• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Idea: Smaller Roster, All original movesets

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
So, with how big Smash 4 was, it feels like Smash 5 has pressure to be even bigger, but that might not be easily achievable without copying and pasting a lot of smash 4. And while I think that's a good option, there's another way to make things feel fresh and interesting without necessitating an ungodly roster size.

What if Smash 5 had a smaller roster. Say, around 35-40 characters. This would include veterens like Mario, Kirby, and Link. However, most or all said newcomers would have their movesets redesigned from the ground up. They would retain their general stats (Fox would still be fast, Bowser would still be heavy) and would retain their most iconic moves (Captain Falcon would keep the falcon punch and knee of justice), but they would be filled to the brim with new ideas.

For example, Link could take after his breath of the wild appearance, and incorporate a number of moves from his old games. Things like the skyward strike, master cycle zero, etc..

This would help this game stand on its own, separate from other games and not just be a potentially unsuccessful attempt to one-up smash 4. Thoughts?

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
So, with how big Smash 4 was, it feels like Smash 5 has pressure to be even bigger, but that might not be easily achievable without copying and pasting a lot of smash 4. And while I think that's a good option, there's another way to make things feel fresh and interesting without necessitating an ungodly roster size.

What if Smash 5 had a smaller roster. Say, around 35-40 characters. This would include veterens like Mario, Kirby, and Link. However, most or all said newcomers would have their movesets redesigned from the ground up. They would retain their general stats (Fox would still be fast, Bowser would still be heavy) and would retain their most iconic moves (Captain Falcon would keep the falcon punch and knee of justice), but they would be filled to the brim with new ideas.

For example, Link could take after his breath of the wild appearance, and incorporate a number of moves from his old games. Things like the skyward strike, master cycle zero, etc..

This would help this game stand on its own, separate from other games and not just be a potentially unsuccessful attempt to one-up smash 4. Thoughts?
In b4 lock?

I like this idea solely because I think movesets are starting to get spread pretty thin these days. I'd rather see less characters get more attention than have a bunch get hastily thrown together, but that's just me.

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
I don't think this will apply to all characters but clearly with Link it's gonna happen with a few. Probably also Mario will get Cappy, Luigi will get a Poltergeist, and Zelda, Ganondorf, and a few others will get new moves. But others like Kirby, Pikachu, etc are fine as they are.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't really see an upside. The competitive community would be annoyed because they'd have to re-learn everything (and many of their favourites, like Sheik and Falco, would definitely be among the first to be removed), and the casual community would be annoyed because the roster is smaller than the last game, or possibly the last two games.

Look at what happened with Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite - it's generally agreed that the gameplay is good, but the roster is terrible, and that turned people away from the game in droves.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I'm for less newcomers in exchange for reworked movesets on some older characters but no to a smaller roster all together. You can't even justify a smaller roster though a jump in tech like you could argue for say Street Fighter V.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
No real need for a smaller roster. Justified clones are not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I can agree that some characters need to be reworked but a smaller roster is a no-no.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
No real need for a smaller roster. Justified clones are not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I can agree that some characters need to be reworked but a smaller roster is a no-no.
Clones aren't unique characters, though. They just take up space on the select screen and make it harder for newcomers to choose a fighter.
A large roster and a small roster where every character takes up two slots are not the same thing.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Clones aren't unique characters, though. They just take up space on the select screen and make it harder for newcomers to choose a fighter.
A large roster and a small roster where every character takes up two slots are not the same thing.
Uniqueness is a very subjective here.

Mr.ケイ

Smash Apprentice
Replace Ganondorf with Pig Ganon, he's the OG Zelda villain and has been in more games than Ganondorf, which'll mean new and better moveset instead of just some crusty Falcon clone. Zelda also needs a moveset overhaul and appearance wise should be like Link and take after her BOTW appearance (plenty of outfits to choose from). Also if Link doesn't have his Gerudo outfit, this game'll be a failure.

