• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Will Believe In Myself: Miles "Tails" Prower Support Thread

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
F'it. Nobody ever said that Joker is the one and only SEGA character we're getting, so until it's explicitly stated otherwise, or unless Tails is directly addressed as a non-possibility, I think Tails (and Eggman, and my little bias angel Arle) still have a chance.

That being said, I will generally act under the assumption that Joker is the one and only just in case he turns out to be.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I don't know, it's pretty weird. You have echoes with unique moves (Chrom), differing stats (Ken), unique properties (Lucina) and yet somehow characters like Pichu and Young/Toon Link aren't categorized in them.
Isn't it like, because they have identical build and moveset outside of specials? (Smashes, arials, throws)

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
Alright, let's have an overview on Tails' spirit.

Tails isn't Primary, in fact, the only Primary spirits that are Sonic Series I have is Dr. Eggman, Metal Sonic, Infinite, Chaos, Chao and the Chaotix. The other spirits that are secondary are Amy Rose, Rough The Bat, Silver The Hedgehog and Blaze The Cat.

Tails used his Sonic Colours render, and can be found near the end of the World Of Light Campaign, here's the puppet fighter you have to face.

Fox Mcloud with a Jet pack, using an alternative costume. Takes place on the Sonic Lost World stage. The Knuckles Assist Trophy is used as an extra enemy for you to avoid, here's the perks he has.

Up Special ^
Slightly increases the power of up special attacks.

He's a 3 star spirit, which I believe is an Ace level. He only costs one slot on the support blocks.

Are you happy with this spirit? Or do you think it could have been better?

Edit - Shadow & Omega are Primary Spirits

Last edited:

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
Well, goodbye for now, guys. I hope that I feel hopeful enough later on to come back, but I was leaving at this point either way. No more internet for a while, health reasons >.>

volbound1700

Smash Master
I actually just realized that we kind of forgot that Smash 4 began with no 3rd party Mii costumes either. I think that should at least put some credence into 3rd party costumes returning at some point. They're likely still content that needs to be somewhat talked to with the companies even if they're not as big as actual 3rd party characters.

Maybe when Joker is added, a Sega pack will come in with the returning Sonic and Virtua Fighter costumes. Along with maybe some new costumes like Eggman, Shadow, Other Persona characters, Rodin/Bayonetta characters, etc.
I am hoping for that. Perhaps it comes with this first fighter pass. I felt that the Mii costume represented Tails and Knuckles decently so I am alright getting the costumes if it gives another character other people want a chance.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well, goodbye for now, guys. I hope that I feel hopeful enough later on to come back, but I was leaving at this point either way. No more internet for a while, health reasons >.>
I am going to get nailed for the double-post but I have to post this after seeing it. I hope you get better soon man.

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
Why would Sora make Tails' spirit so bad, Characters like Gamma are in and it's primary.

We have to face the facts...

- Joker took the 3rd Sega Rep DLC spot...

- Tails Costume is gone and might not return...

- Tails' Spirit is completely useless

- Knuckles & Shadow, the characters who are rivals, but aren't as close to Sonic unlike Tails gets Assist Trophy's that even though Decomfirm them, they at least affect the Match in certain ways.

Thread, us Tails fans have been played dirty, maybe more than Issac fans, but I ain saying we are on that level. The dreams dead. Nintendo, SEGA, and most importantly Masahiro Sakurai, actually made this whole hype cycle a nightmare.

I absolutely adore Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, I really do. But this is absolutely disgusting, a character some have been waiting for since Super Smash Bros. Melee isn't going to happen...

This campaign is done.

Characters like Geno, Issac, Black Knight and many, many more are being shoved aside by characters like Joker, and while I won't hate on Persona. It's a taste of the future, and it's actually really hard to digest.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Tbf, Isaac at least got a Mii costume and assist trophy, while Tails has neither in Ultimate.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Alright, let's have an overview on Tails' spirit.

Tails isn't Primary, in fact, the only Primary spirits that are Sonic Series I have is Dr. Eggman, Metal Sonic, Infinite, Chaos, Chao and the Chaotix. The other spirits that are secondary are Amy Rose, Rough The Bat, Silver The Hedgehog and Blaze The Cat.

Tails used his Sonic Colours render, and can be found near the end of the World Of Light Campaign, here's the puppet fighter you have to face.

