• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ideas for a Pokémon Smash Bros.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
With this year being pretty big for Pokémon, I started brainstorming ideas for a Pokémon fighting game based off the Super Smash Bros. style of gameplay and I wish to discuss it more with you guys.

In this thread I’d like to discuss ideas for a game like this with various topics ranging from:
-Character roster
-Character movesets
-Battle mechanics
-Stages/music
-Assist Pokémon
-Modes
-and any other topic we can think of...

To start off, I’ll list my own roster for this. You don’t have to do yours the same way but feel free to use the same method as me if you want. I’ve limited my roster to 10 characters per Gen (separating Pikachu for mascot reasons and Melmetal) and could be extended if I decide to do this again in the future.

Gen I:
Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Eevee, Machamp, Gengar, Meowth, Alakazam, Snorlax, Mewtwo.
Gen II:
Feraligatr, Typhosion, Scizor, Heracross, Quagsire, Ampharos, Granbull, Azumarill, Tyranitar, Entei.
Gen III:
Sceptile, Blaziken, Swampert, Gardevoir, Mawile, Breloom, Metagross, Aggron, Absol, Deoxys.
Gen IV:
Empoleon, Infernape, Lucario, Garchomp, Weavile, Croagunk, Electivire, Abomasnow, Roserade, Darkrai.
Gen V:
Oshawott, Zoroark, Darmanitan, Scrafty, Lilligant, Bisharp, Golurk, Hydreigon, Meloetta, Genesect.
Gen VI:
Greninja, Braixen, Chesnaught, Hawlucha, Noivern, Pangoro, Aegislash, Heliolisk, Goodra, Hoopa.
Gen VII:
Incineroar, Decidueye, Lycanroc, Bewear, Golisopod, Mimikyu, Marshadow, Zeraora, Tapu Koko, Pheromosa.
Extended:
Pikachu and Melmetal.

Other fighters I’m considering:
Hitmonlee, Sableye, Gallade, Mienshao, Poipole, Lopunny

EDIT: Replaced Ludicolo with Metagross and Lopunny with Roserade

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Roster:
Squirtle Squad
Magikarp
4kids Meta Knight

D

Deleted member

I'd honestly rather have a new Pokken with a better roster (That includes the Squirtle Squad)

D

Deleted member

Hmm, I will think of some later. I have other stuff to do.
Sounds fun!

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
My roster Idea again:

GenI: Pikachu, Ivysaur, Mewtwo, Gengar, Meowth, Alakazam, Dragonite, Ninetales, Machamp

GenII: Pichu, Scizor, Espeon, Umbreon, Donphan, Typhlosion, Tyranitar, Slowking

GenIII: Rayquaza*, Gardevoir, Metagross, Latios, Absol, Camerupt, Grovyle, Flygon

GenIV: Arceus*, Lucario, Weavile, Garchomp, Dusknoir, Abomasnow, Mismagius, Croagunk, Torterra, Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf (as one character)

GenV: Genesect, Chandelure, Beheeyem, Keldeo, Zoroark, Whimsicott, Emolga, Hydreigon, Landorus (T), Serperior

GenVI: Greninja, Aegislash, Braixen, Barbaracle, Dedene, Malamar, Sylveon, Noivern

GenVII: Decidueye, Incineroar, Golisopod, Mimikyu, Nihilego, Tapu Fini, Sylvally, Alolan Sandslash

GenVIII: Melmetal I guess.

Based on popularity, uniquety, type-reoresentation and personal preference.
Larger generations have more Mons, smaller generations have less.