Samus's moveset is super outdated and does not properly rep her game's combat which heavily revolves around jumping and shooting...yet she can't do that, hell she still can't charge her Neutral-B in the air. She can keep some of her kick based moves like B-air and F-tilt, but attacks like F-smash and F-air should turn into projectile based ranged attacks.

Mario's fluud and cap only appeared in one game each, I'd replace them with an attack pulled from Odyssey. Similarly, Luigi's moveset is too basic and doesn't rep his 2 games (ignoring Mario is Missing), give him more attacks revolving around his poltergust.

As far as cuts got: Lucina, Roy, Corrin (I know they're popular, and I love FE games, but the roster is bloated with FE character and if they want one for the upcomming Switch title this year, they need to trim the current rep, but they could at least make Lucina work as a Marth alt.), WiiFit (no Switch game), Dark Pit, Dr.Mario (make them alts), Palutena (even is she is the top waifu), Shulk (perhaps to make way for new Xeno character), ROB (he's just a toy), Lucas (unless they intend to invest more into the franchise), Ryu, Cloud, Pac-Man, Mega Man (3rd party always have a high likelihood). A lot of them are popular, but the roster needs to be trimmed down to make way for new characters and if we truly want a balanced game, there needs to be cuts made.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
I'm for less newcomers in exchange for reworked movesets on some older characters but no to a smaller roster all together. You can't even justify a smaller roster though a jump in tech like you could argue for say Street Fighter V.
This is a position I'm more or less at now. Still, there IS the issue of sustainability, but that's true for every fighting game, isn't it?

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I kinda see the desire for this. I've always wanted the clone characters to be palette swaps (and they can have their name change like Bowser Jr and the Koopalings) just because. In regards to unique move-sets, I remember when Marth and Roy were the only characters with a counter (days later edit: oops and Peach) and in Smash 4 there's tons. It can be overwhelming and it'd be nice for more usage out of characters as a whole, and that would be more achievable with a smaller roster. That said the roster will almost definitely include clones and more characters than Smash 4.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I don't really see an upside. The competitive community would be annoyed because they'd have to re-learn everything (and many of their favourites, like Sheik and Falco, would definitely be among the first to be removed), and the casual community would be annoyed because the roster is smaller than the last game, or possibly the last two games.

Look at what happened with Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite - it's generally agreed that the gameplay is good, but the roster is terrible, and that turned people away from the game in droves.
Not a great argument. Gameplay has to be readjusted to every time anyway. No game perfectly transitions into the next, even if small values are changed for a specific character, or a gameplay mechanic slightly tweaked, that will make a difference and make you relearn a character. Competitive players can and will adapt, and tend to not complain too much.

It's funny you bring up Infinite, but leave out MVC3 which also cut down on roster size, but left most other things the same, and really the only criticism it got was ****ty DLC practices and no MegaMan.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
I wouldn't actually mind this if it actually means that all character are completely unique from eachother, and not just in that they have different moves from eachother.

If you take a look at the newcomers in Sm4sh, almost all of them have an extremely unique mechanic that completely separates them from the rest of the cast. It goes on a deeper level than characters from previous games. Robin has durabilities and a sorta-swappable main weapon. Mega Man's jab, forward tilt and neutral air all act as a single dynamic move. Shulk can modify his own stats on the fly. Ryu has different moves depending on how long you hold the attack button, Little Mac has a super bar, the list goes on.

If they add one of those unique mechanics to every single character, I'd totally take a smaller roster.

Not expecting this to happen, though. Even with a smaller roster, I don't think they'd have enough development time to completely revamp everything. You gotta have in mind that even previous Smash games consistently re-use content from previous games. Character animations, assets, entire stages, and who knows what else. The roster would never have gotten this large if they didn't. The only time they completely started from scratch was with Melee, and at the end of the day, that game only had 19 unique movesets. Though to be fair, the game was made in a year. (This doesn't necessarily mean that a two-year development time would result in 38 unique characters though.)

Last edited:

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
This is unusual to say, but i'm the type of person who prefers quantity over quality although it quickly backfires when we get unnecessary repeat clones like Dr. Mario and Dark Pit. But I guess I would want to stick with the current roster + whatever newcomers are on the way.

