• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Will Believe In Myself: Miles "Tails" Prower Support Thread

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
CaptainAmerica CaptainAmerica I'm not okay. The gaming industry hits me with nothing but slaps in the face (I'm the one guy who HATED Breath of the Wild), and I don't really have anything to keep myself going outside of games.

On top of that, I've seen really heavy anti-Tails sentiments in the past 3 years on the sites I frequent, and he's my favorite character ever so it breaks me heart in tiny pieces...

I just want to break down into tears...

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
CaptainAmerica CaptainAmerica I'm not okay. The gaming industry hits me with nothing but slaps in the face (I'm the one guy who HATED Breath of the Wild), and I don't really have anything to keep myself going outside of games.

On top of that, I've seen really heavy anti-Tails sentiments in the past 3 years on the sites I frequent, and he's my favorite character ever so it breaks me heart in tiny pieces...

I just want to break down into tears...
Everyone bashes the characters they don't want. I'm a huge Dragonborn supporter, and that support thread gets very little action since people favor Doomguy. It's frustrating.

I remember when Sm4sh speculation was big - I really got hard on the Ridley and K.Rool trains. Both really deserved it, they both had huge fanbases, and then Ridley got dangled in front of our noses the whole speculation cycle, only for the "Ridley's a punching bag!" to be thrown at us over a year after he was first teased. They could have started with that, but they didn't. It hurt. Plus the Mii costume for K.Rool, and then announcing Bayonetta won when there was very little support for her online were odd. It did come out this year that the ballot didn't really affect Sm4sh much.

I was really disappointed by Sm4sh. It had a bunch of newbies I didn't care about, it cut the characters I liked, and there was almost nothing to do for single players except for the same battles over and over. That was also at a time when my friends were all moving off into their own directions, so I never got a chance to play with my friends either. If I wanted Smash, I just kept playing Brawl until that disc got scratched. Also, there were other games that I had loads of fun with, and Smash just stopped existing for me until this new one got announced.

There'll always be new games out there. You don't need to play a game you don't like, and things will get better with time.

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
Everyone bashes the characters they don't want. I'm a huge Dragonborn supporter, and that support thread gets very little action since people favor Doomguy. It's frustrating.

I remember when Sm4sh speculation was big - I really got hard on the Ridley and K.Rool trains. Both really deserved it, they both had huge fanbases, and then Ridley got dangled in front of our noses the whole speculation cycle, only for the "Ridley's a punching bag!" to be thrown at us over a year after he was first teased. They could have started with that, but they didn't. It hurt. Plus the Mii costume for K.Rool, and then announcing Bayonetta won when there was very little support for her online were odd. It did come out this year that the ballot didn't really affect Sm4sh much.

I was really disappointed by Sm4sh. It had a bunch of newbies I didn't care about, it cut the characters I liked, and there was almost nothing to do for single players except for the same battles over and over. That was also at a time when my friends were all moving off into their own directions, so I never got a chance to play with my friends either. If I wanted Smash, I just kept playing Brawl until that disc got scratched. Also, there were other games that I had loads of fun with, and Smash just stopped existing for me until this new one got announced.

There'll always be new games out there. You don't need to play a game you don't like, and things will get better with time.
I had a very similar experience with Smash 4 except I was almost totally antisocial at the time >.>

Thing is, almost every game I once loved has disappointed me in big ways lately. And those that haven't are kinda meh franchises in my eyes. Kingdom Hearts is the only big one left for me to enjoy, but after KH3, how many years will I have to wait for a new one? Maybe I'm greedy for new stuff I genuinely want, but I'm hurting for money and always have been. If I'm buying games, I should really like them, you know?

Further, the gaming world has become a bit too hardcore for me. I can't feel as good at Smash as I used to with the existing characters I like. But if I had gotten Tails, I'd have stopped caring about being good and just mained him for the joy of it. As it stands, I have no viable main based on my knowledge of the last 2 games, and I'm not going to resort to a character I don't like because that's not fun for me.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I had a very similar experience with Smash 4 except I was almost totally antisocial at the time >.>

Thing is, almost every game I once loved has disappointed me in big ways lately. And those that haven't are kinda meh franchises in my eyes. Kingdom Hearts is the only big one left for me to enjoy, but after KH3, how many years will I have to wait for a new one? Maybe I'm greedy for new stuff I genuinely want, but I'm hurting for money and always have been. If I'm buying games, I should really like them, you know?

Further, the gaming world has become a bit too hardcore for me. I can't feel as good at Smash as I used to with the existing characters I like. But if I had gotten Tails, I'd have stopped caring about being good and just mained him for the joy of it. As it stands, I have no viable main based on my knowledge of the last 2 games, and I'm not going to resort to a character I don't like because that's not fun for me.
Every franchise starts to run out of steam eventually. The best ones are the ones that allow you to go back and reexperience the old ones. I just recently wiped my BotW so I could run that again, and I've got both Skyrim and Fallout set up for a full-scale run through. I get way too into those type of RPGs, so I need pretty well a free month to sit down and do nothing but experience another world...and plan exactly how to make my character before I even set foot.

I still haven't decided if I'm gonna get the DLC - it'll really depend on who else is coming. But Ultimate? There's one character who sold me on that, and it's Squirtle. I'm disappointed that Link's right-handed now, I'm disappointed that the graphics are really cartoony and cel chaded, I'm disappointed in some of the decisions about the game, but I've got Squirtle back (as long as I mute the trainer since they gave him a really obnoxious voice).

Just remember, if you want to sit Ultimate out, you're free to do that. There are loads of other games out there, and you may even find new ones you like (I got really hardcore into Dragon Age just by seeing some YouTube videos on it). There'll always be a place for you with the Tails support group, and we're not going to stop supporting him.

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
Every franchise starts to run out of steam eventually. The best ones are the ones that allow you to go back and reexperience the old ones. I just recently wiped my BotW so I could run that again, and I've got both Skyrim and Fallout set up for a full-scale run through. I get way too into those type of RPGs, so I need pretty well a free month to sit down and do nothing but experience another world...and plan exactly how to make my character before I even set foot.

I still haven't decided if I'm gonna get the DLC - it'll really depend on who else is coming. But Ultimate? There's one character who sold me on that, and it's Squirtle. I'm disappointed that Link's right-handed now, I'm disappointed that the graphics are really cartoony and cel chaded, I'm disappointed in some of the decisions about the game, but I've got Squirtle back (as long as I mute the trainer since they gave him a really obnoxious voice).

Just remember, if you want to sit Ultimate out, you're free to do that. There are loads of other games out there, and you may even find new ones you like (I got really hardcore into Dragon Age just by seeing some YouTube videos on it). There'll always be a place for you with the Tails support group, and we're not going to stop supporting him.
I can only play old games so many times before I get restless for something new. And when I realize I won't get anything new in the vein I like, I get depressed. I mean yeah, things can come back like with Mania, but that doesn't happen too often. Doesn't even look like Mania will get a sequel (because Sega doesn't like money, honestly).

Funny enough, Squirtle is my one major ray of sunshine in Ultimate, too. He's the one character in all of Smash who seems picked especially for me, as he was my favorite Pokemon at the time of Brawl. But I'm afraid of him being weak as Pichu. Maybe he has competative viability, but I don't play like competatives... I kinda suck in that scheme of things. I to this day think Meta Knight is the WORST character in Brawl XD That's my play style.

I might come back here after my personal time off, but with Tails chances of ever getting into any Smash basically gone forever, I'm not sure. I think I need to find a way to accept it, not be fed false hope and keep having my heart shattered every time Tails is deconfirmed further.

EDIT- At least realizing that Sonic characters CAN'T get in, that it's a non-possibility, is starting to calm me slightly. It's not like Shadow or Knuckles are gonna be playable ahead of Tails. It's annoying that Tails doesn't even rate an assist trophy, but I wouldn't want to beat on him without being able to play as him anyway.

Last edited:

TailsFoxie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8467-4041-5425
Yeah i saw the Joker Trailer at the GA's
also, while i haven't played Persona, i always wanted
to, so i did mark out screaming when i saw him.

Am i ready to give up on Tails?
Nope! as i still need to see the rest of the characters,
Only then will i call it quits because ya just never Know!
I have every right to still hope!

I will still get the game regardless, but after
witnessing Joker...it's pretty damn hard to predict
characters now..

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
More Third Party rules go out the window with Joker's reveal. Now, 3rd parties can have as many characters (unique or echo) as they want.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I have found a way for Joker to not shoot down Tails' chances!

I highly recommend supporting other Capcom hopefuls for DLC. Such as Amaterasu, Phoenix Wright, or Monster Hunter.

TailsFoxie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8467-4041-5425
I have found a way for Joker to not shoot down Tails' chances!

I highly recommend supporting other Capcom hopefuls for DLC. Such as Amaterasu, Phoenix Wright, or Monster Hunter.
There's more Characters i want than just Tails[He's just my Top Pick] Amaterasu being one of them!

