• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Ice Climber Match Up Guide

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I think I played subpar throughout singles that tourney, which was a little disappointing since I had been playing well beforehand. I think know how to keep my mind in the right place for the future, though, and it's not a mistake I make often in general, so I won't dwell on it much. Johnny would have likely beaten me in any case, though, since he almost always does. As for actual match-up details, I shouldn't have let him trap me in my shield as much. Same went for my set against SS, but SS isn't nearly as good as S2J, so it didn't matter a lot there.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
what do I do in ICs falco if I get separated from nana and falco is in between?
I seem to frequently be in this situation and falco is really good at taking advantage of it.

also how do I deal with pressure from the spacies?

Binx

Smash Master
what do I do in ICs falco if I get separated from nana and falco is in between?
I seem to frequently be in this situation and falco is really good at taking advantage of it.

also how do I deal with pressure from the spacies?
To understand what you should do you need to look at the goals of the Falco, quickly measure his risk reward and the predict what he is likely to do and counter it.

so here are some things Falco will likely want to do in this situation

#1) Kill your Nana
#2) Kill you
#3) Wait to see what you will do and react
#4) Jump around and do flashy pointless tech **** and die

So if they opt for killing your Nana you want to stop them, a jumping blizzard is often an overlooked and good way to attack a large area of space and buy time for Nana to recover, dash attacks, grabs, and anything that will knock him down will also buy a lot of time, if you absolutely can't hit him to save her it should mean that she is far enough off the ledge for you to try for an edgeguard.

If they try to kill you simply rushing them and shielding often buys Nana enough time to rejoin you, if you are forced to roll before you are synched though it can mess you up, mix up dash dance, powershield his lasers, basically treat it as if you are Sopo and just try to land a hit then get synched with Nana. If your Nana is really pro she will come from behind and jab Falco which sets up jabs, my friend's Falco hates me Nana cause of stuff like this.

If Falco just sits and is patient it can be difficult to know what to do, you are still split and any moment they could go aggressive on either you or Nana. I often like to toss an iceblock if the ranges allow or waveshield at them or just be mobile to make their decisions less clear.

Number 4 is actually beneficial for you and is generally Falcos most popular choice, what you want to do is just stand still and wait for them to kill themselves messing up a random tech. Hurray for beginners.

Dealing with pressure in general is just hard, you basically want to capitalize on any spacing or l cancel mistakes that will let you grab, mostly experience will tech you these, other than that you look for times when its safe to roll or wavedash out of attack range to relieve pressure. If they are approaching from high in the air you can uair them or if they come down off platforms you can get an upsmash with a hard read.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
What happens a lot if he's in between is that I'll try to run in and blizzard or something and get Baired, then he'll fsmash nana or something and just keep me separated until nana manages to kill herself.

Binx

Smash Master
Well that means hes doing number 3 and you have to be patient and predict him and control space, if he is doing that odds are he is just predicting you better than you are predicting him.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
so I've realized that it is a lot easier for me to learn matchups via watching lots of videos of them than just reading about them.

are there any particular sets that I should watch for the following MUs:
Marth
Peach (although I'm starting to figure this one out since Ohio is full of peach mains)
Doc

links would be appreciated ^^

oh and falco too. hate that mu.

Binx

Smash Master
m2k vs Fly in the west coast vs east coast crew battle like 6 months to a year ago is a pretty good example of how to abuse marth and force him to approach and punish it.

Wobbles has some vids vs HMW for doc, or you can watch REALLY old chu vids since the mu really hasn't changed a ton imo. Wobbles does some really interesting stuff vs Peach, and once again old chu videos can show you what you can do with really good spacing.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Whew so watching these doc sets really helped actually.
I played my one Doc playing friend and did not drop a game to his doc tonight ^^

luigi was a different story... I was winning most... But what in the world is this MU? So weird .-.

Anyway, now I just gotta see how my ICs fair against the better doc main of our group ^^

Binx

Smash Master
Luigi has a lot of moves that seem like you can punish but you really can't just spend time learning where the real openings are and the mu becomes somewhat even. Just takes practice.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Luigi MU is mostly won by keeping control of the ground with obstacles.

