramp, possibly into an alternate route. Plus, they can still jump, and if they jump on platforms, the automated sections are no longer automated, and the player has full control of Sonic.

At the same time, the automated sections, if the player does not interact at all, would have easy, intermediate and hard routes, depending on Sonic's speed as he enters the section. If he has low speed, he goes through and easy route and does not go up say, a separate hill. If he has medium speed, he goes through another route like a small loop instead of the hill. If he has high speed, he would go up the hill. These would all be semi-automated, of course.

Also, in these automatic sections, the player could press a certain button to make the sections not automated at all, causing Sonic to stop unless the control stick is tilted in the right direction. With that, there would also be an option in the options menu to turn them off altogether. Manually controlling Sonic through these sections could be slower, but it still gets the job done.

Another idea, is ring based paths. Kinda like the yellow pipes from Sonic 3's Carnival Night Zone, only not just pipes, but possibly automated sections in the way I described above. That said, if Sonic has an odd or even number of rings, or a certain number of rings like in the tens, twenties and above, or a combination of odd or even and total number of rings, he could go in a different pipe or direction in such sections to get to alternate routes.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
First of all, thank you for linking the lava reef video. Freaking love that zone‘a music, and it was a helpful visual aid.
And also, I sincerely apologize for not responding earlier. Even if quarantine gives me a little more free time, I’ve still got a crap ton of stuff to do around the house.
So I like the arcade idea, and the access assembly idea. Not to mention how you really improved the automated, hallway-like areas. It’s difficult to get an idea of what you have in mind for the second zone without a visual, but I think I sort of get what you mean.
So, you say ‘Sonic and heroes’ like he’s with a group-like Sonic Heroes, with three characters-but I’m thinking it may be better to have a partner system, like the tag team sections in Forces. Those levels ended up being some of my favorites. Sonic could team up with Tails to get flight, Knuckles to break through certain doors and terrain. The avatar character could be used as well, though I’d rather they not be as large of a part of the story as they were in Forces-I liked the character, but not when they’re given just as much spotlight as Sonic. I’d love to see Sonic team up with Silver for some levels, to revisit the psychokinesis ability from 06 (I found Silver’s levels to be pretty fun a lot of the time). More characters might be included, but that’s all I can think of for now. And of course the game would still majorly be filled with solo, 3D Sonic levels.
We’ve traveled on the train in Sonic Adventure (which, by the way, I finally beat for the first time!) but it was very automated, and only required walking in a door to get to and from Station Square/Mystic Ruins. How about a zone in which you run through different environments in an effort to keep up with a train that Eggman is inside? In several sections, Sonic may need to hop on a separate train on a separate path to go through a tunnel, drift around bends to keep up with the train, run down hills to gain speed, and finally run atop the train whilst dodging enemy fire. Let me know what you think of my ideas, and if you have any more of your own.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
First of all, thank you for linking the lava reef video. Freaking love that zone‘a music, and it was a helpful visual aid.
And also, I sincerely apologize for not responding earlier. Even if quarantine gives me a little more free time, I’ve still got a crap ton of stuff to do around the house.
So I like the arcade idea, and the access assembly idea. Not to mention how you really improved the automated, hallway-like areas. It’s difficult to get an idea of what you have in mind for the second zone without a visual, but I think I sort of get what you mean.
So, you say ‘Sonic and heroes’ like he’s with a group-like Sonic Heroes, with three characters-but I’m thinking it may be better to have a partner system, like the tag team sections in Forces. Those levels ended up being some of my favorites. Sonic could team up with Tails to get flight, Knuckles to break through certain doors and terrain. The avatar character could be used as well, though I’d rather they not be as large of a part of the story as they were in Forces-I liked the character, but not when they’re given just as much spotlight as Sonic. I’d love to see Sonic team up with Silver for some levels, to revisit the psychokinesis ability from 06 (I found Silver’s levels to be pretty fun a lot of the time). More characters might be included, but that’s all I can think of for now. And of course the game would still majorly be filled with solo, 3D Sonic levels.
We’ve traveled on the train in Sonic Adventure (which, by the way, I finally beat for the first time!) but it was very automated, and only required walking in a door to get to and from Station Square/Mystic Ruins. How about a zone in which you run through different environments in an effort to keep up with a train that Eggman is inside? In several sections, Sonic may need to hop on a separate train on a separate path to go through a tunnel, drift around bends to keep up with the train, run down hills to gain speed, and finally run atop the train whilst dodging enemy fire. Let me know what you think of my ideas, and if you have any more of your own.
I meant Sonic and his friends, playable individually, actually.