Fox Mcloud with a Jet pack, using an alternative costume. Takes place on the Sonic Lost World stage. The Knuckles Assist Trophy is used as an extra enemy for you to avoid, here's the perks he has.

Up Special ^
Slightly increases the power of up special attacks.

He's a 3 star spirit, which I believe is an Ace level. He only costs one slot on the support blocks.

Are you happy with this spirit? Or do you think it could have been better?

Edit - Shadow & Omega are Primary Spirits
Wait - Tails isn't even primary? WTF?

And Fox with a jetpack? Not even the way more obvious super leaf (which would allow him to float and give him a second tail)?

...wow.

I really hope they're gonna randomly drop some echoes now. That's not even a satisfying spirit battle. I was nervous about that since the "set your team" menu bit shows Tails in the BG, so looks like that's true too.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Best of luck to you on your recovery. Get well soon.

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430

And Fox with a jetpack? Not even the way more obvious super leaf (which would allow him to float and give him a second tail)?

...wow.

I really hope they're gonna randomly drop some echoes now. That's not even a satisfying spirit battle. I was nervous about that since the "set your team" menu bit shows Tails in the BG, so looks like that's true too.
We've actually got nothing too look forward too now when it comes to Tails in Smash Related news...

volbound1700

Smash Master
We've actually got nothing too look forward too now when it comes to Tails in Smash Related news...
You never know. It also might be SEGA and not Nintendo who is the problem. I am at least expecting the costumes to return because none of the third-party Mii costumes have appeared yet.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
You never know. It also might be SEGA and not Nintendo who is the problem. I am at least expecting the costumes to return because none of the third-party Mii costumes have appeared yet.
I bet Sega could be on board with Tails being in. They already have 3 unique characters. With a Persona stage confirmed, Sega will have the most stages of any third party company in Ultimate, with 4.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'm still thinking he has a shot, though Joker being a Sega IP isn't exactly helpful. Then again, nothing says there can't be 4 or more Sega-owned fighters. Heck, who knows, while extremely extremely unlikely, all DLC could be from Sega with what little we know.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I bet Sega could be on board with Tails being in. They already have 3 unique characters. With a Persona stage confirmed, Sega will have the most stages of any third party company in Ultimate, with 4.
Perhaps but SEGA may have asked for Joker and Bayonetta before Tails.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You guys got to remember Capcom has 3 reps, Konami has 3 reps, and now Sega has 3 reps. Out of those, we got 2 Echo Fighters who are both secondary reps for their series. Even with Shadow and Knuckles being in the Assist Trophy graveyard, I still can't believe both Street Fighter and Castlevania has more reps than Sonic the Hedgehog. Tails is the most deserving secondary 3rd party character to get in and he is the 2nd most iconic co-protagonist in gaming. While he does have a spirit, nothing really has came out yet to completely deconfirm characters if they are spirits. Knuckles was a Mii costume back in Smash 4, a Assist Trophy in Ultimate, and he is in the background in GHZ as well as Tails who also had a Mii costume back in Smash 4. It doesn't make any sense that Knuckles, Shadow, Richter, and Ken would have Assist Trophies our would be playable but not Tails. Don't lose your faith in him.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You guys got to remember Capcom has 3 reps, Konami has 3 reps, and now Sega has 3 reps. Out of those, we got 2 Echo Fighters who are both secondary reps for their series. Even with Shadow and Knuckles being in the Assist Trophy graveyard, I still can't believe both Street Fighter and Castlevania has more reps than Sonic the Hedgehog.
yeah it is strange that the first two 3rd party series to get more characters werent the ones that had the initial fan demand sonic's the only character whom a game was delayed so he could be added so you think a character with that sort of fan demand would have been first to get a second character

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well Castlevania got a lot in this new game, more than Megaman, Sonic, and Pacman which are probably the three biggest third-party reps. Castlevania had a themed area of WOL, a boss (Dracula), and a lot of sound.

I am surprised that Megaman and Sonic (as well as various Nintendo franchises) didn't receive their own bosses in WOL and Classic.

Some of Nintendo's own franchises didn't get the love you see for Castlevania or even Street Fighter in WOL.

The best chance for Tails is a second fighter pass. If we buy and support the game, we will likely get more content.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well Castlevania got a lot in this new game, more than Megaman, Sonic, and Pacman which are probably the three biggest third-party reps. Castlevania had a themed area of WOL, a boss (Dracula), and a lot of sound.

I am surprised that Megaman and Sonic (as well as various Nintendo franchises) didn't receive their own bosses in WOL and Classic.

Some of Nintendo's own franchises didn't get the love you see for Castlevania or even Street Fighter in WOL.

The best chance for Tails is a second fighter pass. If we buy and support the game, we will likely get more content.
yeah theres some series its really surprising they didnt get their own boss

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

...wow.

I don't know, man. If Shadow, someone who at least usually plays very similar to Sonic in those games, can't make it in as an echo fighter, what chance does Tails, an even more unique diversion from Sonic, have in making it in as an echo under Sega's licensing rules in representing their characters?

Though there was some recent game of sorts, maybe a fighting one for mobile or something, where Sonic and Shadow both appear in it, maybe Shadow being a clone? Anyone know what I'm referring to?

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I don't know, man. If Shadow, someone who at least usually plays very similar to Sonic in those games, can't make it in as an echo fighter, what chance does Tails, an even more unique diversion from Sonic, have in making it in as an echo under Sega's licensing rules in representing their characters?

Though there was some recent game of sorts, maybe a fighting one for mobile or something, where Sonic and Shadow both appear in it, maybe Shadow being a clone? Anyone know what I'm referring to?
I haven't heard of such a game, but if it exists, it could be interesting.

Tails does have the iconic clout that Shadow doesn't have, so I see that as reason enough to bring him in as an Echo, despite being more different, while Shadow remains an AT.

TailsFoxie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8467-4041-5425
You guys got to remember Capcom has 3 reps, Konami has 3 reps, and now Sega has 3 reps. Out of those, we got 2 Echo Fighters who are both secondary reps for their series. Even with Shadow and Knuckles being in the Assist Trophy graveyard, I still can't believe both Street Fighter and Castlevania has more reps than Sonic the Hedgehog. Tails is the most deserving secondary 3rd party character to get in and he is the 2nd most iconic co-protagonist in gaming. While he does have a spirit, nothing really has came out yet to completely deconfirm characters if they are spirits. Knuckles was a Mii costume back in Smash 4, a Assist Trophy in Ultimate, and he is in the background in GHZ as well as Tails who also had a Mii costume back in Smash 4. It doesn't make any sense that Knuckles, Shadow, Richter, and Ken would have Assist Trophies our would be playable but not Tails. Don't lose your faith in him.
I 100% Agree With You!!
No Way I'm Losing Hope,
i don't know about ya'll, but.
I don't care what nobody says otherwise.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Mii Costume DLC confirmed

(Direct Link)

I'm willing to guess all 3rd party Mii costumes from the last game will return through this way. It is a bit of a shame to have to buy them all over again. But eh, I don't mind. I actually at least use Brawler a good amount. And if the Tails costume comes back, I'm using Gunner more often again as well.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Mii Costume DLC confirmed

(Direct Link)

I'm willing to guess all 3rd party Mii costumes from the last game will return through this way. It is a bit of a shame to have to buy them all over again. But eh, I don't mind. I actually at least use Brawler a good amount. And if the Tails costume comes back, I'm using Gunner more often again as well.
can we trust this source

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Well, it's been a while huh?
I've been so distracted by Smash Ultimate that I forgot about this forum.
So about Joker........... Yeah, I'd say Tails' chances are slim now. Not impossible, but even I doubt his chances now.
I don't hate Joker for it, in fact, I do think he might be interesting and increased Sora's chances for Smash, but there's no denying I wanted Tails more.
The only possibilities now are:
1. We get Tails' costume back, as DLC. And it's also like the Skull Kid costume.
2. He's a DLC echo, which I doubt,
3. We get a second wave of DLC. Very doubtful
4. We're all wrong and Tails does indeed get in. Again, very doubtful.
It sucks how much Tails has gotten treated recently, With Forces and now this. I mean it isn't Cream levels or Mighty and Ray levels, but it still sucks.
Tails' Mii costume didn't return and his spirits, from what I heard is useless.
Next, to Geno, Jacky, Gill and Heihachi, Tails got completely ripped off. It does suck. I'll support for Smash 6(Assuming there is one, in the future) since hope for Tails in Ultimate isn't as strong now.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ok, so I finally hit the Tails spirit battle.

