• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Idea to add HYPE! to our tournaments

V

Smash Ace
Steam I highly doubt this would be implemented in doubles. This discussion has pertained to singles the whole time so I think people are naturally gearing this towards singles.

I came up with an interesting rule regarding timeouts that can apply to 3, 2, or 1 stock systems.

Timeouts are a draw

Win = 1 point
Loss = 0 points
Draw = .5/.5

If a set ends up tied the winner is decided by who dealt the most % over the whole set. Puts incentive on combat and adds a new dynamic to sets.

:phone:

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Question, why does it matter to Lucario that we have 1 less stock. If lucario makes a comeback, that means his opponent has to lose stocks, meaning if he is 2 stocks down, he takes a stock, he is 1 stock down and its just like a 2 stock match.

Steam

Smash Hero
Question, why does it matter to Lucario that we have 1 less stock. If lucario makes a comeback, that means his opponent has to lose stocks, meaning if he is 2 stocks down, he takes a stock, he is 1 stock down and its just like a 2 stock match.
it doesn't really matter to lucario in singles. he gets to comeback less and get screwed by aura less.

but it destroys a lot of his doubles viability. AND **** I LOVE MY DOUBLES

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i dont think theres anyone who doesnt use lucario who doesnt like the sound of lucario being nerfed in doubles

**** anubis

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
I don't think doubles should have less stock. Quite honestly, doubles is entertaining to watch as it is and doubles matches go quicker than singles.

Steam

Smash Hero
i dont think theres anyone who doesnt use lucario who doesnt like the sound of lucario being nerfed in doubles

**** anubis
doing any sort of softer aggresive strat with lucario is also boned hard.

like before lucario could easily lose his third stock when his teammate lost his first and they both could be on their last stock together and yadda yadda...

now Lucario would be losing his second stock with the teammate at high% two stock. leaving one full stock alone... all of it just sounds horrible :(

and yeah... doubles isn't where we have issues... and if any character is an issue it's MK

Orion*

Smash Researcher
This is a pretty good proposal, but in all honesty...there is but only one step that needs to be taken: US needs to learn how to play high level matches and be entertaining at the same time like Europe. Leon, Mr.R, Kaos, Semifer, Staco, Kasper, Blub, Gluttony, Orion (post-Euro exposure), Izaw, Yami, Zudenka, and so many other players from over there know how put on a good ****ing show. I mean what I said with the deepest sincerity. Don't get me wrong...there are some US players who also put on a good show while still managing to push their character beyond its limits (Trela immediately comes to mind) but the majority of our metagame is excessive defensive play and abuse of a faulty counterpick system time and time again. So...how about we follow the aggressive/hype example set by Europe (or at least France) and start by banning either Rainbow or Brinstar if we're going to keep MK around. Those are immediate and utter hype killers, especially with players/MKs like M2K, Tearbear, etc. who have no shame in trying to abuse them to the fullest.

It's three years down the road people, clearly everyone realizes that despite them both being viable enough stages in themselves, with MK's presence they are simply too exploitable.

And if you don't believe me...just ask yourself how many times you've seen timeouts occur in European matches, or the general amount of time that most matches are finished by when compared to the states. I'm willing to bet that if they were over here instead of us, doing what they do, playing the way they play, and pumping out the high quality (visually and gameplay-wise) videos that they do...they'd already have this game on EVO's lineup.

I say this all with an objective mindset because I watch videos from all regions, mind you.
Outside of teams which don't require as much camping, I actually got ***** when I got home for being to aggro. Mind you my aggression isn't nearly as good as the other top players here, I don't this is the right direction. People should play at the highest level they can play haha

This game like requires you to be a ****** to win. Ramin camps me back, and I beat leon essentially by just running away and using tornado.

Life

Smash Hero
Doubles and singles don't have to use identical rulesets. It's usually a good idea, since it keeps it simple, but it's not technically necessary.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
If 1 or 2 stocks is implemented in singles I see no reason to change the current 3 stocks we have for doubles.

We could even increase doubles to 4 stock 8 minute matches, and I doubt we'd have any adverse effects.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Yeh doubles lets you be aggro because you can force more frame traps with a partner.. And your back is Possibly covered as well if your partner can save you.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
And generally you're close to another player more often, so you're forced to partake in combat more.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
Have a Marvel Side-tourny. It'll bring all the hype you need.

Course, this is Smashboards, you'll need to ban something to feel secure. Ban Phoenix.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
I haven't seen this troll since MLG.
He gets bored every once in a while. You gotta have a trolling output somewhere. Course, I don't troll Shoryuken, they're too good for that. I only troll party game communities.

LordXav1er

Smash Ace
NNID
LordXav1er
I'll be testing out 2 stocks at my Smashfest weekly and possibly my tourneys (next is in October) so far I like this idea =]

JoFTWin

Smash Apprentice
Where the wild things are, by way of Georgia.
To the OP. I tried this out extensively with some friends. Granted, the timer was off but even at that. It went very well. I plan on hosting some tournaments in my area soon. I'll make this the standard for the Brawl events as far as my tournaments go so I can give you guys more concrete results.

LordXav1er

Smash Ace
NNID
LordXav1er
Tried this all Friday and Saturday, it is actually much better then 3 stocks 2 stocks 8 minutes should be standard for brawl! I'll be using this for my next tourney in October.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
King Beef, it seems like most of the impressions you have from Europe are based on videos from France and Izaw. Izaw, Yami, Kasper, Semifer and Zudenka are/have been only really successful regionally. Mr.R, Kaos, Staco, Blub, Calzorz, Luigi player, BJay, Greward, Marcbri, istudy, T and Quiksilver all play somewhere between moderate and moderately defensive and other players like Tay or Orion can camp pretty excessively if they feel like it's better. Leon and Crysis are the only aggressive players that are successful in more than one region with their aggressive style [Glutonny and Deimos never travel].

:059:

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
King Beef, it seems like most of the impressions you have from Europe are based on videos from France and Izaw. Izaw, Yami, Kasper, Semifer and Zudenka are/have been only really successful regionally. Mr.R, Kaos, Staco, Blub, Calzorz, Luigi player, BJay, Greward, Marcbri, istudy, T and Quiksilver all play somewhere between moderate and moderately defensive and other players like Tay or Orion can camp pretty excessively if they feel like it's better. Leon and Crysis are the only aggressive players that are successful in more than one region with their aggressive style [Glutonny and Deimos never travel].

:059:
Mr.R plays offensively, and so do Luigi Player, Bjay, istudying and Quiksilver. Glutonny still deserves a spot, Deimos doesn't.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Mr.R plays offensively, and so do Luigi Player, Bjay, istudying and Quiksilver
LMAO

maybe vs you???
Luigi player has timed me out in FRIENDLIES. dennis started camping me when he realized that diddy can't just rush in on MK. Quick and Ramin can be aggro sometimes, but they also camp like ******s if the situation calls for it.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Interesting idea.
I might test it in some games we'll have here.

Also, subscribing.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
LMAO

maybe vs you???
Luigi player has timed me out in FRIENDLIES. dennis started camping me when he realized that diddy can't just rush in on MK. Quick and Ramin can be aggro sometimes, but they also camp like ******s if the situation calls for it.
They're more patient against you because you camp like a ***** (the hate), can't blame 'em. Overall, they play quite offensively. You shouldn't forget you play mk ;)

Edit: LP camps because Gheb told him to, it's not his style.

Raidex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raaidex
I rarely play Brawl, but I kinda like this idea.

When I go to my next offline tournament, and if I decide to play Brawl, I'll consider doing that.

Staco

Smash Champion
A lot of people think good execution = camping.
It´s normal for ZSS to go for the juggling, it´s normal for Diddy to go for the banana punishments.
If the players don´t do it, they won´t be that good, because they miss a lot of opportunities.

Quiksilver is really defensive, but if he got the opportunity to make a lot of damage and juggle etc. he will do it and it makes him look aggressive.
It´s the same for a lot of other players.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
I'm sorry staco, I can't take you serious with that signature :awesome:

Luigi player

Smash Master
Edit: LP camps because Gheb told him to, it's not his style.
I camp when my opponents let me do it lol and/or if I feel comfortable. It's also player/MU/stage/howIfeel dependant.

It's just really difficult to camp against good players if they pressure/approach you all the time and corner you etc. I'd rather try going aggro again against Ramin/Leon next time >_< **** camping...

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'd rather see 5-6 minutes of a gay/stally matches than 8-10 minutes of it with the current standard.

Top Bottom