And never let him down when you launch him.

If you try to attack him recklessly then you're playing into his hands. On this one, you just want to stay in the driver's seat whenever possible. It's a luxury that ICs don't usually have.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think you want to keep your Nana to yourself for the most part because without her you lose control of the ground. I don't really like Nanapult.

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
His down is very fast and is has IASA frames that he can use to really take advantage of your reaction to it, counter these with short hopped fairs or by getting inside and CC and low percents into grabs.
this is posted under watch out for under marth, the tilt is missing after down

Binx

Smash Master
Fox

Summary
This matchup is difficult because... Ice Climbers have the advantage of... Try to.... Try to avoid... ___ is one of the most dangerous situations...

Most Useful moves
Up Aerial
The up air is very useful for hitting fox out of jumps, for poking when he goes too high or is on platforms, and for baiting fox to attack you if autocanceled.

Trouble Moves
Shine
Shine is broken, it comes out instantly can separate you, has next to no lag blah. Get around/punish it by...

Videos

link 1
link 2
link 3

------------------------------

So the above is an example of How I would like to redo the guide, I want to do write ups for specific characters with detailed modern information and strategies, I want every character to have a selection of at least 3 videos for people to watch to see an example of the matchup being played correctly preferably by both sides. I also think that at this stage of the games life its very important to break moves up and describe in detail how to deal with the same move in various situations, for instance Marth's forward aerial is pretty easy to deal with at certain spacings with a shield grab, it is also easy to deal with, with a dash dance grab in other situations, however there are also times where you could try to punish that same move both of those ways and get hit because he did it while retreating or at a spacing that is completely safe.

If we are going to refine our own play and help new people we need to get a lot more into the grit of a match up, a newcomer might take a long time to learn these techniques but I think its still important to be aware of how many situations you can get in with one move. I believe that careful description with video links whenever possible can go a long way to making every match up very learnable and efficient, even for experienced players. But this will take a lot of work.

So anything that can help would be great and any advice on which categories would be useful or you would like to see, maybe something regarding stage position or an edgeguarding section, things like that.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I find I learn the most when I read players discussing a match-up, and hear the different situations people bring up, and then other people disregard/add on to, etc...

Unfortunately, we've discussed every MU a billion times in the general discussion thread so no one will have any motivation for something like that

Binx

Smash Master
Ya maybe, I think there are enough of us if we just all took a character that we felt comfortable against and did a section we could get it done pretty quickly, then some discussion later we could add and remove things from various player's guides and then combine them into the super duper ice climbers MU guide.

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
Just to make stuff easier for myself I've collected a few posts I've made about specific MUs. I might re-write them at some point so that my points become more guide-ish. Some up to date MU guides would be pretty cool.

Fox

[...] I'm probably not the best to give advice on Fox as my way of playing the match up is quite unorthodox in some aspects as I focus more on desyncs and wobbling set ups than the other high level ICs mains, especially "lag-less" set ups (as I call them) that make it possible to get wobbling going at very low %. I can give you some general advice though.

Be patient. You don't really want to approach Fox unless you get a read on the Fox player's movement. It's really hard to hit a good Fox player who knows how he should keep his space against ICs. It's possible for Ice Climbers to beat Fox because we can punish harder than Fox when we get an opening, but it's much easier for the Fox to get openings on his own which is the main reason why I'd say the MU is in Fox's favor. The ICs player has to understand how the Fox player moves and then stop him. You shouldn't try to catch Fox directly (unless he's in some sort of lag) because that's just what the Fox player wants you to do.

With that in mind, how you should play the MU depends completely on how the Fox plays the MU. The if Fox player camp platforms a lot then you need to trick him to jump into your hit boxes (mainly uair) - perhaps throw a waveland on platform -> grab into the mix if the Fox respects your uair too much and shields on a platform from time to time. Again, don't try to catch the Fox recklessly. Bait him into spots where you can hit him. Empty short or full jumps are great for baiting the Fox to move around without you have to commit hard.

If he wants to fight you on the ground then you have a few options. 1) You can approach with moves like WD to jab, f-tilt and perhaps grab if you overshooting the WD (aim behind him). These approaches are countered by full jumping so you want to throw some WD to u-tilt or uair into the mix as well if he tries to jump over you. 2) You can bait the Fox to approach you and punish his approaches with WD/run back to grab/smash/SH-fair/SH-bair. Fox is most likely going to approach with shine, SH Nair or SH dair, so these are the moves you want to out space. This way of fighting Fox is probably the most solid. Just make sure you don’t give up too much space when you wavedash back, because ICs can’t really do anything once they are catch at the edge as are have a hard time regaining stage control. 3) You can use a lot of blizzard and ice block desyncs and punish with WD to grab if they get hit. This is kind of hard, as you still want to trick the Fox and not just randomly throw out blizzard and ice blocks. Try to catch the Fox off guard.

I have all of the above in mind when I play against Fox, but what I do depends competently on the Fox player's style and how my conditioning has been working out. Armada's Fox pretty much camps platforms all the time while leffens Fox fights me more on the ground. Different stuff works against different players.

So yeah, be patient and notice what the Fox is doing. Then stop him.

Sheik

This is usually considered a rather bad match up for Sheik for the following two main reasons:

- Sheik struggles against ICs' CC game. Most of Sheik's attacks are easily CC'ed at low%. This is usually not that big of a deal against most characters because Sheik can use her grab to rank up % in order to "unlock" her other moves. However, this isn't really possible against ICs because grabbing ICs in gereral is rather risky; If you by accident grab Nana then Popo can punish your throw which can result in Sheik losing a stock because of...

- ICs' really strong grab punish game against Sheik. Sopo can down-throw CG Sheik to around 60 % without much trouble on every stage but FoD (because of randomly low platforms), and if the ICs players has both climbers then a grab should always result in a KO with wobbling no matter how the Sheik DIs the down-throw.

The MU from Sheik's point of view:

As a Sheik main playing this match up you should:

- Stop approaches. Because of her SH AC fair and ftilt, Sheik can stop ICs from wave dashing in can approaching in general. As a Sheik player in this MU you want to make the other player feel that he can't wave dash in to regain stage control or to approach. Sheik's tilts can be used to stop ICs from wave dashing in too if you hit them while they are in landing/sliding lag. Again just be aware of CCing. ICs can punish tilts with wobbling to rather high % with CC.

- Camp platforms. ICs in general has a hard time dealing with platform camping. However, with that said I think the platform-antiplatform game is in the climbers favor in the long run because they can punish harder than Sheik when they get an opening. I don't think Sheik can win the MU by platform-camping all the time, but it's a really good way for the Sheik to get some early % before trying to KO Nana. Bait the ICs to jump after you and punish with bair/fair; use SH needles to rank up %; drop through the platform to fair/bair to stop ICs from wave dashing under you. Dream Land 64 is a good stage for this strat, but it can work on most stages besides FD.

- Use lots of needles in neutral position. Sheik can't really approach ICs until ICs has reached a certain %. However, ICs can't really approach Sheik either without risking to get hit by a well spaced fair. For this reason the MU can be rather campy when both characters are at low % with both characters shoting stuff at each other. While ICs doesn't really care that much about Sheik's %, it's really important for Sheik to rank up % without getting grabbed/hit. Needles (grounded and in the air) are great for this because ICs likes to be alot on the ground. Just make sure that ICs can't punish you if the needles are shielded. Also, you really want to make sure you hit with your needles when they are fully charged. If you hit ICs with your FC needles at 0% it really makes the MU so much easier.

- Try to catch ICs in the shield. ICs can't really do much about SH AC fair once the climbers are put in their shield. Just keep on fairing and be ready to cover the roll or WD OoS with reasonable moves (e.g. down-smash if they roll near the edge, ftilt if they try to WD forward).

