• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ideal Stages for the First Member of the DK Crew

Which starter stage should we discuss first?

• Battlefield/Miiverse

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Smashville

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Final Destination

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
Hello DK players. I have noticed that there is no thread on DK's stage selection, so I have took it upon myself to make said thread.This thread is intended to inform DK players on what stages they should go to, as to avoid picking the wrong stage that could cost them the game. What are our ideal stages for DK? For reference, here is the usual stage selection for tournaments. I will add a general consensus for each stage as we go.

Color checklist:

Green- This is a stage that DK can depend on and will almost always be a good stage choice for optimal play.

Yellow- This is a stage that is neutral for DK but it can sometimes benefit him depending on the matchup.

White- This is a stage is absolutely neutral for DK. You are most likely banning this stage because it is your opponent's best stage. (Or, it is the filler color for stages not fully discussed yet.)

Orange- This stage is sometimes bad for DK but can be neutral depending on the matchup. You may want to ban these stages.

Red- This stage is bad for DK in most to all matchups, and it is reccomended that you ban these stages.

Stagelist:

Starter:
Battlefield/Miiverse
Final Destination
Smashville

Starter or CounterPick (usually starter):
Town and City
Lylat Cruise

CounterPick:
Dreamland 64
Duck Hunt

CounterPick or Banned (usually banned):
Delfino
Halberd
Castle Seige

I have a poll created for which stage we will discuss first. The choices you have currently are Battlefield, Smashville, and Final Destination since they are practically guranteed to be starter stages. For the next week, feel free to talk about your opinion on any of the legal stages before we decide which starter stage we will discuss. Enjoy the discussion folks!

Hostageclam

Smash Cadet
NNID
flood0f72
I'll just start off with my personal opinion on the three definite starter stages:

Battlefield: Definitely DK's best of the three starter stages. Allows for nair platform coverage. Utilt reaches two lower platforms, allowing for juggling those who try to land on it. Platforms let the ding dong combo kill earlier. Getting smooth landings with up-b because of the platforms helps recovery options immensely.

Smashville: Platform doesn't do much for DK and can be very situationally helpful. Utilt does still reach the platform, and using it to actually land with your up-b is helpful, though there aren't too many sure fire uses for it. I have no qualms playing on it, though I'd ban it against characters who benefit from it. No big problems, no huge help.

Final Destination: Always my first ban when selecting stages. Exclusively flat stage that hinders DK's ability to recover safely. Allows other characters with longer range to wall DK out. Ding dong combo is much harder to kill with here, as you have to kill from the floor, giving a much more strict kill percentage range.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
You should pretty much always ban BF because of the high ceiling. If they know to DI, ding dong will not kill until later percents in the grab window, where you have to be more precise.

Just go to Smashville or TaC for starters then counterpick Dreamland if you like BF. Dreamland is the BF we've always wanted because it gives DK his beloved platforms with a lower ceiling.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
You should pretty much always ban BF because of the high ceiling. If they know to DI, ding dong will not kill until later percents in the grab window, where you have to be more precise.
7% later so it's not viable on some characters, but still quite viable on most.

I'll just start off with my personal opinion on the three definite starter stages:

Battlefield: Definitely DK's best of the three starter stages. Allows for nair platform coverage. Utilt reaches two lower platforms, allowing for juggling those who try to land on it. Platforms let the ding dong combo kill earlier. Getting smooth landings with up-b because of the platforms helps recovery options immensely.

Smashville: Platform doesn't do much for DK and can be very situationally helpful. Utilt does still reach the platform, and using it to actually land with your up-b is helpful, though there aren't too many sure fire uses for it. I have no qualms playing on it, though I'd ban it against characters who benefit from it. No big problems, no huge help.

Final Destination: Always my first ban when selecting stages. Exclusively flat stage that hinders DK's ability to recover safely. Allows other characters with longer range to wall DK out. Ding dong combo is much harder to kill with here, as you have to kill from the floor, giving a much more strict kill percentage range.
What's to stop them from walling Dk out on other stages that aren't FD?

As well you shouldn't solely rely on platforms to help you kill with ACT Uair

Shammonx

Smash Cadet
NNID
Shammon
I'm starting to prefer Town and City and Smashville over BF for one main reason. It's easier for the characters that combo well to continue their combos with the triangle platform set up.

Top Bottom