• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rant / Other I want to play professionally...

Sethrow

Smash Rookie
I’ve been in the smash world since I was 10 years old, I’m now 18 and I’m doing extremely well at local tournaments. I never thought I’d be able to do that well but my results make me wanna try harder and fight more people. The problem is I’m really inexperienced and I need some pointers for competitive tournaments. I don’t care for prizes too much, the thrill is enough for me. If anyone has some recommendations I’m opened to listen!

Rᴀᴍᴇɴ

Smash Rookie
Well, it's quite hard to answer your question. I feel as if you're question a bit... broad. Could you rephrase your question, so it's a lot more specific?

Goomboi

Smash Apprentice
I’ve been in the smash world since I was 10 years old, I’m now 18 and I’m doing extremely well at local tournaments. I never thought I’d be able to do that well but my results make me wanna try harder and fight more people. The problem is I’m really inexperienced and I need some pointers for competitive tournaments. I don’t care for prizes too much, the thrill is enough for me. If anyone has some recommendations I’m opened to listen!
What do you struggle with at tournaments?

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
As someone who only ever played tournaments at the local level through the tail end of PM and the entirety of Smash 4 (And sadly only a few Smash Ultimate so far), here's a few general things to consider:

1.) Your practice schedule/Practice Partners. Even if prizes aren't your concern, I assume playing well and placing well in general are still a goal. Practice seems like a 'duh, of course' type of suggestion but it's something you shouldn't skip out on. Even just running basic muscle memory drills is important. Also find solid practice partners. Ideally folks who are 'above your paygrade'. This not only gets you experience with better folks but helps you start to be better in general and learn your areas common match ups but allows you to study their habits. A bit of mutual espionage in that regard.

2.) Define to yourself what 'Professionally' means. Pro as in playing at something like Evo and big majors or 'Pro' as in a local "Boss" that gives folks a run for their money. Because that will help you focus your goals and expectations. I'd assume you want to be a local pro because you'd probably not want to be going to majors if prizes mean little to you. Unless you have expendable cash that can cover travel, lodging, entry fees and other expenses and possibly bustering out day 1 is no big loss monetarily.

3.) Train Tournament Nerves. Just by attending locals you'll overcome these, if you have them. But they can be a real run ender. Some play music to help. Also dealing with spectators or crowds can be difficult, especially when people have no boundaries in local settings, often crowds standing RIGHT behind you and often bumping your chair. Truly one of the most annoying things about tournaments, Smash ones in specific. Etiquette can be pretty bad.

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Playing "professionally" kind of implies you don't mind doing what you need to, to win. I'm someone who does mind, and I'd never sacrifice the integrity of my playstyle to always win. This also somewhat extends to your character choice.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Playing "professionally" kind of implies you don't mind doing what you need to, to win. I'm someone who does mind, and I'd never sacrifice the integrity of my playstyle to always win. This also somewhat extends to your character choice.
I wouldn't attach 'professional' to 'will do anything to win'. They aren't mutually exclusive. There are plenty of professional players who stick to their characters regardless of how 'bad' the character might be. Professional really only means you're playing at a top level on the regular with the potential for sponsors and frequent a lot of major tournaments. You make it sound 'sleazy' almost with your aforementioned definition.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I wouldn't attach 'professional' to 'will do anything to win'. They aren't mutually exclusive. There are plenty of professional players who stick to their characters regardless of how 'bad' the character might be. Professional really only means you're playing at a top level on the regular with the potential for sponsors and frequent a lot of major tournaments. You make it sound 'sleazy' almost with your aforementioned definition.
The first part of your reply is correct-- a good answer. As for the last part, I believe that is why Oz o: Oz o: said, "I'd never sacrafice my integrity..."

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Professional means you do it as your job.
Profession is a synonym of job.
These other definitions seem silly.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Professional means you do it as your job.
Profession is a synonym of job.
These other definitions seem silly.
There are several definitions for Professional.

1 : relating to an occupation : of or as an expert professional advice.

2 : taking part in an activity (as a sport) in order to make money.

3 : participated in by people who are paid to compete professional sports.

4 : having or showing a quality appropriate in a profession I.E. He did a very professional job.

Making money =/= being a job as seen by definition 2. You can be a professional player but also not make it a career. Many Pro smash players aren't full time smashers as it isn't actually a feasible 'job'. They supplement any earnings they might make with a full time job or through streaming or something. And some become pro players not for the money but for the thrill/challenge/prestige that comes with higher level play.

Goomboi

Smash Apprentice
If your trying to go "pro" in any game for money your doing it for the wrong reasons.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
If your trying to go "pro" in any game for money your doing it for the wrong reasons.
In your opinion. Just because some don't go pro for the money doesn't mean others don't. People 'go pro' in a variety of things for their own personal reasons. Neither is 'correct' or 'wrong'. Personally if I was great at a sport and could make a massive living off it I'd probably do so even if it wasn't my dream career. Doesn't make me 'wrong' for doing so.

Goomboi

Smash Apprentice
In your opinion. Just because some don't go pro for the money doesn't mean others don't. People 'go pro' in a variety of things for their own personal reasons. Neither is 'correct' or 'wrong'. Personally if I was great at a sport and could make a massive living off it I'd probably do so even if it wasn't my dream career. Doesn't make me 'wrong' for doing so.
I was just saying how you should enjoy the game somewhat. You shouldn't play solely for money. You shouldn't try to get good at a game only for money imo.

Top Bottom