Yeah, and that sounds fun, the train idea. A separate idea I had was a playable section of the train of Sonic Adventure that you mentioned, which Sonic may have to get to the area he wants to get to by going on top of the train and jumping on other trains, or jumping from train to train by jumping out the window. It' may be indirect, but at least it is more interactive. Just an idea.

Speaking of ideas, glad you liked my other ideas. So, what did you think of my idea on automated sections, in more detail?

And for being late, that is okay. I understand.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
The adventure games had animal for the chao what felt good to get as a kid.

But I always thought super sonic should've been an unlockable.

But the upgrade version had metal sonic what was cool I guess.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
To smashingDoug, welcome to the thread! We’ve been posting our ideas for a new Sonic game recently, so you can scroll up to see what we’ve covered, and let us know if you have any ideas to contribute!
And to SonicSmasher, sorry I messed up on your usage I of the term “Sonic and friends”. I’d be cool with other playable characters, but hopefully not as many as Sonic Adventure-I found that to be a little exhausting with six stories.
In more detail, I think the automated sections would work well for this idea of a game, especially for indoor areas and the like. I do think it might be a bit useless to have a non-automatic option if it just slows you down-instead, have it allow for faster speeds but harder difficulty.
I don’t have any more ideas for now, or none that I can think of. But if you have any more ideas I’d be more than happy to hear them!

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
To smashingDoug, welcome to the thread! We’ve been posting our ideas for a new Sonic game recently, so you can scroll up to see what we’ve covered, and let us know if you have any ideas to contribute!
And to SonicSmasher, sorry I messed up on your usage I of the term “Sonic and friends”. I’d be cool with other playable characters, but hopefully not as many as Sonic Adventure-I found that to be a little exhausting with six stories.
In more detail, I think the automated sections would work well for this idea of a game, especially for indoor areas and the like. I do think it might be a bit useless to have a non-automatic option if it just slows you down-instead, have it allow for faster speeds but harder difficulty.
I don’t have any more ideas for now, or none that I can think of. But if you have any more ideas I’d be more than happy to hear them!
I see your point about the non-automatic option. Perhaps that wasn't the best idea. And yeah, there wouldn't be that many playable characters. Just 4-5 of them.

Anyway, I have more ideas. Wanna hear them?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Of course! And characters is a weird issue, let’s table it for now and focus on Sonic, stages, maybe story as well.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'd have to agree. Anyway...

About the quicktime events, mainly the ones you see in Sonic Forces with the blue enclosing ring circle. I thought of a way to make them do more. Have there be multiple enclosing circles that the player can switch to with the drift button. The player will not fail any of these if they are too late unless it is the last one on screen, which leads to the main path. The others can lead to multiple routes if one of them is completed in time. That said, each one is a different color from one another. For simplicity purposes, there should only be three or four of these on the screen at once, and the following quicktime events should be limited to one or two after that.

Also, if Sonic is at low power in terms of the boost, and he is about to run into a spring or ramp, he can boost the second before he hits the ramp or spring to get a massive speed or jump boost, which will allow for reaching higher areas. This can only be done at low power in terms of the boost gauge. I thought of a similar thing with the homing attack as well. Hit the homing attack button again right before Sonic hits an enemy to get a big boost that will send Sonic forward.

For the Light Speed Dash and trail or rings, as well for Jump Panels like in Sonic Adventure, the trails of rings, first off, can split into multiple paths with rings splitting off the main trail. Just tilt the c-stick in the direction you want to go in before you reach the split and there, you are going down that alternate path. As for the Jump Panels, when Sonic jumps on them, the player can change the direction he is about to jump in to go to a different panel when he jumps, which also leads to multiple routes. Speaking of the Light Speed Dash, the rings, after they have been collected once, become clear and transparent and can be used again, like in Shadow the Hedgehog, the game.

Also, for Yellow Trick Ramps, they could be made like a combination of Sonic Colors' yellow ramps and Sonic Generations' Yellow Ramps, except you don't have to do tricks, or you can do them sparingly otherwise. When Sonic jumps like in Colors on these ramps, there will be alternate routes he can get to, except timing is the key to reaching each of them. The player will have to make Sonic jump at different intervals, at the right intervals, to reach these areas, while missing others. You understand what I mean?

