• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I was wrong thread/ What a reveal!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Oh my goodness.

That reveal was bloody brilliant! Harkening back to the DK trailer- showing the relationship to the fake outs, to Rare, to the fanbase of the time.
Repetition is a key resource in artistic creation, and they were splendid!

How are you all feeling now that they were revealed!?

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Moral of the story: It ain't over until it's over. Both the Banjo fan and Dragon Quest fan inside me are elated about the reveal.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I'm a supporter and I was wrong.

Once I saw the Hero appear, I thought it was all.

Boy was I wrong!

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I marked out!!!!

The trolled us big time when they first showed the trailer. I legitimately thought we were getting Dixie for a moment lmao

ChinaCat

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4209 0037 4617
I must have checked the clock 50 times between 12:35 and 12:40 seeing if it was really gonna end without another reveal lol. I'm so happy to be posting this in the CHARACTER FORUM!!!

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I was wrong. Not because I didn't want them to join the battle, but because I expected them to show someone else/only The Dragon Quest characters. Congrats to those who fought this long battle to get Banjo and Kazooie in Smash. You earned it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I supported Banjo, but I was never active on his thread.
I always deemed him impossible because he was owned by Microsoft and we never had someone from them or Sony in Smash before. After seeing Nintendo get buddy-buddy with Microsoft, I thought it was possible for it to happen... but I still had doubts.
But I am glad to be wrong. I still can't believe this happened at all!

xwingz900

Smash Apprentice
I am so ready to play this character! And I get to mess around with Erdrick/hero in the meantime? What a double win!

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
That reveal was DIRTY.

I was thinking it was Porky (Villains)
and then I was thinking it was Dixie.
.... and THEN i had no idea. and Boom. Banjo.

Not too happy with it as Im not a big banjo fan, but eh, its better than DoomGuy.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
And with that, only one character left so every single smash character I ever wanted gets in smash.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I marked out!!!!

The trolled us big time when they first showed the trailer. I legitimately thought we were getting Dixie for a moment lmao
Duck Hunt Dog is the best troll character. He finally did exactly what I wanted him to do in any Smash 4 trailer - laugh at the fans of a popular "deconfirmed" character.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I will admit. I was wrong about them being at E3. I was really worried due to Microsoft's Conference. I think Xbox was the one to beat. I was wrong. Nintendo won this year's E3.

(However, I always believed they would make it in at some point. They are too important not to.)

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I gave up hope as early as Isabel. I thought it could never happen after the microsoft buyout. I got my hoped up after K rool and Ridley but those Hopes died with box theory, piranha plant, and Joker.
I've never been more happy.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
I was hopeful but guarded. I didn't want to be burned again, and I was losing faith. The Hero trailer right before I had to go perform teacher responsibilities was a bummer in spite of how fun they look, only because I thought it meant the rumors about the bear and bird were dead. Finally getting a peek at a computer just in time to see the reveal in real time was everything I ever wanted. Welcome back, buddies!

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I thought they wouldn’t get it in. I have no personal connection to the character, but I respect their popularity and legacy as a smash request. Good choice on Nintendo’s part and it’s good to have a character who survived the Grinch leak. Look forward to playing as him, and hopefully this opens the door to Master Chief down the line.

Last edited:

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
After ages of waiting and wishing from direct to direct from Smash 4 to the melee days. I gotta say that... I am ECSTATIC. I love seeing these characters getting so much love and I can't wait to see if anything further will happen down the line! Hopefully it will be Fall' sooner than later!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So Microsoft's iron grip on Rare Ltd. got loose. Congrats to the bear and bird for making it, and knowing that they've kept their typical voice clips makes the comeback even better (compared to K. Rool, who's too cartoonish to be sounding like a real world crocodile).

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I have seen too many videos supporting Banjo. But I didn't want to get my hopes up for anyone who hadn't been confirmed. It's crazy how a direct competitor had made it into Smash, isn't it? If console competitors can now be in Smash, who else?

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
As much as I wanted them in I really did think that Steve from Minecraft made more sense promotion and money wise for a Microsoft rep. I am super glad I was wrong. The roster is now complete to me and the last two characters are just icing on the cake.

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
To be frank, I thought that Steve was the single most likely character for DLC. I did not expect them to opt for characters who had not seen the light of day in a decade, but I was wrong. Congratulations for reviving the bear and bird, returning them to the forefront, and reuniting them with their Rare friends!

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
If there was anyone more publicly WRONG, it was me

In the main thread I was THE guy rooting for them; I was always looking all over the internet for EVERY possible scrap of information or evidence that would point to their inclusion and rallying everyone for the cause! Yet... I had my faith shaken and broken at the Xbox Conference with no new game reveal despite all of the evidence pointing towards tie-ins, and I became a total mope; alienating the friends I made here because I was so sure that it was simply not meant to be

Never in my life have I been more happy to be proven wrong.

I screamed, I nearly cried. Today was beautiful, and I'll gladly take the walk of shame

ze9

Smash Ace
I was wrong, too.
After shinobi's post I was dead certain Banjo and Kazooie were getting in, but that Hero trailer really made me sure it was not going to happen.

And it's great that I was wrong. The reveal was perfect, and they cure they put into bear & bid is amazing, their moveset and their trailer are full of references (they even referenced Sssslumber), and I bet they are the single most animated character in the roster :')

Happy to admit I was wrong, never been happier to admit that!

Always thought that bear and bird polled decently in the ballot, but never thought that the stars would align and the powers that be would allow and arrange for Banjo-Kazooie to make Smash. Was not too nervous about the Hero trailer, considering the mural was not updated straight away I was still hopefull that the strong rumours would be accurate. But in general it just seemed like there was too many obstacles and that there were more seemingly obvious and safer characters. That tentativeness has pretty much been thrown out the window from here on in.

But the main thing is that:

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 7.54.44 pm.png

Woo hoo!

Last edited by a moderator:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So excited, and feels like a burden has been lifted--it's been too long and it's great to see them back.

I was nodding off through half the Direct, and we all became apologetic of how some of us stayed up for this (namely my friend from the Netherlands who was on Facetime, he was tired). I was surprised when the trailer started, my friend jumped out of his chair and squeezed my shoulders--didn't expect that much pre-emptive hype from him. My mind was still in denial mode, having been disappointed far too often. And then then that jiggy flew passed the screen. Despite preparing for this, I was still in shock.

I will admit, when I first saw them--I didn't know what to feel. It was great seeing them, though there was this uncanny feeling, a mixture of "this still can't be real" and "not... quite how I pictured it?" But all of that was thrown out the window when I saw them in action, and the music, the references, and the recreation of the ending filled me with nostalgia. When Banjo & Kazooie appeared in that art with his Nintendo friends and other gaming icons, I started to tear up--it felt like Sakurai was talking directly to me. Amazing how transcendent video games can be. And, of course, after watching the trailer and reactions a million times, their design feels perfect, and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Been away from posting here for a while, but came back to comment on this.

It's been a week, but wow. I actually cried several times that day. B&K weren't on my support list because I didn't think I would want to play as them in Smash over other characters, but my god their reveal gut-punched me in the feels. I grew up with the N64 games and was sad to see them fade away into mediocrity and obscurity over the past 19 years since Tooie. I think most of us long-time fans needed that closure to put the last two decades behind us; it was cathartic to see them honored in a way that respected what we loved about them as kids. Their moveset looks fun and interesting, and it was an amazing feeling to be able to identify where they came from.

I guess I never put together all of the pieces that would come with them joining Smash, but the amalgamation of the content represented encapsulates a very special part of my childhood. I'm so glad to see them finally home.

Last edited:
Top Bottom