• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ideal Mii Gunner Set Up? Kind of Short 1332 Guide

木西Galaxy

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone! So Mii Gunner is actually insane??

I was able to get to Elite Smash twice using this set up. Idk if that really means anything because idk how hard elite smash is to get into.

I've been using 1132.

I really want this guide to also spark discussion. Mii Gunner seems like a great character! :). If there is enough interest, I'll keep trying to update this thread.

B-Specials:

Charge blast is just another kill option.

My main zoning tool and good combo starter (at early percents) is Bomb Drop.
Good things about Bomb Drop:
*This thing is crazy because it can essentially add shield pressure, lock of an area of the stage, cover my recovery, ledge trap, edge guard, and act as a combo starter.
*At early percents, it combos into short/full hop forward air if the opponent is launched away. It can also combo into back air or neutral air if launched towards me.
*This move is very mix-up oriented though.
*This move can be remotely detonated. Do this by simply dropping another bomb.
*Can be B-reversed (and therefore allow momentum shifts).
Negatives about Bomb Drop:
*It has a bit of end lag. Make sure to space it, or use it while moving in the air. (jumping while using it is very good).
*If hit, it can be launched back towards you and hurt you.
*Has questionable knockback trajectory at high percents (essentially sends straight up but rarely kills).

Gunner Missile: Basically just Samus' missiles. I use them to help zone and apply pressure when needed. I don't rely to heavily on them right now though. I use them almost as a mixup.
Good things about Gunner Missile:
*Can help zone. and apply pressure.
Bad things about Gunner Missile:
*Hard to change between super and regular missile? I can't seem to do it consistently.

Flame Pillar I use to set up for edge guards when my opponent is at later percents. (I want to point out that I don't use this anymore. Instead I use Gunner Missiles. I want to keep this explanation though for people who want to use Flame Pillar!)
Good things about Flame Pillar:
*Although it doesn't ever combo, it has a better launch trajectory than Bomb Drop at higher percents (sends away from the stage, and at less high of an angle). Therefore, I only really start using Flame Pillar at high percents.
*It can create a barrier from projectiles. It doesn't block all projectiles, but I use it to wall out spammy links and slowly approach. (It event detonates Link's bomb!)
*Basically, it's very similar to PK Fire and Robin's fire. Though, it doesn't combo. Very good for creating strings though!
Bad things about Flame Pillar:
*Doesn't combo.
*Decent amount of end lag.

Arm Rocket:
Good things about Arm Rocket:
*The only up-B where you can really control your recovery angles.
Bad things about Arm Rocket:
*It literally has no hitbox. If someone reads your recovery, you're 100% getting hit.

Ariels
I decided to talk about these first because Mii Gunners Ariels are very good I think. I literally do not know his frame data. So, someone else provide that. I'm going to go off of how each move feels with endlag and such.

Forward Air:
*Forward air is amazing because it shoots a hit box far away from you. This projectile is literally not attached to your body. (except, idk if it is counted as a projectile?)
*Use it for poking and off stage gimps. It can take opponents by surprise.
*This move can combo from Bomb Drop.
*It influences your moment and shoots you backwards. You can use this juke your opponent and set up for an easy forward smash kill.

Neutral Air:
*Another amazing move. It has a bit of end lag if fast fell, so be careful with it. But, the hitbox is ridiculous. Mii Gunner rotates his arm around him (think of Corrin Neutral Air, Cloud, or Ridley Neutral Air).
*It always (or almost always) throws opponents away from the stage.
* Can combo from Bomb Drop.
*Using it with short hop to cover platforms and potential Bomb Drop knockbacks is really good.

Up Air:
*This move is a kill move and has a ridiculous disjointed hitbox. Mii Gunner literally shoots above him.
*The only bad thing about this move is that, similarly to Richter/Simon, is that it only shoots in a straight line upwards. This makes it hard to hit a lot of the time.

Back Air:
*Back air Is a good kill option.
*It's range can feel a bit short sometimes though.
*Can combo from Bomb Drop and down throw at lower percents.

Down Air:
*Can spike.
*Is a bit disjointed.
*I don't use it often because 1132 Mii Gunner has other edge guarding options that are a lot better.
*Does have some good knock back if used on stage though? (As in, the opponent is hit into the ground and then ricocheted off).
*Can hit below platforms (because of disjointed hitbox). Though, this is semi-hard to do. Idk how practical it is.