Also, for sections that have Sonic on a path with no fences to keep Sonic from falling off, I have an idea for that. Bumper Fences. Hitting these fences will cause Sonic to bounce a little while maintaining speed and direction on the path, all without falling off the path itself. The thing is, if Sonic can stay on the path without hitting these bumper fences, he will gain some points.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Great for most of it! Only two notes I have:
1. I think the player should be able to influence their direction during a Light Speed Dash by flicking the L stick instead of R/C stick. We’ll likely use that for camera (unless you think the game would be better off with trigger or bumper camera controls).
2. I had no idea Forces had quick time events, so you lot me on that paragraph. Are you talking about a run-through-the-rings sort of deal? I’m sure that could work.
I also think in terms of story, we should take the old and put a spin on it: for example, Super Mario Oddysey or Sonic and Tails R (a fan made radio drama on YouTube).Give me a few days to brainstorm and I’ll come back to you with some ideas.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Great for most of it! Only two notes I have:
1. I think the player should be able to influence their direction during a Light Speed Dash by flicking the L stick instead of R/C stick. We’ll likely use that for camera (unless you think the game would be better off with trigger or bumper camera controls).
2. I had no idea Forces had quick time events, so you lot me on that paragraph. Are you talking about a run-through-the-rings sort of deal? I’m sure that could work.
I also think in terms of story, we should take the old and put a spin on it: for example, Super Mario Oddysey or Sonic and Tails R (a fan made radio drama on YouTube).Give me a few days to brainstorm and I’ll come back to you with some ideas.
The camera stick wouldn't be bad.

And check out 1:56 here.

They are green circles, not blue, but you know what I mean.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Okay, so I took a while to respond but I can explain. Aside from gaming I really enjoy writing, so I maybe went a tad overboard scripting what could be the first hour of the game. I focused on story but also went a bit in detail towards stages. It’s a lot, so I think it would be best if I dropped it in segments. Does that sound good?
This is far from the final product, and it may not be good yet. That’s why I want to share it with you. Does that sound good?

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Sure, go ahead. I have some more ideas too, if you want to hear them.

I also happen to be a writer myself, by the way.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
That’s awesome! Yeah, whatever you’re thinking just lmk.

Here we go. This is the opening cutscene.

Untitled 3D Sonic Game
We open on Eggman’s lab upon the Death Egg-once again another revised edition of the spacecraft. We see various references to Sonic’s past, including Mecha Sonic, a few Gamma models, the robots from the Sonic movie, and on a holographic table is a blueprint for rebuilding the Egg Carrier.
The camera cuts to a familiar face-Infinite, just days after the events of Forces. He outstretches his hand toward a Shadow clone, which is so far only legs. He is obviously struggling to create the clone. He gets a little farther, but then exhaustion takes over him, and he falls over, the clone disappearing. Orbot, who isn’t far away from Infinite when the fall happens, reaches out to help him up-but Infinite puts a hand out, to stop Orbot. He gets up on his own, and walks away. Orbot looks at Cubot, who is a few feet away and playing Streets of Rage on a Genesis. “How on earth did we lose with an infinite weapon?” Orbot asks, to which his friend sadly shrugs. There is a blanket of disbelief all around the Death Egg and its few sentient residents-for how could Eggman lose with infinite power?
We now see Eggman, sitting at a base of operations that has a clear view of the planet. It is stunning, and he is staring at it, seemingly waiting for someone. But the visitor who opens the automatic door behind him is not who he was expecting. Infinite walks into the room, his footsteps loud on the gleaming titanium floor.
“Master, I am still too weak to create clones. I need more days of rest.” Eggman is silent, not even acknowledging Infinite’s presence-and understandably so. “Why won’t you listen to me?” Infinite says, louder now. It echoes through the large, transparent room.
“Do you know why I chose to name you ‘Infinite’?” Eggman asks, his fingers stroking his large mustache.
“Was it because of my infinite power?”
“No. Your power clearly isn’t infinite if you were bested by three small animals. No, your name was chosen because I needed you to believe your powers were infinite. Because while your drive to become stronger is incomparable to even myself, you are weak.”
Infinite stomps defiantly on the floor, creating a deafening boom. “I am not weak!”
“Yes, you were. Of all the gods, spirits, monsters, and gem-fueled lab rats that I’ve harnessed in order to defeat Sonic, you came the least close of them all. Sonic didn’t even need the Chaos Emeralds to defeat you-he needed a rookie soldier and a past version of himself. So clearly, yes, you are weak.”
“But, I,” Infinite stutters, clearly taken aback by these accusations. “But why did you need me then? I was clearly of some worth to you!”
“Why, of course you were, Infinite! Now, here’s the issue I always deal with when I have to fight Sonic. See, the Chaos Emeralds hold great power-and I want them. But it’s hard to do that when Sonic gets to them before I get the chance-and when he claims all seven, it’s over for me. If only I had a distraction-not quite a god, but strong enough to keep Sonic on his toes. That’s where you came in.” Eggman swivels in his chair to face Infinite. “You have the ability to alter realities of others, and to make infinite clones of living things-well, at least, you used to. That is a power most useful to distract my enemies. While you kept the freedom fighters distracted, I sent out one of my minions to gather the Chaos Emeralds.”
Infinite now shudders in surprise. “I was nothing-but a distraction?”
“Ah, don’t be like that. You did great! Well, great for someone of your abilities.” Eggman opens up a laptop-which has the SEGA logo on its back-and starts typing away. “Now Sonic and his friends are cleaning up the mess we made, unbeknownst of our full plan. Metal Sonic?” He says through an earpiece. “Are they collected?” He waits a second, then says, “Good. I expect to see you soon.”
Then, just at that second, the two evildoers see a glint in the stars. As the light source comes closer, we can see it is actually seven light sources. And now, right outside the Death Egg’s window hovers Metal Sonic, his blistering speed and flight powered by the Chaos Emeralds, which are circling his metallic torso.
“Thank you kindly, Metal Sonic. What took so long, anyway?”
“Complications arose.”
“Very well, tell me all about it later. I’m opening door A12 now. See you soon, my robot henchman.” Eggman presses a button to turn off the ear piece.
“What will you use them for?” Infinite asks curiously.