Now there are some Challenges here. Some need to be scaled down (Arceus, Rayquaza) but that's easily done.
Some Pokémon:
Float exclusively (Aegislash, Emolga, Hydreigon, Beheeyem, Chandelure, Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf, Mismagius, Dusknoir, Tapu Fini, Latios)
Are Snakes (Serperior, Also Rayquaza)
Are very heavy quadrepeds who wouldn't move around as much (Torterra, Camerupt, Metagross)
Have otherwise difficult body types (Mimikyu, Malamar)

Most of these issues are creelatively fixable, with some tinkering

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I like this idea: personally Zelda would be my go-to franchise for a Smash-style game (cos it's my favourite series and at this point it seems like the only chance we have of getting more Zelda characters in Smash), but Pokemon arguably has the most roster potential and could have some really unique mechanics and stages

I've posted this before in the social thread but am reposting here (I've also gone for the ten per gen):

Gen I: Pikachu, Eevee, Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle, Ivysaur, Chariard), Meowth, Jigglypuff, Gengar, Arcanine, Mewtwo
Gen II: Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Togepi, Ampharos, Scizor, Smeargle, Wobuffet, Suicune, Tyranitar, Celebi
Gen III: Hoenn Pokemon Trainer (Mudkip, Grovyle, Blaziken), Breloom, Gardevoir, Absol, Ludicolo, Flygon, Aggron, Deoxys
Gen IV: Empoleon, Infernape, Staraptor, Luxray, Croagunk, Roserade, Weaville, Garchomp, Lucario, Darkrai
Gen V: Chandelure, Golurk, Scrafty, Reuniclus, Bisharp, Krookodile, Zoroark, Landorus-Therian, Meloetta, Genesect
Gen VI: Braixen, Greninja, Hawlucha, Floette, Aegislash, Tyrantrum, Noivern, Zygarde, Diancie, Hoopa
Gen VII: Incineroar, Decidueye, Mimikyu, Bewear, Lycanroc, Golisopod, Silvally, Tapu Koko, Buzzwole, Pheromosa

I've tried to make it a mix of iconic Pokemon, Pokemon which sum up what's unique about a generation, Pokemon that are fan favourites and a few personal picks

Happy to give justification if any of the picks don't make sense

BowserKing

Smash Lord
My Pokémon smash bros roster below in the spoiler

Gen 1: :ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultmewtwo::034::052::024::133:
Gen 2: :ultpichu::155::190::212::214::217::229::245::248::249:
Gen 3: Sceptile, Gardivoir, Sharpedo, Aggron, Slaking, Pelipper, Mightyena, Relicanth, Walrein and Rayquaza
Gen 4: :ultlucario:, Empoleon, Bastiodon, Rampardos, Skuntank, Garchomp, Carnivine, Toxicroak, Bidoof and Giratina
Gen 5: Gothitelle, Zebstrika, Zoroark, Snivy, Stoutland, Excadrill, Scoliopede, Galvantula, Beartic and Genesect
Gen 6: :ultgreninja:, Tyrantrum, Pyroar, Pangoro, Dragalge, Noivern, Gourgeist, Zygarde, Barbaracle and Aurorus
Gen 7: :ultincineroar:, Crabrawler, Lycanroc, Bewear, Toucannon, Golisopod, Mimikyu, Necrozma, Meltan and Marshadow
Bonus: Scourbunny, Sobble and Grokey

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Seems we got a pretty good start on the roster choices,

I don’t know when we’ll start doing moveset ideas but I’d like to ask, do you guys think the Pokémon that’ve appeared in the actual Smash games should keep or at least play similar to their Smash counterparts for this game or maybe we could switch things up a bit?

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138

I don’t know when we’ll start doing moveset ideas but I’d like to ask, do you guys think the Pokémon that’ve appeared in the actual Smash games should keep or at least play similar to their Smash counterparts for this game or maybe we could switch things up a bit?
I have some ideas about that!
I want to differentiate Pichu a bit, to make him more of a reference to Guardian Signs (give him his ukulele for attacks)
Puff is tricky because I hate his face.
Ivysaur is my perfect little boi.
Charizard is interesting. I'd like him to be a little less slugish.
Mewtwo's pokken style (more rushdown-projectiles) seems more appropreate.
Lucario could a bit faster, more martial arts based.
Greninja and Incineroar are better than I could have imagined.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Based on what you Both said, I updated my roster proposal. I added some commentary on how easy I think it would be to make a Moveset for Them and would like your input
Read it and weep
GenI:
Very easy to make: Pikachu, Ivysaur, Mewtwo, Gengar, Machamp, Charizard, Alakazam

Decently easy to make: Meowth, Dragonite, Ninetales

Challenging: Eevee (Moveset?)

