• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice climbers doubles viability

IceForceGemini

Smash Rookie
I'm asking for players with more experience and knowledge than myself to give their opinion on playing Ice climbers in doubles. Everyone I talk to at locals tell me that ICs are terrible in doubles even though me and my doubles partner place very well usually with a fox/ ice climbers team. Maybe I'm just dumb but I swear ice climbers are way better in doubles than people give them credit for. I think CC down smash is a great tool in doubles and can clean up alot of KOs. Should I play a secondary in doubles or should I stick with the climbers?

TheRealFluid

Smash Cadet
They're honestly not too bad at doubles. Taj and Wobbles and Chudat and Chillindude both have had reasonable success at big majors such as Apex. Yet, I don't think they can make the cut at super high levels of Melee doubles. But who knows I like to be proven wrong.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I think ICs do fine in doubles, but it puts a lot of weight on their partner understanding how to team with ICs.
Usually I like to control the ground and let my partner play on platforms, but that can be hard for some characters to handle.

I think the biggest struggle ICs have in doubles is in neutral (which is not the same as singles neutral). Once the IC team gets in or splits the opposing team up, it's a lot easier. ICs can switch targets very quickly, cover stage very fast, defensive wall very well during edgeguard/ bully type situations, and can kill or incapacitate one opponent while their partner walls out the other.

I think fox is their best partner because of these things. A lot of people also love peach. I'm a huge fan of sheik and samus as well.

Doubles is a lot of fun though.

trusty

Smash Apprentice
Yeah my friend uses peach during this and it seems like a solid pairing. I guess my concern is getting shined by a double fox team

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
double fox is always really annoying for a floaty team, but spacies also tend to die really early in doubles, so there is that.
Fox is one of the absolute best doubles characters in the game though, and you have to respect him, even in double fox (whereas most double teams tend to not be as good since they can't cover each others weaknesses, fox doesn't have many that need covering in doubles).

I like ICs/Fox more against double fox than ICs/Peach, but peach can kind of do work on fox in doubles too once she gets in.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Ics in teams have a niche with being able to abuse their grab in teams and they can come in and clean the room out with d smash. Also they can bop puff.

But they are terrible because even in singles they can't be played reactively so You always have to think way ahead if You need to save a team mate or find a solid hit.

trusty

Smash Apprentice
Played with my friends peach at bust this weekend. Didn't do great but got much better feel for the pairing. Sopo can live for a long ass time if youre DI and mashing are right, and basically hop around for jab resets and gimps

Top Bottom