“I’ve thought about that a lot. I’m not just feeding them to my minions-that obviously hasn’t worked over the years. Blowing up the planet was fun, but it didn’t beat Sonic. And as enticing as it sounds to exterminate the second half of the moon, that just seems counterproductive. I have a better plan...” Eggman says, nefariously twisting his mustache. And as Infinite walks away, feeling useless, Eggman is feeling anything but as his 300 IQ brain begins to tinker.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Very nice! I like it! Though is "Untitled 3D Sonic Game" a reference to Untitled Goose Game? Naw, just kidding! But seriously, you did great work! Anyway, the ideas.

The first is the 360 Degree Homing Attack. Possibly existing as an upgrade ability, this allows Sonic to do a homing attack in any direction, with the left stick controlling the targeting and target cursors. With this, Sonic can hit enemies in any direction and possibly reach alternate routes.

The second is a use for the Spin Dash. On some structures, Sonic can spin on them or next to them to charge them, and when charged well enough, Sonic can effectively cause things to happen, like opening new routes or breaking large objects. This is all done by transferring momentum to things,

The third is what I call the Boost Overload which Sonic uses to make things go faster to the point of overloading when he is on them, like with the cart thing in Sonic Generations' Planet Wisp level. It causes things to go faster, to the point of overloading. This can also be used to break large structures Sonic could not destroy on his own.