Uffe

Smash Hero
A smaller roster would help make characters more balanced. Honestly, I would prefer the roster gets no larger than it currently is in Sm4sh. Even before the DLC, there was a decent amount of characters that I was content with the game having. I'm guessing we'll see a lot more characters than before, though.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Not a great argument. Gameplay has to be readjusted to every time anyway. No game perfectly transitions into the next, even if small values are changed for a specific character, or a gameplay mechanic slightly tweaked, that will make a difference and make you relearn a character. Competitive players can and will adapt, and tend to not complain too much.

It's funny you bring up Infinite, but leave out MVC3 which also cut down on roster size, but left most other things the same, and really the only criticism it got was ****ty DLC practices and no MegaMan.
The main difference is that MvC3 was a major overhaul for the series. MvC1 and 2 were largely just asset dumps, like BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle or Capcom vs. SNK - characters were added to the game purely because they were playable in other Marvel or Capcom games, which is why we got characters like Sentinel, Marrow, and Omega Red in MvC2. With Smash, they have previous games to go on, and there aren't any major art style changes like MvC's jump from sprites to 3D models.

As for changes between one Smash game and another, they're usually minor, and easy to adjust to. There might be some balance changes, or a special move or two gets altered, but in general, characters seem to remain pretty similar. (hence why Ganondorf is still a Captain Falcon clone) The original post is talking about a complete overhaul of every single character's moveset from the ground up, with only extremely general similarities like Fox being fast or Bowser being a heavyweight remaining.

Last edited:

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561

Eh, I don’t want a smaller roster. I also don’t want to have rocks re-learn my mains.

I would prefer the opposite, making movesets more unique and cutting down on the gimmick reliance we've seen recently.
Gimmick reliance?

Last edited by a moderator:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Gimmick reliance?
The worst offenders, IMO, were Ryu and Bayonetta, who both changed the rules of the game but there were a tonne of other characters like Link and Bowser who got weird extra quirks thrown on them and newcomers like Little Mac and Rosalina were sold largely on gimmicks that had little reason to exist.

Palutena didn't even have a fixed moveset and Robin, Cloud, Megaman and Shulk all relied heavily on things outside what one typically entails.

andimidna

Smash Master
Not a fan of the idea.

Also, gimmicks are uniqueness. Not sure what more you could be looking for other than visually different weapons or different arrangements of hit boxes, which you also get from the “gimmicky” characters.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
This is something I'd really like to see. I'll always advocate for quality of quantity: I honestly miss the more "intimate" rosters of Melee and Brawl.
I think now would be the best time for a roster reboot: pare it down to the most crucial Nintendo all-stars, and refresh each character's design to reflect their fullest current potential. I think there comes a point where continually adding characters just leads to a messy and convoluted roster - managing 70-80 characters may require corners to be cut in terms of design and balance. Also, because a lot of veterans have gone mostly unchanged, many characters (particularly those from the 64 and Melee days) are feeling increasingly outdated and could really use some new flavour.

I'd say a 20-30 character roster would be a good starting point. Every character would be a truly iconic Nintendo character, with a fresh and unique moveset that reflects their entire history. Each fighter should feel like a love letter to that particular character and series!
Then, perhaps they could go the Splatoon/ARMS route and gradually increase the roster over time through regular updates. That way, those who may be initially put off by the reduced roster can have the gradual expansion to look forward to.

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
Some characters need a revamping to fit more modern installments of their franchises. Mario needs cappy for starters, and the new link well...TONS of possibilities there. Too many to bother listing, but everyone here has probably already thought of that.

Personally, I want to see Samus be able to switch her beam. Each beam would have a different effect, but must be fully charged to do so. Standard would maintain its place. Lots of power and knockback. Plasma would have no knockback, moderate power, but applies a fiery DOT on the enemies it hits (its piercing). Ice, when fully charged, only hits one target, but has the same effect as the freezie item. Wave will also pierce, cause light damage, no knockback, but paralyzes all hit players for a short time. Samus has not been a very meta character, and I think this change would add a lot of variety and utility to her.

