• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I was wrong" thread.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I always knew the whole vocal minority argument against K. Rool was terrible ever since that Geno interview in 2016 where Sakurai admitted Geno was a really popular character.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Only thing I was wrong about was that he wouldn't be in this direct.

I thought K.Rool had a good shot this time and had been saying so for months.

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
I kept thinking that if he was revealed, it wouldn't be today. I kept saying before I slept last night that he would not be in.

I've never felt glad to be wrong more than I feel glad now.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Last night I said I didn't think K. Rool would be in the Direct. From the moment Ridley was revealed I had suspected Sakurai would be focusing on adding fan favorites. I just didn't think he'd be revealed so soon. In fact I was mentally preparing myself for him being shown as a boss or assist trophy just in case.

I have never been more happy to be completely wrong. Long live the king!

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Honestly, I thought adding another Donkey Kong character would just add to Mario's overrepresentation.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I never thought I could get my two most wanted Nintendo characters (Ridley and K. Rool) in back to back Directs.

Damn, Daddy Sakurai proved me wrong there! :laugh:

Also I was doubtful of K. Rool's chances until we got another DKC game announced... until Ridley was confirmed. Then I was reasonably positive. Wasn't nearly positive enough; I only gave him a 60% shot of being playable in this game at all last night! :chuckle:

Glad to be wrong though, always glad to be wrong!

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
I was never against him, but I was prepared to accept that he would never see the light of day again.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Honestly, I thought adding another Donkey Kong character would just add to Mario's overrepresentation.
So, if we count DK, Yoshi and Wario as part of the Mario series...

First-party series represented in Smash have something around 1.5 billion physical copies sold. Of those, about 700 million are from those series. About 47%.

There are 60 first-party characters. Of those, 13 are from those series, or 22%.

Doesn't seem overrepresented to me.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Doubted at very first when I started speculation, then I found more about the character and became a supporter, then overtime his supporters began to become a bit too persistent for my tastes and as I result I lost interest.

Happy he got in though!

D

Deleted member

I was always pretty neutral on the King, but I thought him being being absent from his own series as of late seriously impacted his chances. I was completely wrong, and I'm so happy. He looks like a blast to play, and his Final Smash is easily one of my favorites.

Groose

Smash Champion
I didn't think he would make it this time. He was still my most wanted, but I gave up hope this time.

:D

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Even though K. Rool was my most-wanted newcomer, I did have doubts. The fact that there were vocal (but dumb) arguments against him, as well as Vergeben, and also he'd been dormant for 10 years, did make my hopes crushed a little bit.

I'm glad those doubts are put to bed forever. :) I will be enjoying him thoroughly and I want to know immediately when his amiibo figure is up for preorder.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I always thought Dixie would come first. Since she wasn't seen yet I'm bitterly, but happy to be proven wrong.

But I wonder how they will top this.

Pryze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Apollon1an
Always thought K. Rool deserved a spot on the roster, but I def had my doubts (largely due to his lack of appearances in recent DK titles). Too see him Ultimate makes me way happier than it should--for those who want to play him, especially.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
DK has been his own thing for a while now, though, with the exception of occasional crossover games like "Mario vs. DK".

Mario and KRool have never been in the same game until now, same with Diddy until Brawl.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
DK has been his own thing for a while now, though, with the exception of occasional crossover games like "Mario vs. DK".

Mario and KRool have never been in the same game until now, same with Diddy until Brawl.
They were both in Mario Super Sluggers in 08. K.Rool being in Smash Bros took him from being near extinct to talk of the town.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman

That's not true to be totally fair. Diddy was in Double Dash before Brawl, for instance. And K. Rool was in Mario Super Sluggers. But I believe those were the only times unless I'm forgetting some. But absolutely agree that DK, moreso than Wario and especially Yoshi, is a completely separate franchise from Mario, despite the crossovers and shared origin.

D

Deleted member

I honestly was more suprised to see Ridley than King k. Rool. K. Fool just to seemed expected to make it to ultimate because of his high demand, and the fact Sakurai listens to his community closely. Eitherway, im happy they both made it!

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Diddy's been playable in a lot of Mario Sports games. Mario Golf Toadstool Tour, Mario Kart Double Dash, Mario Power Tennis, Mario Superstar Baseball, Mario Hoops 3-on-3, Mario Strikers Charged, Mario Super Sluggers, Mario Sports Mix, Mario Tennis Open, Mario Golf World Tour, Mario Sports Superstars. And Mario first appeared in the first Donkey Kong game. So Donkey Kong part of the Mario universe like Wario and Yoshi so DK characters like King K Rool do add to the Mario over representation. Giving series symbols to Donkey Kong, Wario and Yoshi is just an excuse to count spinoffs as their own universes.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
They started off as Mario characters. But those spinoffs evolved into their own complete series, I think is the point. They've separated enough from the Mario universe.