Ground Moves:
Although they have their uses, I feel that Mii Gunner isn't a very stationary character. He spends a lot of his time in the air, and therefore his ground attacks aren't necessarily his main strategy. (If that makes sense). The main grounded moves I use are forward tilt and his jab. I use down tilt and up tilt for mix ups (as they don't have many uses).

Jab:
*Normal 1-2-3 Gentleman Jab.
*The final hit seems to have quite a bite of range (for a jab) due to Mii Gunner shooting his arm cannon though.

Forward Tilt:
*Good range!
*It comes out quick as well.
*It can be used to space, as well as a quick "get off me" option.

Dash Attack:
*Great Dash Attack I think!
*Can move past shields if done late enough.
*Can combo from neutral air if the opponent does not tech the neutral air.
*SEMI SHIELD BREAK: Using Bomb Drop near a shielding opponent, and then hitting them with the dash attack does a crazy amount of shield damage. Essentially, almost breaking the opponents shield. Using this against opponents whose shields are already damaged can be good!

Down Tilt:
*Essentially Samus' down tilt.
*Can lead to some good juggles.
*Can kill at much higher percents.
*Can 2 frame.
*I don't use it very often. Only when I have a good read on the opponent.

Up Tilt:
*Kind of like Megaman's up-tilt (but weaker).
*Only hits in front of and above Mii Gunner.
*Can combo into itself at really low percents.
*I don't use it very often.

Smash Attacks

Forward Smash:
*Literally his best smash attack.
*HUGE hitbox (like Corrin length),
*Is super-multi hit, and therefore lasts a long time.
*It has quite a bit of end lag though, so use it sparingly.
*You can use it to cover multiple get up options and sometimes to poke at distant opponents (though I really don't think it should be used for that).
*You can also use Forward Air to propel yourself backwards, juking your opponent, and setting up for an easy forward smash kill.

Down Smash:
*Very quick! And can cover multiple options on ledge get up!
*The knockback also seems very good.
*Someone can test this move more as I haven't used it much in my play sessions.

Up Smash:
*Basically Samus' up smash, but connects better.
*It also seems much quicker? In both animation and end lag. I might be wrong though.
*The knock back is very good as well!
*Forward smash is my main kill smash, but I use up smash to catch falling and unsuspecting opponents.

Throws
Downthrow:
*This is literally Mii Gunners only good combo throw.
*At VERY early percents, it can combo into back air.
*I've seen people say it can combo into neutral air. I don't think this is true though. Many people have been able to air dodge out of it before my neutral air hits. (If it does combo, it combos at lik 0%)

Backthrow:
*This is his kill thrown.
*Seems to kill at 130% with no DI.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Mii Gunner might play like a knock off MegaMan a bit. He seems to be based around ledge trapping, zoning, mixing up your opponent, and edge guarding. Although his combo game may not be amazing, his string game can be ridiculous. I have been able to make 2 stock comebacks because of the string/combo potential Bomb Drop has.

1132 Mii Gunner has many ledge trapping and edge guarding options, and therefore I feel like he excels at these. He is also very good at zoning and forcing the opponent to choose options. I strongly feel like he should be played to these strengths.

Last edited:

NintendoParty

Smash Cadet
Good write up and happy you've started this discussion because I think Mii Gunner is quite fun and strong in most matchups. I use 3332 and will share my thoughts as well. With 3332, you have 4 projectiles to work with (two different missiles) that each serve a different purpose. Slow and fast Missles for long range and general zoning. Grenade for projectile mix up and edge guarding. Bomb drop for keeping aggressors away if they're too close. The mixture of 4 short, medium, and long range projectiles can frustrate your enemy. I disagree with you that gunner should spend so much time in the air. I think he's quite susceptible in the air and does much better on the ground. That being said, it sounds like you've achieved greater success than me so far, so I will reassess my position after more playtime. I still don't have good movement in this games, so that is the major problem with my play.

I have made it recently to 2.39 million (gsp keeps changing so this gsp reference will matter less and less every day), which is currently very close to Elite. Keep in mind I am brand new to Smash (have not played since 64), so I think this proves the character's potential.