Last edited:

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
I'm just gonna drop my opinion on who's first up on the chopping block

Very likely to be cut:
:4corrin::4lucina::4feroy::4cloud::4charizard::4drmario::4darkpit:(unless they de-clone him maybe?):4wiifit::4mii:

If they're REALLY slimming down, like in the case of a soft reboot:
:4dedede::4bayonetta::4pacman::4greninja::4myfriends::4littlemac::4rob::4shulk::4tlink::4lucas::4bowserjr::4duckhunt:

Totally up in the air imo:
:4megaman::4ryu:

Tbh, I feel like the roster could even be narrowed down to these characters and built out from there, and it'd still be fine:

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4dk::4diddy::4yoshi::4wario2::4zelda::4sheik::4link::4ganondorf::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4fox::4falco::4falcon::4ness::4gaw::4marth::4villager::4samus:
The above roster could have up to 8 newcomers without getting too bloated, and my wishlist for what that could be is
  • Inkling (Confirmed)
  • Springman
  • King K. Rool
  • Another Mario character (captain toad? waluigi?)
  • Black Shadow
  • A gen 7 or 8 Pokemon
  • The flavor-of-the-week Fire Emblem character
  • The wildcard spot-- something either super new, kind of obscure, or perhaps even a third party
For a total of 34 characters

Polan

Smash Lord
People were raising hell over Mewtwo not being in Brawl. Imagine gutting half the roster, including many fan-favorites, just to achieve "competitive balance". It would be a sh*tstorm of epic proportions.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
People were raising hell over Mewtwo not being in Brawl. Imagine gutting half the roster, including many fan-favorites, just to achieve "competitive balance". It would be a sh*tstorm of epic proportions.
I doubt characters like Wii Fit and Duck Hunt will be cried over too much

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I'd personally hate this. There's only like 3 or 4 characters total I think need a real overhaul to their moveset, and since I don't personally think they're ever going to focus Smash to play anything as fast and competitive as Melee I don't know why they'd be worrying about the balance to the point of cutting half the roster.

I enjoy clones, too. Characters like Wolf, Lucas, and Dr. Mario all give unique playstyles to a similar archetype and are easier on development time. While I do think ones like Dark Pit and Lucina are underwhelming, I have nothing against the concept itself.

I really feel like cutting it down would absolutely demolish the uniqueness of the roster more than anything.
Here's what I imagine a 40 character roster would probably look like (5 newcomers, 35 veterans.)

This is pretty much why. Yes, every character in this roster is for the most part completely different from one another.. but now there's still less variety. Incredibly unique characters like Little Mac, Rosalina and Mr. Game & Watch ultimately take the fall and we lose much variety already in the game.

Even if all of the original 64 cast are revamped, the clones are already gone so what was the point? We just lost 12+ playstyles completely. This is assuming we even do overhaul all of them, which for characters like Ness and Kirby doesn't make too much sense to me. Is originality more important than fun?

Even if I did agree with this idea, I don't know how Nintendo could possibly sell off their all-star focused game with half of the characters to the general public. Just look at what happened to SFV and MvCI.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
I wouldn’t mind a complete reboot in order to refresh the roster even if it comes at the cost of cutting quite a few characters. Many of the older veterans could really use an overhaul. I’m fine with the idea of a smaller roster. I like that over having 25+ characters I’d never be bothered to use.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Reusing assets is highly likely and it's much more common than you think. Most of the time, you just don't see it. A lot of music from Brawl and Melee were brought over to Smash 4. Several voice clips are retained from Melee and Brawl. Fox's model is basically an HD version of his Brawl model.

I wouldn't count on a reduced roster. The only way I see this happening is that this only applies to the base game.

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
I would prefer the opposite, making movesets more unique and cutting down on the gimmick reliance we've seen recently.
You want to see more unique move sets, but you want to cut out the characters who have "gimmicks"?

That makes no sense, given most of the newcomers in Smash 4 play nothing like the older characters, which makes them stand out.

Plus, where do you draw the line between Unquie Moveset and Gimmick? Were the Ice Climbers a gimmick because of their nature as two characters in one? Was Olimar a gimmick because of his Pikmin?

Now, how would those two for example not be gimmick characters, but Robin with his tomes, Ryu with his Fighting-Game style moveset, and Little Mac are suddenly gimmick characters?

I hate to break this to you, but every character in Smash could be argued that they are gimmick characters, because many characters bring mechanics and abilities from their home games into Smash. Is Kirby a gimmick character because he retains his ability to copy attacks from his home series?

This argument can go many ways.

Quillion

Smash Hero
They shouldn't completely revamp EVERYONE, but there definitely needs to be some small updates to go around to bring certain characters' portrayals up to date.

InauspiciousPio

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CRZY#220
3DS FC
3308-4954-9081

So basically what you’re saying is a reboot of the franchise? I actually kind of like this idea, it opens up a lot of possibilities. My thing is changing the moveset for every character. I could see clones being changed in some way, but getting rid of iconic and staple moves in the series for every character seems difficult.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
So basically what you’re saying is a reboot of the franchise? I actually kind of like this idea, it opens up a lot of possibilities. My thing is changing the moveset for every character. I could see clones being changed in some way, but getting rid of iconic and staple moves in the series for every character seems difficult.
We could keep most of the more iconic moves. Captain Falcon and his Falcom Punch, Zelda and her lightning kick, etc..

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Some characters need a revamping to fit more modern installments of their franchises. Mario needs cappy for starters, and the new link well...TONS of possibilities there. Too many to bother listing, but everyone here has probably already thought of that.

Personally, I want to see Samus be able to switch her beam. Each beam would have a different effect, but must be fully charged to do so. Standard would maintain its place. Lots of power and knockback. Plasma would have no knockback, moderate power, but applies a fiery DOT on the enemies it hits (its piercing). Ice, when fully charged, only hits one target, but has the same effect as the freezie item. Wave will also pierce, cause light damage, no knockback, but paralyzes all hit players for a short time. Samus has not been a very meta character, and I think this change would add a lot of variety and utility to her.
Did you happen to read my improved version of Samus from Make Your Move? The way you described the beams are uncanny to my version of beams.

Charge Shot (B)
The Charge Shot comes in four (4) different forms to represent the Metroid series. All of these can be fired while Samus is moving, just as her canonical incarnation. Although this idea was originally thought of for future Super Smash Bros. (SSB hereafter) games that might involve Customs, I decided to implement this feature in a different way, similarly to the way Olimar or Shulk utilize their different abilities. In order to do this this, I have decided that for Samus to transition her beams from one beam to another, she must fully charge the Charge Shot and then release it before being able to use the next beam. It goes in the order of Charge Shot, Wave Shot, Ice Shot, and Plasma Shot. I shall now discuss this in detail.

Charge Shot will remain as is. It is the primary neutral special capable of KO'ing opponents. It will retain its speed as portrayed in SSB4 and keep the knockback growth of 62 as well. Wave Shot travels in a wavy pattern, covering more width. This not only can be used against opponents who may hang on the ledge, but because of the width it can cover, it may be a bit more difficult to avoid. Wave Shot also possess the ability to stun opponents, similarly to the way Zero Suit Samus' Paralyzer stuns opponents. Although this neutral special isn't known for KO'ing, if the opponent is not hit while stunned, he/she may be launched at a 60° angle. One final feature is that if the Wave Shot is even partially charged, unless it is perfectly shielded, shield stun will occur.

Ice Shot travels slowly, making it easier to dodge. However, this neutral special makes up for speed in a threefold manner. First, it travels like Dense Charge Shot, allowing Samus to actually walk with the beam. Second, there can be a total of three on stage. Third, it does the obvious. While uncharged shots can freeze, this is more of a nuisance than anything else, as Samus' opponent will freeze and immediately break out. Although Ice Shot isn't necessarily a KO move, it can end up doing so accidentally. It behaves like the Freezie item in that opponents are launched at an 80° angle. If an opponent is at high percent and is hit by this beam in the air, he/she will end up being star KO'ed.