StormC

Smash Hero
Diddy's been playable in a lot of Mario Sports games. Mario Golf Toadstool Tour, Mario Kart Double Dash, Mario Power Tennis, Mario Superstar Baseball, Mario Hoops 3-on-3, Mario Strikers Charged, Mario Super Sluggers, Mario Sports Mix, Mario Tennis Open, Mario Golf World Tour, Mario Sports Superstars. And Mario first appeared in the first Donkey Kong game. So Donkey Kong part of the Mario universe like Wario and Yoshi so DK characters like King K Rool do add to the Mario over representation. Giving series symbols to Donkey Kong, Wario and Yoshi is just an excuse to count spinoffs as their own universes.
Give me a break.

The Donkey Kong and Wario series have their own cast, settings, gameplay styles, and tones completely separate from Mario. Yoshi isn't quite there yet... but Yoshi is also usually more involved with the mainline Mario games than DK and Wario are (which is to say, at all).

If K. Rool is a Mario character, then so are Banjo-Kazooie and Conker. They exist in the same "universe" but they are franchises unto themselves.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
That's not true to be totally fair. Diddy was in Double Dash before Brawl, for instance. And K. Rool was in Mario Super Sluggers. But I believe those were the only times unless I'm forgetting some. But absolutely agree that DK, moreso than Wario and especially Yoshi, is a completely separate franchise from Mario, despite the crossovers and shared origin.
Ack, that's right...

But yeah, Mario and KKR have never fought in a canon setting, not even close.

And Wario spiraled off into dungeon delving and software development a long time ago so he's barely a part of the Mario franchise, either.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Giving series symbols to Donkey Kong, Wario and Yoshi is just an excuse to count spinoffs as their own universes.
No one is arguing that they're spinoffs, but the spinoffs don't involve the original universes even one bit, and that's the point.

DKC featured a struggle that was completely independent from Mario. There wasn't even the slightest mention of Mario in all of DKC (not that I remember anyway).

If people are playing a DK or Wario game and don't feel the need to ask, "Hey, where's Mario...?" then they've officially spunoff into their own independent series.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Give me a break.

The Donkey Kong and Wario series have their own cast, settings, gameplay styles, and tones completely separate from Mario. Yoshi isn't quite there yet... but Yoshi is also usually more involved with the mainline Mario games than DK and Wario are (which is to say, at all).

If K. Rool is a Mario character, then so are Banjo-Kazooie and Conker. They exist in the same "universe" but they are franchises unto themselves.
It seems like people confuse "Shared Universe" with actually having a separate Franchise.

Like, no **** Mario, DK and Wario exist in the same universe, but they each have their own game franchise. This is undeniable.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
It seems like people confuse "Shared Universe" with actually having a separate Franchise.

Like, no **** Mario, DK and Wario exist in the same universe, but they each have their own game franchise. This is undeniable.
And I feel like it matters very little in games where the "universe" we're in is a hazy concept at best.

Mario Odyssey may have introduced some "real world" settings, but before that, it had a nebulous "Mushroom Kingdom" which was just kind of its own place. Miyamoto never sat down and drew a map of how the Mushroom Kingdom connects with the real world and good luck nailing down what's even "canon" in these games.

Also, KKR's inclusion means we now have a villain for every one of the original 8 characters (Yoshi's being Bowser, since Yoshi fought Bowser at the end of Yoshi's Story, not Kamek) which is a more key part of the whole thing, I feel.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I pointed out that Mario/DK/Yoshi/Wario represents about half of all Nintendo console/handheld games sold, and that's not counting the fact that they also represent a disproportionate amount of their revenue from other media (Mario has had multiple TV shows, for example, DKC had a TV series and DK was a major part of Pixels) and especially merchandise. Mario games, especially Mario Kart and the main series, are also tentpole games that actually sell consoles, so they boost the sales of other series too. So how exactly is it overrepresented, given that it has 10 completely unique characters, one sort-of-clone (Luigi), one semi-clone (Dr. Mario) and one Echo (Daisy)? That's about 18% of the roster, or 20% of the first-party characters... How is that too much for a group of series that represents like half of Nintendo's business?

And that's without addressing the fact that, you know, Mario debuted in a game called Donkey Kong, and his original name was Jumpman. Donkey Kong existed before Mario even had a name. He wasn't named Mario until Donkey Kong Jr, there was no Mario-titled game until Mario Bros. (Game & Watch) and it wasn't until Mario Bros. (arcade) released that there was a game with recognizable Mario series elements. Donkey Kong got a playable appearance in Donkey Kong Circus (G&W handheld) soon after, still featuring Mario.

While Mario certainly overshadows Donkey Kong, it's more accurate to either call Mario a spinoff of Donkey Kong OR to say that the two series are co-branches from the original Donkey Kong game.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
I was 50/50 on his chances. Before that Direct, I thought it was gonna be either Dixie or K. Rool. Now he's here, and now I believe we'll also get Dixie Kong between Chrom proving Echoes don't need to match their base character's moveset 1:1, and Metroid getting both Ridley and Dark Samus.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm deeply sorry for not wanting a character I heavily dislike because of his personality, design and moveset potential and whose fanbase make my time as a Smash For fan significantly less pleasant.
I'm also sorry for thinking characters from 21th century will have priority over him.
I was wrong, he's in the game. I'm not glad for you, exactly, but I hope it's worth it and Smash speculation can be nicer towards less popular characters now that you got your King.

Top Bottom