- Try to catch the ICs at the edge. One of the climbers biggest weaknesses is that they have a really hard time regaining stage when there isn't much space to move around on compared to the other high/top tier characters. Once near the edge many ICs players like to roll back to the very edge and do a blizzard (or ice block) desynch. While this is really risky it is often the best option. If the ICs manage to get the blizzard out then they can move forward and regain stage control; and if the Sheik gets hit by the blizzard then it can lead into grab and wobbling. If you cover the roll back as well as their other options (roll behind you, wave dash forward, jumping over you, wavelanding on a platform, and dash attack) then you should be good. It also takes quite some time for the first hit box of the blizzard to come out so you have enough time to run in and do a down smash once you see the roll back. In general, don't be afraid to down-smash ICs when they're shielding near a legde. While down-smash is a rather bad/risky move to use in neutral position it is a great move to push ICs off the edge. If spaced correctly the down-smash can be used to KO Nana because she will often jump into the last part of the hitbox once knocked off the stage.

- Beware of blizzard and ice shot desyncs. If you get hit on the ground by one of these projectiles it can lead into grab and wobbling if the ICs capitalizes on it. If you get hit anyway try to DI up and away to avoid the grab. Some ICs mains like to use a lot of desyns in neutral position against Sheik.

- Kill Nana. However, don't rush it. Rank up some % first. Without Nana ICs can't use desync tricks and can't punish as hard.

Peach

[...] So, about the Peach MU. It's winnable if the Peach is playing it sub-optimal. ICs can pretty much punish every of Peach's moves but fair with wobbling if you get the read. However, Peach doesn't need to do anything besides FC fair. It works at any %, is safe on shield, can be used to split up ICs, and it can be used to KO Nana at very low risk. The best way to beat Peach's FC fair with others characters is usually dash dancing into punish (grab) or wave dash back into punish. ICs can do this as well, but because Nana can't dash dance and her wave dash is delayed, she usually gets hit by the fair even though your spacing with Popo is on point and you get the punish (grab). In most MUs this can work out for ICs because Nana will usually get back to Popo fastly if hit at lower % so that you can get a big punish. However, because the fair knocks Nana into the ground at every % (and because Nana doesn't tech) she won't be back in time to help Popo. This means that you'll have to punish with Sopo everytime you punish the fair which at best is around 30% damage on Peach. You'll have to do this many times just in order to get a single stock, and Peach just needs to land a single fair to KO Nana.

The above means that playing defensively against Peach is a losing battle because you'll have to win way more spacing wars than the Peach in order to take a stock. However, playing offensively isn't much better because you can't approach Peach while she's floating at certain height. It's possible for the Peach player to stop any attempt at wave dashing in on your part with FC fair. Sure you can get some damage with some well timed aeriales, but once again you'll have to do this many times in order to take 1 stock. Peach needs just one read on your approach to KO Nana off a fair. Ice block and blizzard desyncs don't work either because Peach can just float over them and punish with fair.

However, if the Peach player likes to do other stuff than FC fair then the MU becomes very winnable. Peach mains who are not familiar with the MU and therefore try to play it like any other MU are beatable because it's possible to punish hard, and luckily only a few Peach players know the MU. Armada and M2K are to this day the only players I have watched playing the MU right. I really can't see Wobbles beat these guys in a set even though it might be one of his best MUs. It really is the closest you get to a winnable MU among the high/top tier characters. Without her fair I think the MU would be in ICs' favour, but with it the ICs has to be a much better player in order to win if the Peach player plays the MU right.

I still think there's hope, however, but it comes down to stuff like platform camping with Ice blocks and playing for the time out. I also have some very specific desyncs that I think could be used to beat the fair, but it needs more testing.

[...]Alright. Sure, you can fight Peach while she's floating and hit her with stuff like full jump aerial. This isn't too hard and I do it quite often against Peach to get in some damage, even against Armada when I get a read. However, the problem is that the punish game is so much in Peach's favor that this is a losing battle for the ICs player in the long run. If two players who are more or less even in skill lvl fight each other in this match up then the ICs player needs to win way more spacing wars than the Peach player to win a stock (given that the Peach player's punish game has reached a certain lvl). ICs has to commit hard to the approach each time they decide to fight Peach in the air. If the Peach players reacts correctly or get a read on one of these approaches and punish with fair then Nana should be out. The Peach player doesn't need to commit as hard when she goes in with fair or tries to intercept an incoming approach because FC fair has so little lag. Sure, once she whiffs her aerial and she's on the ground you should be able to punish her, but once again you have to know Peach's next move. When I play against Armada he usually goes for a jab, down-smash or a roll/spotdodge if he whiffs a fair really close to me (otherwise he will just jump up again and start to float if I'm not in a position to punish him). Each of these moves can be punished, but you can't cover them all at the same time with ICs.