My playstyle is a hard zoner who jumps in to get a few hits when opponent is in disadvantage due to projectiles (causing them to jump/block). Mainly I hit to create distance and/or get them off stage. My main goal is to get them off stage so I can edge guard. Due to his slow speeds and lag, gunner is not that great in the air or on the ground when his projectiles are taken out of the equation. I don't think he has any valuable combos really. Therefore, I find it challenging to up against those with reflectors or faster speed characters that are constantly in your face (Sheik is a horrible matchup). I believe the character suffers without space. His slow speed also make him prone to being juggled.

Grenade Launcher: best edgeguarding tool I know of in the game. It is my #1 kill move. If I get someone off the stage, it's very difficult for them to make it back on, even at low percentages. If you position correctly (on battlefields, this is on the stage just at or slightly behind the first platform (not on the platform itself, on the ground), the grenades land bounce on/near the edge and fall over the edge straight down, exploding just underneath the edge if you not touched by a foe earlier. If you move it just a hair closer, it will explode on the edge exactly. I used to use charge shot and I understand it's power together with the missiles, but once I realized the power of this edge guarding tool, I don't want to use any other option. This is a dangerous tool against almost all opponent, but in particular against those with bad recoveries (belmonts, sword characters, etc.). Just one grenade can kill them. The grenades can be aimed at enemies far away from the edge as well, preventing them from reaching the edge in the first place, but I mainly use it as I described above. This edge guarding tool is special for for three reasons: (1) it's easy, (2) it's effective, and (3) it's completely risk free because you don't have to jump off stage. While I use this as my main edge guarding tool, I also use it in neutral to mix things up with my missiles as well, to keep the enemy guessing. It's also less prone to reflecters than missiles and other projectiles because you can bounce it on ground before explosion, so if they're reflecting your missiles, you have another projectile to zone and harass. Also, this sometimes combos into dash attack (explosion and dash hitting at same time) if you rush in. You can also think of it as a much longer range bomb drop providing another obstacle on the ground (or bouncing on the ground) to enemies rushing in to attack.
Bad things: slow move with lots of lag. Not a concern if using mainly as edgeguard.

Missiles: two projectiles in one special. Mix up honing and fast missile for main zoning and keep enemy guessing. I break shields if they block too much. If they jump, they face another missle or grenade. Mix up of speeds means that shields break or they get hit by missiles because there is no pattern to follow for them. I more or less use the two different missiles randomly for this reason. I use honing they they are on a platform or jumping, or recovering off ledge above or below. I also use honing when recovering, forcing them to block or move and not allowing them to edge guard. Fast missile has very long range, honing missile shorter but still covers most of stage. Can kill at some percentages or offstage. No cons that I can think of.

Bomb Drop: You covered this. I only use this to keep enemies away to give me space or to help me recover. Only con is that if enemy hits it toward you or uses reflecter (even if on the ground), you can blow up from it. Best tool I know to keep an inkling from rushing into to you to attack, grab, or paint brush. Essentially, dropping one of these means that enemy only has options from the air. Makes them much more predictable. I generally do not use this for edge guarding.

Aerials: you covered this well. I will only add that Nair is his main air attack, dair is mostly useless due to small and narrow hitbox and huge potential to be punished. Instead of using dair to try to spike in risky move off stage, I safely shoot grenades from a comfortable distance on solid ground. Bair kills at decent percentages. Fair is basically to keep enemies away in the air and has low damage and knockback, and it's special in its long range disjointed nature. Like many of his other moves, it's designed to keep enemies at a distance and discourage approach. Uair is narrow but powerful because of its amazing reach. Although narrow, as you mentioned, you can jump and move horizontally in the air during uair, covering more space. Uair can kill but only at high percentages, and it's not that reliable.

Smash and tilt: you covered these well already. Fsmash's last hit is touch longer range than first hits. It's slightly longer than a belmont whip. Can kill at high percentage. Usmash also kills at high percentage but is difficult to time when enemy is coming from above. Attack starts from front to top to back. I don't use Dsmash so much and still learning how/when to use it. To me it seems useful only on hard read rolls, which doesn't happen at high level play.

I don't know much about his throws and still learning them.

Last edited:

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
You guys haven't addressed recovery options though. I use the Cannon Jump Kick instead of the others, because it has an active hitbox going up (a very strong one at that, kills Mario at around 80 on FD with DI), and has a meteor, and is a potential kill move on the ground. Granted, It does not have that much height, and the horizontal distance is little-mac tier, but is very safe to use. Very hard to be gimped if used properly, and if you are knocked high and away from the stage, the fair momentum should bring you back. If you are knocked low and away from the stage, the other recovery options are easily gimpable and exploitable anyway in that kind of situation. Also the meteor is SO satisfying to land.

