• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Matchup Thread

GoTE | Lickme.pl

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I wanted to make this thread so we can discuss matchups, whether they're good, bad, even, whatever.

Warhuma

Smash Rookie
Hello there !
I play occasionnaly with 2 friends so I can discuss some matchup about characters they used to pick.

vs DK :
Very enjoyable match for both, with options and fear on both side.

DK have a good toolset to force a separation between the 2 ICs (Down B, Throw into cargo into combo to one IC, Punch B and some smash that send ICs on differents direction or separated on a good distance) and rushdown nana into death off stage, even on-stage by chaining 2x Uair or a Fair on Nana which send her offstage and it's difficult for her to come back.
Because DK recovery back on-stage isn't very good, he is happy to face the ICs that can't easily jump off stage to edge gard and steal an early stock for example to DK from coming back to the stage.
The cargo throw can be deadly at any percents for ICs, because he carry one IC and launch him/her offstage making it very difficult to come back for the solo ICs and rushing down the second ICs.
ICs have some difficulties to finish off characters, and DK being one of the heavier character in the game that's even more difficult.
To finish, DK out-range all physical attack from ICs and can space well to avoid being hit while hitting us.

BUT on the other side,

DK is a very easy target for the Grab/Desync combo of ICs. From 0 to 60% you can combo after grab/desynch with very good damage (or even spike at the edge of the stage). Edgegarding on-stage can be very difficult for DK too, because the D-Tilt of ICs at the edge can really annihilate every attempt for DK to come back. To counter this he need to recover higher to the stage, but then he has to be careful of the Uair or Up-B of ICs which can hit him hard.
The iceberg offstage can be also deadly for DK because he's very bad on vertical recovery into stage.
SideB (hammer time!) is also a very good tool to be abused versus DK, very good priority, rack up damage, launch him into the Air AND teleport back NaNa to Popo if near enough.
I think a desync on the stage to harass and poke DK with both ICs (blizzard, NAir, etc) can be very effective too but I don't currently do it much.

SO :
A very effective main strategy for DK is trying to separate and kill one IC as much as possible.
Obviously one IC is very weak and easier to kill (worst recovery of the game) but also, because DK out-range physical attack and one IC will have even more difficulties to kill a heavie character, the matchup become very bad. It's a general strategy used against ICs but DK has great tools and approach to make it happen (separation or kill NaNa early). Otherwise the DK player need to space very well his attacks to make them safe and avoiding to be hit (or grab).
ICs strategy here is focusing on trying to grab DK early percents (0-50%) to do a lot of damage and/or potentially send him offstage or spike him.You need to have a constance mobility to punish every un-safe move of DK (or in the recover of an attack) to engage. You can't just rush him down from neutral in his face (or only sometimes to mixup approach). You have to distract him and find a window to engage. Nair and Bair > FastFall are your two best friends attack with very little lag when touching the ground. Try to hit with a DTilt when attacking DK on the edge of the stage, it will send him horizontally off-stage and he can't recover higher and you can prepare your edge gard with Blizzard/DTilt/Desynch options, etc.
When sending him upward (thanks to a UTilt, UpThrow or Uair) ALWAYS check and see if you can land an UpB. Starting from 120%~ it can kill DK if the UpB touch in the Air and can be one of your best tool to finish (with your smashs). Make him afraid, follow him, jump, bait, if he dodge in the air at some point you can then UpB him or UAir.

To conclude I would say 5-5. I see DK and ICs having both great tools and strategy to fight against. It's entertainment to watch and enjoyable to play.

Top Bottom