Plasma Shot has a burning effect, similarly to any other fiery attack in all SSB games. While one might have expected the Plasma Shot to be the most powerful when it comes to KO'ing, it actually lacks significant knockback. It behaves more like Falco's Blaster. Its main purpose is to simply deal a lot of damage in a short period of time. Whereas the Charge Shot deals 26% damage when fully charged, the Plasma Shot deals 30% damage. It also eats up shields, making it similar to Marth and Lucina's Shield Breaker. It doesn't break shields, but it can if Samus' opponent continues to attempt shielding.

Anyway, I'm in favor of a smaller roster. It seems logistically like a good idea. It provides more space for additional characters who might be unlocked or received through DLC. It provides more time for the developers, allowing them to polish up each and every character, and to meet their deadline. Nintendo is about quality. It provides more funds for Nintendo to use as well. Each character in the roster can be designed to be unique in their own way, rather than relying simply on differences in properties.

What makes unlockable or DLC characters unique is that they were in the game at one point in time. There is more value for a character when that character might end up only being represented once. They might even potentially return if fans would like to see particular characters again. As I said before elsewhere, Super Smash Bros. isn't about popularity, it's about introducing unknown or unpopular characters. This could create a potential fanbase, which could lead to a potential character from that series returning.

When I say I'd like a reduced roster, it only makes sense because there can be only so many characters in a single game, and introducing more characters doesn't necessarily make a game good. See Brawl for details. I'd prefer two or three characters per roster, honestly. My roster would consists of the following.

Super Mario Bros.
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser

Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong/King K. Rool(?)

The Legend of Zelda

Link
Zelda
Sheik
Ganondorf

Metroid
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Ridley(?)

Mother
Ness
Lucas
Jeff(?)

Pokémon
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Charizard
Mewtwo

Kirby
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede

Star Fox
Fox
Falco
Wolf

F-Zero
Captain Falcon
Black Shadow

Fire Emblem
Marth
Ike
Corrin
Robin

Kid Icarus
Pit
Dark Pit
Palutena
Medusa/Hades(?)

Pikmin
Olimar
Bulborb(?)

Some characters weren't mentioned since not many characters can be made from the series, including Punch-Out!!, Game & Watch, Duck Hunt, and Wii Fit Trainer. I'm not certain about Miis, either. Anyway, that roster would consist of 39 characters; fewer characters if those without (?) aren't mentioned.

I have an idea for Donkey Kong. His up special currently has him spinning in the air. If Dixie Kong was introduced as a playable character, I could see Donkey Kong's up special being replaced so that Dixie Kong would have Helicopter Spin. The current idea I have for Donkey Kong's up special involves him being in a barrel that he can launch himself out of. The barrel would make Donkey Kong intangible and it could be angled. The barrel would eventually shoot Donkey Kong, so he couldn't stay in the barrel forever. The barrel would give Donkey Kong an active hitbox.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The problem with the idea of a Smash game that reinvents itself by axing half the roster and then remaking all the character is that...who would enjoy it?

Most people who play characters like those characters. Seeing them cut in the next game would be upsetting.
Most people who play characters like their movesets. Completely changing those movesets would be upsetting.
So who wins?

Spatman

Smash Ace
The problem with the idea of a Smash game that reinvents itself by axing half the roster and then remaking all the character is that...who would enjoy it?

Most people who play characters like those characters. Seeing them cut in the next game would be upsetting.
Most people who play characters like their movesets. Completely changing those movesets would be upsetting.
So who wins?
people will like new movesets and, even if they will complain about the loss of old characters, they will play the newcomers

btw I'm not for a serious axing. I'm all for a few cuts (clones and miis in first place: et voilà, effort for 6 characters saved in an eyes blink) in order to have enough newcomers and some overhaul of veterans who need it; but definitely not for cutting the roster in half. We need have at least the same number of characters of Sm4sh at launch, and maybe overcome them with future DLCs (a part of whom free)

Top Bottom