GenII:
Very easy to make: Pichu, Scizor

Decently easy to make: Eseon, Umbreon, Donphan

Doable: Typhlosion, Tyranitar, Slowking, Feraligatr (Heavy/slow boys are hard to balance)

Challenging: Ampharos (Moveset?)

GenIII:
Very Easy to make: Gardevoir, Grovyle, Blaziken, Flygon

Decently easy to make: Breloom

Doable: Absol, Ludicolo, Aggron

Challenging: Metagross, Latios

GenIV:

Very easy to make: Lucario, Weavile, Garchomp, Croagunk, Empoleon, Darkrai

Decently easy to make: Abomasnow, Mismagius, Infernape

Doable: Dusknoir

Challenging: Torterra, Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf (as one character)

GenV:
Very easy to make: Chandelure (Use Pokken playstyle), Hydreigon

Decently easy to make: Genesect, Zoroark, Keldeo, Whimsicott, Meloetta

Doable: T-Lando, Scrafty, Bisharp

Challenging: Serperior, Golurk (Downscaling)

GenVI:
Very easy to make: Greninja, Aegislash (Pokken), Braixen

Decently easy to make: Dedenne, Sylveon

Doable: Barbaracle, Noivern, Hawlucha, Hoopa (What to do with transformations?)

Challenging: Malamar

GenVII:
Very easy to make: Decidueye, Incineroar

Decently easy to make: Mimikyu, Bewear, Tapu Koko

Doable: Golisopod, Sylvally, A-Sandy (Has to be slow), Lycanroc, Pheromosa

GenVIII: Melmetal I guess.

cut from the roster: Rayquaza, Camerupt, Arceus, Emolga, Beheeyem, Tapu Fini, Nihilego

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Here's my roster, that I made the same size of the current Smash one. Basically, I took every Pokemon in Pokken and Smash, gave each gen 6 more Pokemon, and then filled in two "mascots". I also did 7 echo fighters, one of which is Pichu.

Mascots:
Pikachu (Pichu e)
Eevee
Grovyle

Gen 1:
Ivysaur
Charizard
Squirtle (Tirtouga e)
Blastoise
Jigglypuff (Rowlet e)
Gengar
Machamp
Meowth
Golem
Kadabra
(Mega) Kangaschan
Ninetales (A-Ninetales e)
Sandslash
Mewtwo

Gen 2
Scizor
Marill
Togepi
Heracross
Ledian
Tyranitar
Celebi
Suicune

Gen 3
Sceptile
Blaziken
Gardevoir
Swampert
Aggron
Mawile
Saybleye
Bagon
Deoxys

Gen 4
Weavile
Empoleon
Crogunk
Lucario (Zeraora e)
Garchomp
Turtwig
Monferno (Ambipom e)
Spiritomb
Vespiquen
Rampardos
Uxie (Azelf/Mesprit as alts)
Darkrai

Gen 5
Chandelure
Servine
Oshawott
Gurdurr
Gigalith
Kyurem
Genesect

Gen 6
Greninja
Braixen
Aegislash
Chespin
Hawlucha
Talonflame
Tyrantrum
Heliolisk
Hoopa

Gen 7
Decidueye
Incineroar
Briione
Dusk Lycanroc (Mightena e)
Mimikyu
Tapu Koko
Buzzwole
Blacephalon

It's pretty bad, I'll revise it later.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Here's my roster, that I made the same size of the current Smash one. Basically, I took every Pokemon in Pokken and Smash, gave each gen 6 more Pokemon, and then filled in two "mascots". I also did 7 echo fighters, one of which is Pichu.

