• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Idea: Smaller Roster, All original movesets

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
people will like new movesets and, even if they will complain about the loss of old characters, they will play the newcomers

btw I'm not for a serious axing. I'm all for a few cuts (clones and miis in first place: et voilà, effort for 6 characters saved in an eyes blink) in order to have enough newcomers and some overhaul of veterans who need it; but definitely not for cutting the roster in half. We need have at least the same number of characters of Sm4sh at launch, and maybe overcome them with future DLCs (a part of whom free)
Cutting the clones and Miis wouldn't save the effort for six characters. Clones take up a lot less in the way of time and resources, to the point where it's commonly cited that the development team for Melee could either have added six clones or one unique character, and even then, the one unique character wouldn't be a sure thing. Not sure how accurate it is, as I don't have a source on me right now, but either way, cutting the clones wouldn't result in one unique character per cut.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Cutting the clones and Miis wouldn't save the effort for six characters. Clones take up a lot less in the way of time and resources, to the point where it's commonly cited that the development team for Melee could either have added six clones or one unique character, and even then, the one unique character wouldn't be a sure thing. Not sure how accurate it is, as I don't have a source on me right now, but either way, cutting the clones wouldn't result in one unique character per cut.
I think in 2018 everybody knows that. I didn't specify the weight of everyone of these efforts :D
It's still 6 movesets and stats: 3 of them (Miis) need efforts as for every other 3 non clone characters; 3 of them instead need efforts for an half other character but still it IS a saved effort: if a completely new char requests, let's say, 2 months to be done, not reintegrate clones means that in only 1 more month of work you do a newcomer (in place of a scenario where you complete the development a month earlier but you don't have that newcomer and you have the 3 clones)
*numbers totally random just to express the concept*

ryuu seika

Smash Master
btw I'm not for a serious axing. I'm all for a few cuts (clones and miis in first place: et voilà, effort for 6 characters saved in an eyes blink) in order to have enough newcomers and some overhaul of veterans who need it; but definitely not for cutting the roster in half. We need have at least the same number of characters of Sm4sh at launch, and maybe overcome them with future DLCs (a part of whom free)
Personally, I'd rather Mii's be part of the rework. Cut their 3 movesets down to a single one that actually pulls from their games.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
I’d gladly take the possibility of a unique character. That, working on actual alts instead of quick texture swaps or further polishing other areas of the game. Games are constantly getting bigger and more complicated so there are many areas that could end up overlooked. As for the Miis, yes, those could use some retooling. Either add more classes or ryuu seika ryuu seika ’s idea. A total reboot to refresh the oldest veterans would be ideal but only time will tell.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I'd be down for this! I made this 36-character mockup a while back:

(Where Luigi, Falco, Tink, Pichu, and Lucina are clones.)

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'd be down for this! I made this 36-character mockup a while back:

(Where Luigi, Falco, Tink, Pichu, and Lucina are clones.)
Why have clones on a dramatically reduced roster? Nice style btw

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Why have clones on a dramatically reduced roster? Nice style btw
Thanks! The clones are just ideas I had if there was extra dev time left over, etc. Plus, since their movesets are similar to the original fighters they're based on, they don't detract from the goal of a more focused roster (in terms of design, balance, etc).

Top Bottom