• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers: Grab Combos and Chain Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
The IC Grab Combos/Chain Throws Topic.

Our little Eskimos are back again in Brawl and back with their grab-game that is hated so much. This time around the grabs are a little different: some improvements and some nerfs. The MAIN MAIN MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember is that you can now control which way Nana throws. GOD YES! This is and WILL be the most important part of IC's grabs. Keep this in mind throughout this topic.

Also, just to get this out of the way:

AT THE MOMENT, THERE IS NO WOBBLING IN BRAWL.

Anyways, onwards.

I. Grab Combos:

1. Taken from Som's topic
this is how it works, you need nana nearby. Popo grabs and back throws when he back throws there's a couple frames where the opponent is "bounced" on the ground before he goes flying. This is where you need to grab them. Its easer on big characters ie- Donkey but I've tested it successfully on pikachu/lugi and got it to work.

For now the timing is really hard so I'm focusing on one rep and one main combo with it.
Here's the input (1) popo grab (2) back on the control stick (3) back & z for nana to regrab (4) forward on the control stick, this will toss you opponent forward and set popo running (5) finally f-air for the spike and kill if off the edge. combo is hawt, try it out.

Updated * there are a couple variations on the chain throws

the 4 main ones include

(1) grab nana spike with f-air, re-grab if they appear to be standing after the spike. If they get knocked down then jab them with a forced wake up an attempt to re-grab. this is a decent combo first mentioned by virtual void, and is great for inflicting heavy damage quickly and is moderately easy to do. More testing needs to be done to see if opponnents can't reliable tech roll out of this.

(2) the back throw combo I mentioned

(3) the same as back air air but replace it with forward throw

(4) down throw running across the map, this combo demonstrated by Paxz follows the same principle as the back throw but its done with the down throw instead. after the first throw you have to run forward and re-grab into down throw. Possible the second easiest its heavily reliant on spacing and is the mostly doesn't work when your climbers are de-synced. This is opposed to the back throw or forward throw chain grabs which you can compensate and readjust easer. You could for example initiate a backthrow chaingrab if nana is behind you or a forward throw if she's infront of you.
The main thing I'll be concentrating on will be the bolded part. This grab combo, in my opinion, is the IC's "ken combo" at the moment. Seriously, this works GREAT. No joke, I do this ALL the time and it is extremely easy that I can even do it 100% perfectly online- even with the lag. Basically, all you do is:

1. Grab and d-throw with Popo
2. F-air MS with Nana
3. Re-grab with Popo

IMPORTANT: Like Som said, there will be times when the opponent will land standing straight up. KEEP THIS IN MIND: The opponent will ALWAYS land standing up if you f-air with Nana when his percentage is ≤25%, meaning if he is at 25% or lower when you hit him, he will land standing straight up, allowing for a re-grab.

Popo's grab takes 6% and Nana's f-air takes 12%, meaning that you will be able to do two Nana f-airs and two Popo re-grabs from 0%. This might not sound that great, but this combo can cover 1/2 of Final Destination when all three parts are done twice. Meaning that if you grab at the middle of Final D, you will be able to land a third f-air with Nana near the edge (after d-throwing of course) and hopefully landing a successful kill of the stage because your opponent was still in shock. ;)

If the opponent is hit when his percentage is >25%, he'll land on the ground laying down. So if he is hit at 26% or higher he will land on the ground. From here, you would have to either jab to get him to stand up or techchase.

2. From Nintendude:

Here's some other grab combos I've been using, mostly expanding on old stuff:

Alternating back-throw, forward-throw chaingrab:

1. Back-throw, Nana grab
2. Dash forward, turn around asap (Nana does f-throw), grab
3. C-stick forward-smash with Nana (for damage) as she moves back towards you
4. Repeat steps 1-3

Backwards forward-smash finisher:

1. Back-throw, Nana grab
2. Dash forward (Nana does f-throw)
3. Forward-smash facing away from Nana

What ends up happening is Nana f-throws the opponent straight into the back of Popo's hammer and the opponent goes backwards. It's a good mixup option. Step 3 can be replaced by an up-smash for vertical KOs, which forces people to either have really good reaction times or lucky DI.

II. Chain Throws:

1. The Infamous D-Throw Chain Grab

1. Grab and d-throw with Popo
2. Dash foward with Nana and grab.
3. D-throw with Nana
3. Dash forward with Popo and grab.

Easy.

Videos of D-throw Chain Grab:

Done at :10 and :22
Paxz's Version

2. F-Throw Chain Grab

1. Grab and F-throw with Popo.
2. Move forward with Nana and grab.
2. F-throw with Nana.
4. Move forward and grab with Popo.

The timing of this is a bit hard, so practice until you got it. Make sure you do not dash too far, or else you will not grab them in time.

IC F-throw on DK
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty much that is all there is at the moment. Once the community gets going, I'm sure more and more combos will show up. It'd be a great help if you guys could get videos, as I doubt you would want my crappy video quality. But if I am the only one who can get videos, I'll do it. If I'm missing any other CONFIRMED grab combos/chain throws that work (not ones that can be DI'd out of extremely easy), please feel free to post. Discussion on grabs would also be appreciated.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Here's some other grab combos I've been using, mostly expanding on old stuff:

Alternating back-throw, forward-throw chaingrab:

1. Back-throw, Nana grab
2. Dash forward, turn around asap (Nana does f-throw), grab
3. C-stick forward-smash with Nana (for damage) as she moves back towards you
4. Repeat steps 1-3

Backwards forward-smash finisher:

1. Back-throw, Nana grab
2. Dash forward (Nana does f-throw)
3. Forward-smash facing away from Nana

What ends up happening is Nana f-throws the opponent straight into the back of Popo's hammer and the opponent goes backwards. It's a good mixup option. Step 3 can be replaced by an up-smash for vertical KOs, which forces people to either have really good reaction times or lucky DI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom