• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I was wrong" thread

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
I definitely doubted her before E3 and didn't think she could have a unique moveset. Turns out she's a semi-clone. :)

Dan

Smash Lord
Well I knew she was unique and not an Echo, but wasn't sure if she was a semi-clone; there's already another thread just like this and someone had the salient point that she's to Villager what Luigi is to Mario.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I didn’t doubt her one bit, but I wasn’t expecting her to be today’s reveal

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm very happy I was wrong about her echo-ness! She's bringing back semi-clones which means more cool characters with slightly less dev time :3

DGAMER

Smash Apprentice
GG Well played. Thought the Echo introduction meant the end of semi-clones. At least she seems to be rather unique enough.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The thread should be called “I was wrong about Isabelle’s pacifism and/or her being an echo." IMO.

The latter issue has been a one-sided deal that never got much thought for Smashboards speculators beyond the thought of echoes. :L

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The only thing I was wrong about is not minding Isabelle.

She is the first smash character I hate that she is included.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I thought that the devs would find it distasteful that things like Ridley and K. Rool's final smashes can happen to her, or Wario can fart on her despite not deserving it at all, and she would remain an unharmable Assist Trophy. Every other character did something bad and has the resilience to take it (assuming they have a defined personality), but not Isabelle (as far as I can see).

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The only thing i as wrong about is echo

I knew she was in after the smash direct dodging the bullets two times in a row

Last edited:

slambros

Smash Ace
I was wrong about Isabelle being a viable Smash character because I thought her inclusion would be a disservice to her pacifist character, but I'm alright with this. This is absolutely alright. I'm happy for the fans and I'm happy with how the character turned out. With how Isabelle's been a face of the series, she had become a Nintendo all-star worthy of inclusion, and it had been dumb of me to think otherwise.

On another related note, the announcement of a new Animal Crossing makes me extremely happy.

:131:

Last edited:

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
I was wrong in a good way. With all the leaks and the very obvious hints to her inclusion (missing assist trophy) i never thought she would be a unique fighter. I was proven wrong

TIME FOR THE CELEBRATIONS

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I had a feeling she would be in.

I was wrong about her being a straight echo though.

Should I main?

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
I believe I tried blinding myself to Isabelle as a potential character. Isabelle's franchise is one I've never had a taste for as I always thought I would rather do what the game entailed in real life (I feel the same towards sports games). But, even then the evidence slowly seeped in and I slowly had to think of her potential and realize she had a shot.
If she brings something worth wild I understand and accept her inclusion. even if I don't like her or her franchise I understand that she has and had a following within and without smash so I won't let my spite diminish my character or reflect badly on those I align with.

Here's to hoping she's a great character.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
I just have never personally cared for the character. Off the speculated echoes, I expected her the least and I certainly never remotely thought she would be a unique. GG, she actually looks kinda interesting and I may try her out on release.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I was wrong in the fact that she would be an echo. But I always knew she was gonna get in one way or the other. It just made too much sense for her to be here. While I never visited the speculation thread. I always did want her in the game she will be a secondary of mine for sure.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Alright I admit it.

I didnt want or expected her.

I didn’t want a second AC character.

I didn’t want a Villager Echo. (Which means I technically got that wish)

I expected her to remain an Assist.

I thought it would be OOC of her to fight or kill others.

But you know what? I’m happy she’s in.

Last edited:

grizby2

Smash Lord
I'm very happy I was wrong about her echo-ness! She's bringing back semi-clones which means more cool characters with slightly less dev time :3
that's what im thinking. she probably didn't need that much time to make.

they had her model already (just fix up the texture and make more bodygroups for the eyes and mouth ect...
semi-cloney-ness makes a moveset for her super easy to create.
a few taunts and victory animations.
no voice actress needed for her either.

makes sense that we'd get a casual character from a casual Nintendo direct. i guess they were just.... TossINg uS a BonE~

im not exactly ENTHRALLED that we got isabelle… but, so long as she didn't take a ton of resources and time to create, im fine with it.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I entertained the thought of her being unique but I didn’t see it happening.
I was also hesitant on them actually including Isabelle due to it making her not true to character.

Boy how big of a fool I was.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
I definitely don't think she'd be anything other than an echo. But she looks interesting, and I'll enjoy trying her out.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Was wrong about her being an Echo Fighter. I mean she's a big deal with how she's promoted but I never pay attention to that stuff I guess.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I fully expected her and looked forward to her inevitable inclusion. But I thought she'd be a Chrom-tier Echo Fighter. I was pleasantly surprised to find Sakurai saw more potential in her than I did.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Could say I was partially wrong on her getting to fully unique per say, especially due her pacifist nature - just felt it was a ton for her credit to be put that much work on as a newcomer when she could have been an Echo and still made ton of people happy.

Seems like a medium of sorts was struck, where she's unique enough, but also based on Villager all same. Neat.:4pacman:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I think everyone thought she'd be playable in some capacity, I thought she'd just be an echo like many others.

I'm still underwhelmed by her trailer and really wish we got something more exciting (something I found more exciting personally ofc).

That said, I hate that she's starting to grow on me, damnit.

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
Could say I was partially wrong on her getting to fully unique per say, especially due her pacifist nature - just felt it was a ton for her credit to be put that much work on as a newcomer when she could have been an Echo and still made ton of people happy.

Seems like a medium of sorts was struck, where she's unique enough, but also based on Villager all same. Neat.:4pacman:
To be honest, the "pacifist" argument was WAY out of proportion, just by that one quote were she says she dislikes confrontations, of course the nature of Animal Crossing as a series is really laid back and most characters have an easy going nature, positive disposition where conflict is really trivial and cartoony. Isabelle was willing to put any "troublesome" villagers in their place if you actually had a "problem" with them.

I really hope people don't use those kind of arguments in the future to discard a character, greetings

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
To be honest, the "pacifist" argument was WAY out of proportion, just by that one quote were she says she dislikes confrontations, of course the nature of Animal Crossing as a series is really laid back and most characters have an easy going nature, positive disposition where conflict is really trivial and cartoony. Isabelle was willing to put any "troublesome" villagers in their place if you actually had a "problem" with them.

I really hope people don't use those kind of arguments in the future to discard a character, greetings
So, you're saying that technically we don't know for certain that Isabelle doesn't kneecap problematic Villagers at the Mayor's request? Do we run a dictatorship in New Leaf?

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
That said, I hate that she's starting to grow on me, damnit.
I figured that would happen with a lot of people. Certainly did with me. As soon as I got over the initial shock she just started to feel normal. Plus I really want to fish people into a Lloid rocket.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
I hated the fact Corrin was revealed in the final Direct, yet he was the only DLC character I ended up buying.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I never thought she would have been more than an echo. But that's actually better because I hate the Villager's moveset, so she is now way more interesting for me.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Just out of curiosity, why do you hate Villager's moveset?
Mostly because it doesn't resonate well with me. I can't use most of his moves effectively, like the tree or the slingshot, so I overall suck at using him. When I did the "Complete All-Star mode with every character on hard" challange, I managed to do it without much problem with every character except Villager. I think it took me a dozen attempts before I succeed.

So it's basically that I suck with him, that's all really lol.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Only things I was wrong about was all the moves being unique, and more than one would have emphasized a clumsy side. I was mostly confident that Isabelle would get a more extensive treatment than being an Echo, and I'm glad to see that I was actually right about that.

So thank you once again, Sakurai.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Mostly because it doesn't resonate well with me. I can't use most of his moves effectively, like the tree or the slingshot, so I overall suck at using him. When I did the "Complete All-Star mode with every character on hard" challange, I managed to do it without much problem with every character except Villager. I think it took me a dozen attempts before I succeed.

So it's basically that I suck with him, that's all really lol.
Fair enough. Can't say I relate since I personally like playing Villager, but hey that's how it goes. There's probably characters I suck with that you're pretty okay with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom