• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climber Changes (E3 2018)

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
So, our beloved ICs have finally returned. Feels great! But... how are they looking power-wise?

Share any information and videos you have here!

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
In the same video above it looks like their down throw can easily combo into up air for a kill confirm but could become a 50/50 with proper DI. The up air in general looks ridiculous.

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTupPAY_s18&t=110s

Looks like some sort of desync around the 1:30 mark
0:55 when doing a backthrow, nana isn't doing the taunt when normally throwing an opponent?
1:28 he desynchs out of a backwords roll and a ?smash-attack cancelled? dashdance
1:35 another desynch
2:03 Nana broke popo out of a grab! Very important detail.
2:08 again Nana doesn't do the taunt while backthrowing!

and nice to see that sh desynched blizzard is still a thing!

Last edited:

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
Ice Climber E3 Footage
For those interesting in some gameplay footage of Ice Climbers I got the the Finals of E3 Competitive Tourney as them. Curious for others thoughts on any insights I might have missed during my play time with them.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Uuuhhh, bad new boys.
At the 5:16 mark, when Nana took damage while using Belay, the rope connecting Nana and Popo broke, and Popo gained even less height than if he used Belay solo.

Ac2HTFV[1].png

This might be the biggest nerf so far lol

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Ok, so the list of nerfs so far.

Up b sweet spot interuptable like seen in the vid above
Up b sweet spot getting walk up buffered still results in Nana getting trumped.
Reported that it's less convinient to desynch (that will be more certain around the initial release).
Nana steps to the background when popo throws.
Nana steps to the background when popo is getting grabbed.
Nana can not grab either players or items (no dual items anymore apparently).
F, b and uthrow potentially leads to nothing.
Footstool is techable, so if there would be footstool shenanigans, it would likely be escapable.
Shiek matchup potentially not as free anymore.
Jumpsquat animation changed to IC and fox speed across the board, meaning a small advantage lost

Potential buffs
Overall movement speed
Fair spike angle and landlag
Upair maybe(?) killing
Blizzard unfreezing slower meaning gimmicky kills?!

some stuff to check
does dsmash inner hit still do 45% damage like in brawl, that are the new smash properties concidering the animations are quite a bit different.

Last edited:

hebona

Smash Rookie
Is there footage of an ICs using Belay where the Nana hitbox connects with an opponent? I'm curious as to whether or not they went the melee route (very little knockback, not a reliable kill setup) or the Brawl route (mid/high percent kills more likely)...

I wonder how custom controls will influence the ICs. I want to test desync Nana charged smash attack into Popo grab... This wasn't possible in Melee due to the Z button becoming lightshield when A is held but maybe custom controls will change this...

Smasher89

Smash Lord
s there footage of an ICs using Belay where the Nana hitbox connects with an opponent? I'm curious as to whether or not they went the melee route (very little knockback, not a reliable kill setup) or the Brawl route (mid/high percent kills more likely)...
1 thing about that is certain, Nana can now be challenged /outprioritized, but have not seen if it works as a kill move yet. Can't find the site atm, but there is a website that lists all the character matchups and uploaded videos so far.

Rocker

Smash Rookie
Does down throw guarantee a true follow up at low percent to a tilt and higher percents into aerials? I've mostly seen it hit but I've seen it miss too but could've just been bad execution.

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
I'm a bit sad they got nerfed, but I also really like that Up air buff. (At least I think it's a buff)

I also think Nana is a bit more easy to kill now? Maybe they'll compensate by making her run faster to Popo than before.
As for chain grabs, I'm extremely happy they got removed, it just made Ice Climbers matches in Brawl so boring and repetitive. I'm all for more creative thinking and going around your character's weaknesses to find strengths!

Rocker

Smash Rookie
I definitely agree that the removal of chain grabs is a great thing, I hope it will lead to more creative thinking instead of just grab setups.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
I definitely agree that the removal of chain grabs is a great thing, I hope it will lead to more creative thinking instead of just grab setups.
You know that grabs likely wont kill at all right?, and that people get better tools to camp and kill Nana, in a tournament setting that might actually make them not viable.

Rocker

Smash Rookie
it will make them worse, i'm just talking in general for the game. No one wants to play against melee or brawl ICs.

Rocker

Smash Rookie
For the average player it is a lot better, I'm not talking about the best of the best.

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
You know that grabs likely wont kill at all right?, and that people get better tools to camp and kill Nana, in a tournament setting that might actually make them not viable.
And why is the fact that Grabs can't kill bad?

Smasher89

Smash Lord
And why is the fact that Grabs can't kill bad?
It's been their staple so far, tricking anyones DI when doing a regular/reverse fsmash to screw their DI over is really satisfying.
Have you played as ICs getting camped in either melee or brawl?

Not seeing it better for the average players, the game is just gonna be even campier, forcing ICs to camp (while they in general has been the ones to approach to get grabs before, now just try to extend lead and blizzardcamp and win by timeout instead or the super high % aerial kills, smashes arent nearly as reliable).

Last edited:
Top Bottom