Mascots:
Pikachu (Pichu e)
Eevee
Grovyle

Gen 1:
Ivysaur
Charizard
Squirtle (Tirtouga e)
Blastoise
Jigglypuff (Rowlet e)
Gengar
Machamp
Meowth
Golem
Kadabra
(Mega) Kangaschan
Ninetales (A-Ninetales e)
Sandslash
Mewtwo

Gen 2
Scizor
Marill
Togepi
Heracross
Ledian
Tyranitar
Celebi
Suicune

Gen 3
Sceptile
Blaziken
Gardevoir
Swampert
Aggron
Mawile
Saybleye
Bagon
Deoxys

Gen 4
Weavile
Empoleon
Crogunk
Lucario (Zeraora e)
Garchomp
Turtwig
Monferno (Ambipom e)
Spiritomb
Vespiquen
Rampardos
Uxie (Azelf/Mesprit as alts)
Darkrai

Gen 5
Chandelure
Servine
Oshawott
Gurdurr
Gigalith
Kyurem
Genesect

Gen 6
Greninja
Braixen
Aegislash
Chespin
Hawlucha
Talonflame
Tyrantrum
Heliolisk
Hoopa

Gen 7
Decidueye
Incineroar
Briione
Dusk Lycanroc (Mightena e)
Mimikyu
Tapu Koko
Buzzwole
Blacephalon

It's pretty bad, I'll revise it later.
I never even considered echoes, though I think I’ll wait until I have movesets figured out first.

I like this idea: personally Zelda would be my go-to franchise for a Smash-style game (cos it's my favourite series and at this point it seems like the only chance we have of getting more Zelda characters in Smash), but Pokemon arguably has the most roster potential and could have some really unique mechanics and stages

I've posted this before in the social thread but am reposting here (I've also gone for the ten per gen):

Gen I: Pikachu, Eevee, Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle, Ivysaur, Chariard), Meowth, Jigglypuff, Gengar, Arcanine, Mewtwo
Gen II: Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Togepi, Ampharos, Scizor, Smeargle, Wobuffet, Suicune, Tyranitar, Celebi
Gen III: Hoenn Pokemon Trainer (Mudkip, Grovyle, Blaziken), Breloom, Gardevoir, Absol, Ludicolo, Flygon, Aggron, Deoxys
Gen IV: Empoleon, Infernape, Staraptor, Luxray, Croagunk, Roserade, Weaville, Garchomp, Lucario, Darkrai
Gen V: Chandelure, Golurk, Scrafty, Reuniclus, Bisharp, Krookodile, Zoroark, Landorus-Therian, Meloetta, Genesect
Gen VI: Braixen, Greninja, Hawlucha, Floette, Aegislash, Tyrantrum, Noivern, Zygarde, Diancie, Hoopa
Gen VII: Incineroar, Decidueye, Mimikyu, Bewear, Lycanroc, Golisopod, Silvally, Tapu Koko, Buzzwole, Pheromosa

I've tried to make it a mix of iconic Pokemon, Pokemon which sum up what's unique about a generation, Pokemon that are fan favourites and a few personal picks

Happy to give justification if any of the picks don't make sense
Actually I have an idea for the trainers would be represented and it would be this game’s equivalent to Squad Strike.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130

I imagine they'd play largely the same (though ideally the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon would be able to have a proper down-b). Maybe Pikachu would get catasropika as a new Final Smash too.

Actually I have an idea for the trainers would be represented and it would be this game’s equivalent to Squad Strike.
That sounds cool, as it'd be closer to how Pokemon itself works

to be honest, there are only a few generations where I could justify Pokemon Trainer as a character (those where you have three popular starters)

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Apologies for not being active here the past couple days, but now that we all have the characters we want to see, why don’t we start workshopping some moveset ideas for them? For now just special moves and Final Smash equivalent is fine though feel free to go into as much detail as you like.

Last edited:

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Apologies for not being active here the past couple days, but now that we all have the characters we want to see, why don’t we start workshopping some moveset ideas for them? For now just special moves and Final Smash equivalent is fine though feel free to go into as much detail as you like.
Allright,

Expect my Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf Moveset soon

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Here is my moveset for Lugia

Special Moves

Neutral Special: AreoBlast: Lugia's signature move, as Lugia fires it from it's mouth, doing damage, but as you hold it, the damage enemies will take from it (one press would be 10%, but a full charge would be 45%)

Side Special: Wind Gust: Lugia flaps it's hands, creating wind gusts that deal damage (20% range)

Up-Special: Rising Up: Lugia's recovery move. Lugia is one of the biggest playable Pokémon by far (Rayquaza, Giratina, Zygarde and Necrozma are bigger), but it has great recovery. While it can use the jump button 4 times, it's recovery move has Lugia flap it's hands quickly propelling it 3 meters up, while it does 16% damage

Down-Special: Predicted Return: Lugia's Counterattack, when enemies are ready to attack, Lugia uses it's defence to tank the hit, before using it's quick AreoBlast to counterattack, damage depends on what attack was landed. Interestingly, Lugia will take 5% damage from a landed attack, but Lugia's counter is till super effective.

