• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I want to get better at Melee

Daitan

Banned via Warnings
Slippi.gg
DTN#825
So, I'm in the position where I start to getting good but I don't use a lot wavedash, waveshine (I main Falco) and other "advanced" technics, but I seriously want to get better at this game that I found incredibly better than other smash and non-smash games.
What would be you advices go get good ?
Where could I ask for guys that would train me/ teach me new things by playing ?
Is there an AI bot in the net that worth the time to set it up and play ?
Thanks for answers !

A Croissant

Smash Rookie
I would recommend that you get unclepunch's training pack. It will show you your L-cancel and wavedash timing, which helps a lot if you are learning on your own as a new player. The 2.0 version of the training pack is what I use, and the 3.0 is available to patrons of Unclepunch. You should also get 20XX and turn on the red flash on failed L-cancels, that worked great for me when I was starting. Slippi also has the same red flash system.
Beyond that, I personally found SSBM tutorials to be really good for basic explanations.

BIG D Was Taken

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
BIGD#791
So, I'm in the position where I start to getting good but I don't use a lot wavedash, waveshine (I main Falco) and other "advanced" technics, but I seriously want to get better at this game that I found incredibly better than other smash and non-smash games.
What would be you advices go get good ?
Where could I ask for guys that would train me/ teach me new things by playing ?
Is there an AI bot in the net that worth the time to set it up and play ?
Thanks for answers !
a thing that most newbies don't get is that you shouldn't focus on tech skill and tryhard it without getting any neutral work done, try to divise your time correctly with Uncle Punch's training mod and the unranked experience ( aka playing falco only )
other tips include :

1) watch your losses / wins to see what you're doing correctly and what you're ****ing up, helps you see the bad habits that you wouldn't notice in gameplay
and the good stuff

2) watch top players that use your character, since the falco mains are a dying race there's only mang0 and westballz left, also, by watching, i don't mean copying everything that they do, a lot of players that take inspiration from mango end up playing really bad because of it, try to look into the more general side of stuff like his fade back bait lasers while his opponent expects an aerial etc...

3) accept your losses, this doesn't mean that you should not try as hard as you can to win, its just that you shouldn't expect yourself to win everytime or end up blaming it on characters, playstyles etc... . losing is an integral part of any learning experience and its normal.

4) the difference between unranked and a real match, when you're playing in unranked, you're there to learn, when you're in a tourney, you're there to win.

5) watch way too many smash videos until you become insane and read smash boards all day long
pros : you're not getting 0-2ed in pools
cons : you're in a mental asylum

Top Bottom