And last one is based on the previous idea. This idea lets Sonic share his speed with anything else. For example, if with a swarm of insects, Sonic just has to press a button when near them to create a blue aura around him. After that, Sonic has to just run past them or through them in order to charge them with speed, costing energy from the boost gauge. Sonic can then be carried by them and go to places while the bugs go faster than they would otherwise. This also works on machines and plants and other animals, causing machines to work faster and causing plants to grow faster and thus allow Sonic to reach items and alternate paths easily. This also gives speed to Eggman's robots, however, so Sonic must be careful not to do that or Eggman's robots will be harder to deal with. This also works on non living things such as certain platforms and even the wind, the latter which can be used to get to other areas faster.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Thanks for your thoughts on my writing. I’m writing it as I go without an outline, because it’s just sort of my style. I don’t know if the rest of the stuff I’ve written on the game so far is as good though.
The 360 degree homing attack sounds good-pretty much like the homing attack in SA, just with a target? Or are you saying something else?
So the spindash thing sounds good-basically a 3D evolution of the blue circle thing from 2D games?
The boost enhancement and giving speed to other stuff sounds really fun! Maybe we could use the wind thing in an updated version of Kingdom Valley?
Also want to bounce an idea off of that. What if Sonic had to ride a motobug for one part of a level, and to do that he used Boost Enhancement do speed it up?
Some other general notes:
“Untitled 3D Sonic Game” because I have been throwing around some ideas for a name, but didn’t know if maybe putting one in the script would be forceful, since we didn’t discuss it earlier. Sonic Adventure 3 fits the gameplay, but if it’s a sequel to anything in terms of story, it’s a sequel to Forces. I thought maybe Sonic: Endless Possibilities, but that might make people confuse it as a Sonic Unleashed 2. We might have to come up with something entirely new here. Let me know if you have an idea!
And I didn’t mention it earlier, but of course I knew forces had QTE. I just didn’t know what the word was for it.
Finally, I have some more written, but it’s not as refined as that opening cutscene, because I haven’t proofread it yet. Would you still like to see it?

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
No problem.

And for the first idea, I meant a reticle, which is used to target things, like how Sonic has one for his homing attack since Sonic Unleashed.

On the second thing, what do you mean by blue circle? I forgot about that.

Glad you liked them all, to be honest, and for the Motobug, I'd say your riding on a Motobug is a great, sweet idea!

I'll think of a possible name for your story. And yes, I would like to see more.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Yeah, I knew what you meant with the reticle.
Blue circle was like the thing Sonic spindashed up against in the classic games to move structures. Check out here at 0:57

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=agDkywQJ7aU

Not sure if I’m doing this YouTube link stuff right, so if it doesn’t work just lmk.

Here’s what I’ve got on the next section of the game. Sorry if it’s a tad long: I won’t expect you to respond immediately.

“Tails, now that we’re in the air, could you tell me why we had to jump on the Tornado with such short notice?” The scene is exactly as Sonic described. The clouds block view of anything and everything, but Tails’ equipment on his dashboard keep him on track. The sky is a light blue, but the clouds are mostly grey, indicating a rain might come soon.
“Sorry about that-we just had to leave immediately. I was getting some unusually strong readings coming from Angel Island-the kind you only get from Chaos energy.”
“Well isn’t that normal? The Master Emerald is there.”
“Yeah, but these levels of Chaos energy are stronger than most anything I’ve seen here. Which has to mean-“
“The other Emeralds? We haven’t seen those since before Eggman’s takeover! But what if-“
“Exactly! He must have collected him while we had our heads turned.”
Sonic scowled. “That Egghead-haven’t we done this dance enough times? You would think he’s learned his lesson!”
“Then we’ll have to teach him again-and it looks like it won’t be long! Angel Island is just up ahead!” Sure enough, when a few clouds made way for the Tornado, we see Angel Island, beautifully rendered in 4K, like the rest of the game (hopefully).
“Wow, I haven’t been here in ages,” Sonic says with amazement.
“Yeah,” says Tails. “It almost makes you just want to stop and-“ Whatever Tails was about to say was cut short by fire coming in from Eggman’s drone ships. Similar to how they appeared in Sonic Adventure’s Tornado levels, but with more detail. This is when we are introduced to the Tornado’s controls. We can fire, speed up and slow down, and do a U-turn to challenge the drones (you can just speed through the level and not fight all of them, but the U-turn is really just used by people who want to 100% this section). It should also be noted that, while the game works without it, it would be very nice to have battle-damage for the plane-when it takes certain amounts of damage, it will receive scars, burn marks, and exposed wiring.
At the end of this scene, a laser shoots out from behind some trees-a large and strong one that takes off an entire wing of the Tornado.
“Tails, Tails, TAILS!” Sonic screams as he clings onto the intact wing.
“I’m aiming for the trees to minimize damage to the plane-then, we’re jumping!”
“What?!” Sonic screams in disbelief, still spinning with his legs flailing in the wind.
“Aaaand...” Tails gets the plane steady enough so that it will land in the jungle of Angel Island. “Now, grab hold!” He reaches an arm out to Sonic. Sonic performs a homing attack to get to Tails and grabs his arm. As Sonic andTails get into their classic flying position, the Tornado crashes into some trees.
“That’ll be a pain to fix,” Tails says. It’s obvious from his voice that he is struggling to lift Sonic, so the camera cuts while Tails flies down to drop them somewhere safe.
Stage 1: Angel Island Zone
This is the introductory level to Sonic’s brand-spanking-new formula of movement, so it must be a tutorial of legendary status. It must also be like previous level 1 stages in Sonic games, where the layout ingrained into the player’s mind, and can be speedran in a fun manner like Green Hill or City Escape. Early on we reintroduce the player to the common mechanics of 3D Sonic-homing attack, light speed dash, and just getting the player comfortable with the new movement. Later on we have a slope Sonic goes down, and at the bottom, a flat stretch of land to demonstrate how this game is based on momentum rather than raw speed. Up ahead is a spring, and along the way of the spring, going at the speed Sonic has been going, they will get a ring in midair-but just above that ring is a Red Ring, which the player will wonder about how it could be obtained. Later they will learn that they can boost right before hitting the spring to gain more momentum on it (as you suggested). They will also learn that, by running into a spring at low speeds, Sonic just sort of dies without ground beneath him. Other things are introduced in Angel Island, including wall-running, running through walls, and momentum-based loops/corkscrews. Not too much new stuff, or the player will be confused. (I forgot, but I should also mention that Tails will be running behind Sonic for most of the time-but the AI will be programmed so that it doesn’t get in Sonic’s way.
After beating the level, the story picks up.