Final Smash: Whirlwind: Lugia creates a Tornado move that damages opponents quickly. It is preformed similar to Corrins final smash, but with Lugia spinning around quickly. It does 57.5% damage

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I’m thinking about basing my Eevee moveset off of the Partner Eevee from the Let’s Go! games:

Neutral Special: Buzzy Buzz (Electric)-Eevee summons a burst of electricity directly front of it, can paralyze the opponent.

Side Special: Sizzly Slide (Fire)-Eevee leaps forward in a flaming tackle, similar to Flate Blitz

Up Special: Sparkly Swirl (Fairy)-a sparkling pink whirlwind carries Eevee upwards, deals damage

Down Special: Bouncy Bubble-Eevee throws out a bubble that bounces along the ground, any opponents that get hit by it will take damage and restores some of Eevee‘s HP

Final Smash: I’m not entirely sure how I want it to work but I definitely would like to see Eevee summon all 8 current Eeveelutions perform a massive attack

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf!

Now these three are a bit of a project of mine. As I notes earlier, they're one character. They "rotate" similar to the Pokémon Trainer in Smash, but with different mechanics.

- How do they function on stage?

One of the three is on stage, floating slightly above the ground, while the other two float behind them in the background, animated to cheer on the active member.

- How do they switch?

The mechanics for switching between the pixies are based on their moves. Safe for their recovery, every move switches their positions before using the actual attack. This makes their specials a bit slow, but their normals are hella fast to compensate.
While switching, the pixies take damage but no knockback. Switching takes 12 frames.

- What's the difference?

Mesprit is an allrounder and all base stats are based on them. Mesprit is also the slowest of the three.

Uxie is more defensive. They take slightly less damage and knockback, but deals less as well. Uxie is the middle one in terms of speed.

Azelf is more offensive, basically making them Uxie in reverse. However, they are slightly faster than Uxie.

- The moves

Neutral B: Mesprits Future Sight

Mesprit is switched forward and creates a Blue orb. This takes 23 frames to form, and when it's done, three stretched out bolts of Blue energy the size of falco-lazers shoot up into the air, past the top-blastzone, in immediate succession. Opponents hit on the way up are dealt 1,5 % and 2 horizontal knockback per Bolt. (So basically nothing).

When you press the B button again, which van be whenever, even when Mesprit is not active, the bolts come crashing down with the speed of Incineroar UpB. Anyone hit by a bolt gets dealt 12% and 70 knockback in a 40 degree angle. Hitting an opponent causes a bolt to dissappear, but the knockback allows the following two to pass on.

When a bolt hits the ground, it explodes in a shockwaves the width and hight of a Battlefield Platform. This shockwave has the same damage stats as the bolts themselves, but with just enough hitstun to trap opponents for the next bolt, meaning an opponent hit on the ground may take the full 36% damage if your timing and positioning is spot on.

SideB: Azelfs Extrasensory

Azelf swaps in with gold-glowing eyes. Immediately after swapping, they Fire a Swift beam of rainbow coloured energy forward in a horizontal line. It remains on screen for 3 frames, dealing 12% and 30 knockback in a 20 degree angle.

UpB: Levitate

The other 2 pixies come to the foreground and carry the active Pixie upwards about the hight of the middle Battlefield platform. This does not deal damage or knockback but also doesn't send the active Pixie into free fall.

DownB: Uxie's Endure

Uxie swaps in surrounded by two swirling red orbs the size of their head. They Stay for An additional 12 frames after the switch. If one of them is hit by An attack, it dissappears, after which the other one explodes with a range of a Battlefield platform, dealing the damage absorbed by the first orb, but only 1 knockback to anyone in range, including Uxie.
This means that even if opponents are out of range to be countered, Uxie negates the knockback.