木西Galaxy

Smash Rookie
NintendoParty, interesting ideas about the grenades! It sounds like you use them similarly to how I use Bomb Drop. I'll have to check and see which one I prefer. Are the grenades remote detonated??

I agree SecretAsianMan! (LOL amazing name). The meteor does make me want to use that move a lot hahahaha. But, I feel like it makes my recovery too predictable. If I use that up-b, I only have 3 options getting back to stage: air dodge, double jump, or go low and up-b. If I use the Arm Rocket, I feel like it hugely mixes up with how I can recover. I really want that meteor though xD.

On a side note! The fire from Flame Pillar does block projectiles! I was using that against spammy links today hahaha. It even detonates their bombs!

Last edited:

NintendoParty

Smash Cadet
NintendoParty, interesting ideas about the grenades! It sounds like you use them similarly to how I use Bomb Drop. I'll have to check and see which one I prefer. Are the grenades remote detonated??

I agree SecretAsianMan! (LOL amazing name). The meteor does make me want to use that move a lot hahahaha. But, I feel like it makes my recovery too predictable. If I use that up-b, I only have 3 options getting back to stage: air dodge, double jump, or go low and up-b. If I use the Arm Rocket, I feel like it hugely mixes up with how I can recover. I really want that meteor though xD.

On a side note! The fire from Flame Pillar does block projectiles! I was using that against spammy links today hahaha. It even detonates their bombs!
Agreed that arm rocket up B is best option and that's what I use, but it's preference. I want an easy route back to ledge and hate being gimped. With arm rocket, you have a very good recovery.

Re grenades, it explodes automatically on contact or after a few seconds (after a couple of bounces). Therefore, it will always either hit opponent before they get to ledge or hit them/explode even after their 1.5 seconds of invincibility is over at the ledge. They literally cannot avoid it and their only route back is to land on stage directly, which is crazy because we have usmash and fsmash ready to go. We know they're helpless after their up b and our smash has so much range. Also, who says they can make it back to stage directly. Many times they can only reach ledge. Trust me, I've killed at 20-30% before because they keep getting hit with grenades and can't make it back (damage racks up and they eventually launch too far or low to make it back). Your opponent will be frustrated beyond belief. I've tested bomb drop for edge guarding and it's not as effective or reliable.

I do like idea of pillar blocking projectiles but my missiles and grenades cancel projectiles too. And even bomb drop stops bouncing projectiles. It's a good debate, and that's what I love about mii characters, the customization. Would love to scrim with you so we can see each other's playstyles and compare movement and moveset. I'm new here but assume there's a dm system?

NintendoParty

Smash Cadet
You guys haven't addressed recovery options though. I use the Cannon Jump Kick instead of the others, because it has an active hitbox going up (a very strong one at that, kills Mario at around 80 on FD with DI), and has a meteor, and is a potential kill move on the ground. Granted, It does not have that much height, and the horizontal distance is little-mac tier, but is very safe to use. Very hard to be gimped if used properly, and if you are knocked high and away from the stage, the fair momentum should bring you back. If you are knocked low and away from the stage, the other recovery options are easily gimpable and exploitable anyway in that kind of situation. Also the meteor is SO satisfying to land.
I understand the pros of your choice and tried it myself, but I don't like bad recoveries. As a beginner, I play only characters with good recoveries because I'm new and will get gimped easily and often. Btw, I assume it spike when people try to bair you under the ledge as you're rising, is that right?

Last edited:

木西Galaxy

Smash Rookie
Agreed that arm rocket up B is best option and that's what I use, but it's preference. I want an easy route back to ledge and hate being gimped. With arm rocket, you have a very good recovery.

Re grenades, it explodes automatically on contact or after a few seconds (after a couple of bounces). Therefore, it will always either hit opponent before they get to ledge or hit them/explode even after their 1.5 seconds of invincibility is over at the ledge. They literally cannot avoid it and their only route back is to land on stage directly, which is crazy because we have usmash and fsmash ready to go. We know they're helpless after their up b and our smash has so much range. Also, who says they can make it back to stage directly. Many times they can only reach ledge. Trust me, I've killed at 20-30% before because they keep getting hit with grenades and can't make it back (damage racks up and they eventually launch too far or low to make it back). Your opponent will be frustrated beyond belief. I've tested bomb drop for edge guarding and it's not as effective or reliable.