Yep, it's Fox (yellow jacket) with a Jetpack. With Knux also there being annoying. And his Spirit isn't primary, but it's ability is to increase the power of the up special, which is actually unique so far. Not that it's too useful since the Wind Fish and Shine Sprite increade the power of all specials, but it's not just "you get a rocket belt at the beginning."

I'm praying that we get Tails as a DLC echo, but that's stupidly unlikely. It'd be easy enough to do - we're obviouly getting Mii costumes back and character costume DLC would sell so well it's not even funny, so making more echoes (since they've admitted that it's quicker) would also be cool. I actually wouldn't mind a bunch of echoes coming in for DLC that cost more than a costume but less than a full character - I'd buy them...

But as with any DLC now, we have to contend with the fact that the Spirit battles are programmed in.

Considering the spirit battle, that'd also be easy enough to change out. Not patch out since people have unlocked it, but the Spirit could change wholesale to be the Tornado spirit instead. The battle could still stay the same since it's a jetpack (granted switching Fox to his red costume or just throwing in Tails instead would make more sense), as could the Spirit effects. Then they could just use the current spirit art for Tails' Fighter spirit.

TailsFoxie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8467-4041-5425
Dear Sega, After Team Sonic Racing,
Your Next spinoff should be a Fighting game
or a remake of Sonic Battle, because
said blue hedgehog as the only sonic character ina
a certain fighting game series,
isn't enough for alot of us.
and by doing this, Everyone is happy. lol.

Last edited:

TailsFoxie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8467-4041-5425
Since Everyone here is hypnotized by Ultimate,
lol, may as well say more Mii outfits
will come next year[probably third party ones]

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I've got a couple fun things for you all that I've posted elsewhere.

Here's my concept for Tails' classic mode route...
It Takes Two
Theme - Sidekicks!
Each battle is a team battle with :ultsonic:. The CPU level of the sidekick character is higher than the other. Assist Trophies are only set to spawn Knuckles or Shadow; CPUs tend to avoid them.
  1. Vs. :ultdk::ultdiddy: on Kongo Falls (Music: Jungle Level, Jazz)
  2. Vs. :ultvillager::ultisabelle: on Town and City (Music: Title, Happy Home Designer)
  3. Vs. :ultrobin::ultchrom: on Arena Ferox (Music: Code Name FE)
  4. Vs. :ultfox::ultfalco: on Lylat Cruise (Music: Corneria, Star Fox Zero)
  5. Vs. :ultpeach::ultdaisy: on Wuhu Island Omega (Music: Stadium, Mario Tennis Aces)
  6. Bonus Game
  7. Vs. :ultmario::ultluigi: on New Donk City (Music: Studiopolis)
  8. Vs. Master and Crazy
And a mockup for a Palutena's Guidance for him...
What’s this fox doing here? This isn’t Final Destination!
That’s Sonic’s best friend. His name is Miles Prower, but everyone calls him “Tails.”
Why do they call him “Tails?”
Pit, just look at him!
Tails has been an ally of Sonic’s since Sonic’s second adventure. Tails may be quite a bit younger than Sonic, but he’s a technical genius. He spends his time building and maintaining the Sonic team’s gear.
Go Tails! Fight the power!
Wait, you support him? I thought you didn’t like tech geeks!
Normally, but Tails uses all of his gear to stop the evil Dr. Eggman from turning the cute little woodland creatures into robots and save them! He saves the forest’s wildlife! He’s a hero!
Hey, you’re supposed to be helping me!
How many little woodland creatures have you saved?
I’ll show you! After I take out this little fox, I’ll save all of the woodland creatures myself!
Now, how can I do this…
I know! I’ve got wings! I can stay in the air and these little creatures will never get me!
Umm…
Shh, don’t tell him!
Ok Pit, good luck! Be sure to let us know how that goes!

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
I've got a couple fun things for you all that I've posted elsewhere.

Here's my concept for Tails' classic mode route...

And a mockup for a Palutena's Guidance for him...
Wow nice on both! you could also throw in bowser and bowser jr.

volbound1700

Smash Master
We just don't have enough support ultimately. It stinks but why should Tails be in the series? The Sonic fanbase is too divided to agree on anyone to be with Sonic.