Final Smash: Red Chain

The pixies float to the foreground, trapping anyone who ends up within the triangle they form and entering a cutscene at Spear Pillar. Here, they summon Palkia, Dialga and Giratina who all use their signature moves, Special Rend, Roar of Time and Shadow Force, on the opponent. The cutscene ends and the victim is dealt 50% and sent at a 45 degree angle with 80 base knockback.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Here's what i would choose:
(20 for each Gen, except for Sword/Shield cause more are coming soon)
Gen I:

Gen II:

Gen III:

Gen IV:

Gen V:

Gen VI:

Gen VII:

Gen VIII:
Grookey
Scorbunny
Sobble
Corviknight
Dreadnaw
Eldegeos
Wooloo
Yamper (It's freaking cute!)
Impadimp
The 2 wolf legendaries (forgot their names)

(Each gen has 20 Poke'mon each, might do more when soon)
(Note: I'm having a bit of trouble)

Last edited:

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
I have a rather extensive reply about this, as I've often thought to myself while playing Smash, that a Pokemon game with a large cast that had Smash mechanics would be a very rich game for a competitive environment. It would be a HUGE sell.

I'll only be touching on a few of the sub topics you provided in the original post, but extensively. I'll start with a small roster list, and reasons why, then move to other things like small mechanics additions.

NOTE: This is only some of the Pokemon I would like to see in such a development, where there are honestly a TON of candidates, but these are the first that come to my mind and with some details as to why.

Infernape - As a fighting pokemon, it's obvious to see why it would work in a platform fighter. A close quarters flame monkey that has fast frame data and combo options as a combo character, with 1 zoning tool in the form of Ember or Fire Blast.

Dragonite - A multi jump character, heavy and hits hard. It would be the 3D without the hammer and gordos, and instead of gordos, could have a charging beam like Rob to apply Hyper Beam as an attack to replicate the common Dragonite build found in Gen 1. Would be super dope if it had a longer charge time like Wario, and the full power beam killed like Whaft, but leaving him in freefall or stun like Jigglys rest, since it is hyper beam after all.

Plusle & Minun - It's obvious. You HAVE to have an Ice Climbers replica but with a Pikachu style move set. That would be super dope. Would play them to be honest.

Electabuzz - Having access to all elemental punches and especially thunder punch, as well as things like Thunder Bolt and Thunder, it would be interesting to see it as a semi-zoner with close quarters potential that is a little bit more on the laggy side, but he hits pretty hard.

Buizel - It's a water pokemon that stands on 2 legs and his playstyle should 100% stay true to how it functions in Pokemon games. Fast, combo based utility pokemon. I'd imagine it being like a mix of Sheik and Greninja.

Alakazam - This would be a true zoner. It would also be cool to see him use Psychic specifically as an attack that freezes projectiles or thrown items in place for X amount of time, while swapping the hitbox to be Alakazams attack instead. Also, I think he should have Future Sight, which would apply an RNG mechanic as to where on the stage the attack will land, but it will be sudden and VERY powerful, in fact, it should be more powerful based on how far away Alakazam is from the attack. Also a mega evo candidate.

Sceptile - Come on, do I really need to explain this one? Also a mega evo candidate.

Aegislash - Down Special should be the input to swap between shield and sword mode. In shield mode, he becomes a super heavy and sluggish, with a moveset swap that is all defensive play and 2 different counters, one for physical contact and the other being a reflector for projectiles. He should also have a super armor move that is simply just that, super armor. When in Sword mode, he becomes a mid-tier speed and hits a LOT harder, with nice hitbox sizes as well, but he becomes a lightweight character in this form.

Miltank - Would be interesting as a super heavy, also having the ability to perform Milk Drink to heal good damage. It should have Rollout like Jigglypuff but should reflect projectiles while being used and bury instead of dealing large knockback. I would love this character a LOT.

Absol - A pokemon that runs on all fours should be interesting. Think of Sylvanos from Rivals of Aether. It's a short character, so it's safer from aerials from above, but it's also a long character, so more prone to being hit on the sides while dash dancing or performing general movement. He should be very fast, and a poke based character with a tornado projectile like Mii Sword Fighter.