I do like idea of pillar blocking projectiles but my missiles and grenades cancel projectiles too. And even bomb drop stops bouncing projectiles. It's a good debate, and that's what I love about mii characters, the customization. Would love to scrim with you so we can see each other's playstyles and compare movement and moveset. I'm new here but assume there's a dm system?
There is! I live in Japan right now hahaha, but I play with people in America all the time. So hopefully connection isn't bad! I'll send you a message right now :).

Zoa

Smash Ace
I picked Gunner up myself. Been running Charge Shot, Flame Pillar, Bomb Drop, and Arm Rocket. I feel like it’s the best overall set up considering I tend to get follow ups and wall out reliably with Flame Pillar. Also a question, but are any of you able to follow up out of uthrow against a competent opponent? I’m able to get uairs in when it starts producing tumble. It’s a 90 degree angle which is really hard to DI, so I feel there might be something going for it.

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
I picked Gunner up myself. Been running Charge Shot, Flame Pillar, Bomb Drop, and Arm Rocket. I feel like it’s the best overall set up considering I tend to get follow ups and wall out reliably with Flame Pillar. Also a question, but are any of you able to follow up out of uthrow against a competent opponent? I’m able to get uairs in when it starts producing tumble. It’s a 90 degree angle which is really hard to DI, so I feel there might be something going for it.
U air is really it, you might get away with fullhop nair at 0%

ULO

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone! So Mii Gunner is actually insane??

I was able to get to Elite Smash twice using this set up. Idk if that really means anything because idk how hard elite smash is to get into.

I've been using 1132.

I really want this guide to also spark discussion. Mii Gunner seems like a great character! :). If there is enough interest, I'll keep trying to update this thread.

B-Specials:

Charge blast is just another kill option.

My main zoning tool and good combo starter (at early percents) is Bomb Drop.
Good things about Bomb Drop:
*This thing is crazy because it can essentially add shield pressure, lock of an area of the stage, cover my recovery, ledge trap, edge guard, and act as a combo starter.
*At early percents, it combos into short/full hop forward air if the opponent is launched away. It can also combo into back air or neutral air if launched towards me.
*This move is very mix-up oriented though.
*This move can be remotely detonated. Do this by simply dropping another bomb.
*Can be B-reversed (and therefore allow momentum shifts).
Negatives about Bomb Drop:
*It has a bit of end lag. Make sure to space it, or use it while moving in the air. (jumping while using it is very good).
*If hit, it can be launched back towards you and hurt you.
*Has questionable knockback trajectory at high percents (essentially sends straight up but rarely kills).

Gunner Missile: Basically just Samus' missiles. I use them to help zone and apply pressure when needed. I don't rely to heavily on them right now though. I use them almost as a mixup.
Good things about Gunner Missile:
*Can help zone. and apply pressure.
Bad things about Gunner Missile:
*Hard to change between super and regular missile? I can't seem to do it consistently.

Flame Pillar I use to set up for edge guards when my opponent is at later percents. (I want to point out that I don't use this anymore. Instead I use Gunner Missiles. I want to keep this explanation though for people who want to use Flame Pillar!)
Good things about Flame Pillar:
*Although it doesn't ever combo, it has a better launch trajectory than Bomb Drop at higher percents (sends away from the stage, and at less high of an angle). Therefore, I only really start using Flame Pillar at high percents.
*It can create a barrier from projectiles. It doesn't block all projectiles, but I use it to wall out spammy links and slowly approach. (It event detonates Link's bomb!)
*Basically, it's very similar to PK Fire and Robin's fire. Though, it doesn't combo. Very good for creating strings though!
Bad things about Flame Pillar:
*Doesn't combo.
*Decent amount of end lag.

Arm Rocket:
Good things about Arm Rocket:
*The only up-B where you can really control your recovery angles.
Bad things about Arm Rocket:
*It literally has no hitbox. If someone reads your recovery, you're 100% getting hit.

Ariels
I decided to talk about these first because Mii Gunners Ariels are very good I think. I literally do not know his frame data. So, someone else provide that. I'm going to go off of how each move feels with endlag and such.