SonicMario

Smash Master
We just don't have enough support ultimately. It stinks but why should Tails be in the series? The Sonic fanbase is too divided to agree on anyone to be with Sonic.
I don't think it came down to Tails not having enough support as the sole reason he's likely not making it in Ultimate. Yes if Tails had maybe gotten K. Rool or Ridley type support then yes he certainly would of made it. Hell he might of made it even if Tails got as much as Isaac or Geno do despite both not making it in either. Everyone is Here came with the drawback of less newcomers. Only 11 and only 6 if you don't count echoes, the least amount of newcomers (Until DLC anyway, I'm talking just base game though) in any game even to the point of one less then the N64 game. There just wasn't alot of room, and 3rd parties take quite a bit of work to include. I imagine even Richter and Ken took some negotiations even fi they're both echoes (To be fair though, Ken is fairly different enough).

Plus Sakurai's known to be a big fan of both Street Fighter and Castlevania, so there's also a little bit of developer bias here where while I'm sure Sakurai doesn't DISLIKE the Sonic series, he probably favors some of the other 3rd party series more just for more personal attachment. If Sakurai had been a big Sonic fan he certainly would of put Tails, Knuckles, or Eggman in already.

We already have 11 3rd parties in the game and our 12th 3rd party coming in DLC is Joker. Meaning we have 3 out 12 from Sega owned properties so it's just going to be hard to convince anyone a 4th is necessary. If it meant Tails makes it in eventually I would love "Too much Sega" to become the new "Too much Fire Emblem", it's probably just a little more complicated then that as of right now.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yeah the Joker thing pretty much killed any hope for Tails, Shadow, or Knuckles. Joker is so stupid. I never heard of the character until the announcement and he really didn't excite me at all. Honestly, none of the character announcements have excited me since the August direct. I have grown a little on Incineroar, however, because I see why Sakurai included him. He has a very unique moveset. He looks stupid aesthetically but has a great moveset. I don't see why Isabella was included. I have yet to run into anyone that likes the character or has the character as a main. Similar situation with Ken and Richter Belmont. Both seem like wasted space.

This has really been the first Smash game were I was unhappy with the newcomers. It isn't even the number of newcomers as I was expecting about the number (perhaps even a couple less). It was the actual selections. The Fighter Pass hasn't gotten off to a good start for me either. I don't know why Nintendo can't put in classic characters that everyone wants, knows, and enjoys like they did with the Wii U. I mean they added Megaman, Pacman, etc.

Could Nintendo have not done Bomberman in place of Richter? They made half his moveset already with the AT. How about Skull Kid over Isabella. Where is Rayman? Doesn't Ubisoft deserve a rep? Rayman has put a game on every Nintendo console since the Gamecube generation. Rayman fits every well with the Nintendo lineup aesthetically.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah the Joker thing pretty much killed any hope for Tails, Shadow, or Knuckles. Joker is so stupid. I never heard of the character until the announcement and he really didn't excite me at all. Honestly, none of the character announcements have excited me since the August direct. I have grown a little on Incineroar, however, because I see why Sakurai included him. He has a very unique moveset. He looks stupid aesthetically but has a great moveset. I don't see why Isabella was included. I have yet to run into anyone that likes the character or has the character as a main. Similar situation with Ken and Richter Belmont. Both seem like wasted space.

This has really been the first Smash game were I was unhappy with the newcomers. It isn't even the number of newcomers as I was expecting about the number (perhaps even a couple less). It was the actual selections. The Fighter Pass hasn't gotten off to a good start for me either. I don't know why Nintendo can't put in classic characters that everyone wants, knows, and enjoys like they did with the Wii U. I mean they added Megaman, Pacman, etc.

Could Nintendo have not done Bomberman in place of Richter? They made half his moveset already with the AT. How about Skull Kid over Isabella. Where is Rayman? Doesn't Ubisoft deserve a rep? Rayman has put a game on every Nintendo console since the Gamecube generation. Rayman fits every well with the Nintendo lineup aesthetically.
isabelle's inclusion was most likely due to animal crossing being very popular and she is the most popular of the cast so her pliability in smash was deserved and inevitable

joker feels like sakurai is trying to hard to surprise us but hes mostly lost, piranha plant was surprising but no one else was

Last edited:

newsuperhackboys

Smash Cadet
I think Tails' inclusion would make sense. He's Sonic sidekick. We got Luigi, Ken, and Diddy Kong, so it would make since to throw Tails in for me. I know some people will disagree but I think he works best as an echo especially with Shadow being an assist trophy. And Cream could take Tails' role in the Green Hill Zone stage when he is one it.

Top Bottom