Scizor - A steel type bug pokemon. He should be generally slow in overall movement, but his attacks should project him in burst movements, with things like Extreme Speed and Bullet Punch. Essentially what I mean is, run like Ganon, but his attacks have that Wizzard Foot style burst movement but even faster because it's called exteme speed and bullet punch. Also a mega evo candidate.

Side Note: Bird Pokemon in general I'll stay away from because that's hard to consider for a platform fighter, seems broken.

Toxicroak - Let's be honest, he'd be dumb slow, but he would apply a bleed/poison mechanic on hit for his jabs and tilts, and his smash attacks deal more damage and knockbox on players who are currently poisoned. Could do the same thing for other poison types.

Ursaring - It's a bear and would be a valid normal type. I'd imagine it as a grappler type character with heavy hitting tilts that are a bit on the slower side of frame data.

Umbreon - BIASED FIGHT ME. He'd be a cleric style 4 footed character running around on all 4s, camping heal moves like Heal Bell and Moonlight, he'd also use moves like pursuit and feint attack. He can charge curse which would reduce speed until the meter runs dry, but also increase both knockback power and resistance.

Z moves should function like the Final Smash Meter does for Ultimate, and Mega Evolutions should automatically trigger on your last stock.

The game should feature both blast zones AND stamina at the same time, but instead of having fixed knockback like in Smash, there is still knockback growth, allowing for both stage elimination and HP depletion for stock.

Super effective hits will increase damage 1.5X but will not apply more knockback.

Hits that are not very effective will apply normal damage but have reduced knockback.

If we ignore the previous mechanic I mentioned about mega evos where they auto trigger on last stock, we could instead apply an allstar mechanic, where you choose multiple pokemon per team, and when you lose the stock, you switch to the next pokemon. To touch up more on this, additionally, you should be allowed to switch pokemon every X amount of seconds (60 seconds sounds fine to me), but the Pokemon you switched from will maintain its damage, however, it will heal 1% every 5 seconds while switched out. This could be cool if attacks like Wish were in the game, which heals a turn later in pokemon, instead, you can Wish, then switch out and heal whoever you switched into, just like in the pokemon games.

You shouldn't be allowed to pick the same pokemon twice, however, that makes room to allow Ditto to be a useful candidate as a Pokemon, having all special moves be transform, and depending on the directional input, will transform into X pokemon in your party.

Items would be interesting as equipables. Like Focus Sash which would remove all knockback from one, and only 1, confirmed kill, or Leftovers, which could heal 1% every 3 seconds. Oran Berry which could heal 30% when you reach 90, the possibilities are endless honestly. I could imagine rocky helmet being really cool at applying thorns type damage, your opponent receives 5% of the damage they deal to you, and if they deal an amount of knockback that exceeds a set number, they receive knockback from their own attack as well.

Pokemon Abilities. Since Infernape is one of my roster picks, we will use his Flash Fire as an example. Say Infernape has 100% on him, his ability will kick in, increasing the knockback of ALL his fire based attacks by 1.25X the original knockback value. A pokemon with an ability like Intimidate would be cool, and how it would be applied would also be fun. I think Intimidate should kick in by finishing a taunt withing a specific range of the opponent, and it would reduce all their knockback and damage by X amount for X amount of time. Lightning Rod would basically absorb electric attacks for a 5 second power boost (you still receive damage), and I think synchronize would be a good ability for counter play to things like Toxicroak poison mechanics or stun mechanics from electric attacks.

Status - Being burned should deal 1% damage per 5 seconds and reduce all damage and knockback by 1.1X. Being poisoned should deal 3 damage every 3 seconds. Paralysis should reduce both ground and air speed as well as jump height by x amount. Flinching should not be an actual mechanic in this game, but freezing could work for ice types, applying a small % chance on sweetspotting ice attacks. So basically if I sweetspot an ice aerial, I have like a 10% chance to freeze the opponent and they'll have to mash out. Sleep is obvious how it would function.

These are my current thoughts. I might update on it some time in the future, we'll see.

Top Bottom