Forward Air:
*Forward air is amazing because it shoots a hit box far away from you. This projectile is literally not attached to your body. (except, idk if it is counted as a projectile?)
*Use it for poking and off stage gimps. It can take opponents by surprise.
*This move can combo from Bomb Drop.
*It influences your moment and shoots you backwards. You can use this juke your opponent and set up for an easy forward smash kill.

Neutral Air:
*Another amazing move. It has a bit of end lag if fast fell, so be careful with it. But, the hitbox is ridiculous. Mii Gunner rotates his arm around him (think of Corrin Neutral Air, Cloud, or Ridley Neutral Air).
*It always (or almost always) throws opponents away from the stage.
* Can combo from Bomb Drop.
*Using it with short hop to cover platforms and potential Bomb Drop knockbacks is really good.

Up Air:
*This move is a kill move and has a ridiculous disjointed hitbox. Mii Gunner literally shoots above him.
*The only bad thing about this move is that, similarly to Richter/Simon, is that it only shoots in a straight line upwards. This makes it hard to hit a lot of the time.

Back Air:
*Back air Is a good kill option.
*It's range can feel a bit short sometimes though.
*Can combo from Bomb Drop and down throw at lower percents.

Down Air:
*Can spike.
*Is a bit disjointed.
*I don't use it often because 1132 Mii Gunner has other edge guarding options that are a lot better.
*Does have some good knock back if used on stage though? (As in, the opponent is hit into the ground and then ricocheted off).
*Can hit below platforms (because of disjointed hitbox). Though, this is semi-hard to do. Idk how practical it is.

Ground Moves:
Although they have their uses, I feel that Mii Gunner isn't a very stationary character. He spends a lot of his time in the air, and therefore his ground attacks aren't necessarily his main strategy. (If that makes sense). The main grounded moves I use are forward tilt and his jab. I use down tilt and up tilt for mix ups (as they don't have many uses).

Jab:
*Normal 1-2-3 Gentleman Jab.
*The final hit seems to have quite a bite of range (for a jab) due to Mii Gunner shooting his arm cannon though.

Forward Tilt:
*Good range!
*It comes out quick as well.
*It can be used to space, as well as a quick "get off me" option.

Dash Attack:
*Great Dash Attack I think!
*Can move past shields if done late enough.
*Can combo from neutral air if the opponent does not tech the neutral air.
*SEMI SHIELD BREAK: Using Bomb Drop near a shielding opponent, and then hitting them with the dash attack does a crazy amount of shield damage. Essentially, almost breaking the opponents shield. Using this against opponents whose shields are already damaged can be good!

Down Tilt:
*Essentially Samus' down tilt.
*Can lead to some good juggles.
*Can 2 frame.
*I don't use it very often. Only when I have a good read on the opponent.

Up Tilt:
*Kind of like Megaman's up-tilt (but weaker).
*Only hits in front of and above Mii Gunner.
*Can combo into itself at really low percents.
*I don't use it very often.

Smash Attacks

Forward Smash:
*Literally his best smash attack.
*HUGE hitbox (like Corrin length),
*Is super-multi hit, and therefore lasts a long time.
*It has quite a bit of end lag though, so use it sparingly.
*You can use it to cover multiple get up options and sometimes to poke at distant opponents (though I really don't think it should be used for that).
*You can also use Forward Air to propel yourself backwards, juking your opponent, and setting up for an easy forward smash kill.

Down Smash:
*Very quick! And can cover multiple options on ledge get up!
*The knockback also seems very good.
*Someone can test this move more as I haven't used it much in my play sessions.

Up Smash:
*Basically Samus' up smash, but connects better.
*It also seems much quicker? In both animation and end lag. I might be wrong though.
*The knock back is very good as well!
*Forward smash is my main kill smash, but I use up smash to catch falling and unsuspecting opponents.

Throws
Downthrow:
*This is literally Mii Gunners only good combo throw.
*At VERY early percents, it can combo into back air.
*I've seen people say it can combo into neutral air. I don't think this is true though. Many people have been able to air dodge out of it before my neutral air hits. (If it does combo, it combos at lik 0%)

Backthrow:
*This is his kill thrown.
*Seems to kill at 130% with no DI.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Mii Gunner might play like a knock off MegaMan a bit. He seems to be based around ledge trapping, zoning, mixing up your opponent, and edge guarding. Although

ULO

Smash Rookie
What about 2132? Lasers force an approach, and combined with flames and bombs you can play the damage game. You have better edge guard and kill than inkling and Diddy. You can mix in laser damage with actual edge guarding for more variety. I’m not elite, with any characters, but the synergy of 2132 seems powerful.

