• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ideas or help on helping someone learn/master the fundamentals of Smash 4

JaceSSB

Smash Rookie
Hi All,

Recently I've been trying to help my training partner improve his Smash 4 fundamentals. He mains Fox and has amazing tech skill but the fundamentals were lacking or not there. What have been doing the past couple days is I started from the bottom of the tier list in this case I played Ganon because I wanted to see how many mistakes I could abuse at the beginning from his game play. Before each match we would look at the frame data on Kurogane of the character or any special properties before we started so nothing was a surprise. Basically we would play 2, save the replays and reviewed them after. I would go over the replays to see what he was thinking in micro situations or what he can do better fundamentals wise so like positioning, spacing, baiting, conditioning, edge guarding, etc. It actually helped a lot and we would go up a few character spots or a tier until he was dominating against the character. Once we started to improve his fundamentals we would then work on his habits and continue to improve his fundamentals. In this case he had a tendency to Fox Illusion on stage in not so good situations when he didn't need to. So what we did was ok in these next matches you can use Fox Illusion to recover to ledge but your not allowed to use it on stage. It actually helped a lot and the habit is pretty much gone. Once we saw it go away I said ok you can use Fox Illusion once on stage per match but if you do it has to follow up into an aerial or reset neutral or do something beneficial. Anyway I was curious how do people learn/practice/master fundamentals? Any advice too on Fox specific fundamentals that people practice and how would be great. Any responses appreciated! Thanks!

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
I ask this same question every day. I would be a liar if I told you fundamentals are learnable. I think it's more of a talent that is polished if anything.

Top Bottom