Just for heck of it, here is Fly v Armada from Evo to demonstrate what I'm talking about.

If you watch my set against Paju from BEAST4 you'll see that I get most of my KOs because of wobbling by baiting and punishing a d-smash or because Paju decides to battle on the ground. If Paju had decided not to fight me on the ground and float camp more then I wouldn't be able to land those grabs and it would be so much harder for me to take stocks off him.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Falcon and Fox are such volatile matchups. I never know if I like or dislike them. Against Peach and Samus you have to play the numbers game, avoid getting caught in their high damage setups and trick them into your grab combo setups. Sigh.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I am a big fan of both fox and falcon MUs.Falcon is pretty easy, honestly, I don't think it's bad for the ICs at all (it's pretty even if falcon knows the MU)
Fox, on the other hand, it's a lot more tricky and pretty brutal for both characters.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
I still don't see how the Icies/Puff matchup is in favour of Icies whatsoever. One bair on shield and Nana goes flying and with their recovery they're just easily gimpable.

Also, I'd wager that Peach/Icies is one of the worst, if not the worst, matchup in the entire game.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Samus/ICs is worse than Peach/ICs
If you think Peach/ICs is anywhere close to the worst matchup in the entire game then I'm sorry to say you don't know a great deal about the entire game
Watch m2k's recent set vs. wobbles

vs. Puff ICs have disjoints, solid KO power if they can land their good hits, blizzard to wall her out, dair to outspeed her aerials at close-range, and a solid way to challenge her weaving due to their fast and long-range wavedash. Popo doesn't get junked by puff that hard at all either as long as you don't get knocked off-stage, he can hold his own in the neutral game really well

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Samus/ICs is worse than Peach/ICs
If you think Peach/ICs is anywhere close to the worst matchup in the entire game then I'm sorry to say you don't know a great deal about the entire game
Watch m2k's recent set vs. wobbles
I said that for a long time, and still pretty much agree with it anywhere but the top level.
I was talking about it with Duck awhile back and he was saying that no top level ICs have trouble with the matchup and that it's more of a problem that exists at mid level play.
similar to how ICs are difficult for sheik.

It's just a very different matchup. you can't play the same as you normally would.
I'm terrible at it, it's really slow and you kinda just turtle around with lightshields and punish her non-jab moves on your shield

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
I played a very campy falco this last weekend, all he did on Dreamland and FoD was camp the top platform and only come down to shoot lasers. i thought approaching with up airs was smart but i ended up losing the set 2-0. Any advice on what to do when playing a falco like this?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
patience.
It gets way more difficult for those falcos if you get the lead early on.
Then you camp them.

In general, I don't like the idea of dreamland against falco, but most falco players are terrible and are under the illusion that yoshi's is his best stage or something, but they also don't play their character correctly, so w/e.

But I also don't like the idea of ICs on dreamland in general except in certain mus. They are still solid but you have to play very differently.

In general, I think the matchup is much easier if you learn when it is safe to desync off of lasers, which is very effective at closing in space.

The goal is to trap falco in a weird position.when you go up to poke him on platforms, it gives him the opportunity to get underneath you, which is really good for falco.
but if you can read his jumps and where he will land, you can challenge him and falco really doesn't like to be directly over ICs.

Also keep in mind, if you have a lead, you never need to approach. So make him come to you.
That's how VaNz taught me to deal with campy players.

siloFM

Smash Rookie
NNID
siloFM
Hi folks - I'm a recent ICs main, having spent years playing Zelda.

This thread has been immensely helpful. Curious if you folks would be interested in hearing the Zelda/ICs match-up Do's and Dont's and what not from one of Canada's top Zelda mains, that recently started to pick-up Ice Climbers.

Thanks!

Top Bottom