Rhys

Smash Rookie
I’m really stuck between choosing charge shot and grenades.
On one hand the grenade edgeguards are so Strong but the charge shot kills real early
Which do y’all prefer to use?

NintendoParty

Smash Cadet
CB does not kill that early. It's well above 100% for most characters I think. There's a spread sheet in the gunner discord. Grenades can kill early at ledge. They each have their pros and cons. CB is useful for neutral. Nades for edgeguarding.

Edit: someone below says this is incorrect and that charge shot can kill earlier, see rest of thread.

Last edited:

Lorisaur

Smash Cadet
Currently, I'm at 3.45M with 3312 and it's in my opinion a very solid set.

Granades are strong for spacing, edgeguarding and shield pressuring, I prefer them over CB altough it's sad not having the intimidating factor

Missiles over arc fire for frame data, range, kill power. They are just Samus' missiles on steroids, I really don't understand why they mad them so good

The upB was a tough choice, but the first one (lunar jump? Not sure about the name) is probably the best, of course not because of the hitbox (which is also pretty nice at gimping and as a oos option but extremely situational) but because it's faster and less punishable

Any downB is good, reflector can also make you turn around to use Fair recovery while the vortex... is just great. However, bomb drop is simply one of the best moves in the entire game, really

I truly like this character, and altough I picked up him in ultimate just few days ago he had always been my joke pick for smash 4 and I'm so happy to see he is a real character now

NintendoParty

Smash Cadet
Currently have the same GSP with 3332. I think the recovery choice between 1 and 3 is up to choice. They're both good, but you need to know how to b reverse and gun dash sometimes to get near the stage for 1 because it's only vertical. I'm convinced it's the best moveset even though the most popular loadout is Charge Blast and Flame Pillar. Yes, we don't have intimidation factor in neutral, but we're also not stalling just to find time to charge, and we have intimidation factor at the ledge where grenades are very effective. You can turn around with bomb too but I think there's too much endlag on it to be practical.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Personally I prefer Lunar Launch (1) - it's such a good recovery + the gimping hitbox is an additional Bonus.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
Charge blast kills earlier than 100% on most of the cast unless you hit them from the other side of the stage. The spreadsheet on discord is for the maximum percent that flame pillar is still able to confirm into charge blast. The flame pillar combo video on the Gunner discord shows fair to charge blast killing ROB at 80.

Luigi Linguine

Smash Cadet
I personally use 1122. The launching hit of Flame Pillar actually kill confirms into Charge Blast, you just have to short hop it. That, coupled with its lasting hitbox and steep angle when used in the air makes it a fantastic ledge trapping and edgeguarding tool respectively. Cannon Jump Kick has an admittedly lackluster distance as a recovery move, but the hitboxes on it make it such a dangerous OoS option that it's honestly worth the sacrifice. Finally, Bomb Drop is pretty much the obvious choice for down-b. Overall, I think this setup fits my playstyle just right, with 3122 being a close second since Grenade Launcher is a respectable neutral-b in its own right.

V.Noise

Smash Rookie
I prefer the Gunner Missile over Flame Pillar. Its got less endlag on it for one, but mostly, I prefer it as a long-range harassment tool. It can kill at higher percents and not only that, the regular missile has done work for me on some occasions. If the opponent is jumping towards a platform, you can pre-emptively stuff it with a homing missile, dropping them straight down immediately and letting you catch that fall with a grab or F-Smash.

I'm still torn between Charged Shot and Grenade Launcher. On one hand, Grenade Launcher requires no preemptive charging and is fantastic for catching people off stage and killing low recoveries. And I'm already super used to using it since I used it a lot in Smash 4 casuals (GAWD it was so freaking good and busted in 4...). On the other hand, Charged Shot would give me a shield break option when combined with the Gunner Super Missile. And it's a powerful projectile I can just throw out on a whim once fully charged.

Last edited:

Naov

Smash Cadet
I normally use 1 2 1 2.

Charge Blast
Simply a great kill option, but now that I see your videos I may start playing with 3 to practice the edge guard. (I played for about a month with 3 and I simply couldn't continue with it. It was good for some occasional edguarding but elite players find it easy to avoid it. The move has looooots of beginning and ending lag so it's really difficult to connect. I find Charge Blast much more versatile as you can do short shots to stop your opponent, to edge guard or to kill.

Stealth Burst
Pretty underrated, probably because it needs a good amount to practice, once you know it well, you don't even need to watch the bomb to know where it will detonate.
This is probably my #1 kill option (maybe about 60% of kills), it can kill between 70%-100% and is very fast on targeting recovering foes (specially when they are above stage). Most of time they won't even know what hit them. It is also good to time your fall (as it slows you down) and protect you agains edge guards.
It is very useful too against enemies that are zoning.

Pros: Great agains low-defense characters, slow aerial-movement characters and big characters. So most of times you will find good use!.
Cons: It has a huge end lag and you cannot move while using it, so it is rarely useful while on stage.

Lunar Launch
Great recovery, it' almost impossible to die because you couldn't reach stage (air dodge/stealth burst + jump + this = return from everywhere). You can go way to the bottom of stage it is very difficult for edge-guarders to chase you out of stage.

It has also a small hit box bellow you which is hard to land on opponents, however it can be used against opponents that are willing to hit you from bellow and has a moderate hit-power. It can also kill unsuspecting opponents who chased you off stage. I wish it had a bigger hit box.

Pros: great recovery, enemies find it difficult to edge guard you or chase you out of stage
Cons: somewhat predictable, some elite players may find it easier to predict movement. The main con of Mii Gunner is the poor aerial movement, so if you use this in stage, you'll be an easy target to hit if you miss.

Bomb Drop
Not as useful on Elite but still I'm very used to it. One of its best uses is as shield, as it can block anything (f.e. samus charge shot), so sometimes they will throw projectiles into the bomb while you send a stealth burst or charge shut through it.

Pros: Very good against slow characters that have no projectiles, as it will make them difficult to approach to you and can cause great % damage.
Cons: Against sword characters, they can simply hit the bomb and return it to you.

When playing Arena you can switch to Reflector to have an easy fight on some characters.

About smash moves, It amuses me that you don't use down-smash, as it is the fastest of all and can kill pretty soon. You don't really need to read the rolls, the first hit is easy to land. Font smash is the best one but it is also super end-laggy , Samus whip and other characters that can react quick after shielding will punish you hard for using it.

I believe that if Mii-gunner had a better air mobility, it would be hands down one of the best characters.

My main antagonists : Lucas / Ness as they can absorb or return most of the attacks.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I understand the pros of your choice and tried it myself, but I don't like bad recoveries. As a beginner, I play only characters with good recoveries because I'm new and will get gimped easily and often
I think that Arm Rocket is not good for beginners per se. It is not relatively easy to use nor relatively hard to gimp, it is good in the sense that it covers a lot of distance. In fact, it might be worse for beginners because you have to aim and get no protection. Cannon Jump Kick has less distance, but when it can go far enough it is easier to use because there is less aiming involved and you get protection.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Bomb Drop is pretty much the obvious choice for down-b.
I disagree with that. Echo Reflector is great for mixing up landings and reversing in the air and Absorbing Vortex is great for reversing in the Air, increasing recovery distance and safety, and mindgaming. Their uses are less obvious and may be somewhat more tactical but they are both great moves.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
My favourite for doing Smash VIP is 3333.

Grenade is always great, great for covering recovery, great for edgeguarding, great for neutral. It is frame positive on shield making even shielding it from close not a good option against it.

Missile is a powerful harassement tool which makes Mii Gunner a great camper alongside Grenade. I think that these two are the moves you want to use if you like playing a dedicated long range zoner. Missile is 2 projectiles for the price of one and both are great.
Super Missile is powerful and great for catching jumps and reckless approaches with, and the normal Missiles can be used for comboing and covering many angles.

Arm Rocket is the great for recovery, but it is also great for on stage. It has almost no landing lag and thus often cannot be punished when used onstage. This makes it great for mindgames and escaping from onstage disadvantage.

Absorbtion Vortex is mostly for extending jumps and covering them with a hitbox. I used it for disrupting some recoveries and for mix-up. It is weak and has little range but also very fast and with Arm Rocket being high in the air is nt that bad since landing tends to be much easier.
In addition to that, the capability of absorbing energy is pretty handy in some matchups, too.

Top Bottom