We see Knuckles, standing guard in front of the Master Emerald’s pedestal, with his fists at the ready and looking out to the jungle. We hear several crashes and metallic whirrs before something emerges from the trees.
There, in all of its glory, is the Egg Robo-except this time, it’s different, somehow.
Knuckles is obviously taken aback, and a bit scared, but he doesn’t show that. “You just won’t give up, now, will you? I can’t let you take the Master Emerald that easily! Even with your new toy!”
A speaker booms out from the head of the Egg Robo. “Oh, and don’t you love it?” Eggman asks jokingly. “It’s got all the bells and whistles. I modeled the spines on the back after Sonic to emulate his Spindash technique. High-power jet boosters on the feet and arms allow for swift movement on air and in the ground. I put panoramic cameras all around me here in the base of operations-“ cut to Eggman’s view-“so I have a 360 degree view. No one can sneak up on me now!” Back to Knuckles and the Egg Robo. “I call her the Super Egg Robo! And while I would love to tell you about more of her beautifully crafted features-crafted by myself, of course-I’ll have to take the Master Emerald now. It would be wise if you stepped aside to minimize injury.”
“I won’t do that, and you know it.”
“Ah well, I was lying. I was going to exterminate you either way.” The Egg Robo prepares for battle by planting its foot in the ground, which is now muddy due to rains. In fact, the whole area is raining-not pouring quite yet, but definitely not sprinkling.
Knuckles takes a step back and puts a gloved hand over the Master Emerald. His quills (or whatever they are) begin to levitate, and his skin becomes brighter. Several pink sparks of electricity shoot from his hand touching the Emerald.
Eggman, inside the Super Egg Robo, is unsurprised. “Can’t say I didn’t see that one coming.” The monster of a robot clenches its spiked fist, winds it back, and swings it onto the reddish-pink echidna.
Knuckles puts up his hand in an effort to stop it, and while he uses the Master Emerald’s power to hold the fist for a second-finally surprising Eggman-the Robo succeeds in its blow, and Knuckles is flown yards back.
“And now, for the Master Emerald.”
“We won’t let you just walk away with that!” Sonic exclaims as he runs out from the jungle.
“Ah, Sonic, I’m so glad you arrived. More chances to test out my Super Egg Robo on live subjects! I assume the fox is with you, too?”
“You bet I am!” Tails flies out from the trees.
“Well, what are we just standing around for? Let’s beat that egg!”Sonic runs forward as the camera pans to back view of him. The Super Egg Robo fight begins now.
It starts with a short, in-game cutscene that shows off the body of the SER. During the cutscene, Eggman says the following: “I cannot wait to show you what this thing can do!” The letters S U P E R E G G R O B O appear on screen one after another, SA style. During the fight, Eggman lists his creation’s different abilities, with Sonic making a quip every now and then. At one point, Sonic makes another egg-joke. Eggman responds: “Joke’s on you, Sonic. If my calculations are correct-and of course they’re correct, I did them-there are only 162 possible egg-related jokes left for you to use. Most of them aren’t very good.”
The actual fight consists of Eggman waving the old-school checkered ball and chain around on his robo’s hand, running around with it. At one point, Eggman will reach out and extending hand to grab Sonic-which the player will have to use drift against to escape. They’ll drift around the SER to tie it up, and deliver a blow to the head of it, slightly cracking the window behind which Eggman is. In the next sequence, the SER will wind up a spindash (“Hey, that’s my move!” Sonic quips,) that Sonic must boost out of the way of to escape. After three spindashes, the SER will become dizzy (“I’ll work out that little kink later” Eggman says) and Sonic can perform his second homing attack. In the next part, Eggman shoots beams from the robo’s hand, seven of them, each one a different Chaos Emerald color. Sonic must dodge each of them and then homing attack-but this time, a metallic covering inserts itself over the glass, causing Sonic to awkwardly bounce off without damaging the Robo.
“Finally decided to add that after years of having my windows destroyed. I decided to give you false hope for your first two attacks. Now, I’ll be taking that Emerald!”
Back to the cutscene. Knuckles is now standing on top of the Master Emerald. He is fully pink and ready for battle. “You might win, but I’ll put up a fight whether or not you walk away with the Master Emerald.”
“You’re wrong. For one, I will walk away with the Emerald-not doing so isn’t an option. And for two, you aren’t putting up a fight. Chaos...”
“What-“ Sonic starts.
“How-“ Tails says.
“Impossible-“ Knuckles adds.
“Control!” And just like that, Knuckles is frozen. The Super Egg Robo reaches out a hand-and there appears a red Chaos Emerald. The Emerald inserts itself into a slot on the back of the hand. Eggman delivers a blow that knocks Knuckles far away, up, up, and out of view.
“He’s using the Chaos Emeralds-all of them, possibly!” Tails says this as he twirls his tails in anger.
“You’ll pay for that, Egghead!”
“Ugh, so unoriginal. Gets on my nerves. Anyways, I’ll just fly away with the Master Emerald in my possession. Please don’t pursue me, it would be a waste of energy for both of us. Well actually just for you, since this robo doesn’t lose energy-Chaos, as you would know it, is very efficient! Maybe I’ll make it into a renewable energy source in Eggman Land after I torture and destroy all three of you. Maybe I’ll throw in that pink one for good measure. Be seeing you!” The Super Egg Robo flies away, a few feet off the ground, sort of how Metal Sonic would get around. It has the Master Emerald in a claw attached to the back of the robo.
“I’m not letting him get away with this! Stay right behind me, Tails. And when we get the chance, we have to go help Knuckles!”
The next scene is a chase-while the SER is making a break away, Sonic is chasing after it. Unlike normal chase battles in Sonic games, this one has Sonic running through the level he just ran through-but in the opposite point from where he started. So he’ll be going downhill quite a bit, which helps with gaining enough momentum. He’ll try to homing attack the chain that is attached to the claw holding the Master Emerald, but after a few hits Eggman will simply pick up the Emerald with the SER’s hand. At this point, Sonic will homing attack the Emerald, breaking it and scattering the pieces into the air before they fall off the island.
“Darn you, Sonic! Well, I’m off to the Death Egg to begin work on plan B-what an inconvenience.“ The ground shakes loudly, and Sonic nearly loses his balance. The sound of the Super Egg Robo’s engines starting up are audible over the rumbling. “Well, I would wish you good luck getting off this island, but I have a feeling you won’t need it. Which is great!-because I’m far from finished with you.” And with that, Eggman’s robo, flies off, in the direction of the distant (but slightly visible) Death Egg.
And just at that moment, Angel Island begins its speedy descent. Sonic grabs onto a nearby tree as he is thrusted into the air. He braces fo impact, anticipating the harsh and inevitable landing.
Then, he looks to his side and sees Knuckles, holding on to a tree as well, and Tails, holding on to Knuckles’ other hand.
“Hey, Sonic! I’m gonna let go of this tree, and when I do, grab on!”
Sure thing, Knuckles!”
“NOW!” As soon as Knuckles lets go of the tree, Sonic reaches his hand out and grabs Knuckles’ hand. Tails supports all three of them in flight as Angel Island falls plummets beneath them. The Island crashes into the Mystic Ruins sea, with the heroes having a view of it from overhead.

“Deja-vu,” Knuckles says in response. Tails flies off to find a landing spot as the shot fades out.

Top Bottom