• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'd appreciate any advice (Knubs. vs various)

Focus Attack

Smash Rookie
I'll quickly analyze your set versus Druggedfox as I've got a good bit of experience playing and discussing the matchup with him.

- I think it was a mistake to strike to Dreamland. I consider this to be possibly Fox's strongest counterpick due to the extremely wide setting and high top platform enabling a strong camping game that Luigi struggles to deal with, which means that you have to accept a risk of failure to hit Fox out of his platform movement.
- So when he goes to the top platform I see you're waiting on the ground trying to hit him as he comes down -- Sami is very aware of this and will freely use double jump mixups to bait your usmash or dsmash and then come down with whatever he wants to punish you with. You need a healthy dose of taking side platforms, threatening top platform, and walling off the space between the two with full hop aerials. Bair is great for getting the most hitboxes out with the most timing mixups available but dair, fair, and uair all have their uses.
- On your first stock you try to recover on stage and eventually die which was practically predestined for Luigi but you did miss one opportunity to go for an edge cancelled missile which would have at least given you your jump back if he covered it properly (which he was in position for anyway welp).
- On your second stock you do a good job of slowly building damage but you frequently swung with ftilt and dsmash hoping that he would try to run in unsafely on your wavedash back. Sami is too good for that and punished you a few times with whiff punishes and occasionally by just crouch cancelling when he knew you would attack unsafely.
- At this point in the set you haven't been badly punished for it yet but you've done too many dairs from ledge.
- After you take his second stock you get the grab at zero and go for the uthrow usmash tech trap dsmash which works on noobs but Sami is too good. You eventually lose your stock by continuing to assume that he won't know how to tech your combos correctly when that isn't the case. You also rolled in twice from the corner which I know is extremely compromising because he was in position to cover all of your escape options but next time you're in that situation think about things like running usmash or maybe dash forward, wavedash back to teeter cancel to get him to move to the ground.
- At 3:37 I really like how you played neutral and punished his choice to do that low double jump by taking center from underneath him while outside of his bair range and punishing his attempt to run away with the ftilt. He got you with the shorten mixup but there is basically nothing you can do about that besides make the right decision next time.
- Right after he comes back from the missed ledge dash you make the choice to shield really aggressively, which isn't inherently a bad choice considering you hadn't tried to do something like that in the entire game thus far, but he called out your attempt to do something once you saw he didn't bite on the wavedash in with the dair and took a bunch of stage and percent with that opening.
- Proof he knows the matchup: he smash DI'd that fair nair from ledge to get on the platform lol
- Nice tech/wavedash in option select ;)
- Sami didn't respect your ability to land the guaranteed grab after usmash on shield and he didn't die for it.
- That SD was unfortunate but by getting hit by that shine you were basically dead anyway unfortunately.

- Great timing on your usmash to punish the bad double jump and the jab reset was nice too. Was the bair intentional? It didn't seem like it but the concept of hitting someone with rising full hop bair and wavelanding on the platform has potential.
- Too many jabs. You go for a jab that gets outspaced by bair leads to pressure on you where movement or usmash would have served you better from that position.
- Good patience and coverage of top platform, center, and below platform at 5:29.
- I haven't been commenting on the things you already know but just messed up but you gotta hit the fastfalls to the ledge on shine.
- At 6:47 you made a choice to double jump dair to cover a full hop approach. It worked this time and it was a fine choice I just wanted to highlight this situation because it lost to waiting which will happen plenty as well. The Fox matchup puts you under alot of pressure to make these calls and sometimes you're gonna be right and sometimes you're gonna be wrong, you just have to know that it's a risk you have to take when you put the coin on Luigi at the character select screen and not necessarily you being bad whenever you make the wrong choice.
- At 6:54 you get some great ftilts and a great grab but you drop the punish by running. You may or may not have done so intentionally but in the future you can punish that DI with a wavedash fsmash and you get some neat DI mixups to explore with the high, low, and straight angles.
- When trying to edgeguard Fox and he's coming in high covering ledge is one of the last things I do. Grabbing the ledge is basically giving him the edge cancelled illusion for free and allowing him several more mixups on onstage Firefox recoveries as well as forcing you to refresh your invincibility to cover lower angles as well.
- You got baited really hard to lose your third stock, there's no specific advice I can give other than don't let them do that to you, however you can. Recognize your own desires and recognize theirs and how those two forces are interacting, which is happening in the moments before the actions are sent through your hands to the screen.
- Oh god that fireball when you came back why?? Kill whatever impulse that was immediately lol
- By now Sami seemingly has a full read on your movements and decisions and is playing extremely patiently around them, no longer bothering to dash dance but just standing in the place that allows him the most options. He feels comfortable that even if he takes a hit it won't be enough to kill him and he can just win the set through attrition now. You've introduced backswing dsmashes now which is a good mixup but at these low percents it's not really getting you anything unfortunately.
- You know that double jump fair was desperate but you had to do something to try to account for the missed fastfall.

Overall you did pretty well, taking Druggedfox to last stock and getting two stocked in game two is a respectable performance. Will I be seeing you at The Big House?

Knubs.

ナブ Paquito.
Overall you did pretty well, taking Druggedfox to last stock and getting two stocked in game two is a respectable performance. Will I be seeing you at The Big House?
Thanks for the advice! I'll work on those little details. Yeah, I'll be there.

Focus Attack

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry I gave my friend Baeblade all of the secret Luigi training for TBH and I'm super double sorry that I was across the hall from Lazarus and GioGio and crew and we didn't even get to meet! I want to come to Chicago some time in the future anyway so hopefully we can meet by then.

Top Bottom