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
There's more Characters i want than just Tails[He's just my Top Pick] Amaterasu being one of them!
I have other picks, too, but I feel so strongly about Tails that anything I get feels like a hollow victory without him ;-;
Sora is about the only other one that might make me crack a smile at this point.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
Dude, are you okay? If you need to talk, we're here for you.

I'm just gonna keep hoping, but I never really had much confidence in my favorites getting in - I got burned by Sm4sh. There are still four characters to go, and Sm4sh had more DLC than is confirmed for Ultimate, so they may end up giving us more. And remember, everyone thought Ryu was never gonna happen since Capcom already had a rep and couldn't get another. Unless Sakurai comes out and says that third party companies can't get another rep, it's just a fanrule people use to bash other peoples' picks.

To tell the truth, I never really expected Sonic to get a second rep as part of the fighter pass. Sonic's already got two stages, so getting a third would be excessive. We could definitely use one since a lot of the music is urban-themed, and the two stages are both Green Hill, but I'll make do. But Tails would be a great choice if they decided to throw some quick echoes in outside of the pack characters. I do expect at least most of the third-party Mii costumes to return, so there's still that.
Plus there's always the option of modding down the lane. Someone has already found a way to mod music in Smash Ultimate.

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
Plus there's always the option of modding down the lane. Someone has already found a way to mod music in Smash Ultimate.
I don't do mods. I don't wanna brick my console after a system update or whatever. Besides, playing as a fake version of your character is just living a lie, imo. (Which, I guess Mii Costumes are kinda the same, but they won't brick your console...)

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
It seems that Knuckles can't be spawned in for Assist on Green Hill, so he can't be there at the same time on Green Hill as a cameo and Assist.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It seems that Knuckles can't be spawned in for Assist on Green Hill, so he can't be there at the same time on Green Hill as a cameo and Assist.
So, what you're suggesting is that Tails won't appear in the background of Green Hill Zone if he's in the match?

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
I guess that bodes well for Tails then.
I'd say it bodes ill. It shows less willingness by Sakurai to edit the programming of Green Hill Zone than we'd have hoped. I don't honestly think it'd be that hard, and it's not like it won't be hackable either way. Having Knuckles unable to appear on his own stage is just petty laziness.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'd say it bodes ill. It shows less willingness by Sakurai to edit the programming of Green Hill Zone than we'd have hoped. I don't honestly think it'd be that hard, and it's not like it won't be hackable either way. Having Knuckles unable to appear on his own stage is just petty laziness.
This is a game where Robin can summon Chrom to beat up Chrom.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
You think it’d be easier to deactivate the GHZ spawn instead if an assist was in play...

Now that assist can’t spawn on its best stage at all?

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
Did the Official Mega Man Twitter just throw shade? We ain't wavedashin... (I understand its a joke, but it did catch me off guard for a second.)

IMG_20181207_232537.png

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Did the Official Mega Man Twitter just throw shade? We ain't wavedashin... (I understand its a joke, but it did catch me off guard for a second.)

View attachment 182153
That’s totally just a “Fox only no items final destination” meme joke. Though in poor taste since Tails is completely out.

Still, anyone got a twitter account? Sounds like a great springboard to reply and tweet Sega and Nintendo that we actually do want to see fox only...our fox boy.

TailsFoxie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8467-4041-5425
So what's gonna happen here now
since most people here believe Tails
won't be playable?[Considering the thread name]
Despite i still think he has a shot.

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
So what's gonna happen here now
since most people here believe Tails
won't be playable?[Considering the thread name]
Despite i still think he has a shot.
It's gonna get very quiet here unless something happens to make us think he does have a shot. Or his Mii costume releases. Or Smash 6 is announced....

....Or Solaris, Light Gaia and Chaos intervene to actually get him playable after all. It would certainly be a surprise at this point.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
That's interesting. I think this is the first time AT appearances are modified based on outside influences to my knowledge.

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
I don't want to get anybody's hopes up, but I thought of something. What if we do get standalone fighters in addition to the fighter's pass, and with Joker being kind of Sega-ish, they end up releasing Tails as a standalone at around the same time? (Kinda like... what was it, Roy & Ryu? Something like that did happen in Smash 4, I think, but not from the same company)

It's probably a fever-dream of an idea, but it could be kinda like a mini-Sega wave, with Mii Costumes and all. Sigh... I can futily dream...

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I don't want to get anybody's hopes up, but I thought of something. What if we do get standalone fighters in addition to the fighter's pass, and with Joker being kind of Sega-ish, they end up releasing Tails as a standalone at around the same time? (Kinda like... what was it, Roy & Ryu? Something like that did happen in Smash 4, I think, but not from the same company)

It's probably a fever-dream of an idea, but it could be kinda like a mini-Sega wave, with Mii Costumes and all. Sigh... I can futily dream...
It's not impossible. The Fight Pass was never stated to be the only DLC we're getting, though it's possible it could be. Still, during the previous game's DLC cycle, we did get some surprises, so there is always a chance for it. Personally, I'm going to expect the minimum, that way anything that does get added on will be more exciting.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I was thinking hoping wishing that they'd just decide to throw in bonus echoes with Mii outfits. They did like to release the last group in packs of 8, and then do a group shot of all of them together. It'd be fun if they made a pack with returning third party copstumes e.g. Megaman X, Zero, Heihachi, Lloyd, Monster Hunter, Geno, and Knuckles, and then included Tails as a Sonic echo as a bonus character to round off the eight.

I know I'd actually really like Tails as a Sonic echo. I don't play much of the hedgehog, but I know Tails best from Sonic 2 so it would be a fitting kit.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I was thinking hoping wishing that they'd just decide to throw in bonus echoes with Mii outfits. They did like to release the last group in packs of 8, and then do a group shot of all of them together. It'd be fun if they made a pack with returning third party copstumes e.g. Megaman X, Zero, Heihachi, Lloyd, Monster Hunter, Geno, and Knuckles, and then included Tails as a Sonic echo as a bonus character to round off the eight.

I know I'd actually really like Tails as a Sonic echo. I don't play much of the hedgehog, but I know Tails best from Sonic 2 so it would be a fitting kit.
With Ken drastically stretching what an Echo is, I could settle for Tails getting that treatment at this point. Tweak some of the stats so he's a tad slower, since Ken shows echoes can be different speeds, and give him the flight ability, Chrom shows echoes can have a unique move, and that'd be good enough at this point.

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
With Ken drastically stretching what an Echo is, I could settle for Tails getting that treatment at this point. Tweak some of the stats so he's a tad slower, since Ken shows echoes can be different speeds, and give him the flight ability, Chrom shows echoes can have a unique move, and that'd be good enough at this point.
I honestly thought echoes always could be different speeds...for some reason ^^;

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I honestly thought echoes always could be different speeds...for some reason ^^;
I don't know, it's pretty weird. You have echoes with unique moves (Chrom), differing stats (Ken), unique properties (Lucina) and yet somehow characters like Pichu and Young/Toon Link aren't categorized in them.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't know, it's pretty weird. You have echoes with unique moves (Chrom), differing stats (Ken), unique properties (Lucina) and yet somehow characters like Pichu and Young/Toon Link aren't categorized in them.
Young Link and Toon Link are not echoes because they are so different from the standard Link, especially after the latter's moveset was changed to reflect Breath of the Wild.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Young Link and Toon Link are not echoes because they are so different from the standard Link, especially after the latter's moveset was changed to reflect Breath of the Wild.
True. I should have clarified that I meant of each other. I haven't unlocked Toon Link, but Young Link does feel pretty similar to how Links played before.

D

Deleted member

I'll be honest, at this point I'm not expecting Tails, even though I'd love for him to be in the game alongside Sonic--he's like Mario's Luigi!

But at the same time, I've also gone through valleys of disappointment before, only to resurface vindicated. Examples: when Mewtwo was cut (then returned), when Ivysaur and Squirtle were cut (then returned), when Ganondorf never had a sword (and now he does), and when Daisy was a Peach recolor for 3 games (and is now playable!). All of these things really bothered me until my wishes came true, and so I would never say it's impossible for Tails to be in Smash, we may just have to wait a little longer.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Comeon Mii costume pack. I am hoping for you... at least you kind of felt like Tails (& Knuckles). I also wish they did more costume for characters (like Wario, Alph for Olimar, and the Koopalings for Bowser Jr). It would be nice to have at least a Shadow costume for Sonic as well.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Comeon Mii costume pack. I am hoping for you... at least you kind of felt like Tails (& Knuckles). I also wish they did more costume for characters (like Wario, Alph for Olimar, and the Koopalings for Bowser Jr). It would be nice to have at least a Shadow costume for Sonic as well.
I actually just realized that we kind of forgot that Smash 4 began with no 3rd party Mii costumes either. I think that should at least put some credence into 3rd party costumes returning at some point. They're likely still content that needs to be somewhat talked to with the companies even if they're not as big as actual 3rd party characters.

Maybe when Joker is added, a Sega pack will come in with the returning Sonic and Virtua Fighter costumes. Along with maybe some new costumes like Eggman, Shadow, Other Persona characters, Rodin/Bayonetta characters, etc.

Top Bottom